Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New Registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [wta]Security door

supersound
post Apr 17 2014, 08:28 PM

10k Club
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(shinchan99 @ Apr 17 2014, 05:38 PM)
Anyone has been using security door long enough? Say 2-3 years? What's your feedback on this?

Recently went to the Perfect Living exhibition at PWTC and this idea came into my mind.. But manage to scout around for these doors during the exhibition, notice immediately there are some selling at premium price but VERY GOOD finishing and quality wise is there just by the view of it.. Also i do notice cheaper ones which has a rather lousy quality too..

Since the security door is so "secured" , what are the chances of this door to be spoilt? Probably due to the locking mechanism or due to key hole failure etc..? Any inputs will be much appreciated smile.gif
Have to got how many bar are used to lock your door. If just like normal door, I only need a 14KG cylinder to break open the door.

QUOTE(cstkl1 @ Apr 17 2014, 08:22 PM)
Afaik its the the locks.. Their inside is not rust etc proof. Once in a while wd40.
Avoid using WD40 on all cost, use silicone lubricant are better thumbup.gif
supersound
post Apr 17 2014, 08:41 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(cstkl1 @ Apr 17 2014, 08:31 PM)
??? Thought all things that has metal movements use wd40. Explain dude pro n con n y silicon lub
http://www.wynnsusa.com/shop.aspx
I'm using wynn's silicone lubricant.
I choose this over WD40 as WD40 actually damage the surface more.
While silicone lubricant will provide a protecting layer on the surface and lubricates the internal of a lock.
Wynn's are quite expensive, you can try to look for cheaper brand at hardware shops.
supersound
post Apr 17 2014, 08:51 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(cstkl1 @ Apr 17 2014, 08:45 PM)
Ok read enough n made a call to locksmith i keep as emergency number.  Both of us are wrong
He said use graphite powder.
Wd not advisable but wont damage the lock n stay away from silicone lub for locks.
All the time I'm using silicone lubricant sweat.gif sweat.gif
Still, thanks for the heads up on this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_lubricant
supersound
post Apr 17 2014, 10:03 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(cstkl1 @ Apr 17 2014, 09:30 PM)
same here.. for years been like spraying WD on everything..

today lol googled the subject and had many episodes of  doh.gif  doh.gif  doh.gif

saw few video on that graphite thingy.

then again a final  doh.gif  doh.gif  doh.gif

now questioning myself who always google on everything.. y i never googled on this and accepted wd40 just because few decades ago uncles etc all told me to.

(somebody needs to create a smiley where i knock my head on the table...)

end of the day

lesson relearned again. never trust solution advice from asian uncles etc.
Now I need to source for this stuff.
Using silicone lubricant so far I have not much problem with it. But not on raining season. It will still flush them away.
supersound
post Apr 18 2014, 11:20 AM

10k Club

QUOTE(shinchan99 @ Apr 18 2014, 09:08 AM)
I saw a few supplier most of their locks mechanism are top bottom and side , with some offered at higher premiums will have lock on top side and bottom side as well.

However, from my observation, these lock mechanisms are all inter-connected, means once you turn the key, all the locks (top+bottom+side) will retract to the frame and lock itself. So in other way to look at it, say if a theft with good knowledge on opening the door with pins or whatever device, just by turning the key direction, all the locks will unlock itself. Does it mean that no matter how many locks we buy (be it top bottom side top side bottom side) it will still be the same?  rclxub.gif  Unless it's like side you have one set of individual key lock, maybe top + bottom another set of individual key lock, the theft will surely have a rough time to open the door aint it?

Anyway just sharing my thoughts here. Not trying to say anything bad about the security door though. Of course we hope there's not much of profesional theft around here.. Coming back to the original question of the durability after going through this whole topic, some pointed out to avoid al-cheapo type, some having experience have to remove the whole security door due to faulty locks etc, it really makes me wonder should i venture into security doors. After some good pointers by supersound and cstkl1 , all we need is just to lubricant the locking mechanism part? Not too tough for a lubricating maintenance job.

thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif
You are right on this. A "good" door's locking mechanism shall cover 4 sides. But if people can duplicate the key or have a "master" key, that's it. Also, thief and robber are different. Mine are more on robbing's thinking, so single door in some sense are better than 1.5 or 2 doors.
Always think the other way round, like thinking on bright side, must think on the dark side also hmm.gif

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0780sec    3.24    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 10:03 PM