37 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Excessive Data Usage MAXIS BillShock(tm), How to complain and win

views

Stephenkhoo
post Jan 19 2011, 09:54 AM

Getting Started
74 posts

just a ppl who sharing the success experience to deal with the bill-shock problem... try to make it as simple thinking, sharing experience only....
y3ivan
post Jan 19 2011, 11:15 AM

On my way
502 posts

I think, we better have a comparison tread between both operators plans. including all the fine print T&C. Its an easy way to educate ppl which operator suits them. I really dislike telco telling me all the benefits but not warning about the disadvantage especially signin up with contracts. I know marketing department sometimes misinform or dishonest towards customers.

my family have been using maxis for nearly 10 years, they provide good service and great rates, but once it comes to contracts or data charges, they tend to not letting u know before hand.
deodorant
post Jan 20 2011, 05:29 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

QUOTE(Matrix @ Jan 19 2011, 09:44 AM)
Good info and suggestion. But MAXIS could do a better job by simply send out an SMS when user's quota is about to reach as shown can be done in some backwater country telco...

if you go to the Maxis facebook page, some of the threads there the Maxis CS guys have actually said that Maxis supposedly already has implemented this (which, if the case, then the system has serious flaws because I certainly didn't get any sms for my december shock bill).

after thinking some time, is there some way which we can pressure maxis to quickly implement this sms? it would then be a supremely fair solution. users would know for sure when to turn off their cellular data (or turn down their usage), and maxis would still be able to charge their out-of-package rm10/mb charges because, well, they've already warned us.

Added on January 20, 2011, 5:30 pm
QUOTE(samlee860407 @ Jan 20 2011, 07:38 AM)
you can't check besides seeing the  usage inside your phone

iphone data counter is flawed though. not only maxis, on all my other networks also the iphone counter shows 10% less.

(i.e., my 200mb data package expires when my iphone shows 180mb used).

This post has been edited by deodorant: Jan 20 2011, 05:30 PM
aneng83
post Jan 25 2011, 08:58 PM

2 posts

thank u very much for your lhelp..i will try to get the refund...so nonsense...im not using any internet since my phone is very oldskool...3310 nokia...
chongkiatz
post Jan 26 2011, 01:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,039 posts

It's maxis fault that didnt actually NOTICE user about the 1st month billing cycle, but sometime, user must do some homework too, lucky i did follow up lowyat iphone thread and knowing that maxis 1st month cycle is not consider a full month which is 31 day, and alot of my fren save for the 1st month, if not i would be 1 of the victim of shockbill, please explain and share the experiece to ur fren, help them, not to bashing the telco without knowing their progress
AsuKi
post Jan 26 2011, 10:57 AM

♥C.S.I♥
1,140 posts

just now ask maxis tech depart check the detail my usage sweat.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by AsuKi: Jan 26 2011, 10:58 AM
maderfader
post Jan 26 2011, 12:30 PM

Getting Started
228 posts

QUOTE(AsuKi @ Jan 26 2011, 10:57 AM)
just now ask maxis tech depart check the detail my usage  sweat.gif

i'm sorry for what happened to you..but just want to help u to understand on how maxis calculated your bill(data usage);

a) it's safe to say that u're on ivalue1 = 1GB free data
b) 1GB = exactly 1,048,576 KB, and rate charge is at RM0.05/10 KB
c) so (1,160,950 KB X RM 0.05)/10 KB = RM 5,804.75@.80 (same with your bill)
d) rebate 1GB = (1,048,576 KB X RM 0.05)/10 KB = 5,242.88@.93(don't know how it rounds up)
e) 1,160,950 KB - 1,048,576 KB = 112,374 KB
f) (112,374 KB X RM 0.05)/10 KB = RM 561.87(net after rebate for data usage)

I suggest u ask maxis the breakdown of your usage(if they can)..if they CAN give it to u,then u should go to those specific apps in your iphone and disable any push@notification@location service@etc..if they CAN"T give it to u,then u should disable any push@notification@location service@etc on EVERY APPS..n of course,in the future u should monitor your usage once week if not everyday.

Another thing is,i think that u download@watch youtube video too much, or u view pictures A LOT..those things are the largest contributor of data usage..should be more careful next time. u should also have the habit to close any background-running apps..u can delete this using the multitasking feature(just like deleting apps)

Otherwise,u can lodge a complaint just to see if they can ever waived all the excessive amounts(or just some of it)..u got nothing to lose anyway..means if they can waive,good for u n if they can't waive,u just have to pay.

