Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Why Aren’t You Finishing Your Video Games?, What's yer excuse?

views

TSgreyshadow
post Mar 4 2011, 11:32 AM, updated 13y ago

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

QUOTE(Mike Fahey @ Kotaku)
With the release of Radiant Historia I am left with another dilemma and a question for my fellow gamers. You see, I have not completely finished the game I am currently playing: Resonance of Fate. I have noticed that I have been playing fewer and fewer games to their completion this generation and I cannot settle on the reason. While growing up, and through most of college, I had a strict rule that I must complete the game I was on before moving on to the next. Not so anymore. So I was wondering if some of my fellow Kotakuites have experienced this themselves. Is this change due to getting older? A career? Change in tastes? Or is there just something different about this generation of games? The answer is certainly a combination of things, but I would like to hear what others think.

About Speak-Up on Kotaku: Our readers have a lot to say, and sometimes what they have to say has nothing to do with the stories we run. That's why we have that little box on the front page of Kotaku. You know, the one with "Got something to say?" written in it? That's the place to post anecdotes, photos, game tips and hints, and anything you want to share with Kotaku at large. Just make sure to include #speakup in your comment so we can find it. Every weekday we'll pull one of the best #speakup posts we can find and highlight it here.

Sauce Ketchup: http://kotaku.com/#!5775493/why-arent-...our-video-games
Having this dilemma also...
Used to have all the time in da world for gaming, but with many commitments now like work, family & kids... I hardly got time to finish the game i started...
now counting at least 7 games that I have start playing and haven't finish (finish as in see the ending credit)

- Fallout3 (20% main quest, 40hours playing doh.gif)
- Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulation (at Case 3 now)
- New Super Mario Bros (can't remember at which world, almost a year didn't touch it doh.gif)
- Medal of Honor (half way thru)
- Magic: The gathering (played a few rounds only)
- Sam & Max save the world (fall asleep a few times playing)
- Ikaruga (which i think i'll never finish it doh.gif)
- few more i think i might have forgotten doh.gif

So, what's kept you from complete your game?
breaker84
post Mar 4 2011, 11:38 AM

\\//\\//\\//\\//
1,713 posts

me FF13 oledi finish, but i miss a lot of side quest and item....
reason for me not play anymore is i'm not buying LCD/Plasma yet...
last time play using pc lcd...

but HON i play at least 1 game per a day...
just to kill time before sleep...
gundamalpha
post Mar 4 2011, 11:45 AM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

Combination of "no time", "spoilt for choices" and "lack of discipline". Timing itself is pretty much self explained. Although I'm still trying hard to complete 1 game before moving to the other, there are many times where I got the urge to play another, usually older, when I remembered I haven't completed or haven't mastered. And there are many times when games are bought without thinking whether I have the time to play.

Games that are not only not played, but don't even have time to unseal and do anything about them
user posted image

And I don't consider myself as a collector, despite being mistakenly branded by many. My intention of getting a game is purely to play them, thus there's no intended LE/CE/SE purchase unless I can't get the normal editions.

This post has been edited by gundamalpha: Mar 4 2011, 11:49 AM
TSgreyshadow
post Mar 4 2011, 11:47 AM

1,826 posts

And there are many times when games are bought without thinking whether I have the time to play.

+1
sidanos
post Mar 4 2011, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

I still got games I bought some time ago and still not yet play.
Now with work and family, hardly any time to play..
jhcj
post Mar 4 2011, 12:03 PM

TK 20682
Group Icon
VIP
2,357 posts

That's alot of games gundamalpha! D:

I tend to finish most of my games before I move to the next, but my definition of finish is to get 100% trophies lol. Some are just plain too difficult (like ninja gaiden 2) while some others are just plain tiresome (mp trophies, grinding trophies, etc).

hikaruact2
post Mar 4 2011, 12:05 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

lame storyline and game play is sucks, who want to play sad.gif
gundamalpha
post Mar 4 2011, 12:10 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

QUOTE(jhcj @ Mar 4 2011, 12:03 PM)
I tend to finish most of my games before I move to the next, but my definition of finish is to get 100% trophies lol.
So you have only finished 33 games so far? tongue.gif

My definition of finishing is much simpler, finished the main storyline, if the game is good do as many side quests, if the game is great complete everything available, but all games only 1 play through biggrin.gif
2ack
post Mar 4 2011, 12:46 PM

38 posts

believe it or not,eventhough i bought the ce and le,the most games that i played is fifa 11,nba ,fight night and disgaea 3.im not sure why but maybe because other ps3 games lacks the ompphhh that i see on a ps2 games.almost all my ps2 games i played for a very2 long time but not ps3.but thats just my own opinion notworthy.gif notworthy.gif .even games like dead space 2,little big planet 2 and other popular titles i didnt finish.

the only games that i finish playing with is disgaea 3,dmc 4,vanquish and some others but less then 10 games i finish so far.

