Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> PMR 2011, The battle begins here .

maximR
post Dec 25 2010, 09:49 PM

Remember who you are
Group: Senior Member

PMR

The battle begins here .

It's 2011 . The future . Let's face this PMR thing , no sweat . Discuss whatever you like that concerns PMR only . Tips, study guides , experiences , senior lectures , revision notes , books , etc .

When ? :

4-6 October 2011,
10 - 11 October 2011 (5 days)

TIME TABLE

Time Table ( PDF )

PMR Candidates :

1. maximR ( SMK Raja Jumaat , Negeri Sembilan )
2. TechnoG ( SMK Damansara Jaya, Selangor )
3. Stuffi ( SMK Kwang Hua, Selangor )
4. MonfereBlogspot ( SMK Seri Bintang Utara , Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur )
5. YMlubsweets96
6. bayanbaru
7. yasushi2011
8 . kenpachi ( SMK Taman Sea , Selangor )
9 . rifaatx
10 . PoPoBear ( SMK Bandar Sunway )
11 . xCALLUM ( SMK Jit Sin , Pulau Pinang )
12 . pziv2 (SMK SS17 , Selangor)
13 . Boy96
14 . victorian (SMK Victoria , Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur )
15 . flamemusic ( Chung Ling Butterworth High School, Pulau Pinang )
16 . Milk20
17 . dongqh608 ( SMK Subang Utama, Selangor )
18 . xDarkKnightx
19 . #Fly ( SMK Sri KDU, Selangor )
20 . gamer_ayam (SMKA Dato' Haji Abu Hassan Haji Said)
21 . 5p3ak (SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (4) )

Some infos :

For those of you who still don't know how many subjects ( main ones ) , I will list it here :

Bahasa Melayu
English
Science
Geography
Sejarah
Bahasa Cina
Bahasa Tamil
Mathematics
Kemahiran Hidup Bersepadu ( KT , PT , PK , ERT )

KERJA KURSUS

History
Geography

REFERENCE BOOK RECOMMENDATION

1 . Science

For Science , you want to get a reference book with explanations and syllabus covered almost similar , or 100% similar to the textbook . Why ? Some reference books provide definitions with their own terms and explanations and this ends up confusing some students who use those reference books . So , you would want to avoid those . Here are some suggestions for a solid, information packed ref book for Science :

A ) SUCCESS Science PMR by Oxford Fajar

- This is by far the creme of the crop , the benchmark of all Science reference books . Trust me . I own about 3 different Science reference books ( different publishers and I can say that it is truly all you need for Science . The info in it are similar to the textbook as the authors are the line of Science KBSM textbook authors . Even the diagrams are similar to those in the textbook . Personally, I really like this book , it has coloured pages too to help you revise . Diagrams and tables are top-notch . Recommended . thumbup.gif

B ) SCIENCE PMR by Pelangi

- Another good one . If you don't like SUCCESS's way of explanation and the way they design/layout their books , you may want to consider getting this . Pelangi changes the name every year ( Focus 2 U , Focus Ace , etc ) so I didn't state the title of the reference book . Just make sure it is by Pelangi , and flip thru the book . I can say that it is almost as good as SUCCESS , but I like their diagrams more . It's a matter of preference actually . Recommended . thumbup.gif

C ) ESSENTIAL SCIENCE PMR by Longman

- If all the choices above fails you , then you might want to consider this . Also in the top of the list , this book is jam packed with tons of info and diagrams . Explanations are clear , and straight to the point . Diagrams are attractive . Page layout is attractive . Very reliable Science reference book . Though , one thing to take note , they add in a lot of info that are not in the textbook , which to me doesn't serve any better for a student because PMR is based on the textbook . But , in the 2010 PMR Science examination , a question on plant reproduction came out based on this ref book , and it wasn't found in the textbook ! nod.gif So , getting extra knowledge isn't that bad after all . Reccomended . thumbup.gif

So there you have it , a list I compiled for Science . There are many more ref books out there , you might want to check them out in the bookstore and flip thru them , to get an idea of how they present it and see if you like it . Publishers like Pan Asia , Cerdik , Eastview and Sasbadi are also worth to consider . Sasbadi used to be very good , back then , when SC and Math were still in BM . When GOV changed the system to English , their books are getting more and more less worth it because the syllabus covered is way way off the textbook . Experiments are based on the author's own list of experiments , and not found in the textbook ( not all ) . So , you might want to remember this too .