This post has been edited by maderfader: Jan 26 2011, 12:33 PM
AsuKi
post Jan 26 2011, 12:39 PM

♥C.S.I♥
1,140 posts

QUOTE(maderfader @ Jan 26 2011, 12:30 PM)
i'm sorry for what happened to you..but just want to help u to understand on how maxis calculated your bill(data usage);

a) it's safe to say that u're on ivalue1 = 1GB free data
b) 1GB = exactly 1,048,576 KB, and rate charge is at RM0.05/10 KB
c) so (1,160,950 KB X RM 0.05)/10 KB = RM 5,804.75@.80 (same with your bill)
d) rebate 1GB = (1,048,576 KB X RM 0.05)/10 KB = 5,242.88@.93(don't know how it rounds up)
e) 1,160,950 KB - 1,048,576 KB = 112,374 KB
f) (112,374 KB X RM 0.05)/10 KB = RM 561.87(net after rebate for data usage)

I suggest u ask maxis the breakdown of your usage(if they can)..if they CAN give it to u,then u should go to those specific apps in your iphone and disable any push@notification@location service@etc..if they CAN"T give it to u,then u should disable any push@notification@location service@etc on EVERY APPS..n of course,in the future u should monitor your usage once week if not everyday.

Another thing is,i think that u download@watch youtube video too much, or u view pictures A LOT..those things are the largest contributor of data usage..should be more careful next time. u should also have the habit to close any background-running apps..u can delete this using the multitasking feature(just like deleting apps)

Otherwise,u can lodge a complaint just to see if they can ever waived all the excessive amounts(or just some of it)..u got nothing to lose anyway..means if they can waive,good for u n if they can't waive,u just have to pay.
manggg yeah i complete understand my usage but wondering 1gb+ just facebooking , twittering and afew apps dl using 3G hmmm freak. btw just call maxis and ask them to check detail about my data usage.
maderfader
post Jan 26 2011, 12:45 PM

Getting Started
228 posts

QUOTE(AsuKi @ Jan 26 2011, 12:39 PM)
manggg yeah i complete understand my usage but wondering 1gb+ just facebooking , twittering and afew apps dl using 3G hmmm freak. btw just call maxis and ask them to check detail about my data usage.
Ok,my bad n i'm sorry..i didn't mean to imply that u don't understand your bill,i posted it so that other forumers can also understand..let us know the outcome of your enquiry,ok??

This post has been edited by maderfader: Jan 26 2011, 12:46 PM
g3n0c1d3
post Jan 26 2011, 01:14 PM

hai hai... kazuma dayo....
6,493 posts

well...
im not to rant here but of all the things.. i guess i was also got the shock bill from maxis.

Just to inform u guys....
1. maxis does not have a monitoring system. they could only trace whats wrong after ur bill cycle is complete

2. Maxis charge u 1st then after the bill cycle they recalculate back (the free stuff u should have etc)

this was my experience.... just be extra careful and monitor ur charge all the times... if any strange charges, just call the maxis centre and ask.

borgun
post Jan 26 2011, 07:33 PM

Getting Started
215 posts

Hi guys.

I subscribe to 500mb plan. My data usage last month exceeded about 19mb. Luckily it was only 19mb, coz i ALWAYS check my unbill amount as i am very cautious about my spending. So, as many others did, i called maxis to find out why the hell didnt they send me an sms warning me that i was approaching my data limit. What they told me really made me feel f88ked up. Seems like SMS notification for customers reaching their data limit is only available for iValue plans!! I was like, what? I called in twice, on two different occasions, and both CS rep told the same, so this info is true indeed.

So, i do not understand, WHY? The fact that they CAN do it, and theyre PURPOSELY not doing it for non-iValue customers, simply concludes that they mmg wanna cekik darah, OR, as someone mentioned earlier, politely termed as business strategy (or sumtin like that).

SO.. i dont think we can do much to 'persuade' them to implement the system. What we can do on our side is to monitor the usage ourselves. I found an app called Data Usage in appstore, and its only 99cents. I think this app has been discussed elsewhere in this forum, so im not gonna talk abt it.

Or, on second thought, are there anything we can do to push maxis to implement notification system?
samlee860407
post Jan 27 2011, 01:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,624 posts

OK. Now I also face the problem, luckily it been solved (Was told will be waived in my next statement, but since it haven't happened yet, I will put it down 1st, just in case)

Ok, my case is like this:

I am a long time Maxis customer, My mum is the main line, I am the sub line. I subscribe to the Maxis RM99 unlimited plan long time ago when I first get my Iphone3g. After sometime, I notice my monthly usage is less than 500mb, so I call up and cancel it, and change to the 500mb plan (RM68 per month I think)

During sometime in November 2010, I and my mum went to the maxis center in Seberang Prai, and change name, so that I am the owner of the account.

At December 26th, I go and purchase my iphone4, and subscribe the ivalue1 plan.

My billing cycle is 24th to 23rd every month.

For the December statement, I notice something is wrong, since I was charged RM250 for the data, and I am not charged for the RM68 500mb plan. At that point of time, I am pretty busy and seems totally forget about it. My CC auto pay the bill, so well.

Today I receive the January statement. Again, my bill is close to RM400, and again, I was charge the maximum RM250 for data!

I checked, my total data usage is 590MB (very similar to what shows in my phone). I am shouting bullsh*t, now this happens to me in the end.

I called up them at 12.45PM today (27th January), tell the CS everything, and she told me that my account is very new (since change name is considered as new account already). I also asked her to trace back, I did always subscribe the RM68 500mb plan. She told me that in my history, I sign up and deactivate the 500mb plan on the same day.

