32 Pages « < 28 29 30 31 32 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

QuickFire
post Feb 29 2020, 04:12 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,749 posts

QUOTE(heavyduty @ Feb 29 2020, 08:55 AM)
English shaving co. ? The usually have 15% off or free shipping without min order
Thanks for this! Shipping isn't free but still much cheaper than Connaught.
LiangZhuge
post May 12 2020, 11:54 AM

Casual
450 posts

Recently found a Malaysian brand Cukur (made in India) safety razor. Selling around Rm40+. Anyone here have any experience with it ? Ada bagus a ? smile.gif

https://www.ekotopia.com.my/cukur
Jamakhai
post May 25 2020, 10:33 PM

6 posts

user posted image

Hi guys.

I'm so happy to know that there are quite a number of wet shavers in Malaysia.
I've been wet shaving for the last 22 years. But all this while I was using really bad safety razors. Never really knew how much difference a good razor makes. Then after much research, I decided to get the Edwin Jagger DE89. Holy cow! What a razor!! No razor burns, nicks etc. I use Gillette Wilkinson Sword as well as Astra blades.
The Gillette Wilkinson Swords are superb.
Anyways, any idea where I can get hold of Arko soaps? I heard some good things about them.
niakulah
post May 25 2020, 11:04 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(Jamakhai @ May 25 2020, 10:33 PM)
user posted image

Hi guys.

I've been wet shaving for the last 22 years. But all this while I was using really bad safety razors. Never really knew how much difference a good razor makes. Then after much research, I decided to get the Edwin Jagger DE89. Holy cow! What a razor!! No razor burns, nicks etc. I use Gillette Wilkinson Sword as well as Astra blades.
Anyways, any idea where I can get hold of Arko soaps? I heard some good things about them.
The post right above you. Their Lazada shop has quite a good selection of wet shaving equipment including Arko soaps.
kkk8787
post May 25 2020, 11:35 PM

Julyd8th
2,150 posts

QUOTE(Jamakhai @ May 25 2020, 10:33 PM)
user posted image

Hi guys.

Wait the handle makes so much difference? I thought it's the blades which matter.
Im using some China baili brand maybe I should change it better ones?
Ewww!
post May 26 2020, 01:31 AM

Regular
1,310 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ Oct 8 2018, 12:16 AM)
[attachmentid=10058404]
Gillette NEW Deluxe with Nivea Men Shave Stick and Aftershave Lotion...
QUOTE(biloxee @ Nov 10 2018, 01:26 PM)
I got them from overseas.

The Post Shave Balm is available at local pharmacies/grocery stores...
Whoa! Cool sets. Any idea where can I get it locally?

This post has been edited by Ewww!: May 26 2020, 11:09 PM
Jamakhai
post May 27 2020, 01:33 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(kkk8787 @ May 25 2020, 11:35 PM)
Wait the handle makes so much difference? I thought it's the blades which matter.
Im using some China baili brand maybe I should change it better ones?
Edwin Jagger razors have the same heads. However there are various types of handles. The price of the razor depends on the type of handle you choose. I have the chrome as well as the black handle.
As for blades, these are very important. I currently use the Gillette Wilkinson Sword. These are sharp and very smooth. I have tried many blades but this one is awesome. For me these are better than Astra.
kkk8787
post May 27 2020, 04:42 PM

Julyd8th
2,150 posts

QUOTE(Jamakhai @ May 27 2020, 01:33 PM)
Edwin Jagger razors have the same heads. However there are various types of handles. The price of the razor depends on the type of handle you choose. I have the chrome as well as the black handle.
As for blades, these are very important. I currently use the Gillette Wilkinson Sword. These are sharp and very smooth. I have tried many blades but this one is awesome. For me these are better than Astra.
Where u bought from
biloxee
post May 27 2020, 09:48 PM

On my way
560 posts

QUOTE(Ewww! @ May 26 2020, 01:31 AM)
Whoa! Cool sets. Any idea where can I get it locally?
No idea, sorry.
Jamakhai
post Jun 5 2020, 01:12 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ Apr 16 2016, 04:16 PM)
Sigh. I just got like a whole box of Arkos...
And I have other creams too to spice things up once in a while.
[attachmentid=6398925]
Hi. Any idea where I can purchase Arko soaps locally? I get them online. But delivery time can be very slow. If u have any to sell, I'll be happy to.purchase.
<-- no content -->
biloxee
post Jun 12 2020, 11:27 AM

On my way
560 posts

QUOTE(Jamakhai @ Jun 5 2020, 01:12 PM)
Hi. Any idea where I can purchase Arko soaps locally? I get them online. But delivery time can be very slow. If u have any to sell, I'll be happy to.purchase.
Try https://hairdressing.com.my/

They have Proraso too...
blackbox14
post Jun 20 2020, 01:36 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(LiangZhuge @ May 12 2020, 11:54 AM)
Recently found a Malaysian brand Cukur (made in India) safety razor. Selling around Rm40+. Anyone here have any experience with it ? Ada bagus a ? smile.gif

https://www.ekotopia.com.my/cukur
Hey. I'm a relative newbie to wet shaving and I've been using their short-handle razor and brush.

I could be mistaken, but from using Google to search for Indian manufacturers with similar-looking products, the Cukur brand items (specifically the brush and razors) appear to have been sourced from Pearl, which is one of several Indian companies including Parker and Romer. Some people have commented that Pearl razors are more on the aggressive side, but since the Cukur razor is my only DE so far and with my lack of experience, I can't confirm or deny that. I've gotten pretty close shaves with it with no pressure, though.

