Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [wta]Security door

neosaint99
post Dec 27 2012, 03:45 PM

^RedbluE^
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(dialdoor @ Dec 24 2012, 08:01 PM)
Wao...I think the price of your steel door is quite quite cheap. I got it for very high range. Can you please tell me from where you have buy this??
Guys, just a quick note. I see many people recommending some of the cheaper brands like 3k for front and back door package. There are generally a few flaws in the designs of these doors.

1. Hinge is exposed if the door opens outwards. They use normal Full Mortise Hinges. That's the type which you find on most doors. If the hinge is on the inside, it is not too bad. But most back doors open outwards and thus expose the hinges. These can be jacked fairly easily, even if they are 'seal welded'. Fully concealed hinges are the best.

2. Many do not have an all round frame. Most of the cheaper doors have to top and two sides of the frame – like a normal door frame. This leaves a gap between the floor and the bottom of the door, especially if it is poorly installed. My friend experienced this problem. He now has to use a sweeper strip along the bottom to seal from outside dust etc. The main problem here is it creates a pry point.

3. There are a number of security doors that have built in ‘grills’ where we can open a small inner panel for ventilation. To be frank, I’ve looked through many designs and brands. Some have welded in grills etc. which are better but still not ideal. The inner panels are also very weak, especially their locking mechanisms - they can be easily pushed through/punched out with not too much force. If you want a grill, you’ll need a double layer door+grill system. Unfortunately most of these incorporate both into one panel severely reducing safety. If you want ventilation, open your windows wink.gif

4. Check to see that the panel of the door is from a single sheet. Many use multiple pieces welded together to optimize material consumption. Single sheet hydraulically pressed panels are the best.

Hope this helps ya’ll select tongue.gif

neosaint99
post Dec 31 2012, 12:08 AM

^RedbluE^

QUOTE(RickOoi @ Dec 28 2012, 02:16 PM)
Thank you so much Neosaint99 for your explanation. Now I am more educated in selecting a better door.  rclxms.gif
Most welcomed smile.gif
neosaint99
post Dec 31 2012, 10:39 AM

^RedbluE^

QUOTE(pg84 @ Dec 31 2012, 07:35 AM)
I was quoted full ss grade A front big small door + kitchen full ss grade A for 6100 without installation . From fong yong . Compared to new edge/top security , theirs is better cos of the high tensile properties of ss
When you say its better due to the high tensile properties of stainless steel, what are you comparing to? Generally carbon steel has better mechanical properties as compared to stainless steel, though the advantage of SS being inert is a definite plus. Its failure mode is also not as good as CS. There is no such thing as "Grade A" SS in the industry. Try to find out if it is 304, 316, 316L etc. These are the common high grade SSs (corrosion resistance, not strength).

I checked out Fong Yong's doors and from their website, they use the full mortise hinge design on all their doors. If this is true, then it should be a major concern. If they have conceled hinges, then the deal sounds better. Hope there are no 'built-in grills' too... wink.gif

There are high tensile grades of SS but these are generally considered to be more exotic and I doubt they will be used in door construction. They are generally used for pipes that convey corrosive fluids under high pressures.

This post has been edited by neosaint99: Dec 31 2012, 10:45 AM
neosaint99
post Jan 1 2013, 02:15 AM

^RedbluE^

Maybe it was Janus. Got mine from them. Description matches.

QUOTE(wchui22061985 @ Dec 31 2012, 11:25 AM)
Hi sifus,

During an expo, I've seen a company selling security doors, the hinges are concealed within the door frame, so when u close the doors, the hinges are hidden.

And also the door has an extra piece at the edge of the door, so when it closes, it will hide the gap between the door and frame as the extra piece would be on top of the frame.

But I forgot the company name, would anyone know the company or any other company that sells this similar type of doors?
My concern of the hinges and gaps is because, no use having such a heavy duty door, when they can easily destroy it through the hinges and gaps using a crowbar.
neosaint99
post Jan 2 2013, 01:29 AM

^RedbluE^

QUOTE(wchui22061985 @ Jan 1 2013, 03:07 PM)
Thanks neosaint. Yea I think it's this company. How much did you get your doors from em?
i think it was about 2900+ for single back door, all included...previous was the normal plywood door...very flimsy
my front door is solid wood with a grill...quite solid construction and also no money to change...lol sweat.gif
neosaint99
post Jan 6 2013, 01:23 AM

^RedbluE^

If that is the case, they will build a cement border for u. Included in the package for mine, tho it isn't required.

What does urs look like now? Can share some pics for us? smile.gif

QUOTE(feicom @ Jan 4 2013, 11:24 PM)
i just bought one, however the frame is much thicker than i thought, now there is a huge gap between the wall and the frame/jamb mad.gif

any suggestion how i close it ? the frame was like 2 inch thicker that the wall

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0730sec    3.55    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd June 2018 - 08:52 PM