Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DiGi 3G is really disappointing me, The coverage and speed is really poor

views

myandylai
post May 27 2011, 04:07 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

I am living in Ipoh. I subscribed a Digi Smart Plan RM68 (for Android) with 3GB quota per month. I use it for 2 month plus and I found that the speed it not consistent at any places I went around Ipoh. The speed is acceptable but having weird performance like being throttle by what media / content that's been download. Example like serving speed is average if the content is local (or maybe have local cache) but if the content was international speed is poor. Speedtest show very promising speed at 700-1000kbit/s download but when serving it seems much slower. Playback YouTube content show very inconsistent as it was playing smoothly with one video and the second video may be extremely lagging. Even when sometime (maybe peak hour) browsing speed became extremely slow but Android Market place can download app with speed (by reading the downloading figure) up to 200KByte/s (2Mbit/s). Because of the inconsistency of the connection I was not able to use more the 1GB of the given 3GB bandwidth even I try hard to use it (stay with mobile network even there's WiFi connectivity).

Ipoh is still good with Digi HSDPA network but users base will keep growing because of the rapid grow of SmartPhone market. Keeping up with the infrastructure is very important as more users will cause congestion of the network because the lag of bandwidth. And users are tide with the 2 years contract that they cannot terminate their plan even Digi provide poor quality service. That's sure will going to make lots of angry customer (good if it's Angry Bird). And hope Digi could consider removing any media base throttling if any before users exceeded their bandwidth cap.

QUOTE(iipohbee @ May 20 2011, 09:21 PM)
DiGi in Ipoh is real HSPA network.

Uploads can really break 2mbps during off peak hours if lucky.
This post has been edited by myandylai: May 27 2011, 04:16 AM
myandylai
post May 30 2011, 06:21 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(iipohbee @ May 28 2011, 05:14 PM)
Could you mention the modem brand and make which you're using?

If you're using the modem supplied by DiGi or your phone, very likely you'll only be restricted to the HSDPA network.

If you are mostly in Greentown, Ipoh Central(near Central Market), Jln. Pasir Putih speeds are good.
I am using a HTC phone. And I am around Jalan Pasir Puteh. The speed is not slow but inconsistent. Sometime it can load some YouTube video but sometime would be too slow to do that. Sometime Facebook also can't loaf but generally it still usable.
myandylai
post Jul 10 2011, 05:03 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

Digi 3G speed became explosion fast at Ipoh. Been at Pengkalan area. Now I can even play Youtube 720P video with it (Digi SmartPlan 3GB for RM68 per month). Last 2 month speed was not consistent at all and suddenly this few days it was insanely fast. I put a speedtest (speedtest.net) at the end.
I hope this kind of speed can last and I will be Digi loyal customer for a long time.

user posted image

This post has been edited by myandylai: Jul 10 2011, 05:07 AM
myandylai
post Jul 10 2011, 11:07 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

16GB wasn't going to be enough in this kind of speed. I used up 1GB of my 3GB allow bandwidth in 1 hour watching latest tech new in YouTube channel playing 720P quality. But I am still very happy that Digi actually improved their 3G network in Ipoh area. Maybe they (Digi) have people watching this thread. I hope that they will improve other area too so that this thread will became positive in Digi service. Finally this month I can get to use up all 3GB bandwidth that allocated to me. Thanks.
myandylai
post Jul 19 2011, 12:11 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(mengz @ Jul 18 2011, 01:35 PM)
digi services is damn lousy, i sign up contract cost me rm68, take me 30 sec to load just a google page.  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif
Last few day still can have 5Mbps speed but now no more. Come back to the old slow and inconsistent speed. Come to think of it as the days that I can reach 5Mbps with Digi is before 15th of the month. Maybe at those few days most Digi subscriber at my area had finish using their bandwidth while I almost never use it. At the end of the quota cycle I can download extreme fast as no one is using the service (throttle down because of over quota).

myandylai
post Dec 15 2011, 06:04 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(genbat2003 @ Dec 15 2011, 05:03 AM)
Digi suck, Im goin to Celcom. More reliable compare with Digi...
Digi was usually quite good at Ipoh. After reading this thread I did a speedtest to confirm the matter myself. I did the speedtest using my Android smartphone with Digi SmartPlan RM68 with 3GB bandwidth which I had used 1GB.

Here's the result,
user posted image

I tested it at 6am in the morning (off peak) yet just manage to get 500+Kbps. Last time at least can get 5Mbps. cry.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0220sec    0.42    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:05 AM