Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

subliminal_dreams
post Oct 18 2020, 06:15 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

I've been shaving with cartridges for years and only realized the con when I splurged on the latest Gillette Fusion proglide or whatever its called and felt thoroughly cheated. The first shave felt really raw, and although no cuts but the razor burn was horrible.

So been doing some reading and went through this helpful thread as well and decided to get into the game. Just got this in the post, can't wait to try it tomorrow morning.. just hope I dont cut myself into ribbons.

user posted image

niakulah
post Oct 18 2020, 07:50 PM

Senior Artisan
1,182 posts

QUOTE(subliminal_dreams @ Oct 18 2020, 06:15 PM)
I've been shaving with cartridges for years and only realized the con when I splurged on the latest Gillette Fusion proglide or whatever its called and felt thoroughly cheated. The first shave felt really raw, and although no cuts but the razor burn was horrible.

So been doing some reading and went through this helpful thread as well and decided to get into the game. Just got this in the post, can't wait to try it tomorrow morning.. just hope I dont cut myself into ribbons.

user posted image
Unless you are working from home, I would suggest you shave before bed or try it on the weekend. Or wake up really really early.

Don't want to have a minor emergency on your hands when you need to rush to work.
subliminal_dreams
post Oct 19 2020, 03:52 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

Just popped the cherry today. Damn, I wish I had discovered the joys of proper wet shaving ages ago. Took a bit of trial and error to get the angle right, and it's so smooth I could hardly feel it till I had to turn off the water just to hear the razor slicing.. and not a single nick even after doing 3 passes! I am sold, and would definitely advocate this to my buddies. Thanks to all the contributors in this thread, really much appreciated.
jaegerfox80
post Jan 14 2021, 02:22 AM

1 posts

Hi sifu-sifu sekalian. I'm new to wet shaving and just bought EJ de89. Any idea where I can source a razor and brush stand fromblocal seller? Thank you ya.
Gwynbleidd
post Jan 14 2021, 09:29 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(jaegerfox80 @ Jan 14 2021, 02:22 AM)
Hi sifu-sifu sekalian. I'm new to wet shaving and just bought EJ de89. Any idea where I can source a razor and brush stand fromblocal seller? Thank you ya.
https://shopee.com.my/survivalkit
friedricetheman
post Jan 24 2021, 10:40 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
915 posts

QUOTE(subliminal_dreams @ Oct 19 2020, 03:52 PM)
Just popped the cherry today. Damn, I wish I had discovered the joys of proper wet shaving ages ago. Took a bit of trial and error to get the angle right, and it's so smooth I could hardly feel it till I had to turn off the water just to hear the razor slicing.. and not a single nick even after doing 3 passes! I am sold, and would definitely advocate this to my buddies. Thanks to all the contributors in this thread, really much appreciated.
You should try straight razors and shavettes. I have been using shavettes for almost 2 years now. Previously I was also using safety razors.

Shavettes give you an ultra close shave. Highly recommended.
niakulah
post Jan 25 2021, 08:30 AM

Senior Artisan
1,182 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Jan 24 2021, 10:40 PM)
You should try straight razors and shavettes. I have been using shavettes for almost 2 years now. Previously I was also using safety razors.

Shavettes give you an ultra close shave. Highly recommended.
I was using shavette for almost 5 years. Now the novelty worn off and malas already. With a good DE razor and proper technique (still way easier than using shavette), I get a shave that is almost the same as my shavette. Close enough that no one but me can tell the difference.

It's diminishing returns IMO. If you want that extra 2% by using a shavette, then go for it.
friedricetheman
post Jan 25 2021, 12:01 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
915 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Jan 25 2021, 08:30 AM)
I was using shavette for almost 5 years. Now the novelty worn off and malas already. With a good DE razor and proper technique (still way easier than using shavette), I get a shave that is almost the same as my shavette. Close enough that no one but me can tell the difference.

It's diminishing returns IMO. If you want that extra 2% by using a shavette, then go for it.
I find that I shave only once every two days if I use a shavette when compared to daily shaves if using safety razors.

I believe it depends on how fast your facial hair grows. Mine grows pretty fast.
veralicious
post Mar 2 2021, 08:45 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(veralicious @ Jan 24 2018, 12:20 PM)
Was using Mach3 for years, knew about DE razor but never look into it. Recently, my Mach3 is at its last cartridge, was thinking, ughhhhh not again, another RM40 for four or RM80 for eight cartridges. That was when I made up my mind. Found this forum, crawled around the internet for a few days. Then, finally pulled the trigger, bought myself an Edwin Jagger DE89 (came with 5 feathers blade), and another 100 Astra Blade from connaughtshaving.com

Was really excited, it came! Locked and loaded Feather blade and started to shave. First two shave with feather, holy, my face is literally red, bloody hell lol. The overall experience was actually better than freaking Mach3 cartridge, even though yes, it's blood everywhere on my face. So I switched the blade from feather to Astra, and from there, everything went uphill, a few nicks here and there, but the shave experience, waaaaaaaaaaaay better. Tbh, I am not sure if I got better from it or the Feather blade is just not meant for me. Anyway, last night was my 5th shave with DE razor, love it, actually I enjoyed it.

