Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> A-level fees

mumu93
post Jan 14 2011, 12:43 PM

Group: Junior Member

I've been looking around for some infos on the fees. but , i could only find for taylor's and KDU. which revolves around 24~32k.

Money matters to me so , i wanna know the a-level fees for other colleges. Your help is much appreciated smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HaoYuan
post Jan 14 2011, 12:48 PM

Kai Qi Baby
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(mumu93 @ Jan 14 2011, 12:43 PM)
I've been looking around for some infos on the fees. but , i could only find for taylor's and KDU. which revolves around 24~32k.

Money matters to me so , i wanna know the a-level fees for other colleges. Your help is much appreciated smile.gif
I KNOW SUNWAY COLLEGE AROUND 20 - 22K, OK FOR U?

IF U WANT CHEAP, THEN GO UTAR LOH, MUCH MORE CHEAPER I THINK
+Quote Post
DireAnguish5678
post Jan 14 2011, 01:05 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(HaoYuan @ Jan 14 2011, 12:48 PM)
I KNOW SUNWAY COLLEGE AROUND 20 - 22K, OK FOR U?

IF U WANT CHEAP, THEN GO UTAR LOH, MUCH MORE CHEAPER I THINK
TS, please search before starting a new thread, there have already been many posts about A Levels fees.

Taylor's is 33k. Yea I think Sunway, Help and KDU all about the same not sure. Segi is cheaper. Cempaka Cheras is also cheaper, it's only 20k.
You should seriously check InstitutMentari and President College, their fees are under 10k. Like between 5k to 8k.
+Quote Post
lonely_dream
post Jan 14 2011, 02:15 PM

On my way

TARC is the cheapest , below Rm15k
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 14 2011, 02:26 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials
Group: Probationary Moderator

Taylor's A levels can go up to 36k.

+Quote Post
andyleong193
post Jan 14 2011, 03:39 PM

Getting Started

Taylors A-levels can be quite expensive . Remember the amount shown are only for the tuition fees only , they exclude makan , lodging , books , travel , lab coats and more !

Btw TARC might be a good choice .
+Quote Post
Knight_2008
post Jan 14 2011, 04:49 PM

Regular

my friend who studies a-levels in TARC always complained that the lecturer quality is just so so.. according to them, the lecturers there are way too young (fresh grad) and inexperience.
+Quote Post
SNSD_4ever
post Jan 14 2011, 05:10 PM

Group: New Member

Yes TARC is cheapest...but i would recommend MCKL...it's cheaper compared to Taylors or so on and so forth...
and they offer full scholarships...easy to get as well.... biggrin.gif
you should at least tell us your budget wink.gif
+Quote Post
SihamZhai
post Jan 14 2011, 06:58 PM

Green Droid Lover

MCKL has increased their fees from when I was there. its now nearing 20k for science, from what I heard
+Quote Post
mumu93
post Jan 14 2011, 07:37 PM

Thanks so much for all the infos! =D MCKL and TARC seems reasonable. hope i'll get good grades for my spm. The scholarships will make it less of a burden. Does anyone know the fees for KBU? =O

My budget's around 10~25k. =( best if i dont spend for my pre-u that much.
+Quote Post
Jason3399
post Jan 14 2011, 07:47 PM

018 - 7883333 / 019 - 7883333

Taylor is famous for its A-levels and i dont know why wacko.gif My friend went for it. RM32K
+Quote Post
DavidWKW
post Jan 14 2011, 07:54 PM

Love.Joy.Peace

QUOTE(mumu93 @ Jan 14 2011, 07:37 PM)
Thanks so much for all the infos! =D MCKL and TARC seems reasonable. hope i'll get good grades for my spm. The scholarships will make it less of a burden. Does anyone know the fees for KBU? =O

My budget's around 10~25k. =( best if i dont spend for my pre-u that much.
As a reminder, you need to pass all your subjects and maintain an average mark of 60 for important exams to retain your scholarship.

Btw, the lecturer are quite good for me! ^^
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 14 2011, 10:15 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

Taylor's advertises a lot, and a lot of expenditure goes to promotion, both within the country and abroad.

The fact that it has a long history and many students allows it to (truthfully) boast about results and achievements - the number of students with respective numbers of As etc. However, be careful when you see the "offered places in prestigious universities" statistics, because a student can be offered up to 5 (and in the past up to 6) places from a British universities alone, and an unlimited number from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, the United States, Ireland, and the rest of the world as a whole.

