Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ABAP / ABAP Object / SAPScript / Smartforms, Single thread on SAP programming tools

views

TSwiraone
post Apr 19 2011, 08:23 AM, updated 5y ago

Who cares about all the stars?
3,839 posts

Since there is no single thread on SAP programming tools, I believe this thread should help forumners that are into SAP development but couldn't find (or lost) when trying to get help.

What is ABAP?

ABAP (Advanced Business Application Programming, originally Allgemeiner Berichts-Aufbereitungs-Prozessor, German for "general report creation processor" [1]), pronounced as 'ah-bop', is a high-level programming language created by the German software company SAP. It is currently positioned, alongside the more recently introduced Java, as the language for programming the SAP Application Server, part of its NetWeaver platform for building business applications. The syntax of ABAP is somewhat similar to COBOL.

What is ABAP Object?

The ABAP language supports object-oriented programming, through a feature known as "ABAP Objects".[2] This helps to simplify applications and make them more controllable. ABAP Objects is fully compatible with the existing language, so one can use existing statements and modularization units in programs that use ABAP Objects, and can also use ABAP Objects in existing ABAP programs. Syntax checking is stronger in ABAP Objects programs, and some syntactical forms (usually older ones) of certain statements are not permitted.

What is SAPScript?
SAP script is the SAP System’s own text-processing system.It looks and feels a lot like other leading text-processing systems.
It is used to print preformatted text in pre-formatted forms.

What is Smartforms?

The SAPScript successor tool for creating and maintaining forms within SAP solutions, such as CRM, SCM, SRM, and Healthcare. Smart Forms provides an easy-to-use graphical user interface and offers the following advantages compared to SAPscript:
- Creating and maintaining forms requiring half the time
- Adapting forms without any programming knowledge due to an entirely graphical user interface
- SAP delivers a set of forms for central business processes

Interesting links:
sdn wiki: ABAP Programming
sdn wiki: SAPScript / Smartforms

Discussion/forums:
snd forum: ABAP subforum
sapfans forum: ABAP subforum

Tips and tricks
1. Collection of useful function modules..
2. More ABAP Tips & Tricks
3. More frequently asked questions
4. SAP core modules - Tables relationship

Sources: wikipedia, sdn, sdn wiki & the net (google is your friend smile.gif)

This post has been edited by wiraone: May 11 2011, 11:53 AM
TSwiraone
post May 9 2011, 03:51 PM

3,839 posts

why aren't anyone create another thread continuing the other sap thread?

Don't really get you there, what the other sap thread? The only SAP threads that I've found in lowyat are all in the job section.

can you recommend me good books in abap? i saw in sap press, there's this book that i give my interest, ABAP Objects: ABAP Programming in SAP NetWeaver but i don;t know where to get it..if you could tell me where to get here in kl.

Well, you've got it there.. that is the best reference available. You need to order it direct from SAP Press and yes, it is not cheap. You may want to try kinokuniya/KLCC or MPH/MidValley .. they might have it.

aside from abap, sap script, smartforms, what else should we know as abaper? im having problems lately when doing project assignments..i took longer to complete programs..( i dont really understand..)

Most of the thing in SAP development is about where to retrieve the data, not so much on how to present the data. You need to know the underlying tables in each functional areas/modules and the link between the tables too. Probably this will help you if you're developing the core moduless in SAP.
SAP Table Relations

But SAP development might not only doing reporting, you might need to delve into other things too.. things such as user exits, BADI, BTE, BAPI interfaces, ALE, IDOC, BDOC and stuff like that will come across your path too. There are other niche areas such as BW, XI and other stuff too.

Added on May 9, 2011, 3:57 pm
i dont really understand mostly on sap structure,how they works..why i should use this steps, methods etc

Well, it took me quite a while to understand the bigger picture of SAP .. and as you can see, this is not easy stuff. The best is having internet/google around when doing your assignment. I learned many new things from sapfans & sdn. Another thing, learn on how to use the tool .. transaction like ST05 is quite useful in finding what tables, function modules or methods that a transaction uses to access data. Some of SAP data shown in the screen might comes from many different tables .. art of debugging is also very useful in finding out what/how/where to get data etc.

This post has been edited by wiraone: May 9 2011, 03:57 PM
TSwiraone
post May 11 2011, 11:56 AM

3,839 posts

I've added few more links to the first post, hope they're useful to you. BTW, just wondering, do you do traditional ABAP coding or you've started doing OO instead? I'm having a hard time maintaining a simple reporting which the author had decided that doing the report in OO looks elegant.. grr.. me, an old timer is still having hard time to grasp the OO concept sad.gif
TSwiraone
post Aug 9 2011, 01:35 PM

3,839 posts

@Pingu, when you say .. line .. is that the separation line a.k.a box outline?
TSwiraone
post Aug 10 2011, 02:34 PM

3,839 posts

Alamak Pingu, my smartforms knowledge is not that deep lah. Can't really help you on this one.
TSwiraone
post Aug 10 2011, 06:46 PM

3,839 posts

Pingu .. are you at Shell?
TSwiraone
post Aug 16 2011, 02:47 PM

3,839 posts

@Perwaja, ABAP has evolved, from 4th GL language to OO. Most core modules are still coded in the old ABAP but newer modules and many enhancement are no longer 4th GL like language. If you've any experience in programming, taking ABAP should be easy actually.
TSwiraone
post Mar 16 2014, 05:03 PM

3,839 posts

QUOTE(.lowyat.net. @ Feb 24 2014, 11:28 AM)
me abapers.... but no cert. wondering if anyone can provide me link to certify myfelf.
I've been doing ABAP for ages and I don't worry about certifying myself smile.gif But I believe those from certain continent might have info where to 'certify' themselves w/o going for any courses.
TSwiraone
post Sep 3 2014, 09:02 AM

3,839 posts

It seems that the discussion here is more toward the career rather than technical. Anyway, I do agree with mobileoop, money is not everything really but once you've more and more commitment coming to you, probably that will change a bit.
TSwiraone
post Mar 31 2015, 11:13 AM

3,839 posts

QUOTE(gen_tiger @ Jan 23 2015, 04:30 PM)
Wonder is there any SAP Portal Developers around? Seems that in Malaysia there are some companies start to look at the new UI technologies (SAP UI5, WDA+FPM, Personas)
It seems that way, my office is going full swing on integrating internet with the SAP and have implemented few projects based on portal, web services, etc. I'm still stuck with ABAP for now and let the younger ones going for the web based apps on SAP. There is still a market for old programmers like me out there smile.gif
TSwiraone
post Apr 25 2019, 01:56 PM

3,839 posts

QUOTE(zup @ Apr 24 2019, 03:53 PM)
Hi, I am "new" in ABAP just joined ABAP right after grad. Now already 1 year 7+ months in SAP ABAP Consultant. Since there is so hard to find ABAP thread.
Wrong thread bro smile.gif You may want to check in this thread instead:

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2333225

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.32    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:10 PM