Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Stem Cell

views

moorish
post Dec 22 2010, 08:57 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 22 2010, 08:15 PM)
They also says not so many, so I wan to know why are you so sure have 60? hmm.gif
60 is what I could recall, if you wanna be sure why not you call them or do a search online yourself?

can I be clear what you're implying?
are you saying you are
not satisfied with the company you've park your baby's stem cell?
or
You're not a believer of parking stemcell and you've regretted for your action?

Added on December 22, 2010, 9:27 pmJust a quick google search and

http://stemcellresearchnews.net/Diseases_Treated.aspx

What diseases can be treated using stem cells?

Cord blood stem cell transplants have already changed—and saved—thousands of lives around the world. They have already been used to treat more than 75 diseases, including numerous types of malignancies, anemia's, inherited metabolic disorders and deficiencies of the immune system.
Acute Leukemia:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
2 years ago I could recall 60 medical conditions, now since we're in the topic I was curious and did another search and the numbers now reads 75. And its not counting injury like spinal cord, knee cap and so on.

another interesting explanation on stem cell usage:

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 24 2010, 10:29 AM
DarkNite
post Dec 23 2010, 08:29 AM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
11,040 posts

Why should I trust a site that is marketing & promoting storage of stem cells?

Here are more info for a better perspective on Stem Cell treatment. Use your own judgment on which sites are more credible.
Top Ten Things to Know About Stem Cell Treatments
Patient Handbook on Stem Cell Therapies >> http://www.isscr.org/clinical_trans/pdfs/I...entHandbook.pdf
Your health shouldn’t be in the hands of a salesman
Patient in Thailand Dies From Treatment From Own Stem Cells

Bottom-line : Always ask your medical doctor for advice on what is ACTUALLY available and to wat extent & cost is the 'cure'.

*Is that so called 'cure' experimental or just alleviate the condition or really 100% cure?

*Also so far the chance of you using the stuff is 0.03%, and in seeking a cure you may have to raise additional fund or buy additional insurance (doubt anyone would sell you by then)

This post has been edited by DarkNite: Jan 1 2011, 10:58 AM
moorish
post Dec 23 2010, 10:30 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 23 2010, 08:29 AM)
Why should I trust a site that is marketing & promoting storage of stem cells?
As mention many times, do your own research. you still hvnt answered me, where do you actually stand?

We've already passed the time where we question what can you do with your babys cord blood, stem cell treatment are very real and its no scifi movie, its already happening.

As I've told you many times, throw away your babys blood cord if you dun like the idea. Isnt it simple?

Or you may ask yourself this, why is countries like US and most of develop countries has a public blood cord banking and store all their citizens cord blood?

Malaysia has a cord blood banking but you must deliver your baby at GH, anywhere else you need to store it privately or throw it away.

A simple calculation for you to consider:

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 23 2010, 10:43 AM
TSgkl83
post Dec 23 2010, 12:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 22 2010, 08:57 PM)
can I be clear what you're implying?
are you saying you are
not satisfied with the company you've park your baby's stem cell?
or
You're not a believer of parking stemcell and you've regretted for your action?

i just want to understand why company have the right to use our stem cell even though we paid for their service...
the clause is from the agreement... need to understand more before any sign up...

anyway, as my opinion use vehicles as example, storing stem cell vehicles equipped with Air Bag / Anti-lock Brake System and hence with accident insurance for personal as well... for in case accidents happened, Air Bag / ABS system may save our life even though managed to claim compensate/medical fees from insurance company, no point to claim compensate/medical fees if dead... for those very careful driver, Air Bag / ABS system will be useless since the probability of accidents will be quite low... but still most of modern vehicles must equipped with this system for unpredictable incidents...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 23 2010, 01:13 PM
moorish
post Dec 23 2010, 10:31 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 23 2010, 12:05 PM)
i just want to understand why company have the right to use our stem cell even though we paid for their service...
the clause is from the agreement... need to understand more before any sign up...

No they do not have the rights to use our stem cell, we can sue them kao kao if they do.

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 23 2010, 12:05 PM)

anyway, as my opinion use vehicles as example, storing stem cell vehicles equipped with Air Bag / Anti-lock Brake System and hence with accident insurance for personal as well... for in case accidents happened, Air Bag / ABS system may save our life even though managed to claim compensate/medical fees from insurance company, no point to claim compensate/medical fees if dead... for those very careful driver, Air Bag / ABS system will be useless since the probability of accidents will be quite low... but still most of modern vehicles must equipped with this system for unpredictable incidents...
In singapore you dun have to store stem cell privately, they've a national cord banking free for all their citizen, in malaysia we have to take care of ourselves, gomen dun provide this service.