For all intents and purposes, Taylor's is a school like any other - unless you attended school and sat for A levels at more than one of these colleges, you won't be able to decide which is better. Go for whichever suits your needs best - ease of transport, accessibility, environment, finances etc. Teachers good and bad are found everywhere, and you don't get to handpick them anyway. People get A*s and Es everywhere.
+Quote Post
fastreader
post Jan 14 2011, 11:56 PM

i tink its in the range of 10k to 15k...
+Quote Post
mumu93
post Jan 14 2011, 11:59 PM

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 14 2011, 10:15 PM)
Taylor's advertises a lot, and a lot of expenditure goes to promotion, both within the country and abroad.

The fact that it has a long history and many students allows it to (truthfully) boast about results and achievements - the number of students with respective numbers of As etc. However, be careful when you see the "offered places in prestigious universities" statistics, because a student can be offered up to 5 (and in the past up to 6) places from a British universities alone, and an unlimited number from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, the United States, Ireland, and the rest of the world as a whole.

For all intents and purposes, Taylor's is a school like any other - unless you attended school and sat for A levels at more than one of these colleges, you won't be able to decide which is better. Go for whichever suits your needs best - ease of transport, accessibility, environment, finances etc. Teachers good and bad are found everywhere, and you don't get to handpick them anyway. People get A*s and Es everywhere.
Couldnt agree more smile.gif hence, im trying to find a college that has the most reasonable fees and has easy access from the area i live in.
+Quote Post
Knight_2008
post Jan 15 2011, 12:05 AM

Regular

consider kyuem.. it's one of the most famous a levels provider.. many of their student end up in top Uni all around the world
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 15 2011, 12:17 AM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

This argument - that a particular school's or group of schools' students end up in top universities later on - is used often. Have no illusions - nearly all schools forward their applications through agencies/companies/intermediaries in Malaysia (ever heard of British Council, MABECS, IDP?) because it's straightforward and easy. It's impossible to know what sentiments foreign universities have towards particular Malaysian schools. "Reputation" simply does not come into play. "Connections" guarantee a small number of visits (largely from Malaysian agencies, Australia, and the UK) and exhibitions, but these are available in many other schools, and are hosted in the city at about the same time (as well as across the country). Also, the application is completed largely on your part - the school contributes a reference (from a teacher) and predicted grades at best (unless you require a little more than these).
+Quote Post
Knight_2008
post Jan 15 2011, 12:26 AM

Regular

btu somehow from what i gathered from this forum, students in KYUEM are a very serious lot. they really study hard as almost all of them aims to go top Uni and they really train the students in various extra curricular activities..this should provide the students with a very conducive study environment
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 15 2011, 12:37 AM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

Oh, I do not discredit KYUEM.

It's just that I hope people do not jump to conclusions (like I mistakenly did) when choosing a place for A levels/IB.

A school should be judged on the proportion of its students getting the high results (4/5 A*s etc) rather than the number, and partially on the success of its students. Other things to look for are teaching quality (rather impossible to find out genuinely beforehand), environment, facilities (this being Malaysia, hardly any) etc.
+Quote Post
DavidWKW
post Jan 15 2011, 04:42 PM

Love.Joy.Peace

QUOTE(Knight_2008 @ Jan 15 2011, 12:05 AM)
consider kyuem.. it's one of the most famous a levels provider.. many of their student end up in top Uni all around the world
Ya, jpa sent one of the top 10 spm scorers in malaysia from my college to KYUEM for her a level. However, it's very expensive $$$

This post has been edited by DavidWKW: Jan 15 2011, 04:43 PM
+Quote Post
Knight_2008
post Jan 15 2011, 08:17 PM

Regular

QUOTE(DavidWKW @ Jan 15 2011, 04:42 PM)
Ya, jpa sent one of the top 10 spm scorers in malaysia from my college to KYUEM for her a level. However, it's very expensive $$$
lol..actually 60k for boarding and study fees is almost the same as other colleges..

imagine u are from other states and come to study in taylor university... 30k for fees.. room and food at least will cost u 1k a month..times 18 means it will be 18.. altogether this will cost you 48-50k.. kyuen being a 20 percent premium is reasonable due to the many activities organised for the student:)
+Quote Post
blacktortoise
post Jan 21 2011, 10:45 AM

Getting Started

actually any college offering A levels, there will be some top scorer. So it's is not right to base on the number of top scorers from a college to decide if the college is very good for A levels or not.

After all for A Levels, being a top scorer is based on your own hardwork, not much of the lecturer.

I used to do A Levels in HELP, they have good and bad lecturers. Hardworking students can do well with a not so good lecturer. A not so hardworking student won't be able to do well even with a very good lecturer because it's mainly on how much you understand and memorize the things that you learn.

