Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cant Format "The disk is write protected", Help Me..

views

TSCapo
post Feb 11 2011, 08:32 AM, updated 14y ago

10 posts

Hi friends !

I have a problem in my Flash Disk. When I plug it in the USB port, my PC detects it and I can see removable disk (G:) in My Computer. When I double click and open the disk, I can open it normally. BUT...

1. When I try to delete any file from Flash Disk, I can't delete any file. I receive the following error message...

Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete <filename>: The disk is write-protected.
Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

2. When I try to copy a file from Hard Disk to Flash Disk, I can't copy. I receive the following error message...

Error Copying File or Folder
Cannot Copy <filename>: The disk is write-protected.
Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

3. When I try to format the disk from Windows Graphical Mode by right click--->Format, I receive the message...

The disk is write-protected.

4. When I use Command Prompt and give this command ---->Format G:, I receive the following message...

Insert new disk for drive G:
and press ENTER when ready...
(when I press ENTER, I receive the second message...)
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Verifying 491M.
Cannot format. The volume is write-protected.

5. When I scanned the Flash Disk with Kaspersky 2010 it detected some viruses and threats, and suggested me to delete the files. When I chose the option to delete them, Kaspersky couldn't delete them and gave the following message...

The Volume is write-protected.

Note that: I don't think that the Flash Disk is corrupted because it is detected by the OS and showing 7056 MB capacity. The file system on Flash Disk is also identified by OS as FAT32. When I copy one file From Flash Disk--->To Hard Disk, I can copy it. So I am quite sure that Flash is OK.

Also Note that I have not protected my Flash Disk by any Locking Utility. Previously I was able to open it and to copy/delete files on it

Aslo NOTE : I try many utilities software to format my pendrive.. Only pendrive adata 8GB, Kingmax and Trancend can format (only have this pendrive).. But for my kingston 4GB cant format... in this pendrive have S1.exe. All antivirus i already try but still can't del this virus.

Please help me in this regard. Waiting for your valuable suggestion...

This post has been edited by Capo: Feb 11 2011, 08:39 AM
TSCapo
post Feb 11 2011, 09:02 AM

10 posts

all my pendrive dont have any protected button..

1 - adata pendrive 8 GB - show at my computer " Removeble Disk"
when i click show this message " No disk in drive F'
used this management format option is freeze
data is 0
but for this pendrive problem solve.

2. adata pendrive 8 GB - when i try format show this message "the disk is write protected"
used this management format show this message "the disk is write protected"
using CMD also same message
using low level format also same message
using hp format tool also same message
have a virus silly32.exe

3. Trancend 8Gb pendrive - same problem with no 2

All 3 pendrive problem solve using stick recovery tool. if anyone get the problem can try using this software. Very2 usefull..

Only for my kingston 4GB.. this pendrive i cant solve.. have S1.exe virus... can copy data to my hard drive. but can copy data to my pendrive. also cant format it. when using stick recovery tool device not found please insert device..

Added on February 11, 2011, 9:05 am
QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Feb 11 2011, 09:57 AM)
1. Disable autorun on the pendrive.
2. Delete the S1.exe if cant delete then download HijackThis from my signature and delete the virus using that program.
3. Format pendrive.

Alternatively, u can try to boot into MSDOS to format, or boot into Safe Mode probably can also
thanks for your sugesstion.. already try all this kind. still have a same problem. using mcshield. also cant delete this virus. hijackthis also cant remove the autorun and the virus.

Added on February 11, 2011, 9:07 am
QUOTE(FirezZ @ Feb 11 2011, 09:51 AM)
last time i got mine such similar issue.. due to faulty pendrive... so the folder still exists there untouched...
should be faulty as for the time being.. but i am nt sure about it.. waiting for more comments from sifus here )
if u still have the pendrive try using super stick recovering tool by kingmax.. can help solve this problem.. but i try for my kingston pendrive the problem cant solve..

Added on February 11, 2011, 9:11 am
QUOTE(HazByn @ Feb 11 2011, 09:56 AM)
you got any linux box running? just run

# mkfs.vfat dev/sdb1

*sdb1 is your pendrive and it could be sdc1
already try linux OS. fedora, red hat and BT3 and BT4.. problem still cant solve... i try KAMIKAZE experiment copy S1.exe virus to HDD 10 GB.. my hdd cant format too.. Hahaha..

This post has been edited by Capo: Feb 11 2011, 09:11 AM
TSCapo
post Feb 27 2011, 03:37 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(simworld @ Feb 21 2011, 09:21 AM)
try it.. but still cant solve the problem...

Added on February 27, 2011, 3:39 am
QUOTE(saturn85 @ Feb 21 2011, 04:35 AM)
usb connection loose? unsure.gif
usb all funtion.. can copy data from PC to pendrive. Pendrive to PC. but cant delete data from pendrive n cant format.

warranty Lifetime from Kingston. Just want to try how to solve this problem.

Added on February 27, 2011, 3:40 am
QUOTE(necrox77 @ Feb 20 2011, 10:12 PM)
hi there... i have the same problem with TS...

anyone knows how to claim the warranty (mine dt101 g2) with 5 years warranty...
what brand your pendrive? some pendrive can solve this problem.. i know to solve it.

This post has been edited by Capo: Feb 27 2011, 03:40 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.25    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:18 AM