This post has been edited by 2ack: Mar 4 2011, 12:57 PM
jokerfanatic91
post Mar 4 2011, 01:42 PM

7 posts

I borrowed a X-Box from a friend as I dun not have one.. And I did not play Mass Effect 1 and 2 eventhough I borrowed it from my friend, rather I played Batman Arkham Asylum almost everyday and Black Ops occasionally.. To me, I dun think Mass Effect is the "IT" game eventhough it has so many great reviews about it..
TSgreyshadow
post Mar 4 2011, 01:57 PM

1,826 posts

oh yeah... forgot about DMC4... still haven't finish it after 2 years doh.gif
Dark NT
post Mar 4 2011, 03:05 PM

Regular
1,006 posts

QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Mar 4 2011, 11:45 AM)
Games that are not only not played, but don't even have time to unseal and do anything about them
Pity you... okay okay Greyshadow take half, i take half.. pm you our address.
gundamalpha
post Mar 4 2011, 03:07 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

QUOTE(Dark NT @ Mar 4 2011, 03:05 PM)
Pity you... okay okay Greyshadow take half, i take half.. pm you our address.
PM received, will post to you ASAP. Thanks smile.gif
Mr Ez
post Mar 4 2011, 04:14 PM

Super Cool
700 posts

So many games, so little time, how to finish?

Sometimes I wish I had the power to stop the time and finish all the great games.
TSgreyshadow
post Mar 4 2011, 04:37 PM

1,826 posts

QUOTE(Mr Ez @ Mar 4 2011, 04:14 PM)
So many games, so little time, how to finish?

Sometimes I wish I had the power to stop the time and finish all the great games.
but theoretically if the time stops, so does the electricity, bcos power generator stops too
so no electricity, u can't switch on your tv or console, so no gaming for you also whistling.gif tongue.gif

if i had the power to stop time, first thing i'll do is to rob the bank, then no need to work for the rest of my life, hence got all the time in the world to play games tongue.gif

heavy rain
post Mar 4 2011, 05:43 PM

Casual
351 posts

me don finish me game becuz dinosor ate my game

trogdor1oh1
post Mar 4 2011, 06:06 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

I have so many games I've yet to finish, mostly because I can't be bothered with inserting the disc or starting the app or w/e.
Here's an incomplete list:

Mass Effect 2
inFamous
Bayonetta
Katamari Forever
GTA 4 + episodes
Gears of War 1(I beat GeOW2 purely because I found it so much more fun)
Dead Space
CoD Blops
Bad Company 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
FEAR 2
Half-Life 2(plus both episodes)
Fallout New Vegas(bought the DLC when it first came out, haven't even touched that >_>)

Instead I'd just play Black Ops MP, which is all I do anymore LOL
Mr Ez
post Mar 4 2011, 09:02 PM

Super Cool
700 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Mar 4 2011, 04:37 PM)
but theoretically if the time stops, so does the electricity, bcos power generator stops too
so no electricity, u can't switch on your tv or console, so no gaming for you also whistling.gif tongue.gif

if i had the power to stop time, first thing i'll do is to rob the bank, then no need to work for the rest of my life, hence got all the time in the world to play games tongue.gif
Damn! that's a good idea too laugh.gif
lilko
post Mar 4 2011, 09:18 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

because of distraction and can't play whole day.. The speed in finishin a game becomes slower.. Sometimes no mood gaming,so watch movie or read books etc.. or got too many games to play at a time.. Plus point is can choose what type game to play depend on ur mood..but if those long hours spent on a wide spread of games were to apply only to one.. already finish few games long long time ago.. XD

Anyhow, the genre I play do not have a high turn over rate.. While some only require shorter time like PSP games... So, I will finish it, eventually.. but i can never platinum a game.. Too hardcore dy.. XD
Mudmaniac
post Mar 4 2011, 10:13 PM

Creepy Uncle Liar
Group Icon
1,154 posts

Nowadays I buy games on Steam. do not want to look at them in shrinkwrap.

Like this copy of Resident Evil 3 for the GameCube that sits on my table. still in wrap.
Mr Ez
post Mar 5 2011, 02:49 AM

Super Cool
700 posts

QUOTE(Mudmaniac @ Mar 4 2011, 10:13 PM)
Nowadays I buy games on Steam. do not want to look at them in shrinkwrap.

Like this copy of Resident Evil 3 for the GameCube that sits on my table. still in wrap.
Unfortunately people like me prefer game in hard copy, because you can see and feel them, it's tangible.
lilko
post Mar 5 2011, 04:42 AM

Getting Started
95 posts

QUOTE(Mr Ez @ Mar 5 2011, 02:49 AM)
Unfortunately people like me prefer game in hard copy, because you can see and feel them, it's tangible.
me too.. i prefer something that i can hold and feel...feels more precious to me... nod.gif
TSgreyshadow
post Mar 5 2011, 10:18 AM

1,826 posts

hahaha~ i prefer hardcopy just bcos i can re-sell them tongue.gif
munak991
post Mar 5 2011, 12:17 PM

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

GTA4 30% only.
warhawk , what the hell is this shat
bluraypirate
post Mar 7 2011, 12:37 AM

Getting Started
209 posts

Here`s my reason :-

1. Don't have enough time

WORK, work and work, nuff said ........