A lecturer cannot push in stuff into your head and make you get good grades.

So, choose a college which is more convenient to you la.
+Quote Post
PlShelpME1993
post Jan 21 2011, 12:24 PM

Getting Started

HELP A-level all ....the fees is approx 36k...ALL INCLUDED..( EXAM ...LAB ALL TAT)
i called them = = it wont be wrong...
but u sure can get the high achiever scholarship start from 7A/A+ ...
tat means if u got 1A+ and others A ....u can get tat....
max is 10A/A+ ...18k
9A/A+ ....15k/13k
+Quote Post
nicky87
post Jan 21 2011, 12:33 PM

Getting Started

I studied in TARC personally won't recommend it... it's cheap though i probably paid 7k in total although it was like 5-6 years ago... not sure how much is it now... if you value your future just don't... also don't attempt alvls unless you are VERY SURE u can score A*'s or at least AAB BBA in that sort of combination especially if you intend to try and work in the UK... anything less it will be a hindrance to your success... i am suffering the consequences right now as i type this... I hope that no one has to go through what I am going through right now... even with a first class honours degree no one would consider me because of my alvls in the UK.
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 21 2011, 02:56 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

It's quite extreme, don't you think, to tell people to not do A levels unless they are very sure of getting A*s, and then say they should be sure of getting at least AAB or ABB...

A*A*A* or better is a good result, but surely it's not necessary for someone to work in the UK. Furthermore, AAB and ABB are quite poor results (when compared with your fellow competing candidates and peers) and nowhere near the calibre of A*A*A* or better (while AAA is easily attainable, A*A*A* or better in hard subjects is not).

Also, very few people who take something along the lines of CIE's A levels can be "very sure" of scoring A*s (meaning A*A*A* or A*A*A*A* or more) before starting because it is difficult and rather unpredictable. At most, they can foresee or predict at least AAA/A*AA or something before the start.

You ask people not to even attempt A level if they aren't confident of A*s. I say, forget attempting. If you think you can do it (get AAA/AAAA/A*AA/A*AAA) then do it - don't waste your time attempting A levels, then SAM, then IB, then CPU, then Foundation, then Diploma in any order before figuring out what you can do. If you get a decent enough (say ABB or AAB) result you can still enroll in a good reputable school, but not number 1 or 2 in the UK. If that isn't your aim, then various Bs and Cs can get you there...

Don't tell me that various employers rejected you even though you've got a first class undergraduate degree just because you failed to achieve A*s at A level. That sounds pretty ridiculous - there are many factors involved in securing employment. What industry are you looking to work in? What degree subject did you take? What university did you graduate from? How well did your interviews go? Were your resumes any good?

+Quote Post
Optiplex330
post Jan 21 2011, 05:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!

If no money, do STPM. It's free and as widely recognized as A Level in countries like UK and Australia. In fact for some country like Singapore, they look more highly on STPM than A Level.

+Quote Post
mumu93
post Jan 21 2011, 11:30 PM

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 21 2011, 05:10 PM)
If no money, do STPM. It's free and as widely recognized as A Level in countries like UK and Australia. In fact for some country like Singapore, they look more highly on STPM than A Level.
I know it depends on the unis that im applying to but is STPM really treated equally compared to A-levels in the UK?

Its not about not having money. I'd prefer to spend less for my pre-u programme as it is just an entry requirement.

This post has been edited by mumu93: Jan 21 2011, 11:31 PM
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 22 2011, 01:09 AM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

We can't say with any certainty how fairly STPM is treated compared to A levels in Britain. But what is obvious is that if SPM is deemed considerable to GCSE/IGCSE/O level, and STPM is listed among their (most universities) acceptable qualifications, and they accept A levels from across all exam boards, and they accept students from other countries/places (Scotland i.e. Scottish Highers, Ireland, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, Scandinavia, Africa etc) with their own unique pre-university/6th form examinations, then they will graciously accept STPM students as long as they are good enough in their opinion.
+Quote Post
kaiserreich
post Jan 22 2011, 01:12 AM

Peminat Papan Kekunci

QUOTE(mumu93 @ Jan 21 2011, 11:30 PM)
I know it depends on the unis that im applying to but is STPM really treated equally compared to A-levels in the UK?

