Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My experience with Indon contractors

views

Bishop
post May 6 2011, 12:34 PM

Diagonal Views
815 posts

Architect by profession. blush.gif Doing mostly Hotel ID these days... whistling.gif
I see too many bad design and too many ppl calling themselves ID but only out to make fast buck.

You are building your home, hopefully your dream home. It is worth the time to get a professional to do it. It will not always be more expensive, cause they will get you better value for your money. And save you the headache...
fieznur81
post May 8 2011, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
276 posts

QUOTE(limch @ Apr 30 2011, 09:20 PM)
I'm glad my nightmare is ended.

The Indon contractor recommended to me by a close friend, that he did some good jobs. I trusted my friend's referral and hire the contractor.

In the early phase, things went well. You see progress every week. Work slowed down in second phase with occasional excuses not coming to work. Things get worst in the final phase. He do not turn up for work as if he come in as will. As a result, my reno took 5.5 months (without touch ups) to complete. They asked for payment fast.

I thought that sub labor is a good approach as one has the choice of building materials. Well, I do not think so any more simply you do not have control over them. They lure you with a good quotation and compound with every changes. In the end, there would be any savings. You get headache and tremendous risk. My hardware supplier told me that it is one in a million chances that you get a good Indon contractor. This has got nothing to do with 
nationality or what.

Sub labor + risks + your time = Completed Project

The risks with sub labor are :
They might abandon the project and vanish in thin air.
They might use your materials for other projects.
They tend do things the way they feel right.
To my amazement, they throw the problems to you (especially with materials selected by you).
They played the blaming game.

I'm a reasonable guy with reasonable expectations. I did PR, spent them meal and even give ang pows for CNY. I tell you, they will exploit your kindness. You would not like to have confrontation with them as you do not know what is in their head. They might duplicate keys for future break in. So, taking precaution measures like changing lock is inevitable. 

So speaking from experience, I rather engage a reno company than sub labor. Things will get even worst if you do not have time to supervise. Do the rich man do, pay for professionalism and save cost. 

I'm sorry if my post upset you. I just feel glad that my reno is done and pay the contractor off because I do not like their attitude. I could do the touch ups on my own.
true, true, true...
act like doing their own house, not the customer house.
no that one easier
no that one use too much material, this is cheaper
no la this 3 bag of cement belong to other customer (oh yeah? my house is now your store is it?)
this boxes of 20kg nails? use little only (??? use little, you buy 20kg boxes???)

?????? stupid excuses, want money fast... below my belowest expectation...... shud never engage them..

rclxub.gif rclxub.gif cry.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0105sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:44 AM