> Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

tsg_7
post Aug 3 2020, 08:46 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Feb 28 2011, 12:36 AM)
Hi Guys.

Just would like to share some insights on shaving (facial hair, that is!).

My occupation prefers (but does not require) me to be clean-shaven, and until recently, I've had trouble with shaving.  Mind you, I'm hitting 31 this year, so I'm no newbie to razor burns, nicks and cuts.

I used to use multi-bladed cartridge shavers (Gillete, Shick, Bic) with canned spray-foam. A summary of my problems:

1.  I ALWAYS had razor burns in order to attain a near- 'baby-smooth-shave'. This prevented me shaving daily as my face needed healing time.

2.  Shaving cartridge blades are expensive. RM10 per cartridge for a Mach 3.

3.  Due to no.2 above, I tend to use the blades longer (like a week or two) before changing them. This dulled the blades, causing further 'no.1' problems.

4.  Sometimes, I got ingrown hairs (yuk)
Anyway, went searching for an alternative, and the first thing I did was change the foam. From canned-spray, I started using home-made shaving soaps, mixed into a thick, luxurious lather with a shaving brush. This was OK, I got less of the burns, but the shave quality was still S***.

So, I got myself my first ol-skool double-edged razor. Was the only one available, less than RM10 per razor, and about RM2 per pack of 5 blades.  First shave was horrible. Scarry as hell. Thanks to the internet and practice, got me a good routine going, and got closer shaves than was ever possible with a cartridge razor.

By now, I managed to source real shaving soap. It really makes a mockery of the 'whipped-cream' sold in supermarkets.

But I wanted to grow up, and get a proper DE razor. Never found one in KL. Even Acca Kappa doesn't stock 'em.  I thought that with all the cheap blades being sold everywhere (mostly at Indian grocery shops), one would easily find a quality DE razor. Was wrong.  Best I could find was an RM4 made in China number that tried to carve my face off!

Anyway, long story short, I got my Edwin Jagger DE89 and got me the closest shave ever. Really, a BBS! No bleeding, no razor burn, and no stinging while putting aftershave. 

I now shave everyday, and I S*** you not, its actually enjoyable!

Here's my gear:

[attachmentid=2065756]

[attachmentid=2065757]
Shaving soap and brush:
[attachmentid=2065759]
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0376sec    0.57    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd April 2021 - 11:20 PM