Now I want to upgrade my shave quality to another level, looking to change my Schick canned foam to Arko shaving stick. I wan to buy it in bulk, it will come with 12 Arko sticks. The price is around RM90-95 for 12 sticks, looking to spare half, so 6 of them.  If any of you interested, please do let me know.
After three years, I am happy to report that I am still loving my DE shaving. Though for the past year I have been working from home, and the frequency of shaving has been reduced from 2/3 days to a week or so.

Last night I was browsing around Youtube, came across a few channels involving them getting shaving service from barbers across the world. And then I realized, yea I am still missing that shaving brush. Yes, you didn't see it wrong. For the past three years I have been shaving with no shaving brush. No bowl or face lathering, it is straight up lathering the soap with my hands on my face. I have always wanting to get that shaving brush but after my first purchase from connaughtshaving.com, I don't want to get just the brush from the international website. Back to what I said, I have decided to get myself a shaving brush and look around Shopee for options. Surprisingly, I found quite a few sellers now compared to back then. Did more lurking around the internet(i.e Reddit), decided to go with synthetic shaving brush instead of boar or badger. Reasons? 1) I am kinda a beginner when it comes to shaving brush as I have never used one before. Synthetic brush is generally recommended for beginner. 2) Because I am shaving much less now, I don't have to wait for the brush to break in to get that softness. 3) They dry up faster and no soaking required before you use it.

If you want a more detailed advantage of synthetic, here https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/commen...web2x&context=3

Anyhow, the sellers that I found are:
https://shopee.com.my/ekotopia
https://shopee.com.my/survivalkit (Thanks Gwynbleidd)
Of course, there are other sellers but they aren't quite interested me.

For starters, Ekotopia has Yaqi brushes. And Survivalkit sells both Omega & Semogue brushes. One or both of them sell Merkur, Rockwell, Yaqi and of course some of the other branded razors. If you are new to DE shaving or you are just looking to expand your collection, this is a pretty good place to start.

Which synthetic brush that I am going to get? Most likely Yaqi's. I have seen quite a few people speaking highly of Yaqi's synthetic brush, be it on Youtube or Reddit. Coincidentally, Ekotopia store has a wide range of Yaqi brushes in store and in stock, and they are quite affordable too. Among them, the more popular synthetic handle options from Yaqi seem to be: 1) Sagrada 2) Deepspace 3) Barber

Top 5 Synthetic Shaving Brushes (surprise surprise, 3 of top 5 were Yaqi) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dXRhMo7cWg
If you need more details about the Yaqi brushes - https://www.yaqishaving.com.au/collections/...price-ascending and https://www.razorus.com/yaqi?sort=5
The guy that I was talking about travelling around the world to get shaving service https://www.youtube.com/c/HairCutHarry/videos

For the past few years, I think I went through 2 or 3 Arko soap sticks. Currently, I am using Proraso but I bought it from Ebay a year ago. But now you can find it on Shopee for RM37, not bad not bad https://shopee.com.my/Proraso-Green-Red-Whi...2476.3739442598

Razor blades? Still on my 100 Astra blades since day one, guess it is going to take me a few more years I bet.

Anyway, I am going to stop here, just thought I should share my homework to y'all. And like I said before, I am no expert, so please take my word as a grain of salt. That's all for now, have a good shave guys smile.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by veralicious: Mar 2 2021, 08:47 PM
asrafzonan
post Jun 27 2021, 07:28 PM

32 posts

Just started wet shaving myself.
Bought Cukur from Ekotopia on June
Then bought brush, bowl, Stirling sandalwood shave soap (sample) n just got Stirling spice post shave balm just now
Been thinking to either take proraso sandalwood shave cream or old spice shave cream
isr25
post Aug 30 2021, 05:25 PM

Enthusiast
705 posts

Hey, just found this community - I bought the Feather SS Kamisori razor since MCO last year, since no barber. At first only to shave around the hair areas, but then I started to use it to shave my facial hair. It only fully replaced my usual Gilette Fusion since June this year and never looked back since.

Takes more time to shave, but definitely more rewarding & fun.

user posted image
asrafzonan
post Sep 19 2021, 09:05 AM

32 posts

user posted image
SOTD
feels like putting iced lemonade on my face
DennisMay
post Oct 14 2021, 01:12 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

I hate shaving, so I left the beard.