33 Pages « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

mon20gol
post Mar 20 2017, 09:52 PM

Getting Started
60 posts

Anyone selling Gillette 7o in klang valley area?
Byyyz
post Mar 20 2017, 11:56 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

QUOTE(mon20gol @ Mar 20 2017, 09:52 PM)
Anyone selling Gillette 7o in klang valley area?
You can try Haniffa department store, I got the 100 blades for RM25.
user posted image
biloxee
post Mar 24 2017, 12:13 AM

On my way
561 posts

Attached Image
Older than most grandparents but still going strong.
Loving the aggressive but smooth shave...
nick67
post Mar 27 2017, 09:15 PM

What?
1,501 posts

Planning on getting the Fatip but seems like there are a lot of complaints on the QC. Some are experiencing significant blade play. Though its really cheap for a "modern" razor made from brass.

Also quite tempted to get the Cella 1kg soap but it'll take me years to finish it. The bulk price is almost half the cost of the tubs by weight.

Anyone acquired any new razors lately?

This post has been edited by nick67: Mar 27 2017, 09:19 PM
ZintanthraX
post Mar 28 2017, 11:04 AM

La Dolce Vita
2,318 posts

i've been using a cheap china shavette with gillette razors for almost two years now and the shavette is starting to get rusty.

any idea on where can i get a stainless steel shavette, with better razors (feather etc.) in malaysia?
biloxee
post Apr 1 2017, 03:17 PM

On my way
561 posts

Edwin Jagger's £0.99 shipping promo...
Attached Image
biloxee
post Apr 15 2017, 06:54 PM

On my way
561 posts

Simple shave with a British flat-bottom Tech...
Attached Image

QuickFire
post Apr 22 2017, 03:30 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

Just splurged on a Feather AS-D2 on Massdrop. It costs 140USD (usual price 200USD). Never used a DE razor before but I somehow had the urge to get one after reading about the Feather online. Currently my routine is simply a Phillips electric shaver or a Gillette 2-blade Sensor Excel. The electric is okay (the head needs replacement now though) but definitely not a close shave. The Gillette is closer but causes razor burns.

I'll read through this whole thread now but if you guys have any tips for a shaving brush and cream/soap for a beginner (and one that has sensitive skin), that would be great.

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Apr 22 2017, 03:30 PM
QuickFire
post Apr 23 2017, 08:26 PM

2,865 posts

Well after buying the AS-D2, I needed a shaving cream and brush, so I'm planning on getting the following:

1. Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream - Avocado (GBP 7.50)
http://connaughtshaving.com/tayscb.html

2. Edwin Jagger EJ28 synthetic brush (GBP 27.50)
http://connaughtshaving.com/3ej282synst.html

Any thoughts or comments before I commit? Thanks.

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Apr 23 2017, 08:26 PM
niakulah
post Apr 23 2017, 09:03 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 23 2017, 08:26 PM)
Well after buying the AS-D2, I needed a shaving cream and brush, so I'm planning on getting the following:

Bro

Just a quick experiment before you buy. Try using oil. Just dip 3 fingertips in it and massage it into your face before shaving. Best is argan, grapeseed or virgin coconut oil, but you can try with normal cooking oil if you don't have any of those.

I tried it and never looked back. Currently using a blend of grapeseed oil and virgin coconut oil, mixed with some cedarwood and lemongrass essential oil. Use it to take care of my goatee and my shaving.
QuickFire
post Apr 23 2017, 10:52 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Apr 23 2017, 09:03 PM)
Bro

Just a quick experiment before you buy. Try using oil. Just dip 3 fingertips in it and massage it into your face before shaving. Best is argan, grapeseed or virgin coconut oil, but you can try with normal cooking oil if you don't have any of those.

I tried it and never looked back. Currently using a blend of grapeseed oil and virgin coconut oil, mixed with some cedarwood and lemongrass essential oil. Use it to take care of my goatee and my shaving.
Wow that sounds adventurous. I'm assuming the oil will gunk up the razor? Need to properly wash it after each shave then.

However if it works then it works. How does it compare to using a sharp inf cream or soap? I guess you don't even need a shaving brush then huh?

Btw, I've read through this thread and see Haniffa Textiles being mentioned a few times. Are the shaving creams and brushes there worthwhile?

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Apr 23 2017, 10:53 PM
niakulah
post Apr 23 2017, 11:35 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 23 2017, 10:52 PM)
Wow that sounds adventurous. I'm assuming the oil will gunk up the razor? Need to properly wash it after each shave then.

However if it works then it works. How does it compare to using a sharp inf cream or soap? I guess you don't even need a shaving brush then huh?

Btw, I've read through this thread and see Haniffa Textiles being mentioned a few times. Are the shaving creams and brushes there worthwhile?
Hmmm.. gunking is not an issue for me because I use a shavette. A quick strop across my palm and it's clean.

Never used anything other than the usual supermarket creams and gels. The oil is head and shoulders above them. No shaving brush. Just a glass bottle with pump dispenser.

Not been to Haniffa before either. Sorry.
veron208
post Apr 25 2017, 04:07 PM

On my way
656 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 23 2017, 08:26 PM)

You can get a brush stand to hang and dry the brush. How are you going to mix the cream ? You can use a small cup like me smile.gif
I have tested Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream - Sandalwood and it smells refreshing.
QuickFire
post Apr 25 2017, 04:37 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Apr 23 2017, 11:35 PM)
Hmmm.. gunking is not an issue for me because I use a shavette. A quick strop across my palm and it's clean.

