The battle begins here .
It's 2011 . The future . Let's face this PMR thing , no sweat . Discuss whatever you like that concerns PMR only . Tips, study guides , experiences , senior lectures , revision notes , books , etc .
When ? :
4-6 October 2011,
10 - 11 October 2011 (5 days)
Time Table ( PDF )
PMR Candidates :
1. maximR ( SMK Raja Jumaat , Negeri Sembilan )
2. TechnoG ( SMK Damansara Jaya, Selangor )
3. Stuffi ( SMK Kwang Hua, Selangor )
4. MonfereBlogspot ( SMK Seri Bintang Utara , Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur )
8 . kenpachi ( SMK Taman Sea , Selangor )
9 . rifaatx
10 . PoPoBear ( SMK Bandar Sunway )
11 . xCALLUM ( SMK Jit Sin , Pulau Pinang )
12 . pziv2 (SMK SS17 , Selangor)
13 . Boy96
14 . victorian (SMK Victoria , Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur )
15 . flamemusic ( Chung Ling Butterworth High School, Pulau Pinang )
16 . Milk20
17 . dongqh608 ( SMK Subang Utama, Selangor )
18 . xDarkKnightx
19 . #Fly ( SMK Sri KDU, Selangor )
20 . gamer_ayam (SMKA Dato' Haji Abu Hassan Haji Said)
21 . 5p3ak (SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (4) )
Some infos :
For those of you who still don't know how many subjects ( main ones ) , I will list it here :
Kemahiran Hidup Bersepadu ( KT , PT , PK , ERT )
REFERENCE BOOK RECOMMENDATION
1 . Science
For Science , you want to get a reference book with explanations and syllabus covered almost similar , or 100% similar to the textbook . Why ? Some reference books provide definitions with their own terms and explanations and this ends up confusing some students who use those reference books . So , you would want to avoid those . Here are some suggestions for a solid, information packed ref book for Science :
A ) SUCCESS Science PMR by Oxford Fajar
- This is by far the creme of the crop , the benchmark of all Science reference books . Trust me . I own about 3 different Science reference books ( different publishers and I can say that it is truly all you need for Science . The info in it are similar to the textbook as the authors are the line of Science KBSM textbook authors . Even the diagrams are similar to those in the textbook . Personally, I really like this book , it has coloured pages too to help you revise . Diagrams and tables are top-notch . Recommended .
B ) SCIENCE PMR by Pelangi
- Another good one . If you don't like SUCCESS's way of explanation and the way they design/layout their books , you may want to consider getting this . Pelangi changes the name every year ( Focus 2 U , Focus Ace , etc ) so I didn't state the title of the reference book . Just make sure it is by Pelangi , and flip thru the book . I can say that it is almost as good as SUCCESS , but I like their diagrams more . It's a matter of preference actually . Recommended .
C ) ESSENTIAL SCIENCE PMR by Longman
- If all the choices above fails you , then you might want to consider this . Also in the top of the list , this book is jam packed with tons of info and diagrams . Explanations are clear , and straight to the point . Diagrams are attractive . Page layout is attractive . Very reliable Science reference book . Though , one thing to take note , they add in a lot of info that are not in the textbook , which to me doesn't serve any better for a student because PMR is based on the textbook . But , in the 2010 PMR Science examination , a question on plant reproduction came out based on this ref book , and it wasn't found in the textbook ! So , getting extra knowledge isn't that bad after all . Reccomended .
So there you have it , a list I compiled for Science . There are many more ref books out there , you might want to check them out in the bookstore and flip thru them , to get an idea of how they present it and see if you like it . Publishers like Pan Asia , Cerdik , Eastview and Sasbadi are also worth to consider . Sasbadi used to be very good , back then , when SC and Math were still in BM . When GOV changed the system to English , their books are getting more and more less worth it because the syllabus covered is way way off the textbook . Experiments are based on the author's own list of experiments , and not found in the textbook ( not all ) . So , you might want to remember this too .
A ) SUCCESS Mathematics PMR by Oxford Fajar
- Without a doubt , the best reference book for Math . Do I need to explain more ? No . Explanations are clear , everything you need to know is inside , show workings , textbook authors , all the formulas inside , great layout , tons of past year questions ( even dating back to PMR 1993 ! ) for every chapter , tons of exercises , great answers ( haven't found a mistake since using it from Form 1 ) . Recommended .
B ) Mathematics PMR by Pelangi
- For those who anti-Oxford Fajar who are Pelangi fans , this book is for you . Similar to SUCCESS in terms of reliability . No need further explanation . Get it .
And a list of more ref books for Math in the market , waiting for you . For Math , you don't need to worry about the similarity to the textbook , because Math is all about application of what you have learnt , and a ref book is just a guide for you to solve Math problems in PMR . Many people say that you don't need a ref book for Math , waste of money , waste of space, but if you feel you need to understand something before able to solve the problems , a ref book is way to go . Get the ideas right , familiarise yourself with the formulas and apply it when solving problems . Do tons and tons of exercises , you'll be pro in no time . So , if you feel there are better ones in the bookstore and not what I have listed above, get it . No regrets .
3 . Geografi
A ) Nexus Geografi PMR ( Pendekatan Gambar Rajah dan Peta ) by Sasbadi
- Compared to other subjects , one of Sasbadi's reliable reference books are their Geografi reference books ! They have two versions , one is the thick , normal one and another is the one I mentioned above . Choose the version I stated above , much much thinner and packed with straight to the point info , only those which come out in PMR is in the book , and they even label every points with PMR year ( year which the points come out in PMR ) , so you can see which chapters or points are important in PMR . They have really good maps with all the info you'll ever need for PMR . I can revise the whole form 1 chapter in a day , since they arranged it in a very light and easy to follow manner . Filled with many many diagrams and pictures , so you won't get bored studying ! Only thing is , the book is arranged according to TEMA , not chapters according to Form , so you might want to get used to that . Recommended !