2. Game is boring/crappy

Playing FF13 for 20 hours, and stop just like that. Repetative gameplay and no town and dungeon . Also an annoying characters. Only a beatiful CGI. Give me back my RM115 ........ vmad.gif

3. Distracted by other better game

Playing Yakuza for 40 hours ........ Takes a bit long because of side missions. But then GOW3 arrived. Maybe I finish it later ........

This post has been edited by bluraypirate: Mar 7 2011, 12:38 AM
ajis
post Mar 7 2011, 12:46 AM

plastic love
3,554 posts

bad gameplay, obviously, but for me I can withstand any graphics or glitches as bad as they can be..as long the game is fun
jokerfanatic91
post Mar 7 2011, 08:20 AM

7 posts

Steam is great for playing games that just for average games but still i rather having the disk and play the game..

@Ajis: Yup, true true.. There are some games that has super graphics, but the gameplay is crappy..
terryfu
post Mar 7 2011, 04:49 PM

On my way
514 posts

Combination of time, & too many choices. Sometimes I'm convinced to buy the game because of all the marketing, magazine recommendations & cheap offers. In the end after buying them some are left unsealed and haven't even started yet. Example bought COD : Black Ops 5 months ago but haven't had time to play it yet. Did open the box to check the premiums though (it was the Prestige Edition). Last count I have around 60 games (including PSN ones) but completed only about 15 of them.

That's why I am selling some of them (imagine starting up Oblivion GOTY - pure time killer).

Started or halfway through but got distracted includes :
1. Castlevania LOS
2. Enslaved
3. NFS Hot Pursuit
4. Fallout 3 GOTY (also got New Vegas but yet to start).
5. COD Modern Warfare 2
6. Little Big Planet
7. Bayonetta
8. Valkyia Chronicles
razor909
post Mar 7 2011, 08:38 PM

Getting Started
86 posts

i have way too many games , lol. got distracted with other new games that came out.when i was half way playing through final fantasy 13 , uncharted 2 ,fifa 10 and modern warfare 2 came into my life. ever since then final fantasy 13 has been eating dust. same goes to many other games i have.
Joey Christensen
post Mar 8 2011, 09:29 AM

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum
3,645 posts

My concern is time constraint and the mood to play it. These are the two factors which hinders me from completing the game. Let's just say I managed to complete most of my games and for the ones that have not, it's just a matter of time to get it completed.

momoyuen
post Mar 9 2011, 12:52 PM

Getting Started
119 posts

- me don't have a time to spend for hours just for playing games, that the main reason for me not finishing any of my ps3 games...working, back at home, and feels tired, then go to sleep... laugh.gif

- no mood to play, need to find a mood before playing any game...heh...

- retry and retry and retry and failed makes me feel lazy to continue the games... rolleyes.gif
psxbox
post Mar 9 2011, 02:30 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

hah........i alr hv xbox360 for two years and a lot of games still hvnt finish playing.

recently i stil went to buy ps3, psp and wii console.

so, when can i finish my games????

sometime i dun noe wht i thinking. buy for collection? or juz intend to hv them all?

hai..................
TSgreyshadow
post Mar 10 2011, 09:30 AM

1,826 posts

QUOTE(psxbox @ Mar 9 2011, 02:30 PM)
hah........i alr hv xbox360 for two years and a lot of games still hvnt finish playing.

recently i stil went to buy ps3, psp and wii console.

so, when can i finish my games????

sometime i dun noe wht i thinking. buy for collection? or juz intend to hv them all?

hai..................
hahaha... greed definitely is one of the factor here

i'm same as u also, already got tonnes of xbox360 games haven't touch or semi finish, but still hand itchy go buy ps3 even knowing i won't have the time to play both console doh.gif
some more my wii & psp also there gathering dust, which i kept telling myself must find time to start Metroid trilogy which i wanted to play so bad, and yet after 2 years it's released, still haven't start it yet laugh.gif

already knew won't have time to play all those game, and yet can't resist to buy games, especially when it's on offer doh.gif

i think even after the next next gen console is out, i still can finish all of the games i have now tongue.gif

Added on March 10, 2011, 9:32 amare we getting like girl doing their shopping for clothing, bags and shoes?

they will buy just because those are on offer/special discount, and end up never wore them or use them laugh.gif

This post has been edited by greyshadow: Mar 10 2011, 09:32 AM
slowpoker
post Mar 13 2011, 11:41 AM

