Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to calculate CGPA?

views

TSM&Ms
post Feb 24 2011, 12:05 AM, updated 14y ago

9 posts

My uni only gives us course weighted average. How do I know what is my CGPA and which class am I in?
kahjye
post Feb 24 2011, 12:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,453 posts

Add all subject CGPA then divide it by 4 , for stpm and 4 subjects takers.
DarkForXe
post Feb 24 2011, 12:09 AM

Enthusiast
747 posts

QUOTE(M&Ms @ Feb 24 2011, 12:05 AM)
My uni only gives us course weighted average. How do I know what is my CGPA and which class am I in?
UK system? or what?
TSM&Ms
post Feb 24 2011, 12:11 AM

9 posts

Aussie system. They don't give CGPA points. All they give is the marks we get for each paper.
azarimy
post Feb 24 2011, 12:13 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(M&Ms @ Feb 23 2011, 04:05 PM)
each subject has credit hours attached to it. so take the grades (converted into points), multiply with the credit hours, add them all up with other subjects, then divide by the number of subjects taken.

(points for subject A x credit hours) + (points for subject B x credit hours) + (the rest of the subjects)

(number of subjects taken)

This post has been edited by azarimy: Feb 24 2011, 12:14 AM
DarkForXe
post Feb 24 2011, 12:13 AM

Enthusiast
747 posts

First Class Honours (80-100%) excellent standard; Second Class Division 1 (75-79%) high standard; Second Class Division 2 (70-74%) good standard; Third Class (65-69%) satisfactory standard; and a honours degree is not awarded (0-64%) unsatisfactory or fail.

But still, you should refer to your uni website to confirm.
Hikari0307
post Feb 24 2011, 08:56 AM

平成の光
4,541 posts

QUOTE(M&Ms @ Feb 24 2011, 12:05 AM)
Which uni is that. Most universities will have the formula to calculate on their website. You need to know the value of each of your grades and the credit hours.
There are some Universities in Aussie that only use WAM and doesn't use CGPA however. If they use you have to know they use a GPA scale of 4 or 7.
TSM&Ms
post Feb 24 2011, 09:26 PM

9 posts

My uni is Curtin University. On the transcript I get the credit hours, my marks (over 100%) and the grade. I want to see how much I get for CGPA because some jobs have requirements stating at least 2nd upper class or something like that. Thanks everyone for the replies!
thenemesis
post Feb 24 2011, 09:54 PM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Aug 16 2007, 11:36 PM)
what is this guide about?

this guide is written to assist university or college students to understand more about the grading system at tertiery education level. students are often trapped under the pretense that once they've failed, their grades can never go up again. this is fairly untrue in most of the cases. however it is important to note that not all tertiery education system follows the same CGPA system. what i've tabled out below are applicable to local IPTAs, several IPTSs and most UK based universities.

what is CGPA?

ultimately, CGPA is where everything boils down to in ur studies. it stands for Cummulative Grade Point Average, hence CGPA, which is an accumulation of all ur grade points divided to every single credit u take. CGPA is also the determining factor of whether u get to graduate with 1st class, 2nd class upper, 2nd class lower or 3rd class. however, the minimum point for each class differs from university to university. UTM for example classifies 1st class as 3.70 and above and 2nd class upper from 3.00 to 3.69. MMU on the other hand classifies 2nd class upper from 3.30 to 3.69.

what is calculated?

CGPA is calculated based on all subjects that u take. each subjects usually comes with a credit value. some less important subjects carry between 1 to 2 credits, more important ones carry 3 to 4, and the core subjects can carry between 5 to 8 credits each. also, there are subjects categorized as "compulsory attendance only" (hadir wajib sahaja) which usually carry 0 credits. these subjects hold no value, but failing it (due to poor attendance or whatever) will still hold u down from graduating successfully.

how is it calculated?

for each subject that u've successfully taken, a grade will be issued after the final exam. these grades each carry a specific point value. typically, A carries 4.00, B carries 3.00 and C carries 2.00. each of these points will be calculated based on the credit rating of each subject, and later summed up to give u ur GPA for that particular semester. for example:

semester 1

subject M (6 credits): B = 3.00
subject N (2 credits): A = 4.00
subject O (3 credits): C = 2.00

(6 x 3.00) + (2 x 4.00) + (3 x 2.00) = 32 total grade point for 11 credits. hence, your GPA for semester 1 is:

32 / 11 = 2.91 GPA for sem 1. since this is ur first semester, ur GPA is also ur CGPA.

semester 2

subject P (6 credits): A = 4.00
subject Q (3 credits): B = 3.00
subject R (3 credits): E = 0.00 (FAIL)
subject S (2 credits): B = 3.00

(6 x 4.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 0.00) + (2 x 3.00) = 39 total grade point for 14 credits. hence your GPA for semester 2 is:

39 / 14 = 2.79 GPA for sem 2

now that this is ur second semester, ur CGPA will be calculated by combining the two. however, a direct average is wrong.  CGPA is calculated NOT based on the average of GPAs per semester, but based on grade points per credit that u take. to calculate ur CGPA based on the two semesters above:

[(total grade point for sem 1) + (total grade point for sem 2)] / total credit taken in all semesters

[(32) + (39)] / (11 + 14) = 2.84 CGPA

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

now, let's try the next semester where u retake the failed subject:

semester 3

subject R (3 credits): A = 4.00 (REPEATED SUBJECT)
subject T (3 credits): B = 3.00
subject U (3 credits): B = 3.00
subject V (3 credits): B = 3.00

(3 x 4.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 3.00) = 39 total grade point for 12 credits. hence your GPA for semester 3 is:

39 / 12 = 3.25 GPA.

now, how do u calculate ur CGPA when u have a repeated subject? here's the main rule: u recalculate the repeated subject by replacing the old grade with the new one. it means, in ur CGPA calculation, u never failed ur subject R, u actually scored A! lets see what it looks like:

[(grade points for sem 1) + (grade points for sem 2 excluding the failed subject) + (grade points for sem 3)] / [(credit for sem 1) + (credit for sem 2 excluding the failed subject) + (credit for sem 3)]

[(32) + (39 - 0) + (39)] / [(11) + (14 - 3) + (12)] =  110 / 34 = 3.24 CGPA!

a lot of students made the mistake of including the failed subject into the calculation despite having repeated it. here's what the wrong calculation usually looks like:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

implications

wrong calculations would lead to students being afraid to fail, simply bcoz the impression that failed subjects would drag the CGPA even further down. this is wrong. repeating the failed subject replaces the old grades. in ur CGPA, it is as if u've never failed before. most students would simply accept a C- or D+, which is usually the minimum passing rate, in hope that they dont have to ever repeat the subject, and hopefully score more subjects in time.

thing is, once u've got a D+/C-, it's very hard to catch up and drag ur pointers up. i strongly advise students whom ultimately concerned for their grades to DARE to fail and repeat it again. ofcourse, certain subjects are big enough that repeating means u have to extend another semester. well, if it means graduating between a 2nd class lower and a 2nd class upper, why not? 

good luck! thumbup.gif
Hikari0307
post Feb 24 2011, 10:00 PM

平成の光
4,541 posts

QUOTE(M&Ms @ Feb 24 2011, 09:26 PM)
My uni is Curtin University. On the transcript I get the credit hours, my marks (over 100%) and the grade. I want to see how much I get for CGPA because some jobs have requirements stating at least 2nd upper class or something like that. Thanks everyone for the replies!
you should be well aware by now that Aussie's system doesn't award Honours to Degrees which are three years in lenght don't you?

Grade Point Average (GPA)
Curtin University does not use or calculate a Grade Point Average (GPA).
However, under the Curtin University Grading system, a CWA of 0.00 is the minimum, a CWA of 50.00 is the mid-point and a CWA of 100.00 is the maximum, and this scale may be used to calculate an equivalent GPA.
http://policies.curtin.edu.au/draftpolicies/draft_aspm.pdf
Though this thing here from Curtin Sarawak might help.
http://www.curtin.edu.my/scholarship/gpa_cgpa.htm
TSM&Ms
post Feb 25 2011, 03:15 PM

9 posts

Yea I'm aware that I don't have an honours degree. But if I apply those jobs that require at least 2nd upper class in degree, would the employers take me into consideration?

And if I don't have an honours degree, it means my degree is not under the 1st class or 2nd class ranking system?
Hikari0307
post Feb 25 2011, 03:27 PM

平成の光
4,541 posts

QUOTE(M&Ms @ Feb 25 2011, 03:15 PM)
Yea I'm aware that I don't have an honours degree. But if I apply those jobs that require at least 2nd upper class in degree, would the employers take me into consideration?

And if I don't have an honours degree, it means my degree is not under the 1st class or 2nd class ranking system?
What field is it for?
First Class,Second Class upper,Second Class lower and third class are all classification of an Honours Degree. If your degree is not an Honours degree than it isn't classified using that system.
Most HR departments in Malaysia would understand that Aussie's three year Degrees don't come with Honours.
A second class upper is probably around the areas of a high credit average.
Use this as a guide to see if your WAM is around the CGPA that usually would get somebody a second class upper
http://www.curtin.edu.my/scholarship/gpa_cgpa.htm
TSM&Ms
post Feb 25 2011, 10:34 PM

9 posts

Accounting/Finance field.
Oh.......so the HRs will most probably look at my course weighted average and decide whether to interview me or not..
I've checked the website you gave previously, and calculated based on my results, but I dont know which class am I in..haha
Sorry for all the questions and problems caused to you!
and thanks a lot smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.08    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:30 AM