Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ABAP / ABAP Object / SAPScript / Smartforms, Single thread on SAP programming tools

views

TSwiraone
post Apr 19 2011, 08:23 AM, updated 5y ago

Who cares about all the stars?
3,839 posts

Since there is no single thread on SAP programming tools, I believe this thread should help forumners that are into SAP development but couldn't find (or lost) when trying to get help.

What is ABAP?

ABAP (Advanced Business Application Programming, originally Allgemeiner Berichts-Aufbereitungs-Prozessor, German for "general report creation processor" [1]), pronounced as 'ah-bop', is a high-level programming language created by the German software company SAP. It is currently positioned, alongside the more recently introduced Java, as the language for programming the SAP Application Server, part of its NetWeaver platform for building business applications. The syntax of ABAP is somewhat similar to COBOL.

What is ABAP Object?

The ABAP language supports object-oriented programming, through a feature known as "ABAP Objects".[2] This helps to simplify applications and make them more controllable. ABAP Objects is fully compatible with the existing language, so one can use existing statements and modularization units in programs that use ABAP Objects, and can also use ABAP Objects in existing ABAP programs. Syntax checking is stronger in ABAP Objects programs, and some syntactical forms (usually older ones) of certain statements are not permitted.

What is SAPScript?
SAP script is the SAP System’s own text-processing system.It looks and feels a lot like other leading text-processing systems.
It is used to print preformatted text in pre-formatted forms.

What is Smartforms?

The SAPScript successor tool for creating and maintaining forms within SAP solutions, such as CRM, SCM, SRM, and Healthcare. Smart Forms provides an easy-to-use graphical user interface and offers the following advantages compared to SAPscript:
- Creating and maintaining forms requiring half the time
- Adapting forms without any programming knowledge due to an entirely graphical user interface
- SAP delivers a set of forms for central business processes

Interesting links:
sdn wiki: ABAP Programming
sdn wiki: SAPScript / Smartforms

Discussion/forums:
snd forum: ABAP subforum
sapfans forum: ABAP subforum

Tips and tricks
1. Collection of useful function modules..
2. More ABAP Tips & Tricks
3. More frequently asked questions
4. SAP core modules - Tables relationship

Sources: wikipedia, sdn, sdn wiki & the net (google is your friend smile.gif)

This post has been edited by wiraone: May 11 2011, 11:53 AM
raimy_m9
post May 9 2011, 03:36 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

i just found this thread..why aren't anyone create another thread continuing the other sap thread?.. well im new to abap..next week i'll will complete my 6 month probation..
can you recommend me good books in abap? i saw in sap press, there's this book that i give my interest, ABAP Objects: ABAP Programming in SAP NetWeaver but i don;t know where to get it..if you could tell me where to get here in kl..aside from abap, sap script, smartforms, what else should we know as abaper? im having problems lately when doing project assignments.and since my assignments mainly includes all the modules.(if you are free, then you get the assignment)..i took longer time to complete programs..( i dont really understand mostly on sap structure,how they works..why i should use this steps, methods etc..im having a hard time..)

ps: its very expensive, i need to save 2 moths salary just to get the books...

This post has been edited by raimy_m9: May 9 2011, 03:39 PM
TSwiraone
post May 9 2011, 03:51 PM

3,839 posts

why aren't anyone create another thread continuing the other sap thread?

Don't really get you there, what the other sap thread? The only SAP threads that I've found in lowyat are all in the job section.

can you recommend me good books in abap? i saw in sap press, there's this book that i give my interest, ABAP Objects: ABAP Programming in SAP NetWeaver but i don;t know where to get it..if you could tell me where to get here in kl.

Well, you've got it there.. that is the best reference available. You need to order it direct from SAP Press and yes, it is not cheap. You may want to try kinokuniya/KLCC or MPH/MidValley .. they might have it.

aside from abap, sap script, smartforms, what else should we know as abaper? im having problems lately when doing project assignments..i took longer to complete programs..( i dont really understand..)