2. Mathematics

A ) SUCCESS Mathematics PMR by Oxford Fajar

- Without a doubt , the best reference book for Math . Do I need to explain more ? No . whistling.gif Explanations are clear , everything you need to know is inside , show workings , textbook authors , all the formulas inside , great layout , tons of past year questions ( even dating back to PMR 1993 ! ) for every chapter , tons of exercises , great answers ( haven't found a mistake since using it from Form 1 ) . Recommended . thumbup.gif

B ) Mathematics PMR by Pelangi

- For those who anti-Oxford Fajar who are Pelangi fans , this book is for you . tongue.gif Similar to SUCCESS in terms of reliability . No need further explanation . Get it . thumbup.gif

And a list of more ref books for Math in the market , waiting for you . For Math , you don't need to worry about the similarity to the textbook , because Math is all about application of what you have learnt , and a ref book is just a guide for you to solve Math problems in PMR . Many people say that you don't need a ref book for Math , waste of money , waste of space, but if you feel you need to understand something before able to solve the problems , a ref book is way to go . Get the ideas right , familiarise yourself with the formulas and apply it when solving problems . Do tons and tons of exercises , you'll be pro in no time . So , if you feel there are better ones in the bookstore and not what I have listed above, get it . No regrets .

3 . Geografi

A ) Nexus Geografi PMR ( Pendekatan Gambar Rajah dan Peta ) by Sasbadi

- Compared to other subjects , one of Sasbadi's reliable reference books are their Geografi reference books ! They have two versions , one is the thick , normal one and another is the one I mentioned above . Choose the version I stated above , much much thinner and packed with straight to the point info , only those which come out in PMR is in the book , and they even label every points with PMR year ( year which the points come out in PMR ) , so you can see which chapters or points are important in PMR . They have really good maps with all the info you'll ever need for PMR . I can revise the whole form 1 chapter in a day , since they arranged it in a very light and easy to follow manner . Filled with many many diagrams and pictures , so you won't get bored studying ! Only thing is , the book is arranged according to TEMA , not chapters according to Form , so you might want to get used to that . Recommended ! thumbup.gif

B ) SUCCESS GEOGRAFI PMR by Oxford Fajar

- Contains everything , from A-Z , contains everything from the KBSM textbooks . Though , for Geografi , this is not necessarily a good thing . Geografi requires concise notes and maps, straight to the point notes and no further elaboration . But since SUCCESS is famous for it's complete and reliable method of writing reference books , you get this . This title of reference book is more popular than the Sasbadi version , ( most of my seniors , juniors , friends ) have it . Strong points of this ref book are really good maps and diagrams ( Oxford Fajar's 50 years of publication experience helps in compiling and creating many great diagrams over the years ) , coloured pages , free pocket note , good exercises , great PMR question highlights and their extensive notes and elaboration . So , it is quite thick . You really can't go wrong with it , although for me , I like books with straight to the point notes for Geografi , really helps me understand and do my revision . For people who don't mind all of these , get this book . Equal in performance with the Sasbadi one .

C ) Geografi PMR by Pelangi

- This is almost similar with the Oxford Fajar's version but I prefer Pelangi's one . Somehow , I like their clean layout and attractive hand drawn diagrams . Maps are good too . Although not straight to the point as in Sasbadi's version , it has everything you need to know for PMR Geografi . Some maps and diagrams ( for example the kaedah perikanan ) I photostated from my friend's Pelangi book and filed them for future reference as they are better than Sasbadi's and SUCCESS's diagrams . Pelangi are experienced in producing ref books too , so you can't go wrong with this . Get it .

There are many more GEO ref books in the market . Depends on personal preference . If you think you don't need ref books, you can read short notes instead if you can find them . No harm . Cemerlang , a publisher has short notes ( compact , mini ref book ) that they produce for Geografi and other subjects . You might want to check them out . Also good , which I have read , are Pan Asia's Geografi ref book . Almost similar to Pelangi . GEO is really an interesting subject, so have fun choosing your type of reference material !

4 . Sejarah

- Before reading on , you might want to skip this part . Why ? Well , textbooks are all you need to revise for Sejarah . They are 110 % reliable . If you have textbooks from Form 1-3 , read them ! If you can borrow from your seniors or juniors , by all means , get them ! Reference books are shortened version of Sejarah textbooks , they merely change them to point form so you can revise them better. I agree that SEJ textbooks are quite messy , points are scattered but it is worth the read , trust me . Read and understand completely a chapter in the textbook , reread them in short notes or ref books, then do exercises/past year questions . Easier for you to familiarise with a chapter .

A ) SUCCESS Sejarah by Oxford Fajar

- Yes , Oxford Fajar again . I can't seem to find a better reference book other than this for Sejarah . This is almost complete compared to the textbook , I say almost . One small little fault with it , I've seen is their explanation / elaboration for certain keywords . Take for example , Koa Kunrenjo . Textbook defines them as people who can get a job in pentadbiran awam but SUCCESS leaks out a words , which is only pentadbiran . Small mistake , but this will cost you because some questions , they really want you to choose a definition which suits the textbook . But , in PMR there won't be such chapters , so you are safe , if you don't have textbooks and want to use this to revise instead . They have really , really good pictures and flowcharts , take for example chapter 4 Form 1 , about how Melaka was formed , they presented it in a comic form with coloured pages , in a few pages you can finish the chapter . This is just great for me . Even for chapter 2 Form 1 , Zaman Prasejarah di Malaysia , they explained the zaman in a similar style but not in full colour . If you need a ref book for SEJ , get this .