TSgkl83
post Dec 24 2010, 10:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 23 2010, 10:31 PM)
No they do not have the rights to use our stem cell, we can sue them kao kao if they do.
In singapore you dun have to store stem cell privately, they've a national cord banking free for all their citizen, in malaysia we have to take care of ourselves, gomen dun provide this service.

bcos i see the agreement showing the clause and no write in detail why they want to do so...

as heard singapore having high taxation for variety future benefits (such as local KWSP and SOSCO), maybe part of taxation used for medical usage (store stem cells) as well... maybe malaysia due to low taxation and improper arrangement for the funds...
moorish
post Dec 24 2010, 10:28 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 24 2010, 10:18 AM)
bcos i see the agreement showing the clause and no write in detail why they want to do so...

as heard singapore having high taxation for variety future benefits (such as local KWSP and SOSCO), maybe part of taxation used for medical usage (store stem cells) as well... maybe malaysia due to low taxation and improper arrangement for the funds...
I think it meant they can sub the cryo to a third party, means stemlife is main contractor, 3rd party company dealing in cryo storage.
auhckw
post Dec 28 2010, 09:31 AM

Regular
1,008 posts

We took Stem Cell knowing the chances are slim that it may be useful.

Slim chances is still hope when there is need for it which we hope the day won't come.

If one can afford, the slim chance is still something. In a way, stem cell is like insurance.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Stem Cell or anybody working with Stem Cell.
dirsly
post Dec 28 2010, 10:47 AM

Safe Trader
1,426 posts

hi all.
in case of stem cell from my perspective.
is only option to cure disease rather than use third party chemical thing[example pills, laser and so on]
side effect by using those option is confirm whereby if u use stem cell there is no side effect because we are using our own life cell and is totally great.

Syd G
post Dec 28 2010, 10:56 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,023 posts

QUOTE(dirsly @ Dec 28 2010, 10:47 AM)
hi all.
in case of stem cell from my perspective.
is only option to cure disease rather than use third party chemical thing[example pills, laser and so on]
side effect by using those option is confirm whereby if u use stem cell there is no side effect because we are using our own life cell and is totally great.
the current chance statistics on using own cell from one of the company is is 0.03%

moorish
post Dec 28 2010, 11:08 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 28 2010, 10:56 AM)
the current chance statistics on using own cell from one of the company is is 0.03%
If whole of malaysia citizen parked their stem cell and 0.03% chances of using then I would agree the use of stem cell is quite small.

I think last I heard was less than 10,000 ppl park their stem cell and more than 60% are new born babies, plus the technology of stemcell is limited to around 70 or 80 disease.

So your statistic should not use to discourage ppl from parking stem cell, tell me what if one day a good friend of yours actually listen to your advise and his baby kena some kinda disease that needs stem cell to survive?

Syd G
post Dec 28 2010, 11:17 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,023 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 28 2010, 11:08 AM)
If whole of malaysia citizen parked their stem cell and 0.03% chances of using then I would agree the use of stem cell is quite small.

I think last I heard was less than 10,000 ppl park their stem cell and more than 60% are new born babies, plus the technology of stemcell is limited to around 70 or 80 disease.

So your statistic should not use to discourage ppl from parking stem cell, tell me what if one day a good friend of yours actually listen to your advise and his baby kena some kinda disease that needs stem cell to survive?
Not discourage, inform smile.gif

I prefer people make their own informed decisions instead of fear marketing.
auhckw
post Dec 28 2010, 11:23 AM

Regular
1,008 posts

Based on their marketing talk, they are still doing research on what they can harvest out of the stem cells. So, we wont' know what they can get it out in the future.

How true? We won't know. And frankly, I hope I don't need to know.

This post has been edited by auhckw: Dec 28 2010, 11:24 AM
DarkNite
post Dec 28 2010, 11:43 AM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
11,040 posts

QUOTE(dirsly @ Dec 28 2010, 10:47 AM)
.....side effect by using those option is confirm whereby if u use stem cell there is no side effect because we are using our own life cell and is totally great.
Not 100% true.

