Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Headphones The Shure Ownerz Club, KSE1500 electrostatic IEM

views

ezekiel_77
post Jul 9 2015, 11:50 PM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

QUOTE(Crusnik04 @ Jun 12 2015, 02:17 PM)
This are my SE846 just bought it yesterday smile.gif
Nice! Where did you buy this?
Good price?
ezekiel_77
post Aug 3 2015, 10:21 AM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

Hi may I know where you bought the SE846?
Good price?
Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by ezekiel_77: Aug 3 2015, 10:21 AM
ezekiel_77
post Aug 10 2015, 08:56 AM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

QUOTE(Yong1028 @ Aug 7 2015, 02:36 AM)
Hi all sifus and wannabe Shure SE846 owner, jst wanted to share something that I accidentally learned today. Do bear with my somehow broken english as i'm still trying to express my finding in broken audiophile terms smile.gif.

While playing around with the stock filter (White, blue and black), I discovered something peculiar about white filter which gave a much livelier sound coupled with better vocals, improved soundstage and tone's accuracy (Skew toward reference type of sound) which has motivated to me do research while comparing the differences between the blue (neutral) and white filters. My finding is as followed:-

For White (Pros and cons)

1) Improved tone accuracy
2) More pleasing high while the darker/warm sound in blue filter has faded. I tend to enjoy more vocal based song with this filter.
3) Mids become thin, somehow the sound signature has faded.
4) The sound become brighter which might prove to be fatigue for some.
5) The timbre(sound fullness) and bass has reduced by proportion (not too large and small) but the differences is quite obvious compared side by side.

For Blue (Pros and cons)

1) The sound signature retained with a good presentation on mids.
2) The bass is more pronounced with better timbre which lead to "fun" and "enjoyable" listening experience.
3) The mid/low sub-bass is veiled and laid-back compared to the tight bass in white filter. While I must say this, this is not a heaven and earth differences.
4) Being poisoned by the better high extension, tone accuracy and wide sound stage in white filter, going back to blue make it felt undesirable.

Based on the above finding, I'm stuck with both options which has their own goods and bads and how I wish I could just mix them together to become one single ultimate filter. To carry on my feeling, I proceed to "GOOGLE" with the hope of finding a solution (perhaps a third party filter?)

And to my delight, I come across a forum in Head-fi.org which detailed the troubles in both white and blue filter. They have introduced a "Reversible" mods on the blue filter to embed some of the white signature into the existing filter. Moreover, the process is quite simple and reversible. I attached the process and original link below:-

Extract - By olddude

Take the filter, hold it hollow-end up (not the bottom part that goes into the earpiece), take a nice little pin, slide it gently into the hole no more than half-way down (feel your way, the foam should be near the top), angle it a bit, and gently pry up the foam.  Use as little pressure as possible so you don't score the inside of the filter.  Put the foams in a small baggie or other container.  Put the filters in the ear pieces following the Shure instruction manual that came in the box.  Done

Original link - Head-fi.org

With heavy heart I proceed with the mods. AND OH MY GOD! I just cannot believe what I hear! The sound has improved so much that I keep on smiling considering I used more than 6 hours lamenting on the in-between filter comparison. Long story short, summary as followed:-

1) Mids retained, sub-bass retained, sound signature as usual but high extension has improved (I guess same level with white?)
2) The soundstage on other hand complemented with the mid reaching out by end to end of IEM. I'm not suprised if you can hear better instrument seperation with it.
3) While I must believe that the timbre has reduced (as commented by some of forumers), the difference is not obvious and perhaps my ears are just not at the level yet.

And before I suggest everyone to try this mods out, I would like to emphasize on the danger which could lead to losing your stock filters. Do them at your risk and make sure there is enough lighting and steady (x Shaky) hand handling the tools. Try not to go too deep into the filter and only prick the top part of foam. And remember DO NOT THROW THE FOAM EXTRACTED, instead keep them incase if you got tired with the mod and decided to switch back.

As for now, I would conclude my long impression with this equation

SE846 + Silver Cable MMCX + Blue modded filter = Eargasm at it finest smile.gif
Which silver cable would you recommend?
ezekiel_77
post Aug 25 2015, 07:01 PM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

Attached Image

Bought used... what an amazing sound!
Love the white filters the most, brings me closest to neutral with addictive treble brightness while retaining bass detail.

Will be using and loving this for a long time.
ezekiel_77
post Jan 10 2016, 12:23 PM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

QUOTE(shin2l @ Jan 7 2016, 10:45 PM)
So next target is Se846 or KSE1500? brows.gif
One is bass endgame, one is neutral sampai sial haha.
ezekiel_77
post Jan 21 2016, 03:01 PM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

2015: Crazy year for portable audio. Why oh why didn't Shure just add 2 more drivers, release the SE986 and call it a day? I can't afford no electrostats.

...any demo units coming?
ezekiel_77
post Jan 26 2016, 03:05 PM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Jan 25 2016, 10:40 PM)
the very first pair of kse1500 officially expected to arrive tomorrow has been sold!
That's nuts!
ezekiel_77
post Feb 2 2016, 11:49 AM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

Will it be in CanJam though?
ezekiel_77
post Mar 3 2016, 12:57 AM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

QUOTE(sidewinderz @ Mar 2 2016, 01:13 PM)
tried the KSE1500....damn unique soundstage....

Can't afford it...got the SE846 instead.... sweat.gif
They both sound very different though.
You can tahan the KSE1500 treble?
ezekiel_77
post Mar 3 2016, 10:45 AM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

QUOTE(phillip88 @ Mar 3 2016, 08:37 AM)
Maybe someone else will like it thick and stiff.
That's what she said!!
ezekiel_77
post Mar 3 2016, 10:45 AM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

double post sorry.

This post has been edited by ezekiel_77: Mar 3 2016, 10:47 AM
ezekiel_77
post Mar 3 2016, 10:46 AM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

QUOTE(noobandroid @ Mar 3 2016, 07:55 AM)
transfer rate... of an iem... right...
Yeah man, sorta like USB 2.0 and 3.0 y'know?
Makes a 3 minute song seem like 2 minutes.

It's that fast.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0420sec    0.45    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:38 PM