Its not about not having money. I'd prefer to spend less for my pre-u programme as it is just an entry requirement.
I had a friend doing STPM who got accepted to do economics in LSE. If LSE can accept STPM, why can't most British universities?
+Quote Post
nicky87
post Jan 22 2011, 01:24 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 21 2011, 02:56 PM)
It's quite extreme, don't you think, to tell people to not do A levels unless they are very sure of getting A*s, and then say they should be sure of getting at least AAB or ABB...

A*A*A* or better is a good result, but surely it's not necessary for someone to work in the UK. Furthermore, AAB and ABB are quite poor results (when compared with your fellow competing candidates and peers) and nowhere near the calibre of A*A*A* or better (while AAA is easily attainable, A*A*A* or better in hard subjects is not).

Also, very few people who take something along the lines of CIE's A levels can be "very sure" of scoring A*s (meaning A*A*A* or A*A*A*A* or more) before starting because it is difficult and rather unpredictable. At most, they can foresee or predict at least AAA/A*AA or something before the start.

You ask people not to even attempt A level if they aren't confident of A*s. I say, forget attempting. If you think you can do it (get AAA/AAAA/A*AA/A*AAA) then do it - don't waste your time attempting A levels, then SAM, then IB, then CPU, then Foundation, then Diploma in any order before figuring out what you can do. If you get a decent enough (say ABB or AAB) result you can still enroll in a good reputable school, but not number 1 or 2 in the UK. If that isn't your aim, then various Bs and Cs can get you there...

Don't tell me that various employers rejected you even though you've got a first class undergraduate degree just because you failed to achieve A*s at A level. That sounds pretty ridiculous - there are many factors involved in securing employment. What industry are you looking to work in? What degree subject did you take? What university did you graduate from? How well did your interviews go? Were your resumes any good?
Lets put it this way the minimum requirement for a graduate scheme is 300UCAS points and that is a ABB or and AAB let's forget the A*'s. if you go to a company website and key in your a-levels results the system will give you a message saying sorry you don't qualify for this job and that is the end of the road. I have looked at the banking and accounting industries in the UK. Only multinationals though because only they are willing to go through the hassle of applying for a work permit for foreign students. I did not get any interviews and they do not look at resumes per se, you will have to fill in their online forms. While I graduated from a top 50 Uk ranking university and now am in a top 10 ranking one doing masters I don't think it matters to the UK employers really. You need to meet their A-levels requirements or provide evidence that you have exsinuating circumstances such as illness or something else likewise.

All I am saying is that there are easier options than A-levels and it would be wiser to take it. Take a foundation get a string of HD's and at least that will give you a CHANCE to meet the employers... I don't even get to meet my employers, all i do is talk to computer systems and get filtered out. I am not talking about whether you can enter a decent school or not because the answer to that is YES you can enter a decent school however it's the job part which doesn't work. Look here I never thought that this bad patch in my education would come back to haunt me and yet it has.

Have you made applications to Uk companies before?? They do very clearly tell you sorry we are unable to offer you a place because your academic qualifications are not as good as the pool of talent we have. If your academics are good enough and you lack in other departmennts like commercial awareness or right fit for the company they will clearly state that in their rejection email to you.
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 22 2011, 02:13 AM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

I have not applied to companies in the UK (as I am not living there) but I am working for a multinational British company (in the financial services industry, headquartered and centered in the UK) here in Malaysia.

I am aware of the high quality that top companies in the UK (like the multinationals, as you said) look for - I just did not know that all of them (or very many, like you say) applied a stringent system which removed applicants for graduate schemes with less than 300 points on the UCAS tariffs.

Surely 300 points is not equal to ABB and AAB at the same time. AAB is equal to 340 points and ABB is equal to 320 points, so what are you on about? As for A*s (worth 140 points each), you only need to revisit your post above to see how odd (and incorrect) your comment was regarding A*s.

BBB would satisfy the 300 points requirement, and a number of Cs, Ds, and Es could as well - which is sort of why the tariff system fails - if no limits are imposed. But we are not debating the tariff system.

I'm starting to doubt everything else you say, based on your comments on the grades and their points value. Could you even prove what you say about the UCAS tariff points minimum requirement of 300 for the graduate schemes of the companies you applied to is true? After all, you bizarrely speak of A*s at A level, then say 300 is equal to both ABB and AAB at the same time, when neither are.

You say you've completed your 1st class degree but failed to obtain employment, and that you're now doing a Masters at a top 10 UK university. You then claim that you believe British employers won't care that you're doing the Masters at the top 10 school because you haven't got 300 points (a BBB) or ABB or AAB - how do you know this? You haven't applied post-Masters, have you? Surely a student with a first class undergraduate degree from a possibly recognisable school, who also did a Masters at a top 10 school, can get one interview from all the multinational financial companies in the UK? Exactly what "top 10" school is this?

