Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> How Does Your (Herb) Garden Grow?, Not quite contrary :)

views

Gember88
post Jul 30 2011, 06:13 PM

2 posts

Herb garden update. As mentioned been successful with basils, so far have grown 3 types, cinnamon, lemon and purple basil. Recently the landscape guys who mown the lawn and look after the big plants, by mistake fertlised the herb plants and some seedlings. The fertiliser was too strong for the herbs, maybe meant for bigger plants. So within a few days after that I've lost my thyme and a few stalks of rosemary and some catmint seedlings. The remaining catmint seedlings are growing so slowly. I just hope they grow until they flower so can get some seeds back to resown.
Of the lavender plant only one seedling left in pot. Also growing slowly. Still not sure if it's lavender though. As I had a few seeds left I tried another method via https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1163711/ Was disappointed after 5 days nothing sprouted from the 5 cups I'd sown the seeds in. But on the 7th day a seedling sprouted in one of the cups. These 5 seeds I'd sown in separate cups indoors under those aquarium fluorescent lights as I was told these lights would be the closest thing to a grow light that we can get here in Malaysia. So, am still hoping that the seeds will sprout from the other 4 cups too.
kuluuluk
post Dec 22 2011, 06:18 PM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

Wow... just found there's threat for Herb Garden Grow too.... but i see it's not active at all.

Anyway, try to jump start a bit here.

So far i've 3 types of Rosemary, 5 types of Basil, Thyme, Sage, 4 types of Mint, Tarragon, Lavender, Italian Parsley, Oregano, Stevia.

From seeds is a bit hard, i only manage to get all 5 types of basil, Mint, Italian Parsley, Oregano to grow, the rest... ... don't know. Btw, sometimes even if the packing says 4 weeks to grow... it might take longer. Try shake it bit and add a little diff soil on top. Might be too much water... or less. My mint took me... 8 weeks... and i've no idea why.

My current completed project for my Herbs garden is the automated watering system.

Next project, get new batch of seeds (diff types) and grow them.

Btw, yes don't believe too much on the internet info, 1/2 will do.

About the soil, i would recon to mix, organic black soil (burn black soil), some clay soil (Red color) and Sand. Yes Sand!! . The % of each mix depends alot of what type of herbs you are planting. Like Rosemary or thyme that needs water but do not like water feat needs more sand, less clay soil and the rest organic black soil.

Anyway lets see where this threat is going.... and Happy Herbing!!!

Edit : Forgot to add, use organic stuff... . I've also have a long pot of worm. Grow them for their ar... shit... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by kuluuluk: Dec 22 2011, 06:20 PM
weikee
post Dec 22 2011, 09:18 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

Where do you put the plants? under the shade?
kuluuluk
post Dec 22 2011, 10:04 PM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Dec 22 2011, 09:18 PM)
Where do you put the plants? under the shade?
ar which plant"S" you are refering to?
weikee
post Dec 22 2011, 10:06 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(kuluuluk @ Dec 22 2011, 10:04 PM)
ar which plant"S" you are refering to?
Most of the herbs. I have a small pot of soils need some plants. But is not shade.
kuluuluk
post Dec 22 2011, 10:39 PM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Dec 22 2011, 10:06 PM)
Most of the herbs. I have a small pot of soils need some plants. But is not shade.
Well actually i put most of them under the sun, with a big transparent plastic cover over them to prevent rain water from over watering them. The plastic can cut a small % of heat but the sun light can get through, which is good for most plants especially rosemary.

Most of the shaded plants are usually the newly cut plants or just seeded. icon_rolleyes.gif

Well not shaded as in direct sun from 9am - 6pm, can try rosemary or orenago. Both loves alot of sun and just enough water (make sure the bottom of the pot is not really really wet). Next easiest herbs to plant under that direct sun is Basil. Thai basil can easily grow VERY fast. other basil, ok too. Sweet Basil, well toooo hot can cause the leave to turn brown ugly. Anyway....

what do you have in mind?

This post has been edited by kuluuluk: Dec 22 2011, 10:46 PM
weikee
post Dec 22 2011, 10:47 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(kuluuluk @ Dec 22 2011, 10:39 PM)
Well actually i put most of them under the sun, with a big transparent plastic cover over them to prevent rain water from over watering them. The plastic can cut a small % of heat but the sun light can get through, which is good for most plants especially rosemary.