B ) SUCCESS GEOGRAFI PMR by Oxford Fajar
- Contains everything , from A-Z , contains everything from the KBSM textbooks . Though , for Geografi , this is not necessarily a good thing . Geografi requires concise notes and maps, straight to the point notes and no further elaboration . But since SUCCESS is famous for it's complete and reliable method of writing reference books , you get this . This title of reference book is more popular than the Sasbadi version , ( most of my seniors , juniors , friends ) have it . Strong points of this ref book are really good maps and diagrams ( Oxford Fajar's 50 years of publication experience helps in compiling and creating many great diagrams over the years ) , coloured pages , free pocket note , good exercises , great PMR question highlights and their extensive notes and elaboration . So , it is quite thick . You really can't go wrong with it , although for me , I like books with straight to the point notes for Geografi , really helps me understand and do my revision . For people who don't mind all of these , get this book . Equal in performance with the Sasbadi one .
C ) Geografi PMR by Pelangi
- This is almost similar with the Oxford Fajar's version but I prefer Pelangi's one . Somehow , I like their clean layout and attractive hand drawn diagrams . Maps are good too . Although not straight to the point as in Sasbadi's version , it has everything you need to know for PMR Geografi . Some maps and diagrams ( for example the kaedah perikanan ) I photostated from my friend's Pelangi book and filed them for future reference as they are better than Sasbadi's and SUCCESS's diagrams . Pelangi are experienced in producing ref books too , so you can't go wrong with this . Get it .
There are many more GEO ref books in the market . Depends on personal preference . If you think you don't need ref books, you can read short notes instead if you can find them . No harm . Cemerlang , a publisher has short notes ( compact , mini ref book ) that they produce for Geografi and other subjects . You might want to check them out . Also good , which I have read , are Pan Asia's Geografi ref book . Almost similar to Pelangi . GEO is really an interesting subject, so have fun choosing your type of reference material !
4 . Sejarah
- Before reading on , you might want to skip this part . Why ? Well , textbooks are all you need to revise for Sejarah . They are 110 % reliable . If you have textbooks from Form 1-3 , read them ! If you can borrow from your seniors or juniors , by all means , get them ! Reference books are shortened version of Sejarah textbooks , they merely change them to point form so you can revise them better. I agree that SEJ textbooks are quite messy , points are scattered but it is worth the read , trust me . Read and understand completely a chapter in the textbook , reread them in short notes or ref books, then do exercises/past year questions . Easier for you to familiarise with a chapter .
A ) SUCCESS Sejarah by Oxford Fajar
- Yes , Oxford Fajar again . I can't seem to find a better reference book other than this for Sejarah . This is almost complete compared to the textbook , I say almost . One small little fault with it , I've seen is their explanation / elaboration for certain keywords . Take for example , Koa Kunrenjo . Textbook defines them as people who can get a job in pentadbiran awam but SUCCESS leaks out a words , which is only pentadbiran . Small mistake , but this will cost you because some questions , they really want you to choose a definition which suits the textbook . But , in PMR there won't be such chapters , so you are safe , if you don't have textbooks and want to use this to revise instead . They have really , really good pictures and flowcharts , take for example chapter 4 Form 1 , about how Melaka was formed , they presented it in a comic form with coloured pages , in a few pages you can finish the chapter . This is just great for me . Even for chapter 2 Form 1 , Zaman Prasejarah di Malaysia , they explained the zaman in a similar style but not in full colour . If you need a ref book for SEJ , get this .
B ) Sejarah PMR by Pelangi
- Quite good , since the points are in numbered form , easier for you to read through . Less diagrams . Compact . Can finish a chapter quite easily using this ref book since they cut down unnecessary elaborations ( this is not always good for Sejarah , you need all the elaborations when studying for Sejarah ) . Has a cloned archive of PMR questions . Some of the elaborations / sentence are cut down and changed to different forms ( the author want to change to simpler ayat) than the ones in the textbook . Get this if you have already read the textbook and understood them fully before using this book to revise .
- Sidenotes : Also worth to check out is Longman's Essential Sejarah PMR . Quite good . Avoid Sasbadi's one , because many of the points are by the author and not found in the textbook . Sorry Sasbadi , I really like the extra infos and great extra diagrams that your team has put in , but it just doesn't work for Sejarah .
It is generally advisable by many students , not to use ref books for Sejarah and read the textbook instead. This , I agree wholeheartedly but in one case , my ex Ketua Pengawas , SPM candidate 2010 , only relied on Longman's reference book for Sejarah and he never read the textbook ( he said he hated the messiness of the textbook ) and got A+ for Sejarah . Coincidence , luck , or what ? Think for yourself , and ask yourself if you need extra books for Sejarah .
Some good websites :
Koleksi Kertas Peperiksaan
Science PMR 2011
Bahasa Melayu [ Good Resource ]
More trial papers
Trial Paper Collection ( Recommended )
All PMR candidates , you can attend the event , PMR , on Facebook !
PMR 2011 Facebook
Most importantly , no stress and have fun facing the challenge !
This post has been edited by maximR: Sep 28 2011, 10:52 AM
PMR 2011, The battle begins here .