The build quality of the razor is okay for the price. I like the overall finish but diamond knurling on the grip is a bit rough when dry. Helps a lot with wet grip, though.

Brush is fantastic so far. But my first brush was a Venus that shed bristles like no tomorrow, so can't comment much on that either.

Not sure how these items will hold up in the hands of more experienced wet-shavers.
Jamakhai
post Jul 3 2020, 07:11 PM

6 posts

Hi guys.

I have a brand new Edwin Jagger DE89 razor for sale. It's still in the box. Never been used. I currently have another Edwin Jagger that I am currently using.
If anyone is interested to. Purchase, please do let me know. I can't upload pictures because file size is too big. You may text me at 0182804077 for more information.
JustcallmeLarry
post Aug 3 2020, 08:42 PM

Regular
1,316 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Jun 13 2017, 08:56 PM)
Too costly, Rockwell 6C better value
QUOTE(fauxfides @ Jun 14 2017, 11:04 PM)
And I totally agree with you. Rockwell 6C is indeed the better buy but some people here are collectors and they might be interested lol
hi guys, sorry to bump your old post but need to find out when you guys bought your rockwell 6c was the total you had to pay was 50usd and thats all? It will be delivered right to your doorstep?
Asking bcs i need to know will there be additional charges by our customs and will they hold your item???
tsg_7
post Aug 3 2020, 08:46 PM

Regular
1,803 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Feb 28 2011, 12:36 AM)
Hi Guys.

Just would like to share some insights on shaving (facial hair, that is!).

My occupation prefers (but does not require) me to be clean-shaven, and until recently, I've had trouble with shaving.  Mind you, I'm hitting 31 this year, so I'm no newbie to razor burns, nicks and cuts.

I used to use multi-bladed cartridge shavers (Gillete, Shick, Bic) with canned spray-foam. A summary of my problems:

1.  I ALWAYS had razor burns in order to attain a near- 'baby-smooth-shave'. This prevented me shaving daily as my face needed healing time.

2.  Shaving cartridge blades are expensive. RM10 per cartridge for a Mach 3.

3.  Due to no.2 above, I tend to use the blades longer (like a week or two) before changing them. This dulled the blades, causing further 'no.1' problems.

4.  Sometimes, I got ingrown hairs (yuk)
Anyway, went searching for an alternative, and the first thing I did was change the foam. From canned-spray, I started using home-made shaving soaps, mixed into a thick, luxurious lather with a shaving brush. This was OK, I got less of the burns, but the shave quality was still S***.

So, I got myself my first ol-skool double-edged razor. Was the only one available, less than RM10 per razor, and about RM2 per pack of 5 blades.  First shave was horrible. Scarry as hell. Thanks to the internet and practice, got me a good routine going, and got closer shaves than was ever possible with a cartridge razor.

By now, I managed to source real shaving soap. It really makes a mockery of the 'whipped-cream' sold in supermarkets.

But I wanted to grow up, and get a proper DE razor. Never found one in KL. Even Acca Kappa doesn't stock 'em.  I thought that with all the cheap blades being sold everywhere (mostly at Indian grocery shops), one would easily find a quality DE razor. Was wrong.  Best I could find was an RM4 made in China number that tried to carve my face off!

Anyway, long story short, I got my Edwin Jagger DE89 and got me the closest shave ever. Really, a BBS! No bleeding, no razor burn, and no stinging while putting aftershave. 

I now shave everyday, and I S*** you not, its actually enjoyable!

Here's my gear:

[attachmentid=2065756]

[attachmentid=2065757]
Shaving soap and brush:
[attachmentid=2065759]
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Jamakhai
post Aug 12 2020, 06:01 PM

6 posts

Anyone wants to sell a Merkur 34C razor?
I currently use an Edwin Jagger DE89 and a Parker Variant Adjustable. Need a 34C to complete my collection.

I also use Personna Lab Blue as well as Personna Red along with Astra SP blades, Arko and Proraso soaps and creams and an awesome badger brush from China.
P_$layer_123
post Sep 20 2020, 02:47 PM

40 posts

I am new to wet shaving, switched from catridge to safety razor because of skin irritation.

Now using Baili Butterfly, Super nacet blade, Proraso shaving soap, some unknown badger brush and nivea after shave balm. I am so glad that I changed to safety razor! No more irritation on the skin.

I was aiming to buy a EJ or Muhle razor but was put off by the price and worried that I might not like them. I searched at Aliexpress and found a chinese company selling almost identical product to Muhle R89 and EJ DE89 head. Already placed my order and if I find it to be any good will post my review here!
terradrgn
post Sep 20 2020, 03:17 PM

Getting Started
250 posts

QUOTE(P_$layer_123 @ Sep 20 2020, 02:47 PM)
I am new to wet shaving, switched from catridge to safety razor because of skin irritation.

Now using Baili Butterfly, Super nacet blade, Proraso shaving soap, some unknown badger brush and nivea after shave balm. I am so glad that I changed to safety razor! No more irritation on the skin.

I was aiming to buy a EJ or Muhle razor but was put off by the price and worried that I might not like them. I searched at Aliexpress and found a chinese company selling almost identical product to Muhle R89 and EJ DE89 head. Already placed my order and if I find it to be any good will post my review here!
eagerly awaiting your review rclxm9.gif
Lord Flak`
post Sep 21 2020, 09:10 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

This is ancient piece of technology

niakulah
post Sep 22 2020, 03:14 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(Lord Flak` @ Sep 21 2020, 09:10 PM)
This is ancient piece of technology
And yet so many people on this thread has found it to be superior to "modern" disposables.

32 Pages « < 28 29 30 31 32 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0280sec    1.04    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 27th February 2021 - 12:31 AM