Getting Started
225 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Mar 10 2011, 09:30 AM)
hahaha... greed definitely is one of the factor here

i'm same as u also, already got tonnes of xbox360 games haven't touch or semi finish, but still hand itchy go buy ps3 even knowing i won't have the time to play both console doh.gif
some more my wii & psp also there gathering dust, which i kept telling myself must find time to start Metroid trilogy which i wanted to play so bad, and yet after 2 years it's released, still haven't start it yet laugh.gif

already knew won't have time to play all those game, and yet can't resist to buy games, especially when it's on offer doh.gif

i think even after the next next gen console is out, i still can finish all of the games i have now tongue.gif

Added on March 10, 2011, 9:32 amare we getting like girl doing their shopping for clothing, bags and shoes?

they will buy just because those are on offer/special discount, and end up never wore them or use them laugh.gif
well said..LOL

can't resist the temptation to buy. too many factors eh. sweat.gif
bluesblock
post Mar 14 2011, 07:27 AM

4 posts

Nowadays games seem really repetitive and boring + not even have enough time to finish them...i only finish games which have sequels to it, i just bought bunch of other games to benchmark (PC) though...some games i bought is just to see that they live up to their reputation (graphics, physics, gameplay, etc)...

A lot of games, i would not even try to do side missions, quests...

This post has been edited by bluesblock: Mar 14 2011, 07:30 AM
diversity
post Mar 18 2011, 11:16 PM

Regular
1,178 posts

For me some games are just too crappy and boring, serious
snipersnake
post Mar 19 2011, 09:25 AM

typical abah
2,652 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Mar 4 2011, 01:57 PM)
oh yeah... forgot about DMC4... still haven't finish it after 2 years doh.gif
I bought it at launch. Still havent finished due to its BORING gaameplay.

My wife finished it 4 times.
lilko
post Mar 19 2011, 09:52 AM

Getting Started
95 posts

some games need too much patience and crap loads of time to beat...some are pretty hard unless you level up enuff... so, i just stop playing that game awhile... and i am not hardcore enough to plat a game...

This post has been edited by lilko: Mar 19 2011, 09:53 AM
RAMChYLD
post Mar 19 2011, 04:05 PM

Regular
1,715 posts

To be truthful, I got bengang when FFXIII hit chapter 11 and I dunno how to take it on. Then I got distracted by a Facebook game -.-'
trogdor1oh1
post Mar 20 2011, 03:10 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

Well I finally finished Bayonetta. Just when I thought I could go back to FONV and Mass Effect 2, Super Street Fighter 4 and my new arcade stick come in the mail.
I don't sit down to games for long, my attention span's just like that. After owning it for a couple of days I find I've clocked 7 hours of game time(remember, I go out and do other things as well). This is a new record for me as of late, and I'm still hooked to it.
I fear what'll happen once I get PSN though, it'll probably do the same to me as World of Warcraft did back when I played that.

Yeah I still have too many other games to beat but now I wanna focus on Fallout and ME2. They're just fun. Dragon Age 2? Naww I'll hold off on that for a bit
solemn_86
post Mar 21 2011, 07:23 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

I still haven't finished Dead Space 2....go figure
trogdor1oh1
post Mar 21 2011, 01:26 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

Dead Space games are p boring tbh
bluesblock
post Mar 22 2011, 07:41 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(solemn_86 @ Mar 21 2011, 07:23 AM)
I know y... sleep.gif'
solemn_86
post Mar 22 2011, 07:52 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(bluesblock @ Mar 22 2011, 07:41 AM)
I know y... sleep.gif'
Hehehehe <scared>
esca_flo
post Mar 22 2011, 09:04 PM

just learned how to do custom title today.....
770 posts

QUOTE(solemn_86 @ Mar 21 2011, 07:23 AM)
My copy of dead space 1 is calling me.
TSgreyshadow
post Mar 22 2011, 09:21 PM

1,826 posts

my copy of dead space 1 still shrink wrap tongue.gif

anyway~ since i haven't started it, best leave it that way, else i gonna have another copy of unfinished game doh.gif

picking up my fallout3, where i left off last year, kinda lost where and what i'm suppose to do, but after 1/2 hour playing it, all remember liaw tongue.gif

btw, i'm suppose to find me dog at the junkyard, but can't find it, mana pergi sudah? hmm.gif
gr8fr8
post Mar 23 2011, 10:28 AM

Enthusiast
841 posts

Not many original games nowadays. The only next gen games that got me hooked for quite a long time (single player mode - wise) is Uncharted

series. Beautiful to look at and plus the story and gameplay. Not too original in terms of gameplay but at least the overall package is just amazing.

