Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> house renovation - want to rent out the house, How to deal with contractor?

views

TSiceanise
post Dec 10 2010, 09:00 AM, updated 14y ago

Getting Started
94 posts

Hi there,

Just want to get some opinions from forumer about house renovation. Recently i have bought a double storey house (20 x 70) in shah alam. Wanted to do a simple reno - at least to make the house look clean and can be rent out.

I noticed that there's quite a bad leakage at the downstair bathroom (mainly due to the leakage from the 1st floor bathroom). I wanted to get a reliable contractor to do some renovation inclusive of grilling for the whole house, to repaint the interior part of the house, to fix the leakage, to check all power outlet and water outlet and possibly, to change all parquet to tiles at 1st floor.

I am on budget but changing the tiles are quite expensive. I have few questions here, which i would like to get some idea from all of you.

1) One of the contractor quote me the price but didnt quote for fixing the leakages, i heard that he is reluctant to fix leakages.....do you think i should award the job to him since "fixing the leakages" is the main concern here.

2) The parquet upstair came out pieces by pieces, as such, he recommended me to change to all tiles. Is there a shop that sell parquet that i can actually stick it back myself? Or any recommended shop for cheap tiles with average quality?

3) For grille, he quoted me about RM3000 for normal type of steel. Is this reasonable?

4) For painting of whole house with cheap paint, he quoted me RM3350 (this is inclusive of painting exterior with dulux weathershield). But my exterior is still clean as the seller paint it exterior before handling over to me, so i decided not to paint the exterior.

5) Buying 4 doors with aluminium coating (for washroom so that it will last longer) - RM1040, reasonable?

6) if i engage a contractor, what are the payment like? do i need to pay deposit or i only pay when the work is done? How about warranty? If the leakage still persist after fixing, do i get warranty that they will fix it till right? Do i need to pay additional?

7) I need to get receipt to them everytime i pay or i need to get them to sign my payment voucher everytime they received the money?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks and have a nice day
avantasia
post Dec 10 2010, 11:22 AM

a while in dreamland!!!
2,827 posts

Must visit u'r house for estimation purpose!
Drian
post Dec 10 2010, 11:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

You should fix the leak as if you don't the tenants will sure call you to fix it . For renovation you should choose something which looks reasonable but extremely durable... tiles is a good choice.

As for warranty, talk to the contractor, normally they can give 3 months.

TSiceanise
post Dec 10 2010, 12:14 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

QUOTE(Drian @ Dec 10 2010, 11:38 AM)
You should fix the leak as if you don't the tenants will sure call you to fix it . For renovation you should choose something which looks reasonable but extremely durable... tiles is a good choice.

As for warranty, talk to the contractor, normally they can give 3 months.
yeah....the major concern is leakage...

however, what's the common practice? we paid the contractor only when work is done or we need to pay up front?
myonedeco
post Dec 11 2010, 12:03 AM

11 posts

1) One of the contractor quote me the price but didnt quote for fixing the leakages, i heard that he is reluctant to fix leakages.....do you think i should award the job to him since "fixing the leakages" is the main concern here.

Ask him to make fixing the leakages as 1st priority! need to get it into his brain before he carried out. of course, re-quote the price if needed for black n white purpose.

2) The parquet upstair came out pieces by pieces, as such, he recommended me to change to all tiles. Is there a shop that sell parquet that i can actually stick it back myself? Or any recommended shop for cheap tiles with average quality?

Maybe, but if the pieces comes out, probably can buy the glue selling in hardware shops. It'll do the work.

3) For grille, he quoted me about RM3000 for normal type of steel. Is this reasonable?

Need the total measurements.

4) For painting of whole house with cheap paint, he quoted me RM3350 (this is inclusive of painting exterior with dulux weathershield). But my exterior is still clean as the seller paint it exterior before handling over to me, so i decided not to paint the exterior.

So what is the problem here?

5) Buying 4 doors with aluminium coating (for washroom so that it will last longer) - RM1040, reasonable?

Ok, it's around tat price in penang. i think its ok.

6) if i engage a contractor, what are the payment like? do i need to pay deposit or i only pay when the work is done? How about warranty? If the leakage still persist after fixing, do i get warranty that they will fix it till right? Do i need to pay additional?

Dont pay ALL sum, dont pay until they ask you too. If they want full payment, say NO. Payments paid are relative to the jobs done OR they need to buy materials and stuffs.

7) I need to get receipt to them everytime i pay or i need to get them to sign my payment voucher everytime they received the money?

Do get the receipts after making last payment.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:20 AM