Never used anything other than the usual supermarket creams and gels. The oil is head and shoulders above them. No shaving brush. Just a glass bottle with pump dispenser.

Not been to Haniffa before either. Sorry.
Damn, a shavette. That's as bad as a straight razor to someone like me at this stage. Can't imagine me ever using one...

QUOTE(veron208 @ Apr 25 2017, 04:07 PM)
You can get a brush stand to hang and dry the brush. How are you going to mix the cream ? You can use a small cup like me smile.gif
I have tested Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream - Sandalwood and it smells refreshing.
I ordered a cheapo (supposedly stainless steel) bowl from eBay. But I prefer the rustic look of a wooden bowl though, so I may get one in the future (saw one for RM 30 in muji). I heard the avocado lathers the most and has most lubrication. And it has less scent compared to the rest. All of which should bode well for someone with acne prone skin like me.
veron208
post Apr 25 2017, 05:29 PM

On my way
656 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 25 2017, 04:37 PM)
Damn, a shavette. That's as bad as a straight razor to someone like me at this stage. Can't imagine me ever using one...
I ordered a cheapo (supposedly stainless steel) bowl from eBay. But I prefer the rustic look of a wooden bowl though, so I may get one in the future (saw one for RM 30 in muji). I heard the avocado lathers the most and has most lubrication. And it has less scent compared to the rest. All of which should bode well for someone with acne prone skin like me.
You can get an aftershave from Loccitane.
biloxee
post Apr 30 2017, 12:12 PM

On my way
561 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 22 2017, 03:30 PM)
Just splurged on a Feather AS-D2 on Massdrop. It costs 140USD (usual price 200USD). Never used a DE razor before but I somehow had the urge to get one after reading about the Feather online. Currently my routine is simply a Phillips electric shaver or a Gillette 2-blade Sensor Excel. The electric is okay (the head needs replacement now though) but definitely not a close shave. The Gillette is closer but causes razor burns.

I'll read through this whole thread now but if you guys have any tips for a shaving brush and cream/soap for a beginner (and one that has sensitive skin), that would be great.
Nice razor. You must be rclxm9.gif waiting for it to arrive... biggrin.gif
QuickFire
post Apr 30 2017, 08:57 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(veron208 @ Apr 25 2017, 05:29 PM)
You can get an aftershave from Loccitane.
I'll refrain from using an aftershave for now, don't want to be adding too many new routines to the new regime immediately smile.gif

QUOTE(biloxee @ Apr 30 2017, 12:12 PM)
Nice razor. You must be  rclxm9.gif waiting for it to arrive...  biggrin.gif
The estimated shipping date is 16 May though, hopefully it arrives before end of the month because I'll be in HK for 3 months for a work assignment.

To be honest I got the AS-D2 on the basis that I will stick to DE shaving and not return to cartridge or electric. From reviews it feels like the holy grail of razors, with the mildest of shaves suitable for the most sensitive of skins and yet still producing a close shave. It is pricey, so I hope I won't regret this. Haha
biloxee
post May 1 2017, 06:18 PM

On my way
561 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 30 2017, 08:57 PM)
To be honest I got the AS-D2 on the basis that I will stick to DE shaving and not return to cartridge or electric. From reviews it feels like the holy grail of razors, with the mildest of shaves suitable for the most sensitive of skins and yet still producing a close shave. It is pricey, so I hope I won't regret this. Haha
I normally receive my USPS parcels in 8-10days if there are no problems with Customs.

But since your razor + shipping will exceed RM500 and I don't think Massdrop will under declare the value, you'd probably want to prepare the necessary documents beforehand so you can clear it quickly if it gets detained since you're leaving for HK.

It's a good razor. Don't worry. Don't regret. Save some per diem for your next razor. It's not a wife/gf, you're allowed more than 1 at the same time... wink.gif

QuickFire
post May 1 2017, 10:24 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ May 1 2017, 06:18 PM)
I normally receive my USPS parcels in 8-10days if there are no problems with Customs.

But since your razor + shipping will exceed RM500 and I don't think Massdrop will under declare the value, you'd probably want to prepare the necessary documents beforehand so you can clear it quickly if it gets detained since you're leaving for HK.

It's a good razor. Don't worry. Don't regret. Save some per diem for your next razor. It's not a wife/gf, you're allowed more than 1 at the same time... wink.gif
Massdrop will never under declare of course, but they ship using DHL global mail instead of Express so there is a higher chance that it will bypass customs inspection. I previously ordered a pair of shoes from Massdrop as well for around RM 1,300+ and customs didn't hold it. If it's under the express courier however then it will almost certainly be held.

I'm not even thinking of another razor. Haven't even started this one yet!

You know people always say safety razors save you money in the long run. While it's true on paper (if you don't spend USD 150 on one single razor!), like most finer things in life once you've got the bug there will be a steady outflow of cash from your wallet - different razors, blades, soaps, aftershaves, etc.
CyrusWong
post May 1 2017, 10:28 PM

Regular
1,626 posts

I dont understand this shaver thing.

i see shpoping like giant or tesco got sell the old school blade, but they no sell the "batang" (handler?)

really cannot understand.

33 Pages « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0317sec    0.16    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:56 PM