A woman with kidney disease has died after receiving an experimental stem cell treatment at a private clinic in Thailand, and a postmortem examination of her kidneys revealed that the treatment was almost certainly responsible for her death.
The woman suffered from lupus nephritis, a disease in which the immune system attacks the kidneys. When medications no longer controlled her disease, she went to a still-unnamed clinic in Bangkok where doctors said they could treat her disease using stem cells drawn from her own bone marrow.
See report below >>
http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/early/...111156.abstract
Some reports suggest that autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation holds potential for treatment of renal diseases such as lupus nephritis, but the safety of delivering various stem cell types (hematopoietic, mesenchymal, and endothelial precursors) is not well established. Here, we report a case of lupus nephritis treated by direct renal injection of autologous stem cells recovered from peripheral blood. The patient developed masses at the sites of injection and hematuria. We suspected transitional cell carcinoma but nephrectomy revealed that the masses were angiomyeloproliferative lesions. We believe that this previously undescribed pathologic entity is stem cell–derived or –induced. The biologic potential, including the neoplastic potential, of this lesion is unknown. This case illustrates that the development of angiomyeloproliferative lesions is a possible complication of stem cell therapy.

This post has been edited by DarkNite: Dec 28 2010, 11:58 AM
moorish
post Dec 28 2010, 10:55 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 28 2010, 11:43 AM)
Not 100% true.

A woman with kidney disease has died after receiving an experimental stem cell treatment at a private clinic in Thailand, and a postmortem examination of her kidneys revealed that the treatment was almost certainly responsible for her death.
The woman suffered from lupus nephritis, a disease in which the immune system attacks the kidneys. When medications no longer controlled her disease, she went to a still-unnamed clinic in Bangkok where doctors said they could treat her disease using stem cells drawn from her own bone marrow.
See report below >>
I think this pretty much explain everything,

many unnamed clinic create problem of fatal consequences, eg breast enlargement, liposuction, placenta, botox, so are you gonna say all these treatment are dangerous and doesnt work? Its unqualified doctors that kills not the treatment.

BTW stemcell are very new, there're many treatment still in experimental stages, its like beta version, so dun expect a miracle.

Added on December 29, 2010, 10:31 am
QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 28 2010, 11:17 AM)
Not discourage, inform smile.gif

I prefer people make their own informed decisions instead of fear marketing.
This is not fear marketing
This is hope marketing rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 29 2010, 10:54 AM
ingear
post Dec 30 2010, 11:30 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 28 2010, 10:55 AM)

BTW stemcell are very new, there're many treatment still in experimental stages, its like beta version, so dun expect a miracle.

Added on December 29, 2010, 10:31 am

This is not fear marketing
This is hope marketing rclxms.gif
park the stem cells and hope that one has a back up plan but then don't expect a miracle comes out from the plan ? unsure.gif
moorish
post Dec 30 2010, 11:53 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(ingear @ Dec 30 2010, 11:30 AM)
park the stem cells and hope that one has a back up plan but then don't expect a miracle comes out from the plan ?  unsure.gif
Stem cell is not the all cure, it can only treat certain condition, 70 plus to be precise.
janszmatt
post Dec 30 2010, 02:54 PM

Casual
350 posts

This morning during a discussion with my uncle, his wife's doctor says most many treatment still in experimental stages INCLUDING many on your list!
And many are not available in Malaysia. So how? Who pays for the additional charge in overseas?

This post has been edited by janszmatt: Dec 30 2010, 02:56 PM
moorish
post Dec 30 2010, 06:16 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(janszmatt @ Dec 30 2010, 02:54 PM)
This morning during a discussion with my uncle, his wife's doctor says most many treatment still in experimental stages INCLUDING many on your list!
And many are not available in Malaysia. So how?
Lets put it this way, if you tai ket lai see kena one of those disease, no cure you wait to die, what are you gonna do?

All the money in the world oso no use, but if there is an experimental cure that yield result, but its in overseas, you can at least try it out.

2nd if your frens wife is a doc then she should know stem cell currently is the greatest hope for humankind.

3rd, you can choose to throw away your bloodcord or you can choose to store it, your call.

QUOTE(janszmatt @ Dec 30 2010, 02:54 PM)
Who pays for the additional charge in overseas?
You can buy insurance or you can raise public fund,

Dun mix hospital treatment and banking stem cell, 2 different thing, but without matching cell all the money in the world will not save your life.
ronnt88
post Jan 27 2011, 02:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,353 posts

hi guys & gals... some useful info in this thread. thanks to all that contributed.

Actually my wife wants me to go for the stemcell/core blood storage as it's our 1st baby and she wants to play safe, have a some peace of mind. So I agreed to pay for it but I'm unfamiliar to all the companies out there, I heard there were 4 in the market...

My question is, which company is the overall best/most dependable so far? Hope you guys can shed some light. Thanks.

7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:41 PM