And then MP wise, it was the first Modern Warfare. After that, not many games I play nowadays, except Winning Eleven which is a good pick up and play

game after work or before sleep.
solemn_86
post Mar 24 2011, 08:31 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(esca_flo @ Mar 22 2011, 09:04 PM)
My copy of dead space 1 is calling me.
Hehehehe shocking.gif
kirakosmos
post Mar 28 2011, 09:26 PM

On my way
501 posts

i dun complete this recent new game due to the high possibilities of glitch... at least until they repaired it, guess what games is that
emy_xvidia
post Mar 29 2011, 04:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,665 posts

if i dont finish a game, dats because i have no mood anymore in playing it, which i had a lot before buying it. mood swing sucks! tongue.gif

its not that the game itself bored me, its me who gets bored at myself playing games. lol
apiezsneo
post Mar 31 2011, 05:42 PM

333 posts

work work workkkkk. don't even have time for myself anymore.haiz...
samsk
post Jun 3 2011, 11:15 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

Work, gym , hang out and family time... Just not enough! only 12 hours per week or less for gaming... Play a while, wife scold beside.... And she is the one that brought me 5.1 home theater at the 1st place...
dark lenanza
post Jun 11 2011, 09:30 AM

Probationary DDOSer
1,492 posts

phewww
i had soo many game not finish
reason : i sell it before the price went down further
hahahahahaha

and i just had a new bulletstrom game
i bought it only fr GOW3 beta code
after beta endup never bother to play the bulletstorm
lol
reiki_longtime
post Jun 19 2011, 12:15 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

Too busy with work comitments to finish any games, the sad thing is I bought them using the salary I receive cry.gif

I still have star ocean till the end of time and fable 3 to complete. But I am now at the the final chapter of Yakuza 4, and need to replay dragon age 2 as I finish it (yea!) before they release the latest patch (1.03 I think).

Also, reading this thread just reminded me that I have yet to complete Mario Galaxy 2 and kingdom hearts birth by sleep.

I need to make a list of incomplete games I own...

rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by reiki_longtime: Jun 19 2011, 12:20 PM
TSgreyshadow
post Jun 20 2011, 12:10 PM

1,826 posts

lucky for me i don't need to make a list of games i haven't complete

i just need to take a look at my stacks of games there, all 99% incomplete doh.gif
gundamalpha
post Jun 20 2011, 12:18 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Jun 20 2011, 12:10 PM)
lucky for me i don't need to make a list of games i haven't complete

i just need to take a look at my stacks of games there, all 99% incomplete doh.gif
Let's just assume you have 10 games finished:

1% = 10games
100% = (100 x 10)/1
100% = 1000 games

huh.gif rclxm9.gif notworthy.gif
TSgreyshadow
post Jun 20 2011, 12:21 PM

1,826 posts

finished games all jual already whistling.gif

gundamalpha
post Jun 20 2011, 12:23 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Jun 20 2011, 12:21 PM)
finished games all jual already whistling.gif
So it means you have 0 completed games now:

1% = 0 game
100% = (100 x 0)/1
100% = 0 game

huh.gif mad.gif cry.gif
TSgreyshadow
post Aug 19 2011, 02:33 PM

1,826 posts

Quoted for thruth

QUOTE(Kotaku)
Nine Out of 10 Will Not Finish the Game They are Playing

Just 10 percent of gamers actually finish a game, an industry veteran told CNN in a recent feature, and his colleagues and other figures back him up. "Ninety percent of players who start your game will never see the end of it unless they watch a clip on YouTube," says Keith Fuller.

Raptr, the gaming social network, vouches for that, noting that only 10 percent of those in its service who have played Red Dead Redemption have finished the last mission for one of 2010's most acclaimed games. Raptr's John Lee, with a career that included executive jobs at Capcom, THQ and Sega, recalled being told the completion figure was about 20 percent.

CNN goes further into the psychology of completion, games design and the pile of shame, noting that as gamers' average age gets older, they have less time for massive, 40-hour campaigns. And even if they don't have a wife and kids, "The amount of digital distractions now is far greater than it's ever been before," says Konami's Jeremy Airey. "People need time to check their Facebook, send a Twitter, be witty on their blog, play with their phone — oh, and that game you made. If they feel as though the end is far away, they'll simply say, 'I don't have time for that' and stop playing."
Sos kicap ayam tomato http://kotaku.com/5832450/nine-out-of-10-w...hey-are-playing

another good read here:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadget...ideogames.snow/
Kidicarus
post Aug 19 2011, 03:58 PM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
VIP
727 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Aug 19 2011, 02:33 PM)
Quoted for thruth

QUOTE(Kotaku)
Nine Out of 10 Will Not Finish the Game They are Playing

Just 10 percent of gamers actually finish a game, an industry veteran told CNN in a recent feature, and his colleagues and other figures back him up. "Ninety percent of players who start your game will never see the end of it unless they watch a clip on YouTube," says Keith Fuller.

Raptr, the gaming social network, vouches for that, noting that only 10 percent of those in its service who have played Red Dead Redemption have finished the last mission for one of 2010's most acclaimed games. Raptr's John Lee, with a career that included executive jobs at Capcom, THQ and Sega, recalled being told the completion figure was about 20 percent.