Online applications sometimes fail because they are online applications. Have all your attempts at meeting with/calling agents, staffing people, recruiters, HR staff, and managers failed? Is this your fault? I know how the online forms work (gone through them myself, obviously not for graduate schemes but for similar programmes at a lower level for multinationals) and they really don't work all that well - this can't be helped. There are other ways apart from online applications.

Admittedly there are easier options than A levels, but aren't A levels an easy enough option? Would you rather take a foundation or a less recognised pre-university qualification only to realise that it is not well-liked by British (or some other) universities, and that you have little chance of enrolling in the famous/reputable/highly ranked school of your choice? IB students argue IB is difficult as well, and even people who don't take STPM claim it is extremely hard. Apart from twinning programmes (which won't get you way up there with the best of British universities) or direct degree foundations (only common with lower ranked universities), I don't see many brighter choices, really.

You stress the importance of academics. Undergrad degree results are academics. If they are really impressive, surely they hold some clout in your profile? Poor GCSEs/IGCSEs/O levels do not often hold back a student with outstanding A level/IB results, and so "poor" A level results should not hold back a student with a Masters (presumably a good one) from a top 10 British school (for British employers, that is) and excellent undergrad results.
+Quote Post
mumu93
post Jan 22 2011, 02:46 AM

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 22 2011, 01:09 AM)
We can't say with any certainty how fairly STPM is treated compared to A levels in Britain. But what is obvious is that if SPM is deemed considerable to GCSE/IGCSE/O level, and STPM is listed among their (most universities) acceptable qualifications, and they accept A levels from across all exam boards, and they accept students from other countries/places (Scotland i.e. Scottish Highers, Ireland, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, Scandinavia, Africa etc) with their own unique pre-university/6th form examinations, then they will graciously accept STPM students as long as they are good enough in their opinion.
QUOTE(kaiserreich @ Jan 22 2011, 01:12 AM)
I had a friend doing STPM who got accepted to do economics in LSE. If LSE can accept STPM, why can't most British universities?
Thanks guys! =) I'll try to find more infos about it.
+Quote Post
Optiplex330
post Jan 22 2011, 08:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(mumu93 @ Jan 21 2011, 11:30 PM)
Yes.

UK universities know STPM is one of the toughest exams in the world so they treat it equal to A Level, if not more.

Unfortunately many SPM leavers are ignorant of that fact so thought it was the other way around.

Added on January 22, 2011, 10:27 am
QUOTE(nicky87 @ Jan 22 2011, 01:24 AM)
Lets put it this way the minimum requirement for a graduate scheme is 300UCAS points and that is a ABB or and AAB let's forget the A*'s.
You mean to say, to get into UK universities undergraduate course, you need ABB or AAB? Sounded unreasonably high requirement to me.

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jan 22 2011, 10:27 AM
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 22 2011, 10:58 AM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

No, he meant to say to qualify for a graduate scheme in the banking and accounting industries in Britain a graduate needs to have 300 points or ABB or AAB, but I still think something's not completely right there.

To get into an undergrad course it depends on the course and the school. Even for an extremely competitive course (for example, BSc Economics) which would require A*A*AA or A*AA at the very least at some schools would barely need ABB or lower at others.
+Quote Post
thexs
post Jan 23 2011, 12:02 AM

Getting Started

First thing you need to make sure of is if the A Levels you plan to take is recognized or not.

Fees-wise, I think TARC would be your best choice. It's just Pre-U afterall, the important part in tertiary education is your degree. As long as your Pre-U is recognized, you're good to go.

As for lecturer quality, I don't think lecturers play a very large role in determining your academic success. Yes, they can provide all the help and guidance but in the end, it's all up to you, your determination and drive to work hard and do well.

Good luck! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Hikari0307
post Jan 23 2011, 12:26 AM

平成の光

QUOTE(thexs @ Jan 23 2011, 12:02 AM)
First thing you need to make sure of is if the A Levels you plan to take is recognized or not.
Is there a not recognized A-Levels?
+Quote Post
Optiplex330
post Jan 23 2011, 08:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Hikari0307 @ Jan 23 2011, 12:26 AM)
May be there is an Indian A Level or a African A Level? I sure didn't know that biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
thexs
post Jan 23 2011, 11:08 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Hikari0307 @ Jan 23 2011, 12:26 AM)
Sorry, my mistake. Didn't research on it before.
I thought it was like foundation or diploma. You know, those offered by small private institutions are sometimes rejected. My father's Diploma is not accepted by the Malaysian Govt. blush.gif

+Quote Post
Optiplex330
post Jan 23 2011, 11:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(thexs @ Jan 23 2011, 11:08 AM)
My father's Diploma is not accepted by the Malaysian Govt.  blush.gif
Then your father should try get a medical degree because Malaysia recognized those from all over the world ranging from Cairo to Moscow except the China degree. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
thexs
post Jan 23 2011, 11:38 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 23 2011, 11:31 AM)
Then your father should try get a medical degree because Malaysia recognized those from all over the world ranging from Cairo to Moscow except the China degree. biggrin.gif
Well, I guess it's too late for him now. Still, he works for Motorola, that's good enough. He once had an offer to study in University of Bath in UK but he had financial difficulties and had to turn down that offer. sad.gif

+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 23 2011, 12:15 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

In India or Africa they sometimes take CIE/Edexcel GCE A levels (as well as IGCSE or O levels). Only very few countries have their own versions (which means people outside do not take them because the exam boards aren't international). For example, Singapore's A levels, and their Singapore-GCE O levels, or Hong Kong A levels.
+Quote Post
nicky87
post Jan 24 2011, 07:33 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 22 2011, 02:13 AM)
I have not applied to companies in the UK (as I am not living there) but I am working for a multinational British company (in the financial services industry, headquartered and centered in the UK) here in Malaysia.

I am aware of the high quality that top companies in the UK (like the multinationals, as you said) look for - I just did not know that all of them (or very many, like you say) applied a stringent system which removed applicants for graduate schemes with less than 300 points on the UCAS tariffs.

Surely 300 points is not equal to ABB and AAB at the same time. AAB is equal to 340 points and ABB is equal to 320 points, so what are you on about? As for A*s (worth 140 points each), you only need to revisit your post above to see how odd (and incorrect) your comment was regarding A*s.

BBB would satisfy the 300 points requirement, and a number of Cs, Ds, and Es could as well - which is sort of why the tariff system fails - if no limits are imposed. But we are not debating the tariff system.

I'm starting to doubt everything else you say, based on your comments on the grades and their points value. Could you even prove what you say about the UCAS tariff points minimum requirement of 300 for the graduate schemes of the companies you applied to is true? After all, you bizarrely speak of A*s at A level, then say 300 is equal to both ABB and AAB at the same time, when neither are.

You say you've completed your 1st class degree but failed to obtain employment, and that you're now doing a Masters at a top 10 UK university. You then claim that you believe British employers won't care that you're doing the Masters at the top 10 school because you haven't got 300 points (a BBB) or ABB or AAB - how do you know this? You haven't applied post-Masters, have you? Surely a student with a first class undergraduate degree from a possibly recognisable school, who also did a Masters at a top 10 school, can get one interview from all the multinational financial companies in the UK? Exactly what "top 10" school is this?

Online applications sometimes fail because they are online applications. Have all your attempts at meeting with/calling agents, staffing people, recruiters, HR staff, and managers failed? Is this your fault? I know how the online forms work (gone through them myself, obviously not for graduate schemes but for similar programmes at a lower level for multinationals) and they really don't work all that well - this can't be helped. There are other ways apart from online applications.

Admittedly there are easier options than A levels, but aren't A levels an easy enough option? Would you rather take a foundation or a less recognised pre-university qualification only to realise that it is not well-liked by British (or some other) universities, and that you have little chance of enrolling in the famous/reputable/highly ranked school of your choice? IB students argue IB is difficult as well, and even people who don't take STPM claim it is extremely hard. Apart from twinning programmes (which won't get you way up there with the best of British universities) or direct degree foundations (only common with lower ranked universities), I don't see many brighter choices, really.

You stress the importance of academics. Undergrad degree results are academics. If they are really impressive, surely they hold some clout in your profile? Poor GCSEs/IGCSEs/O levels do not often hold back a student with outstanding A level/IB results, and so "poor" A level results should not hold back a student with a Masters (presumably a good one) from a top 10 British school (for British employers, that is) and excellent undergrad results.
First off I am not exactly looking for an online debate/fight... that was my opinion that unless you get strings of A's you will not get looked at. I believe you are adding A*'s into the eqn that is how 300UCAS points is not ABB... for my year of Alvls 300UCAS points is ABB B=80 so 80x2 160 then A is 140 so it's 300 isn't it... A*'s are something new and I admit I don't know much about them. Getting a job for a british multinational in Malaysia doesn't require you to show your alvl results... in general in malaysia I believe A-levels results are not significant... just your degree and SPM. Which is why I did not worry too much about my alvls results however it turns out that here they vet applicants according to a-levels and not o-levels. Academics will only get you the interview however after that it's not about academics anymore it's a level playing field... if you wish to doubt my statements please do a search on basic firms and look at their UCAS point requirement... such as Accenture (340UCAS), Big 4 (300 UCAS) mind you it must be fore graduate schemes.

Also I cannot go to agents because I do not hold a right to work in the UK. You can only register with an agent after you get your PSW Visa... which is about to be abolished so that avenue is out. Yes I have went to networking events and talked to recruiters. What they tell you is just apply online and if you meet the requirement we'll contact you. You can call anyone you like they will all tell you to apply online... everything is online here even if you want to apply for temporary work in Primark you HAVE TO apply online and complete their online test. I must add that it is hard to find jobs also because of the new limitations in Tier1 visas thus competition increases and unless you have good alvls results or it's equivalent... meaning local college foundations work as well. So to me I rather get a string of HD's in foundation than get four C's in alvls... the former would get you into the next round and that is the online assessment tests. Everything said if you aim to work in Malaysia then go ahead with alvls it's not a significant component probably but I think those who want to attempt to find a job in the UK specifically should consider this as a factor.
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 24 2011, 08:07 AM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

It has since changed, A=120 not 140, and B=100. BBB is now 300 points. Certain boards (i.e. CIE) have made it easier to score B or better and A or better after introducing A* so the tariffs reflect that accurately, though the tariffs are imprecise in general for mostly everything.

Yes, I am aware of the recent actions taken by the government and the proposed plans that are set to be implemented after Jan 2011... it's unfortunate.

I just think (however dire your situation) that a string of As aren't always needed. Yes, most people have to slug it out in offices like some of us do, and yes, graduate schemes are hiring freshers so A level results still matter to them, and they filter candidates with certain minimum scores. If they use a 340 points filter, then A*AC, A*BB, A*AEE, A*BDE, A*CCE, AAB, AADE, ABCE, ABDD, BCCC etc would've been enough.

Added on January 24, 2011, 9:51 amTo those who question A levels and the differences between exam boards, this is what CIE says to the question "What is the difference between CIE and OCR GCE AS/A levels":

< The level is the same, as CIE's qualifications are aligned with OCR (our sister organisation and a leading UK exam board). However, there are a few key differences:

Cambridge International A Levels are specifically designed to suit the needs of an international student body.
Contexts or examples used in Cambridge syllabuses and question papers are culturally sensitive in an international context.
In some cases, CIE has developed country specific variants to meet local needs, for example in Brunei CIE developed a suite of Religious Studies Cambridge International A Levels focusing on Islam and the Quran.
Cambridge International A Level is used as the national qualification in a number of countries, for example Mauritius and Brunei.
There is a much wider range of subjects available at Cambridge International A Level, for example the wide range of languages offered.

The UCAS UK Qualifications Handbook Entry for Cambridge International A and AS Levels states that they are acceptable at grades A* to E in lieu of UK GCE A and AS Level on a subject-­for-­subject and grade-­for-­grade basis.

It should be noted that Cambridge International A Levels are different in structure from UK A Levels. Whereas UK A and AS Levels are modular and students can retake individual components, the Cambridge International A Levels have a linear structure which encourages a more integrated study of the entire subject. Most students take all their Cambridge International A Level papers in one series. Students who take Cambridge International AS Level first and then want to retake it must generally take the whole of the Cambridge International AS Level. >

So yeah, basically the British (and overseas) schools have come to accept CIE's or Edexcel's A levels (or O levels or GCSEs or IGCSEs) as the same as those taken in the UK (even if they may be harder). All that matters is you do it and do it well.

This post has been edited by LightningFist: Jan 24 2011, 09:51 AM
+Quote Post
mumu93
post Jan 24 2011, 11:09 PM

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 24 2011, 08:07 AM)
It has since changed, A=120 not 140, and B=100. BBB is now 300 points. Certain boards (i.e. CIE) have made it easier to score B or better and A or better after introducing A* so the tariffs reflect that accurately, though the tariffs are imprecise in general for mostly everything.

Yes, I am aware of the recent actions taken by the government and the proposed plans that are set to be implemented after Jan 2011... it's unfortunate.

I just think (however dire your situation) that a string of As aren't always needed. Yes, most people have to slug it out in offices like some of us do, and yes, graduate schemes are hiring freshers so A level results still matter to them, and they filter candidates with certain minimum scores. If they use a 340 points filter, then A*AC, A*BB, A*AEE, A*BDE, A*CCE, AAB, AADE, ABCE, ABDD, BCCC etc would've been enough.