How can that happened??!!

She also promised that she will check back my status, and will call me back before 4PM today. SHe also tell me that she can sent me my GPRS usage (by POS). I say OK.

And really great job by Maxis is, she called me at 1.25PM, and say it's their fault as the CS who help me change name did the wrong thing by auto canceling my 500mb plan. They will waived the RM250 on my next statement.

Now, I just need to wait for my next statement and see what happens.

I also asked them to check my December statement and lets see, what will happened then.

At around 4pm , the CS call me up, telling me to go back to the Maxis center to resolve this case. They are unable to waive the RM250 as they promised now! They ask me to questioned the maxis center where i change the account name on why they did not advice me that my data plan will be waive.

OK , well, so I went to the maxis center at Prai on 1st of February. After waiting for more than an hour, and telling them the case, the CS tell me she had to submit this to her manager. She told me that it will take around 10 working days, and she will call me to update it. The final date she gave me is by 14th of February, she will call me and update it.

However, until 15th of February, I receive no calls from them. Hence, again, I went all the way from Sungai Petani to Prai again (wasting petrol and tol) on 16th of February. I was told that their manager haven't reply to this case after so long. This time, they told me to wait for 3 days and again they will call me. I asked them what if nobody call and update me like last time? The staff told me that they will definitely call me, and if she din't , I don't need to come again, just call 123 will do.

As of 19th February, as you can guess, nobody bother to call.

I called up 123 this time, and I was told, yes , the data had been waived. RM384 had been credit back to my account. OK,good, what a relieve! But I still won't be happy UNTIL I RECEIVE THE GOD DAMNED BILL AND SAW IT WAS WAIVE AND my money won't be simply minus from my credit card like what Matrix face.

Before that, I won't be happy.

This post has been edited by samlee860407: Feb 19 2011, 11:47 AM
Stephenkhoo
post Jan 27 2011, 02:13 PM

Getting Started
74 posts

before this i have asked the Maxis pavillion fellow, he told me that even the sms notification to us, also when already exceed the limit quite a lot, not near the limit!! i heard also dont know what to comment...

for example, my limit is RM 200, it may reach RM 280++ just sms inform me... -,-!!!!
y3ivan
post Jan 28 2011, 01:24 PM

On my way
502 posts

just to be safe, this are the things to do:

1. set your credit limit at low as possible ivalue 100 (RM400 Credit limit by Matrix)
2. allow 20% of your data plan reserved. usually the data calculated from the phone and operator differ. And do not wait till Maxis Msg to inform u.
3. conserved your data plan. public always thinks that 1gb is alot, practical it is not.
Polytechnic
post Jan 29 2011, 03:12 AM

Getting Started
143 posts

Wrong

Even you set your credit limit to lowest 100 also no use , it is only for calling not DATA

just to inform you guys 1gb is 1024 mb

Maxis calculated only 950 MB not 1024

for 2GB is 2048 and they calculated only 1875

Happened to me last monday.
dgtel2
post Jan 29 2011, 08:41 AM

Enthusiast
966 posts

Fraud case is happening here. How can they change the international standard of data units without informing the customer. This is weird. Hopefully the other telcos dont implement such nonsense.
gamefreakz
post Jan 29 2011, 03:50 PM

1 posts

Thank GOD my credit limit is RM200.
At least im quite sure that im not gonna get billshock..biggrin.gif
borgun
post Jan 29 2011, 07:01 PM

Getting Started
215 posts

QUOTE(Polytechnic @ Jan 29 2011, 03:12 AM)
Wrong

Even you set your credit limit to lowest 100 also no use , it is only for calling not DATA

just to inform you guys 1gb is 1024 mb

Maxis calculated only 950 MB not 1024

for 2GB is 2048 and they calculated only 1875

Happened to me last monday.
Im sorry but i think u're wrong.
credit limit DOES include data.
once u exceed ur subscribed capacity (ie. 500mb/1.5GB), OR if u dont have a data plan, ur unbilled amount will include data as well.
as far as i'm concerned, this works with maxis (coz it happened to me a few times)/
I subscribe to value 50 with 500mb data. I set my credit limit to 100. so far, it has saved me from shocking bills. the only shocking thing to happen is when suddenly maxis bar my line because i exceed the limit.
chongkiatz
post Jan 30 2011, 11:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,039 posts

credit limit is for ur call / sms / mms only , doesn't include ur DATA
xxboxx
post Jan 31 2011, 12:35 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

QUOTE(Matrix @ Jan 17 2011, 02:29 PM)

haha, good fight. rclxms.gif
i have been using Maxis for almost 10 years, with the same number. and recently as i'm using less of call for this number, i changed to the lowest package of RM30 per month. what Maxis do? they increase my credit limit from RM300 to RM1K! shocking.gif

and now? i switched to the dark side and joined Digi. laugh.gif Maxis dragged my changed to Digi for more than a week..

37 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0344sec    0.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:57 AM