CNN goes further into the psychology of completion, games design and the pile of shame, noting that as gamers' average age gets older, they have less time for massive, 40-hour campaigns. And even if they don't have a wife and kids, "The amount of digital distractions now is far greater than it's ever been before," says Konami's Jeremy Airey. "People need time to check their Facebook, send a Twitter, be witty on their blog, play with their phone — oh, and that game you made. If they feel as though the end is far away, they'll simply say, 'I don't have time for that' and stop playing."
Sos kicap ayam tomato http://kotaku.com/5832450/nine-out-of-10-w...hey-are-playing

another good read here:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadget...ideogames.snow/
Funny thing is, on trueachievements.com 44,977/85,673 of tracked gamers who own RDR obtained the "Nurture or Nature" achievement which is basically for completing the final mission in the game. I suppose this isn't really surprising considering it's a site for achievement hunters. Just goes to show that it really depends on which audience/community you're sampling. Anyway, I can say with pride that i complete (by this i mean the story mode/campaign) about 90% of the games i play. 100%ing achievements is a different story altogether.
TSgreyshadow
post Aug 19 2011, 04:10 PM

1,826 posts

Time and age catching up is my biggest issue now...
more commitment = less time/less patient for gaming

but knowing that I've no time for gaming, yet still continue buying new games as compared to many years ago which is quite the opposite

which i got all the time in the world but no money to buy games tongue.gif

How we wished that we can have all the time and money in the world for gaming wink.gif
gundamalpha
post Aug 19 2011, 04:14 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

People always use age as an excuse for playing less dry.gif

I myself just play less as time goes by nod.gif
TSgreyshadow
post Aug 19 2011, 04:28 PM

1,826 posts

QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Aug 19 2011, 04:14 PM)
People always use age as an excuse for playing less dry.gif

I myself just play less as time goes by nod.gif
user posted image
Your first statement clearly contradicts your second statement!
L.S.D
post Aug 22 2011, 04:10 PM

7 posts

I found that the passion to play games is lessen and lessen now. Maybe because i have an interesting life outside in the real world now tongue.gif

I still buy games that I deem interesting but always never get around to finish it sweat.gif
chickenshit36
post Aug 23 2011, 11:03 AM

On my way
501 posts

man i bought alot but never finish also... bought ps3 in july, now i;ve got like 15 games,

out of those only finished dragon age 2 (coz i really liked it). now im slowly goin thru dragon age origins.

prototype, bayonetta, dante inferno, ff13, star ocean all halfway play. not to mention other games like GT5 and nfs hot pursuit.

got like 3 games still sealed and waiting for me to get around to them biggrin.gif

like what the rest say, when studying got alot time but no money for gaming... now working got money but no time to play lol. i really wish i can take 2 weeks off and just sit home game whole day like the old days, but meh, we all need to grow up and theres responsibilities now zzz
ecchisama
post Aug 23 2011, 12:23 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

me getting older, so dont have enough time to play games
lilko
post Aug 23 2011, 05:43 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

irrelevant abit.. but here goes...

user posted image
EatMe
post Aug 24 2011, 12:43 PM

Getting Started
287 posts

I is jack sparrow, bought too much game with too little time to play.

This post has been edited by EatMe: Aug 24 2011, 01:10 PM
Far_Race
post Sep 7 2011, 08:41 PM

0 posts

play Mario Galaxy....hard as hell especially final level, need go through 8 different planet baru jumpa big boss
jaxmarine
post Sep 15 2011, 08:29 AM

Getting Started
98 posts

jz bought my PS3 last week, bought 3 games along,

tekken 6, played not more than a dozen rounds
FF XIII, played no more than 1 hour
Uncharted 2, still new in package

T.T

all due to too much work lately, & GF complain too much about me giving most my time to work then don't let me play game.
ico12
post Sep 16 2011, 12:48 AM

40 posts

QUOTE(jaxmarine @ Sep 15 2011, 08:29 AM)

T.T

all due to too much work lately, & GF complain too much about me giving most my time to work then don't let me play game.
GF vs. games

pick one tongue.gif
chickenshit36
post Sep 16 2011, 11:34 PM

On my way
501 posts

QUOTE(jaxmarine @ Sep 15 2011, 08:29 AM)

T.T

have to manage time lor...i try to game weekend mornings as the gf and family will sleep in. can get about 2 hours from there if im lucky. then if gf wanna hang out with her own friends or own activity in the day=PROFIT!! i will stay in and game haha
zlancerz
post Oct 26 2011, 10:58 AM

35 posts

i used to be a game addict when im younger. now, with all the college and social life, i hardly play any games at all. i guess, the thing that stops me from completing games is... maturity tongue.gif
rikusakurai
post Oct 26 2011, 03:08 PM