Most of the thing in SAP development is about where to retrieve the data, not so much on how to present the data. You need to know the underlying tables in each functional areas/modules and the link between the tables too. Probably this will help you if you're developing the core moduless in SAP.
SAP Table Relations

But SAP development might not only doing reporting, you might need to delve into other things too.. things such as user exits, BADI, BTE, BAPI interfaces, ALE, IDOC, BDOC and stuff like that will come across your path too. There are other niche areas such as BW, XI and other stuff too.

Added on May 9, 2011, 3:57 pm
i dont really understand mostly on sap structure,how they works..why i should use this steps, methods etc

Well, it took me quite a while to understand the bigger picture of SAP .. and as you can see, this is not easy stuff. The best is having internet/google around when doing your assignment. I learned many new things from sapfans & sdn. Another thing, learn on how to use the tool .. transaction like ST05 is quite useful in finding what tables, function modules or methods that a transaction uses to access data. Some of SAP data shown in the screen might comes from many different tables .. art of debugging is also very useful in finding out what/how/where to get data etc.

This post has been edited by wiraone: May 9 2011, 03:57 PM
alien3d
post May 9 2011, 09:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

market good..software good but $$$$$$$..
raimy_m9
post May 10 2011, 02:48 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(wiraone @ May 9 2011, 03:51 PM)
Don't really get you there, what the other sap thread? The only SAP threads that I've found in lowyat are all in the job section.
Well, you've got it there.. that is the best reference available. You need to order it direct from SAP Press and yes, it is not cheap. You may want to try kinokuniya/KLCC or MPH/MidValley .. they might have it.
Most of the thing in SAP development is about where to retrieve the data, not so much on how to present the data. You need to know the underlying tables in each functional areas/modules and the link between the tables too. Probably this will help you if you're developing the core moduless in SAP.
SAP Table Relations

But SAP development might not only doing reporting, you might need to delve into other things too.. things such as user exits, BADI, BTE, BAPI interfaces, ALE, IDOC, BDOC and stuff like that will come across your path too. There are other niche areas such as BW, XI and other stuff too.

Added on May 9, 2011, 3:57 pm

Well, it took me quite a while to understand the bigger picture of SAP .. and as you can see, this is not easy stuff. The best is having internet/google around when doing your assignment. I learned many new things from sapfans & sdn. Another thing, learn on how to use the tool .. transaction like ST05 is quite useful in finding what tables, function modules or methods that a transaction uses to access data. Some of SAP data shown in the screen might comes from many different tables .. art of debugging is also very useful in finding out what/how/where to get data etc.
thanks for the input.they're great...and the other thread i meant was the sap talk thread..looking back for the past 6 months, i still have a long way to go..i think what i have right now not even reach 5% of what i should know..some of my senoir also don't really know or not sure when i asked some question..when i compare our work..it looks the same..silly mistakes.

ps: my internet sucks big time..somtimes working and sometimes not.
TSwiraone
post May 11 2011, 11:56 AM

3,839 posts

I've added few more links to the first post, hope they're useful to you. BTW, just wondering, do you do traditional ABAP coding or you've started doing OO instead? I'm having a hard time maintaining a simple reporting which the author had decided that doing the report in OO looks elegant.. grr.. me, an old timer is still having hard time to grasp the OO concept sad.gif
raimy_m9
post May 11 2011, 12:10 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(wiraone @ May 11 2011, 11:56 AM)
I've added few more links to the first post, hope they're useful to you. BTW, just wondering, do you do traditional ABAP coding or you've started doing OO instead? I'm having a hard time maintaining a simple reporting which the author had decided that doing the report in OO looks elegant.. grr.. me, an old timer is still having hard time to grasp the OO concept sad.gif
tq for the links..well for the oo, my company still stick to the traditional abap coding. this is due to environment here, most company on our contract still wont adap to oo style, but must adhere to latest progamming syntax+oo fm..but these company mostly in malaysia and singapore.for others, i dont really know....

yeap..doing in oo looks elegent.and they're easy to maintain(not really)..but i only use it in alv....well, me tool having a hard time to grasp the concept..
PinGu87
post Aug 9 2011, 01:29 PM

35 posts

First of all, i would like to say thank you very much wiraone for opened this thread. i have one question to ask you regarding smartforms. the scenario is like this:

1. this is a loop table in smartforms. there are 3 rows and 4 colums.

