Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

A-level fees

views

TSmumu93
post Jan 14 2011, 12:43 PM, updated 14y ago

49 posts

I've been looking around for some infos on the fees. but , i could only find for taylor's and KDU. which revolves around 24~32k.

Money matters to me so , i wanna know the a-level fees for other colleges. Your help is much appreciated smile.gif
TSmumu93
post Jan 14 2011, 07:37 PM

49 posts

Thanks so much for all the infos! =D MCKL and TARC seems reasonable. hope i'll get good grades for my spm. The scholarships will make it less of a burden. Does anyone know the fees for KBU? =O

My budget's around 10~25k. =( best if i dont spend for my pre-u that much.
TSmumu93
post Jan 14 2011, 11:59 PM

49 posts

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 14 2011, 10:15 PM)
Taylor's advertises a lot, and a lot of expenditure goes to promotion, both within the country and abroad.

The fact that it has a long history and many students allows it to (truthfully) boast about results and achievements - the number of students with respective numbers of As etc. However, be careful when you see the "offered places in prestigious universities" statistics, because a student can be offered up to 5 (and in the past up to 6) places from a British universities alone, and an unlimited number from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, the United States, Ireland, and the rest of the world as a whole.

For all intents and purposes, Taylor's is a school like any other - unless you attended school and sat for A levels at more than one of these colleges, you won't be able to decide which is better. Go for whichever suits your needs best - ease of transport, accessibility, environment, finances etc. Teachers good and bad are found everywhere, and you don't get to handpick them anyway. People get A*s and Es everywhere.
Couldnt agree more smile.gif hence, im trying to find a college that has the most reasonable fees and has easy access from the area i live in.
TSmumu93
post Jan 21 2011, 11:30 PM

49 posts

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 21 2011, 05:10 PM)
If no money, do STPM. It's free and as widely recognized as A Level in countries like UK and Australia. In fact for some country like Singapore, they look more highly on STPM than A Level.
I know it depends on the unis that im applying to but is STPM really treated equally compared to A-levels in the UK?

Its not about not having money. I'd prefer to spend less for my pre-u programme as it is just an entry requirement.

This post has been edited by mumu93: Jan 21 2011, 11:31 PM
TSmumu93
post Jan 22 2011, 02:46 AM

49 posts

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 22 2011, 01:09 AM)
We can't say with any certainty how fairly STPM is treated compared to A levels in Britain. But what is obvious is that if SPM is deemed considerable to GCSE/IGCSE/O level, and STPM is listed among their (most universities) acceptable qualifications, and they accept A levels from across all exam boards, and they accept students from other countries/places (Scotland i.e. Scottish Highers, Ireland, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, Scandinavia, Africa etc) with their own unique pre-university/6th form examinations, then they will graciously accept STPM students as long as they are good enough in their opinion.
QUOTE(kaiserreich @ Jan 22 2011, 01:12 AM)
I had a friend doing STPM who got accepted to do economics in LSE. If LSE can accept STPM, why can't most British universities?
Thanks guys! =) I'll try to find more infos about it.
TSmumu93
post Jan 24 2011, 11:09 PM

49 posts

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 24 2011, 08:07 AM)
It has since changed, A=120 not 140, and B=100. BBB is now 300 points. Certain boards (i.e. CIE) have made it easier to score B or better and A or better after introducing A* so the tariffs reflect that accurately, though the tariffs are imprecise in general for mostly everything.

Yes, I am aware of the recent actions taken by the government and the proposed plans that are set to be implemented after Jan 2011... it's unfortunate.

I just think (however dire your situation) that a string of As aren't always needed. Yes, most people have to slug it out in offices like some of us do, and yes, graduate schemes are hiring freshers so A level results still matter to them, and they filter candidates with certain minimum scores. If they use a 340 points filter, then A*AC, A*BB, A*AEE, A*BDE, A*CCE, AAB, AADE, ABCE, ABDD, BCCC etc would've been enough.

Added on January 24, 2011, 9:51 amTo those who question A levels and the differences between exam boards, this is what CIE says to the question "What is the difference between CIE and OCR GCE AS/A levels":

< The level is the same, as CIE's qualifications are aligned with OCR (our sister organisation and a leading UK exam board). However, there are a few key differences:

Cambridge International A Levels are specifically designed to suit the needs of an international student body.
      Contexts or examples used in Cambridge syllabuses and question papers are culturally sensitive in an international context.
      In some cases, CIE has developed country specific variants to meet local needs, for example in Brunei CIE developed a suite of Religious Studies Cambridge International A Levels focusing on Islam and the Quran.
      Cambridge International A Level is used as the national qualification in a number of countries, for example Mauritius and Brunei.
      There is a much wider range of subjects available at Cambridge International A Level, for example the wide range of languages offered.

The UCAS UK Qualifications Handbook Entry for Cambridge International A and AS Levels states that they are acceptable at grades A* to E in lieu of UK GCE A and AS Level on a subject-­for-­subject and grade-­for-­grade basis.

It should be noted that Cambridge International A Levels are different in structure from UK A Levels. Whereas UK A and AS Levels are modular and students can retake individual components, the Cambridge International A Levels have a linear structure which encourages a more integrated study of the entire subject. Most students take all their Cambridge International A Level papers in one series. Students who take Cambridge International AS Level first and then want to retake it must generally take the whole of the Cambridge International AS Level. >

So yeah, basically the British (and overseas) schools have come to accept CIE's or Edexcel's A levels (or O levels or GCSEs or IGCSEs) as the same as those taken in the UK (even if they may be harder). All that matters is you do it and do it well.
I've been trying to find the in-depth difference between the two boards since i was contemplating on which to choose. You made my work easier smile.gif Thanks so much!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0175sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:04 PM