B ) Sejarah PMR by Pelangi

- Quite good , since the points are in numbered form , easier for you to read through . Less diagrams . Compact . Can finish a chapter quite easily using this ref book since they cut down unnecessary elaborations ( this is not always good for Sejarah , you need all the elaborations when studying for Sejarah ) . Has a cloned archive of PMR questions . Some of the elaborations / sentence are cut down and changed to different forms ( the author want to change to simpler ayat) than the ones in the textbook . Get this if you have already read the textbook and understood them fully before using this book to revise .

- Sidenotes : Also worth to check out is Longman's Essential Sejarah PMR . Quite good . Avoid Sasbadi's one , because many of the points are by the author and not found in the textbook . Sorry Sasbadi , I really like the extra infos and great extra diagrams that your team has put in , but it just doesn't work for Sejarah .
It is generally advisable by many students , not to use ref books for Sejarah and read the textbook instead. This , I agree wholeheartedly but in one case , my ex Ketua Pengawas , SPM candidate 2010 , only relied on Longman's reference book for Sejarah and he never read the textbook ( he said he hated the messiness of the textbook ) and got A+ for Sejarah . Coincidence , luck , or what ? Think for yourself , and ask yourself if you need extra books for Sejarah .

Some good websites :

Koleksi Kertas Peperiksaan
Science PMR 2011
Bahasa Melayu [ Good Resource ]
More trial papers
Trial Paper Collection ( Recommended )

All PMR candidates , you can attend the event , PMR , on Facebook ! biggrin.gif

PMR 2011 Facebook

Most importantly , no stress and have fun facing the challenge !

This post has been edited by maximR: Sep 28 2011, 10:52 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jj_glimpsedream
post Dec 25 2010, 11:06 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Don't you think its kinda early to create this topic?

Lol - get your Form 3 books and start reviewing it first ~

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you too smile.gif

This post has been edited by jj_glimpsedream: Dec 25 2010, 11:06 PM
+Quote Post
Andyzz
post Dec 26 2010, 12:24 AM

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

QUOTE(jj_glimpsedream @ Dec 25 2010, 11:06 PM)
Don't you think its kinda early to create this topic?

Lol - get your Form 3 books and start reviewing it first ~

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you too smile.gif
TS is a long planner smile.gif
+Quote Post
MrPuppy
post Dec 26 2010, 12:26 AM

TS early bird wan to catch worm ady mah biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
johnkia
post Dec 26 2010, 01:23 AM

Getting Started

they should abolish pmr faster a bit so that there wont be people discussing and worried bout this useless examination
+Quote Post
fastreader
post Dec 26 2010, 10:28 AM

get ur foundation for the Form 1 and form 2 rite..then u got nothing to worry about pmr
+Quote Post
maximR
post Jan 3 2011, 06:48 PM

Remember who you are

It begins now ... rclxms.gif
+Quote Post
starz92
post Jan 3 2011, 08:21 PM

Enthusiast

Lols,still early><.Relax..xD.But make sure you got some solid foundation for form 1 and 2...haha..all the best
+Quote Post
TechnoG
post Jan 3 2011, 08:27 PM

Lifelines. <3

ahaha. Hope that the Minister abolish PMR in the last minute!
anyway, sitting for PMR this year, hell man sad.gif
+Quote Post
maximR
post Jan 3 2011, 09:04 PM

Remember who you are

QUOTE(TechnoG @ Jan 3 2011, 08:27 PM)
ahaha. Hope that the Minister abolish PMR in the last minute!
anyway, sitting for PMR this year, hell man sad.gif
Haha , so we're on the same train . I don't think the government will abolish it last minute la , coz they said only 2016 no PMR . But anyways , what to do ? Just face it . smile.gif

Added on January 3, 2011, 9:04 pm
QUOTE(starz92 @ Jan 3 2011, 08:21 PM)
Lols,still early><.Relax..xD.But make sure you got some solid foundation for form 1 and 2...haha..all the best
Yes, but I'm a wee bit worried. Don't know why . You're a senior ?