2. i want to merge the rows between 2nd row and 3rd row under 1st column and 2nd column. the data i already customize in the text condition and will not appear (meet the objective).

3. now i want to make the line disappear. i do not want to deselect the line type at the table line in smartforms as it will make the line disappear for all column and rows. do i need to use program lines or command? what is the variable for line type so i can make the line invisible. huhu. (i already press f1 at line type and use the variable in program lines. not working) icon_question.gif

i have asked uncle google, no answer can found. can you please help me? thank you smile.gif
TSwiraone
post Aug 9 2011, 01:35 PM

3,839 posts

@Pingu, when you say .. line .. is that the separation line a.k.a box outline?
PinGu87
post Aug 9 2011, 02:07 PM

35 posts

thx for the reply. inner box line. i want to make the inner line horizontal disappear when condition is not meet.

edit: more info so that you get the same view as i am.

1. the first column is for date, followed by bill no., amount, and description.
2. scenario is the bill no. is a payment for 3 transaction.
3. the 1st row is filled with the data.
4. in the 2nd row and 3rd row, the date and bill no is the same but the amount and description is different.
5. so i want to make the line between 2nd and 3 row in date and bill no. column disappear.
6. these 3 rows happen in main area. the header is for column title which use different line type.
7. do not worry about the box's width line at the end of the loop table. i already put different line type as footer to cover that hole. i just need to make the line inside disappear.

please refer to attachment for more info. if you need more info please inform me. thank you smile.gif

Attached Image

This post has been edited by PinGu87: Aug 9 2011, 03:21 PM
TSwiraone
post Aug 10 2011, 02:34 PM

3,839 posts

Alamak Pingu, my smartforms knowledge is not that deep lah. Can't really help you on this one.
raimy_m9
post Aug 10 2011, 05:27 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

want to ask..im currently doing conversion program for HR..the program really needs to be dynamic, as getting data from rfc,flat file etc.
for flat file, the technical fields are taken from header, and then i create internal table based on the header..but my program got short dump with exeption generate_subpool_dir_full because i use cl_alv to create internal tble. i know that it only allows 36 subpool to be created..how do i avoid this exception?i've googled it already, but somehow still can't find proper solution with my requirement.

any thoughts?
PinGu87
post Aug 10 2011, 06:40 PM

35 posts

No problem. My boss already helped me tp solve the problem. this smartform is tie with application form (tcode efrm). he helped me on the user exit side of the application form. thx for replying to my post biggrin.gif
TSwiraone
post Aug 10 2011, 06:46 PM

3,839 posts

Pingu .. are you at Shell?
PinGu87
post Aug 10 2011, 06:55 PM

35 posts

previously done my internship at Shell in infra field.

Perwaja
post Aug 16 2011, 02:27 PM

Getting Started
254 posts

if cobol background, easy ka mau join doing abap? since it seem the programming language quite similar.
TSwiraone
post Aug 16 2011, 02:47 PM

3,839 posts

@Perwaja, ABAP has evolved, from 4th GL language to OO. Most core modules are still coded in the old ABAP but newer modules and many enhancement are no longer 4th GL like language. If you've any experience in programming, taking ABAP should be easy actually.
raimy_m9
post Sep 13 2012, 11:45 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

hmm...it's more than a year now..and in another 2months i'll be 2 years in sap abap as consultant..still long way to go..
mousqy
post Apr 10 2013, 09:07 AM

Enthusiast
758 posts

abapers so busy to lepak here tered so slow
raimy_m9
post Apr 10 2013, 12:16 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

looks like abaper been replaced..no new job dy..haha

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to: