7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Leopard Gecko V.5, It's Morphing Time ~

views

IliekIZ
post Dec 29 2010, 11:41 PM

33 posts

thumbup.gif Version 5 thumbup.gif

What for la put my name on top of the breeder list sweat.gif you and Azazel should be ranking first rather..
Anyway, a new version deserves new pictures of some of my female breeders that I haven't shown much on the forums, first and the last time on this version tongue.gif

user posted image
Still love my hi yellow the most wub.gif
IliekIZ
post Dec 30 2010, 09:35 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(RyoKenzaki @ Dec 30 2010, 12:55 PM)
My hi yellow!
Congrate on the new thread, kurtis gatal  rclxms.gif
Mine now! Muahahahaha gravid and ready to go laugh.gif

QUOTE(echosmiles @ Dec 30 2010, 08:32 PM)
Dreamsickle x Snow Raptor =

25% Nova
50% Dreamsickle
25% Super Nova

Hmmm ....
Super pro la Kurt your dreamsickle outcome 100% hit enigma gene, notworthy.gif
IliekIZ
post Dec 30 2010, 10:54 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(BIKA @ Dec 30 2010, 10:32 PM)
Tornado x Typhoon = 25% Cyclone
                                  25% Hurricane
                                  25% Sandstorm
                                  25% Whirlwind
rclxub.gif
I luv ur snow fasio...ummh,I need to recruit more female leos,any wan selling?? whistling.gif
I need to recruit more male leos, anyone selling?? whistling.gif

Hahahaha how's production going so far BIKA?
IliekIZ
post Jan 1 2011, 06:22 AM

33 posts

Happy 2011 all, as more and more fellow hobbyists become bigger and better breeders, just want to share a lil about my experience in ensuring females lay eggs comfortably and speedily.

Instead of using see through plastic boxes, try something like ice cream boxes (in my case) to make your females feel safer and more prepared to lay since they love dark places. Likewise you can also house them in somewhere darker or just throw a piece of cloth around your tank, I move my gravid females to my storeroom and I can find them digging almost instantly.

Just my RM0.02 input to answer some of the PMs and msges asking about egg laying. Cheers all and more babies this coming year! icon_rolleyes.gif
IliekIZ
post Jan 3 2011, 08:38 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(Chinchillas @ Jan 1 2011, 01:03 PM)
user posted image
Ilikeiz your signature fantastic! thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif
tongue.gif yours more impressive bro hahaha..

QUOTE(Qeeshen @ Jan 3 2011, 01:12 AM)
$$
What's with the spamming? blink.gif
IliekIZ
post Jan 4 2011, 11:49 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(Arawin92 @ Jan 4 2011, 08:47 PM)
i finally gave up searching for mealworms n nw buying them in big bulk  storing...if any one of u need meal worm in smal or medium quantity let me knw...
While storing them allows you to properly gutload them for your geckos, do note that they can turn into pupae in the matter of 1-2 weeks.. unsure.gif
IliekIZ
post Jan 6 2011, 02:59 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(katannaz @ Jan 6 2011, 02:10 PM)
hi all...
want to ask something  icon_question.gif
after lay egg, normal how long she will take to lay egg again??
so confuse because i put i pair i tank, in this case is shtct and murphy patty
she already lay 2 egg on 12-15 dec and last nite she lay 2 more, is't normal?  notworthy.gif
1st laying 2 egg but one already crack and stick to moist box
[attachmentid=1979220]
2nd laying 2 egg and both in good shape
[attachmentid=1979226]
The loving couple  biggrin.gif
[attachmentid=1979217]
Hi bro, once they start their season they can lay around 12 times thereabout, if not mistaken every 2-3 weeks they'll lay one clutch.
Anyway congratz on the eggs and do incubate them well smile.gif

Also, try to pump up the patty as it looks a bit on the thin side from the picture, is it the father or mother?
IliekIZ
post Jan 6 2011, 11:37 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(katannaz @ Jan 6 2011, 04:36 PM)
thanks a lot.. the patty is mother
ok, already provide cal+d3 and multi vit in they tank
Try to make sure the female is also eating bro, normally I don't house my males and females together unless for mating to make sure that I can monitor their feeding smile.gif

QUOTE(Arawin92 @ Jan 6 2011, 09:06 PM)
but i tot they get all the D3 they need from their food?
shocking.gif

IliekIZ
post Jan 7 2011, 02:04 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(Arawin92 @ Jan 7 2011, 01:55 PM)
wat bot vits? cn mix with cal powder in the same dish n give?
Your short form typing is nothing short of impressive bro. Anyway for vitamins I don't think its necessary to place inside the enclosure, if you're worried about D3 overdose you should be even more worried about this. Just the occasional dusting will do.

Just wanna show u guys a funny pic of my shtct baby born in 1.1.2011.
Had I not nudged the egg I bet it would be chilling there til 1.1.2012 biggrin.gif
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by IliekIZ: Jan 7 2011, 03:03 PM
IliekIZ
post Jan 11 2011, 10:22 PM

33 posts

Congratz again Wesley, nice video you took lol and good looking eggs there.

QUOTE(withoutending @ Jan 11 2011, 08:22 PM)
i hope i can see mine lay egg..congratz bro..

btw,yesterday my LG lay only 1 egg..i tot suppose to give 2 eggs..is it normal?
Perfectly normal bro, especially after laying 2 good eggs sometimes they only are able to produce 1 egg. I have 1 female thats going 2-1-2-1 so hopefully next round 2 biggrin.gif

QUOTE(zeonczk @ Jan 10 2011, 11:18 AM)
How do u guys actually make the incubator? or do u guys ever do any incubator?

can egg-bound problem be treated??
I won't touch on egg binding issues since the question has been raised a few times in the forums and I have no experience in that so far,
as for incubators, I know of people who modify fridges to do that but its really costly.

Most keepers from the West have to incubate their eggs because their temperature fluctuates due to seasonal changes as far as I can tell. Locally we just keep them in styrofoam coolers to avoid serious temp fluctuation.
My incubator to incubate babies at TSF is seriously VERY SIMPLE wink.gif will post a pic when I take out my camera.

IliekIZ
post Jan 12 2011, 01:25 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(fida5659 @ Jan 12 2011, 01:03 AM)
i also using the Styrofoam box and temperature monitor from exoterra to incubate the eggs. By the way, i got a blinded leo baby. It cannot feed itself and have trouble in shedding period. What should i do.
My first hatchling had the same problem. The best thing to do is still to cull it, its sad but there's not much of a choice.
IliekIZ
post Jan 12 2011, 02:30 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(Wesley Tan @ Jan 12 2011, 01:54 PM)
user posted image

user posted image
Mine is like this, all I do is just take off the lid, then attach the open surface to the back of my fridge. icon_idea.gif
Took me a long time to figure out how to incubate my eggs at female temperatures [79-82'F] and just thought I'd share it with you guys since you asked.

Now disclaimer --> Fridge models are different and some of yours may not have a cooler back or even a smooth surface to let u incubate like how I did so don't come around firing me if what I'm doing does not work out for you.

Temperature ranges from 78-82 on my side, depending on how hard I mist it. smile.gif

IliekIZ
post Jan 12 2011, 02:49 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(Azazel @ Jan 12 2011, 02:41 PM)
This must be the most innovative idea EVER! Kudos! rclxms.gif
Can't believe this is your first post in v5 bro whistling.gif
Desperation leads to innovation I guess, not everyone has a place with cool temperatures like yours wink.gif

I was contemplating hooking a thermostat to a mini fridge and using it as an incubator but I can't find someone with the means, so heck care la this method works fine so far hahaha
IliekIZ
post Jan 12 2011, 04:04 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(BIKA @ Jan 12 2011, 04:01 PM)
Good innovation lah bro but my frigde cant work like ur.my fridge's back release heat type..only good for incubate male nia.

If u r a wine collector or ur family member,there is a wine chiller in the market that has 2 section with different temp adjustment.Upper section for white wine which need cooler temp and bottom section is for red wine which temp i think is suitable for incubation.Can chill the white wine,red wine and eggs incubation all in the same time.
1 stone 3 birds.too bad i dun drink. biggrin.gif
Yeah I understand that I had an old fridge that is like that too. Regarding wine chillers as incubator, my dad actually suggested to me but the price is really not feasible. Unless maybe I have dozens of eggs, then maybe can collect wine and eggs? sweat.gif
IliekIZ
post Jan 17 2011, 02:02 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(zeonczk @ Jan 17 2011, 01:36 AM)
Thanks alot on the info..

dents as in between the eyes n the ears.. i find it weird.. because i think isaac have one with a dent only on one side.. but mine is on both sides..

Added on January 17, 2011, 1:50 amI've been to ikano's pet store, and it really breaks the heart of any pet lover especially if u know the illness.. i saw a leopard gecko with crypto and another with severe MBD.. i will post up those pics soon.. Its so sad to know that they are actually waiting for "the day" to come..
Interesting question lol, while you're at it you can also ask about over/underbites, tail kinks etc because I have no clue why it happens sad.gif

And talking about Ikano it is really pathetic and I know how you feel.. thin, weak, dying, lifeless, not fed well, not housed well, no proper supplements. Not only I pity the geckos, I pity the potential buyers who'll pay mega premium price to get crappy animals.
IliekIZ
post Jan 19 2011, 04:50 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(Azazel @ Jan 19 2011, 02:59 PM)
v
Do you honestly think that by having such association, things may fall into places?

Also, I just noticed that Steve wrote than he has 6000 customers worldwide. And this was before the internet boom. WTF?! How the hell he managed to come up with such number of customers using an orthodox method. We must learn this secret from him smile.gif
notworthy.gif , but on the other hand I guess in the West they do have that amount of hobbyists to create that level of demand. We are still quite young if compared to them but nonetheless I wonder how on earth he did it without the Internet, I think without it I can only sell 2-3 Hi Yellows for the next 5-10 years sweat.gif

QUOTE(TedeN @ Jan 19 2011, 03:36 PM)
Hmm... I have not think that this is going to be easy... But when a group of members are formed, that's the purpose though...
Just like RSPO for palm oil, I just learn this idea and share, since asian country are still at a good start and I remember you saying we are no1 when it come to all kind of reptiles accept torto lol...
ie: http://www.rspo.org/?q=page/497

6000 customer worldwide and exploded the internet...
I say Malaysia Boleh!! Gecko Malaysian pun Boleh!! ^^
I've browsed through one of Philippine's top pet forums a few weeks back and I'm amazed by where they are now when it comes to leopard geckos, they have quite a number of big players and the morphs that they're producing are much similar to the US.
And their prices are really affordable, a bell het radar adult female only costs about RM800+, I bet I can't even find something like that available around here at the moment. cry.gif

QUOTE(ske @ Jan 19 2011, 03:46 PM)
My male LG stop eating suddenly...it has been almost 1 week.
His poo is very small & colour is a bit gray/greenish, instead of the usual black. Sometimes it's only the small white dot plus water.

Please help!
Yeah like some have said, what you can possibly do is deworm it if that is the cause of its loss of appetite. But 1 week off feeding is nothing surprising for me, anyhow keep monitoring the weight though.

QUOTE(echosmiles @ Jan 19 2011, 04:32 PM)
An association to govern the price for these animals just won't work (IMHO). The best is always for the customer to sort for the BEST DEALS that  suits them loving the animal they select and agreeing on the price for it.  biggrin.gif
True that, its too much work, fluctuations, etc. Even for the big sellers overseas I have not heard of any such effort to control prices. In the end its every man for himself according to how the market has adapted and evolved.

This post has been edited by IliekIZ: Jan 19 2011, 05:02 PM
IliekIZ
post Jan 19 2011, 06:52 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(Azazel @ Jan 19 2011, 06:20 PM)
I just retracted my post and I found this:
I was mainly comparing our local market with the Indonesian's. But rest assured that they are currently gaining momentum. It will be just be in a matter of time before they catch up and surpass us.

QUOTE(Isaac)
I've browsed through one of Philippine's top pet forums a few weeks back and I'm amazed by where they are now when it comes to leopard geckos, they have quite a number of big players and the morphs that they're producing are much similar to the US.
And their prices are really affordable, a bell het radar adult female only costs about RM800+, I bet I can't even find something like that available around here at the moment

I am pretty sure that the your quote is true to a certain extend. But this does not apply to all. From my observation, the morphs are priced pretty much low for the lower and intermediate end. But you rarely see some higher end animals for sale in the Pinoy pet finder.

Also, while browsing, I managed to find this:
http://philippinepetfinder.com/forum/viewt...p?f=38&t=162475

As you can see, PHP6,000 is equivalent to RM412.50. I saw the going rate for a better good quality sunglow in Malaysia to be priced lower than that (somewhere around the range of RM300 mark). I used to sell them even lower in the past (during price war which did not benefited the loser nor the winner). By the way, almost all of their sunglow bloodline do not look like a pure 100% TUG. I think the gene had been crossed out.

And as a breeder, which one of the options below you would prefer more?
1. You buy them cheap and by the time you produce, your offsprings will be dirt cheaper that it won't feel worth while to even sell them; or
2. The price do not drop much and still look as if it's about the same so that you can still make a decent profit

Last, could you list down some of the big breeders mentioned? I am still in the dark whenever the Pinoy reptile market is concerned. This is because some of them have been emailing me asking this and that regarding import and export procedures and my animals...but the amount concerned were usually too low (barely hit USD1000, let alone my minimum export amount) that I decided to ignore them. The Indonesians however is VERY different though.
I'm not too sure about how the other countries are like bro, and I used Philippines as an example seeing that the hobbyists there are having breeding projects like DBs, Raptor combos and all the Bell/Radar combos and considering the depth of the discussion they are carrying so I considered them to be big players, if I may blush.gif

And regarding pricing what I believe is that different countries/regions have different pricing of the same type of morph largely due to the supply factor. In the US what I can observe is that a juvi/subadult supersnow only costs about $75-100+ and so are raptors. Yet for a good looking sunglow or even a SHTCT they can fetch on average $100-200+? I think Sykes was also selling 1 nice hot sunglow for $500 that local breeders here can already produce that kind of quality but not fetch that kind of money perhaps due to the saturated supply/demand for the particular morph etc.

I was browsing through the same forum as you bro and this pair looked particularly cheap to me, though the quality is not that fantastic.
http://philippinepetfinder.com/forum/viewt...9194797f6723318
MSTE and Tremper enigma both het raptor for less than RM600, to be able to sell at that prices without them being bought off immediately implied two things to me. Either their market for leopards are not that big, or that they're already reaching a higher level.

Just an insight here, I may be wrong but what I can definitely say is that supply over there is more abundant if compared to the situation here smile.gif

And as a breeder, which one of the options below you would prefer more?
1. You buy them cheap and by the time you produce, your offsprings will be dirt cheaper that it won't feel worth while to even sell them; or
2. The price do not drop much and still look as if it's about the same so that you can still make a decent profit
A true breeder should always go #2 no doubt, but as far as pricing goes I believe that the prices will continue to decline but hopefully not too drastically within this 1-2 years especially for basic morphs. Like you once told me, hypo tangs here are getting more available than hi yellows. And likewise I believe morphs like Enigma, Mack Snow and Tremper albinos in its basic form will follow the same path. smile.gif
IliekIZ
post Jan 19 2011, 07:17 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(echosmiles @ Jan 19 2011, 07:14 PM)
Pricing is subjective.

To get better pricing for the animals you sell....
a) Great Genetic Combo
b) Line-Breeding
c) Unique maybe got 2 heads, 6 legs, 4 tails...something weird...oh...it has to be alive. HAHAHAHAA...
Just like fingerprints, no two geckos are the same. whistling.gif
IliekIZ
post Jan 20 2011, 12:00 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(Azazel @ Jan 19 2011, 08:18 PM)
No offense but I have been paying good money, time and energy to gather such info for almost two years. To give them out freely is just not my style. smile.gif
That's understandable la laugh.gif and like what you said, even if you said it out it might not apply to the rest equally. But appreciate the outlook from your side and also for things to come.

QUOTE(Azazel @ Jan 19 2011, 10:20 PM)
But Kurt, I may need them in about few more months from now. Just don't panic with the surpluses alright wink.gif
Hahahaha rclxms.gif I think I roughly know what this is about, really hope I can make it this year considering that it will be exam period, doh.gif
IliekIZ
post Jan 22 2011, 10:07 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(echosmiles @ Jan 22 2011, 08:21 PM)
Hmmm..from my point of view i think RM500-RM650 is reasonable. If it turns out to be a Giant it would easily cost USD500 = RM1500++ not including shipping fees. So. i guess snake eye or non snake eyes the genetics of an eclipse is what that is important.  Here is a link for reference. http://www.geckosetc.com/available_tremper...tml#GiantRAPTOR

Anyway, if it doesnt turn out to be a giant it would also cost around USD150-USD200 per eclipse...which is around RM450-620 not inclusive on shipping fees.

So, RM650 or maybe with discount RM600 is very reasonable provided the weight is good and the specimen is in very healthy condition.

(Note: Possible giant means the specimen is not fully grown so to know if it is a real giant we have to wait until it is fully grown weighing more that 110g+... there are alot of breeders that wouldn't want to wait until it is fully grown to sell giants as that would take a frikkin long time ...so they just sell em' as Possible Giants where there is a 50%-50% chance to be or not to be a giant. Reason to this is Giant genes are Co-Dominant and one of the parents is a giant so the babies have a 50%-50% chance to be a giant as it grows and mature)

Just bare in mind that an Eclipse is a recessive trait so if you've line your breeding plan accordingly you could be producing anything from Eclipse, Raptor combos, Bees, Radars, Embers...etc.

My 2 cents.

Cheers and have a great weekend guys !  tongue.gif

_________________________________________________________________________________

PS ~ Post some photos guys...I'm hunger for photos  drool.gif kekekekee....
I guess what that needs to be said has been said and Kurt that blue font of yours really reminded me of the time when I first asked you about genetics/price checking etc haha blush.gif

Looking at the Eclipse mentioned though, since it is a 66% possible het tremper I'd be cautious of using it for any Bell/Rainwater line project until it is proven to be non het for tremper smile.gif

Anyway for pictures, I got nothing fancy to show, except that I realized my snow tremper female was missing just now when I checked. After searching so hard everywhere, turns out she didn't go far after all..

wink.gif

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0283sec    0.29    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:15 AM