Added on January 24, 2011, 9:51 amTo those who question A levels and the differences between exam boards, this is what CIE says to the question "What is the difference between CIE and OCR GCE AS/A levels":

< The level is the same, as CIE's qualifications are aligned with OCR (our sister organisation and a leading UK exam board). However, there are a few key differences:

Cambridge International A Levels are specifically designed to suit the needs of an international student body.
      Contexts or examples used in Cambridge syllabuses and question papers are culturally sensitive in an international context.
      In some cases, CIE has developed country specific variants to meet local needs, for example in Brunei CIE developed a suite of Religious Studies Cambridge International A Levels focusing on Islam and the Quran.
      Cambridge International A Level is used as the national qualification in a number of countries, for example Mauritius and Brunei.
      There is a much wider range of subjects available at Cambridge International A Level, for example the wide range of languages offered.

The UCAS UK Qualifications Handbook Entry for Cambridge International A and AS Levels states that they are acceptable at grades A* to E in lieu of UK GCE A and AS Level on a subject-­for-­subject and grade-­for-­grade basis.

It should be noted that Cambridge International A Levels are different in structure from UK A Levels. Whereas UK A and AS Levels are modular and students can retake individual components, the Cambridge International A Levels have a linear structure which encourages a more integrated study of the entire subject. Most students take all their Cambridge International A Level papers in one series. Students who take Cambridge International AS Level first and then want to retake it must generally take the whole of the Cambridge International AS Level. >

So yeah, basically the British (and overseas) schools have come to accept CIE's or Edexcel's A levels (or O levels or GCSEs or IGCSEs) as the same as those taken in the UK (even if they may be harder). All that matters is you do it and do it well.
I've been trying to find the in-depth difference between the two boards since i was contemplating on which to choose. You made my work easier smile.gif Thanks so much!
+Quote Post
sakon7
post Jan 24 2011, 11:45 PM

Getting Started

If you get 9a in spm i think Tarc will give full scholarship?
+Quote Post
nicky87
post Jan 25 2011, 08:18 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sakon7 @ Jan 24 2011, 11:45 PM)
If you get 9a in spm i think Tarc will give full scholarship?
Yes they will give you a scholarship. Whether it's full I'm not 100% sure because it's been a long time back when i was in TARC 9A's earns you a full scholarship. However you need to bear in mind you need to pass all their mock exams and an explanation will be asked for should you fail any one subject even by 1 mark.

@LightningFist: Yeah I realised it has changed with the addition of A*'s and to be exact I was thinking about his last night I made a mistake about how much a B is back then... for me at least a B is 90points and an A is 120points so ABB is 180+120 which makes 300points. I believe recruitment at the moment is still basing their UCAS points based on the pretense that there are no A*'s cause that batch has yet to start to join the work force. I believe they will change the minimum point requirement with this change. But that is to be seen.

Also your combinations have to be only 3 subjects they take your best three subjects. so combinations which provide 300points with 4 subjects are not considered.

I do agree that a string of A's is not everything however as an international student you need the string of A's because employers have to be able to justify to the UKBA that they believe that you are better than what is available to them (I.e. the UK and EU students who are higher up the pecking order).

Slogging is a given not just for some of us but all of us I think because we're young and inexperienced. Even with a masters in hand I personally do not expect to be paid more or held in a higher regard. I only took a masters so that it will help in future career advancement not at the early stages. I think it's better to study while you still can cause I do realise as we get older it becomes harder to absorb new things... bad memory and all.
+Quote Post
yukichang14
post Mar 26 2013, 12:57 PM

Btw, the lecturer are quite good for me! ^^

[/quote]

did u mean the lecturer at TARC?

+Quote Post
yukichang14
post Mar 26 2013, 01:01 PM

QUOTE(nicky87 @ Jan 21 2011, 12:33 PM)
I studied in TARC personally won't recommend it... it's cheap though i probably paid 7k in total although it was like 5-6 years ago... not sure how much is it now... if you value your future just don't... also don't attempt alvls unless you are VERY SURE u can score A*'s or at least AAB BBA in that sort of combination especially if you intend to try and work in the UK... anything less it will be a hindrance to your success... i am suffering the consequences right now as i type this... I hope that no one has to go through what I am going through right now... even with a first class honours degree no one would consider me because of my alvls in the UK.
do u mean like TARC is not a good place to be studied?
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0555sec    0.62    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:00 AM