This post has been edited by maximR: Jan 3 2011, 09:04 PM
+Quote Post
starz92
post Jan 3 2011, 09:27 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(maximR @ Jan 3 2011, 09:04 PM)

Added on January 3, 2011, 9:04 pm

Yes, but I'm a wee bit worried. Don't know why . You're a senior ?
make sure u do enough exercise then shouldn't be a problem d.Try to complete all exercises available in the market .xD
Since PMR consist mostly of MCQ,the probability of the question repeating itself is quite high.And yea,i took my PMR 3 years ago smile.gif
+Quote Post
dwin95
post Jan 3 2011, 11:51 PM

Regular

At first I'm also like you , panic2 , then during pmr time only know it's damn easy . I just scored 5a with only my 2 weeks of last Minute revision so chill smile.gif
+Quote Post
SihamZhai
post Jan 4 2011, 01:01 AM

Green Droid Lover

Go tuition, listen to tuition teacher, wait soalan bocor or spotted question.. this is what is happening to our students nowadays. Go to higher education, they suffer..

Student consistently, listen to teacher, don go tuition, do self revision... confirm straight A's
+Quote Post
TechnoG
post Jan 4 2011, 02:35 PM

Lifelines. <3

QUOTE(maximR @ Jan 3 2011, 09:04 PM)
Haha , so we're on the same train . I don't think the government will abolish it last minute la , coz they said only 2016 no PMR . But anyways , what to do ? Just face it . smile.gif
mmhmm.
about the 2016 thing, why didn't it happen this year instead? sad.gif

In school, those teachers keep telling us(more like spamming) us to study hard for PMR, but I don't even feel a thing. Do you? and I always think that PMR is bullshit hard, but in my school, more than half of the current Form 4 student got straight As doh.gif
+Quote Post
Stuffi
post Jan 4 2011, 07:15 PM

Orchid Malevolence.

Reporting in !
+Quote Post
maximR
post Jan 5 2011, 08:59 PM

Remember who you are

I don't go for tuition . I study on my own . I'm a bit under pressure because my school listed me as "pelajar harapan" to get straight As for PMR . Then today the Pengetua met us and started asking about my plans la , my time table la .... I told him I don't have time table and I study when I had my rest and when I return home from school , I need to sleep for a few hours .

He was surprised . biggrin.gif

I don't know why they are pressuring us , just because it could make the school's name better in Negeri Sembilan . :/

Added on January 5, 2011, 9:02 pm
QUOTE(TechnoG @ Jan 4 2011, 02:35 PM)
mmhmm.
about the 2016 thing, why didn't it happen this year instead? sad.gif

In school, those teachers keep telling us(more like spamming) us to study hard for PMR, but I don't even feel a thing. Do you? and I always think that PMR is bullshit hard, but in my school, more than half of the current Form 4 student got straight As doh.gif
I do feel something . I want to achieve straight As . Because that's the best I can do this year . And , I want to enter Science stream . icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by maximR: Jan 5 2011, 09:02 PM
+Quote Post
TechnoG
post Jan 6 2011, 08:58 PM

Lifelines. <3

mmhmm. Pelajar Harapan, then what about other "non-pelajar harapan" students? tongue.gif I don't go for tutiton too, neither those PMR or whateva crappy talks.

My school only allows students that get 6A at their PMR to enter Science stream. But anyway, I'm not really keen to get pure science. Maybe sub science will do wink.gif

Your secondary school is in Negeri Sembilan? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by TechnoG: Jan 6 2011, 08:59 PM
+Quote Post
iRadiation
post Jan 6 2011, 09:13 PM

Post-rock junkie

Honestly, not to brag but, you don't need tuition to score straight As in PMR. Just study regularly and don't sleep in class every single day, then you should be fine.

Although, I feel the standard nowadays is quite low. During my year they set the bar, so that only students with 5As and above (BM / BI / Maths and Science must be A) are qualified to enter science stream.

Manatau 41 out of 300 people got straight As for PMR that year. doh.gif

Even one of my friend who failed his Maths / Science and got a C+ for his English during trials, he got 8As. shakehead.gif

This post has been edited by iRadiation: Jan 6 2011, 09:15 PM
+Quote Post
Stuffi
post Jan 6 2011, 09:44 PM

Orchid Malevolence.

Why your headmaster so desperate ?
LOL
+Quote Post
bb100
post Jan 6 2011, 11:23 PM

Editable...finally!

QUOTE(dwin95 @ Jan 3 2011, 11:51 PM)
At first I'm also like you , panic2 , then during pmr time only know it's damn easy . I just scored 5a with only my 2 weeks of last Minute revision so chill smile.gif
Yo, my fellow friend!

You are polluting the minds of the young ones here.

As far as I know, last minute preparations do not always work.

Maybe lady luck was on your side that particular year.

Or maybe what you studied came out exactly in the exams.

I can speculate whatever I want.

The bottomline is that prepare early, get yourself in the right mood, and everything will come naturally.

By the way, I am a final year engineering degree student.

And I think I am more than qualified to pass comments like that.

Cheers, mates...

This post has been edited by bb100: Jan 6 2011, 11:25 PM
+Quote Post

125 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Bump TopicClosed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0650sec    0.41    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 04:16 AM