49 posts

nice topics.... but lucky on me... i finished all my game i buy... once i finish, i buy new game... if still not finish, i wont buy the games.. that my motto at all...

until now i nver touch ff13 yet... i really wanna play it... Enslaved so hard though...
cokecola76
post Nov 5 2011, 11:07 PM

9 posts

Not enough time coz got other commitment.
1) before married got abt 4 hours per day for games
2) after married become only 2 hours per day
3) after 1 child only left with 1 hour per day
4) after 2nd child only got 30 minutes.... Now only play 2 match fifa 12 per day...

de|phantom
post Nov 10 2011, 12:40 PM

▣⌇▣ Rest In Peace ▣⌇▣
891 posts

sometimes some levels are quite hard and very irritating..
gundamalpha
post Nov 14 2011, 11:02 AM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

www.backloggery.com is open for registration again! rclxm9.gif

This is a website for you to store your gaming datas, it's free and easy to use and navigate nod.gif

This post has been edited by gundamalpha: Nov 14 2011, 11:02 AM
TSgreyshadow
post Nov 14 2011, 11:16 AM

1,826 posts

QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Nov 14 2011, 11:02 AM)
www.backloggery.com is open for registration again! rclxm9.gif

This is a website for you to store your gaming datas, it's free and easy to use and navigate nod.gif
need to search, and key in one by one is a bit of too much hassle for me yawn.gif
now i just transferred all my games to a shelf, used to be in a box sweat.gif
now I just need to stare at those games to have a mixed feeling, happy to see my collection grows, sad to see so many incomplete games cry.gif
gundamalpha
post Nov 14 2011, 11:18 AM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Nov 14 2011, 11:16 AM)
need to search, and key in one by one is a bit of too much hassle for me yawn.gif
now i just transferred all my games to a shelf, used to be in a box sweat.gif
now I just need to stare at those games to have a mixed feeling, happy to see my collection grows, sad to see so many incomplete games cry.gif
Upgrade to shelf liao.. dry.gif notworthy.gif
Kidicarus
post Nov 15 2011, 12:32 AM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
VIP
727 posts

Dark souls + business trips, no game completions since october ...

TSgreyshadow
post Nov 15 2011, 09:30 AM

1,826 posts

now trying to clear my backlogged old games
just completed COD2, quit half way thru veteran mode, frustrated on wasting too much time on one level... switch to normal mode, and completed it
now doing COD3, normal mode damn bloody difficult also, tonight should be finishing it.
btw, me no achievement whore like some whistling.gif just complete the story is good enuf for me tongue.gif

next target... hmm.gif yeah... Oblivion or RDR:Undead Nightmare, both half way haven't complete
ajis
post Nov 16 2011, 07:44 AM

plastic love
3,554 posts

this thread make me sad
SWATwolf
post Nov 16 2011, 08:02 AM

Casual
430 posts

haven touch my uncharted 3 sad.gif
played 3 hours of xillia only sad.gif
TSgreyshadow
post Nov 16 2011, 08:11 PM

1,826 posts

xillia... make me sad sad.gif
haven't touch my vesperia yet doh.gif
gundamalpha
post Nov 16 2011, 08:53 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

My Destiny still halfway.. sleep.gif
ameenskywalker
post Nov 17 2011, 03:36 AM

Casual
343 posts

Just completed Gears 3, now resistance 3 halfway... then will proceed to Uncharted 3, and BF3 and COD3 and hopefully be done before Mass Effect 3... a lot of 'three' games pending.

This plan might change if i decided to start on Skyrim, still have not decided which console to go with it.. but judging by pq.. i'll probably go with PC like i did with Oblivion.

This post has been edited by ameenskywalker: Nov 17 2011, 03:37 AM
sifekangel
post Nov 18 2011, 10:11 AM

Casual
413 posts

stop when struck in certain stage.. get bored sad.gif
spartasolid
post Nov 22 2011, 03:04 AM

34 posts

Juz brought ps3 4week ago

Uncharted 3 : completed
Assasin Creed Revalation : Not yet
Modern Warfare 3 : not yet.
Dark soul : rarely play it
Skyrim : Playing it
Fifa 12 : play for fun
Resistance 3 : Rarely play it
ps3 fanboy
post Nov 24 2011, 04:00 PM

15 posts

Red Dead is damn boring..sometimes i got lost in mission
stanleyow
post Dec 6 2011, 01:59 PM

22 posts

Me too a lot of games need to complete, but not enough time...

1) Dark Souls - completed, but wana try Sorcerer character also...
2) Uncharted 3 - just started the opening only...
3) Batman AC - just played 1 hr+, really wana continue it....
4) Gears of War 2 - pending
5) Gears of War 3 - pending
6) Skyrim - currently playing (this is the culprit and most makan masa 1, haiz.... For those who decided to play this, prepare to throw away your social life, lol)

This post has been edited by stanleyow: Dec 6 2011, 02:00 PM
atyt1985
post Dec 16 2011, 12:14 PM

Getting Started
96 posts

I have 3 games as i just bought my ps3 last month

1. ff13
2. dmc4
3. tekken 6
and some downloaded games like infamous festival of blood.