Most of the shaded plants are usually the newly cut plants or just seeded.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Well not shaded as in direct sun from 9am - 6pm, can try rosemary or orenago. Both loves alot of sun and just enough water (make sure the bottom of the pot is not really really wet). Next easiest herbs to plant under that direct sun is Basil. Thai basil can easily grow VERY fast. other basil, ok too. Sweet Basil, well toooo hot can cause the leave to turn brown ugly. Anyway....

what do you have in mind?
Hehe, no place to hang the plastic sheet, is outside my house. Was thinking to plant some vegi, Chili padi.. Maybe wait till one of my tree grow bigger. That may take few years.
kuluuluk
post Dec 22 2011, 11:28 PM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Dec 22 2011, 10:47 PM)
Hehe, no place to hang the plastic sheet, is outside my house. Was thinking to plant some vegi, Chili padi.. Maybe wait till one of my tree grow bigger. That may take few years.
Those plants, you don't need plastic sheets..... just do it. Unless you are planting Ghost Chili .... hmmmm evil hot
weikee
post Dec 22 2011, 11:29 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(kuluuluk @ Dec 22 2011, 11:28 PM)
Those plants, you don't need plastic sheets..... just do it. Unless you are planting Ghost Chili .... hmmmm evil hot
Yeah, but was interested with herb, but i guess is not good to have direct sun light for herb.
kuluuluk
post Dec 23 2011, 04:55 PM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Dec 22 2011, 11:29 PM)
Yeah, but was interested with herb, but i guess is not good to have direct sun light for herb.
Not really, herbs like direct sun light too, but some of the herbs do not like alot alot of water stuck on the root area, so if you want to have direct sun and rain, just make sure your pot, soil has a good drainage... thats all
weikee
post Dec 23 2011, 10:20 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(kuluuluk @ Dec 23 2011, 04:55 PM)
Not really, herbs like direct sun light too, but some of the herbs do not like alot alot of water stuck on the root area, so if you want to have direct sun and rain, just make sure your pot, soil has a good drainage... thats all
Is not a pot, direct outside, earth all the way to deep deep smile.gif
kuluuluk
post Dec 23 2011, 11:33 PM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Dec 23 2011, 10:20 PM)
Is not a pot, direct outside, earth all the way to deep deep smile.gif
Thats not a problem too... dig bigger and deeper... and have more sand at the bottom follow by your soil mix.... icon_rolleyes.gif
Yamaha 444
post Dec 27 2011, 09:52 AM

Getting Started
150 posts

Is there ay herbs that will make cat annoy with it.?? my neighbour cat always mess up with my rock garden.. shitting every day or two... damn..
kuluuluk
post Dec 27 2011, 11:18 AM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

Coleus canina, rue, lavender, pennyroyal

Btw, dogs also dislike them. Why not just get those spray... easy and simple.

Those plants, they can be toxic to animals. If like to go organic, why not try Orange peels, surely you do eat orange from time to time, use them. anything citrus will do.... else try vinegar..
TSkathlynn
post Dec 29 2011, 04:00 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

i have not had the courage to adopt another herb plant ever since the last one died-ed on me.... but seein the success stories from some forumers makes me slightly motivated to try again..... wink.gif
ozak
post Dec 29 2011, 04:10 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(Yamaha 444 @ Dec 27 2011, 09:52 AM)
Is there ay herbs that will make cat annoy with it.?? my neighbour cat always mess up with my rock garden.. shitting every day or two... damn..
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2018593/+20
kuluuluk
post Dec 30 2011, 06:03 PM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

QUOTE(kathlynn @ Dec 29 2011, 04:00 PM)
i have not had the courage to adopt another herb plant ever since the last one died-ed on me.... but seein the success stories from some forumers makes me slightly motivated to try again..... wink.gif
rclxms.gif sometimes i guess, you just need to know the actual plan enviroment in malaysia. Thats all, for me few plants died before i actually learn trust 1/2 of internet info and 1/2 logic.
pf-L33
post Jan 9 2012, 04:15 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

i migh be out of topic here, but where in KL might i be able to find fresh tarragon? need it for a little sauce i'm trying to make.. thanks guys!
maddriver
post Jan 2 2013, 08:02 AM

the madman!
1,160 posts

green thumbs

this is what i have been doing so far....... the dill died on me, the butterhead is going soon too, only a small amount of kailan survived, the chillis are doing well, so are the basil, and i just planted an oregano plant and key lime seeds yesterday. btw, if anyone wants some basil seedlings, pm me..... it's foc....
babymiki
post Mar 7 2013, 04:23 PM

❤ ZR
4,105 posts

hello! i'm planning to start my own mini herb garden. am planning to start with cilantro, chamomile, rosemary and lavender.

would like to know where u guys get the seeds from? is lavender really hard to start with?

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0204sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:59 PM