127 posts

I think I'm ready for my first leo.

Want to BUY

Any offer will be appreciated smile.gif
tkgan
post Feb 22 2011, 10:40 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(echosmiles @ Feb 22 2011, 09:05 PM)
Norea :

Good question there. Firstly just want you to know that my explanation and advice are based from my own experience and it could differ from other breeders and hobbyist.

Here is what I would do with Calcium and D3.

We all know that Leopard Geckos doesn't need direct sunlight to absorb vitamin D3....and we know that vitamin D3 is use as an agent for leos to digest their food and break down calcium for easy absorption. Without D3 reptiles such as leopard gecko would have problems digesting their food hence giving out greenish colored feces or even not fully digested feces. This wouldn't be good for the leos. So where does leopard gecko gets their D3 from?

Since leopard gecko consume vitamin D3 orally, there are very very few sources where we could actually get vitamin D3 from which are ...

a) Cod Liver Oil ~ I dont think geckos love to slurp oil
b) Milk and Cereals ~ Not a good idea too give direct to leos.
c) Egg Yolk ~ Geckos don't like this unless we force feed em.

So the problem here is how to we get D3 to our leos?

Leos in the wild will actually consume sand to get their source of calcium and YES leopard gecko do get most of their D3 from their staple food such as crickets because, crickets eats on stuffs that has D3 in them...

D3 food souce >>>> Cricket >>>> Leopard Gecko.

So one of the method to get D3 into your leopard geckos is to gutload ur crickets or mealworms with cereals or hard boiled egg yolk prior to feeding them to your leos. This would be too much work  ya ?
Now the best method to get our leos to consume D3 is simply tricking them into licking calcium powder WITH D3 mixed with it.

Ok now here comes the problem...too little D3 gecko can't digest food....Too much D3 gecko get intoxicated and throws out loose and wet feces. The whole idea is to balance their intake depending on their needs.

Here's a simplified guide that could help you out.

For Leopard Gecko Babies after first shed.
Mixed a dish bowl of mealworms gutloaded with carrots dusted with Calcium and D3 until they reach 10g onwards.

For Juvee Leopard Geckos
Gutloaded staple food with carrots and/or potato dusted with Calcium all the time but dusted with Calcium + D3 subsequently.

For Adult Leopard Geckos
Gutloaded Staple food with carrots and/or potato but dusted with Calcium + D3 subsequently.

For Gravid or Ovulating Mothers
Gutloaded staple food with carrots and/or potato dusted with Calcium + D3 always AND .... leaving a dish of pure calcium for that extra need in its enclosure.

*Note: I hand feed my leos with Crickets and Superworms 2-3 times a week meaning every 2-3 days once.

D3 is used to break down calcium so the gecko can absorb it better. Too much of D3 would over digest the food hence giving it a reverse effect.

By using this method I've managed to balance my leos nutrient needs and I'd realized that their feces are nice solid and not too dry. My geckos are getting plumper and i'd avoided cases like MBD and intoxication. Better egg clutches and healthier mothers are a bonus too.

I hope this helps to clear out ur doubts. Oh and btw, if pure calcium are too expensive you could use dried cuttle fish bone. Just make sure u grind it to powder form before giving it to your leos.  tongue.gif

Cheers*
Really useful information bro. Thank you thumbup.gif
tkgan
post Mar 8 2011, 01:25 AM

Getting Started
127 posts

Sorry for your loss on the baby bell enigma but the second one is a real sweetheart ! wub.gif
tkgan
post Mar 9 2011, 01:12 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

How to get newly rehomed juvenile gecko to eat huh?

Just got my new juvie yesterday. Tried hand feeding him with cricket but she wont take it. I also placed small mealworms into a dish but she dint eat them also. The only meal she took was a small dubia roach which I hand fed.

tkgan
post Mar 9 2011, 02:39 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(dimpleeee @ Mar 9 2011, 02:44 PM)
Sounds like she like roaches than others..lols..sudah addicted..
LOL that's a gecko that loves quality food !

QUOTE(L3()nZ @ Mar 9 2011, 02:49 PM)
Greeting to all. How do i knw my male gecko is interested with the female?
From what I observed if the male's ready, he will vibrate his tail then bump the female using his nose. After that he'll bite and try to mount the female.
tkgan
post Mar 9 2011, 11:56 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(fionayee @ Mar 9 2011, 04:50 PM)
Your new leo needs some time to settle down from all the stress and the new surroundings.Give her some time and she will start eating.Some leos will start eating a day after arriving at their new home,others can take up to a month before they start eating.Don't worry so much smile.gif
Yeah i think that's the problem cause today she finally ate ! I'm so relieved. biggrin.gif
tkgan
post Mar 12 2011, 01:16 AM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(mindstorm @ Mar 12 2011, 01:55 AM)
why? can't it be kept as a pet just like the other geckos here?

anyway i didn't even catch it. just took a photograph of it before it turned and ran away into the thick undergrowth.

anway thanks for the id
You did the right thing for only taking its photo but not the gecko itself rclxms.gif

Wild animals should all be left alone. Else the sad case like that of tokey geckos will surface again.
tkgan
post Mar 13 2011, 08:30 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

Any idea on how to find a missing gecko. One of my juvies escaped cry.gif

I've searched through out all of my house but still cant find her icon_question.gif
tkgan
post Mar 13 2011, 11:46 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

The thing that baffles me is how the little fella escaped. She lived in a rack system that have no gaps for escape. I'm pretty sure this morning I still saw her when i check her enclosure but when I wanna feed her in the evening she's gone !

I'm also sure that I had all their enclosure nicely closed but she still can escape.I had tear my house apart to find her but no success. Now I can just put a bowl of mealworms at the hall and hope that she'll appear.

Set up some traps, hopefully she'll be found in one of them.

This post has been edited by tkgan: Mar 14 2011, 02:24 AM
tkgan
post Mar 14 2011, 05:24 AM

Getting Started
127 posts

UPDATE : I finally found her ! She was hiding in on of my bags and just now she finally showed up ! I'm so relieved even words can describe lol.

Now finally I can sleep yawn.gif
tkgan
post Mar 14 2011, 02:36 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(BIKA @ Mar 14 2011, 12:04 PM)
This fellow hatched at 2.00am this morning...
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

and this fellow hatched at 8.00am this morning...

Enjoy.. blush.gif
Those are some nice babies. Congratz bro.

QUOTE(Azazel @ Mar 14 2011, 01:06 PM)
While we are on the shopping matter, I need to know one thing. How many of you here think these are uniquely beautiful?

I do. Who else?

smile.gif
ME ME ME!!!
tkgan
post Mar 25 2011, 05:55 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(Azazel @ Mar 25 2011, 05:47 PM)
Owh another thing is that who is "Pookyma" in geckoforums? I'm just curious because I find the name rather funny LMFAO!
Sounds familiar biggrin.gif
tkgan
post Mar 30 2011, 07:32 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

Agree with Kurt. Should keep all the AFTs rather than swapping with the leopard geckos.

It's not worth it.
tkgan
post Apr 1 2011, 03:45 AM

Getting Started
127 posts

Good post Teden. Best of luck to the egg.
tkgan
post Apr 5 2011, 03:59 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(echosmiles @ Apr 5 2011, 02:12 PM)
I got 212 gecko running expenses at RM750 a month so that is RM3.54 per gecko / month.

Easy and cheap maintenance pet...
That's a lot of geckos !
tkgan
post Apr 6 2011, 08:19 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(jcs_5 @ Apr 6 2011, 04:46 PM)
Hi all,
Happen to bump onto this beautiful creature in this site... i would like to try this hobby ..
May i know if i can get any at below rm100 ? Preferably the orange coloured ones..

Thanks
No offense but your budget's way too low bro in my opinion bro.
tkgan
post Apr 7 2011, 03:32 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(jcs_5 @ Apr 7 2011, 11:44 AM)
Hi Guys , thanks for the reply.

No worries tkgan.  biggrin.gif

Thanks the feedback.

Hi Mika , thanks for the info  thumbup.gif , Am interested . Could you point me to the guys who have the hi-yellow . Gonna google how it looks like ... hehe . Maybe will give up my 2 inch fireleg to change to this hobby.

Added on April 7, 2011, 10:46 am
Hi Mika, Am interested in the tt too. Just to find out more about Geckos. Please let me know, thanks again.
Oh i thought you were referring to the orange colored morphs when you stated your budget. Those cost more than a hi yellow.

And yes you have a big chance to get a high yellow baby at that budget smile.gif
tkgan
post Apr 7 2011, 05:59 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

She's adorable wub.gif
tkgan
post Apr 10 2011, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(Azazel @ Apr 10 2011, 04:02 PM)
I'm selling. Just not the cheap stuffs though. smile.gif
QUOTE(echosmiles @ Apr 10 2011, 04:37 PM)
Me either sad.gif
Quality > Quantity
ANYTIME
tkgan
post Apr 11 2011, 12:06 AM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(Wesley Tan @ Apr 10 2011, 10:34 PM)
My April Babies icon_rolleyes.gif
user posted image
The snow enigma is a real keeper !!!

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0301sec    0.35    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:20 AM