I stop playing ff13 since its all about fighting and there is like no freedom of exploring. dmc4 because i always experience screen freeze during the gameplay and it really pisses me off. well for tekken i only play like vs sometimes with friends. so far only completed festival of blood
gundamalpha
post Dec 16 2011, 12:19 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

Just bought 3DS less than 1 week ago

1. Monster Hunter 3G

Only 1 game to play sad.gif
ajis
post Dec 16 2011, 08:54 PM

plastic love
3,554 posts

thread untuk orang tua
lost_destiny
post Dec 18 2011, 03:46 PM

Getting Started
145 posts

I didn't finish some of my video games is because...

Well, one of the reason is that at some point the game was no longer entertaining to me. Then, it became a burden for me to finish the game. When it becomes a burden, I'd say, "Ah screw you game"

Second of all, when I stopped playing the game after a while, I'd forget the whole story line. Discouraged by obligations to replay the game, I just moved on to other games.
hades4eve
post Dec 22 2011, 12:44 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

Sometimes game mood is too darn hard that you stuck at that mission forever... and even when you use cheat yet can't solve it sleep.gif Imma noob
chew3344
post Dec 29 2011, 05:59 PM

Getting Started
282 posts

I used to complete every single games i bought like you...until i took an arrow to my kneexD
domodo
post Jan 7 2012, 01:11 AM

Getting Started
54 posts

never ending story.
PakLongKedah
post Jan 8 2012, 01:05 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(chew3344 @ Dec 29 2011, 05:59 PM)
I used to complete every single games i bought like you...until i took an arrow to my kneexD
u play every single game with ur knee?? lol
TongCN
post Jan 11 2012, 02:51 PM

Look ma, I have lots stars :D
4,819 posts

QUOTE(PakLongKedah @ Jan 8 2012, 01:05 AM)
u play every single game with ur knee?? lol
What he means is he give up, lol ..

Added on January 11, 2012, 2:55 pmJust platinum my Uncharted 3.

And now outstation for 2 months and cannot touch my PS3 sad.gif

Currently playing Tales of Xillia.

Pending game to be platinum: Killzone 3, Ar Tonelico 3, Batman AC
Pending game to be finish: Battlefield 3, Assassin Creed 2

Only can done after 2 months later doh.gif

This post has been edited by TongCN: Jan 11 2012, 02:55 PM
skeleton202
post Jan 20 2012, 12:46 PM

Perdana Malaysia ke-9
1,132 posts

this is why :

- i dun buy game like assassin creed / prince of persia
- fifa > all
hafez13
post Jan 20 2012, 11:26 PM

excited nintendo switch fanboi
1,273 posts

crap,gonna finish my zeldaaaa
Loto
post Jan 29 2012, 02:45 AM

Getting Started
114 posts

Hey! I did finished my game! Well, just one recently. Dragon Quest V for the DS was oooooooohhhhh.... so good. And slightly grindy, in true DQ fashion. Killed the final boss after two tries. One when my main team are all dead and the second, all of 'em out of MP before I even get to his final form. GODFEKKINGDAMMIT

Can't be arsed to finish Darksiders 'coz button-mashing tends to get so, so boring in it. Gonna finish Prototype, though.
S.S.I
post Mar 22 2012, 12:08 PM

1 posts

main arkham city and tinggal nk solve argument training je
tp sangat pissed off ngan argument training tu so blah je main game lain..
haha
lewmoker
post Mar 22 2012, 04:49 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

not much time to play...
some more after married the time is limited even more.
most of the time i play in the morning when i watch live football...
but honestly 80% of my gaming time i play soccer game so how to finish all those RPG???
sadaharukouya
post Mar 29 2012, 05:14 PM

49 posts

my dog ate my game.

Attached Image
ramz
post Mar 31 2012, 10:55 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,739 posts

Too busy with wii.in malaysia wii is not a video game console
blah2blah
post Mar 31 2012, 01:05 PM

Enthusiast
741 posts

dunno what to play. for me i can't seen to sit properly and finish my ps3 games. got 1 sealed copy game also dunno when to start. that is why i prefer portable. play anywhere, anytime.
wairai
post Apr 1 2012, 06:49 PM

Casual
351 posts

Not feeling playing any consoles games rite now sad.gif

even pc games are also hard to play without being lazy biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by wairai: Apr 1 2012, 06:50 PM
shinjite
post Apr 4 2012, 09:11 AM

�ŞħĬΩĵΐŦ��
All Stars
19,176 posts

Mine would be I don't have the passion and will I once have during my early years

Don't have enough time is not an excuse for me sad.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0710sec    0.46    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:42 PM