17 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Investment banking/Corporate finance

views

kinwing
post Nov 26 2010, 09:02 AM

On my way
559 posts

QUOTE(gloomberg @ Nov 26 2010, 08:53 AM)
u just need to know the right people to get u in... unless u're real lucky, like one of my pretty super lenglui friend who managed to get in, but left after barely a month there lol.
Hi gloomberg

May I know why your lenglui friend left ah hmm.gif ?
keelim
post Nov 26 2010, 09:39 AM

Enthusiast
920 posts

u just need to know the right people to get u in... unless u're real lucky, like one of my pretty super lenglui friend who managed to get in, but left after barely a month there lol.
The sane mind of a pretty lady should be marrying a banker not becoming a banker.
Vengeance_Mad
post Nov 26 2010, 10:14 AM

Aston-ishing
796 posts

QUOTE(kinwing @ Nov 25 2010, 11:58 PM)
Vengeance_Mad,

I quite like the quote from dreamer101:"If you cannot stand the heat, please stay away from the kitchen". So we are here trying to wake you up by giving you some hints how would the real IB world be but you take it too personally to think we are bashing you.

If your have never come through some harsh critics from bosses like "Why you are here? You should go home and sleep and give me your salary since your work is suck like a primary student's work, as I'm checking your work till like I'm doing your job!?". Or have you ever been thrown to the face with your draft and being screamed at "I don't want to see this rubbish, get out from my sight!" and have no idea of this kind of hardship, then be happy, as we sarcastism is a small fried.

BTW, you are on the way of getting the CFA registration by bumbing into the www.cfainstitute.org webpage, do read more thoroughly you would then find the account registration session for the CFA registration. Whereby the www.cfamalaysia.org is only for those who are or want to be CFA members and this webpage is not CFA candidates.
Got it.
I understand.
I just don't like to be judged so vaguely.

OT: May I know ur super lenglui friend ?

This post has been edited by Vengeance_Mad: Nov 26 2010, 10:15 AM
Zennix
post Nov 26 2010, 01:45 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

Hi all Experts

may i know how much salary should be expected by those fresh graduate with Bachelor Degree qualification who wish to venture into CF world?

is that working in CF world most of the time should work over midnight 12am or where 12am sharp can go back home is considered early already?

i heard from one shareholder of PLC during AGM time, he shocked me that a person who holds CFA charter work in investment banking line can earn such high amount up to RM30k monthly. He is the one who earns such huge amount and able to get early retirement (coz he is now only age middle 40s and keep roaming around to attend AGM of PLC..to eat free buffet lunch and get door gift as well..haha)

so dear all experts...is that my above statement true..???

This post has been edited by Zennix: Nov 26 2010, 01:45 PM
prancingHORSE
post Nov 26 2010, 04:50 PM

I’m too awake for this to be a nightmare!
Group Icon
Elite
2,442 posts

QUOTE(Zennix @ Nov 26 2010, 01:45 PM)
Hi all Experts

may i know how much salary should be expected by those fresh graduate with Bachelor Degree qualification who wish to venture into CF world?

is that working in CF world most of the time should work over midnight 12am or where 12am sharp can go back home is considered early already?

i heard from one shareholder of PLC during AGM time, he shocked me that a person who holds CFA charter work in investment banking line can earn such high amount up to RM30k monthly. He is the one who earns such huge amount and able to get early retirement (coz he is now only age middle 40s and keep roaming around to attend AGM of PLC..to eat free buffet lunch and get door gift as well..haha)

I'm no expert.

Generalizing never yields an accurate hypothesis.
My bet is that apart from being a CFA charterholder, that fortunate block would tell you many more factors that contributed towards his early retirement if you ever get the chance to meet him.

This post has been edited by prancingHORSE: Nov 26 2010, 04:50 PM
Knight_2008
post Nov 26 2010, 08:18 PM

Regular
1,268 posts

QUOTE(Zennix @ Nov 26 2010, 01:45 PM)
Hi all Experts

a friend of mine had told before investment banking do make lots of bucks.. however, he said 10 percent of the people make 90 percent of money in this field.. he told me he has a few frens who reach the position of head of research at age 31-34 and retire at around 35-36 with money enough for their lifetime..but sad to say, quite many of are not suited to this line either dropped out very fast or stay on but did not get to go far..
underpressure
post Nov 26 2010, 08:52 PM

Casual
378 posts

Totally true, as long as you're the 10% chances are you will be earning big bucks regardless which industry you are in. On average CF may earn more than others but they are other opportunies that bring you to the same destination. Providing you are good at what you do

blue_winter
post Nov 26 2010, 09:15 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

CF world is still very vague to me...i hope some of the experts here can help me clarify my doubts without bashing me...hehe...what position can a fresh grad hold if he/she were to venture into IBs? Analyst? And what does the job scope involve? what are the criterias that one needs to have to excel in this field?
Aloong
post Nov 26 2010, 09:52 PM

Casual
484 posts

Good example of ppl who think CF is glamorous, its about investment, about stock market, making huge money. then left after realising daily job is not what they expected.

Added on November 26, 2010, 10:00 pm
QUOTE(blue_winter @ Nov 26 2010, 09:15 PM)
CF world is still very vague to me...i hope some of the experts here can help me clarify my doubts without bashing me...hehe...what position can a fresh grad hold if he/she were to venture into IBs? Analyst? And what does the job scope involve? what are the criterias that one needs to have to excel in this field?
Diff bank diff names. but for sure the lowest position. hence ur title will suck, hence watever it is doesn't matter rite?
anyway, u will have clerks lower position than u. fyi: secreteries is higher position than clerk, so make sure u know the diff, altho they seem to be doin the same stuff.

job scope, will be photocopy, binding, typing without typo error, good grammer, obedient, make sure u do 100%, dun even think of being smart and give better ideas. just keep quiet and do as ur told. rmbr ur the most junior, u get to speak or "contribute", once u've proven u can do the basics.

This post has been edited by Aloong: Nov 26 2010, 10:00 PM
blue_winter
post Nov 26 2010, 10:05 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

Does it help if we have some experience in audit/tax? Will we be still in the same position as fresh grads? Btw, how high is the salary? more thn 3k? and wat is so pressure about the job? izit the deadline or....?
Knight_2008
post Nov 26 2010, 10:15 PM

Regular
1,268 posts

QUOTE(blue_winter @ Nov 26 2010, 10:05 PM)
Does it help if we have some experience in audit/tax? Will we be still in the same position as fresh grads? Btw, how high is the salary? more thn 3k? and wat is so pressure about the job? izit the deadline or....?
dunno about Malaysia..but i heard that in US the starting pay of an analyst for those graduated from Wharton is about 60-70k USD with the top tier graduate analyst getting up to 100k bonus in their first year..

i heard my fren telling me that CIMB pay 2.8k though with 9 months bonus a few years back..
blue_winter
post Nov 26 2010, 10:24 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

9 months bonus? wow...is tat even possible?
Knight_2008
post Nov 26 2010, 10:28 PM

Regular
1,268 posts

the IB ppl worked damn hard...i heard their working hours is like 7am to 7pm on good day..bad day can past midnight
blue_winter
post Nov 26 2010, 10:32 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

do they have certain peak periods like audit? or juz peak all throughout the year?
gloomberg
post Nov 27 2010, 12:53 AM

On my way
509 posts

Assumptions/stories u guys heard are partially true. I don't know many banks, but I only know some (I'm still new in the market). For me, if i wanna know about pay, i'll directly ask somehow who is actually working at that particular bank itself, for say the HR, if they are willing to tell. If not, ask somehow who has a close friend there, which is hard as well. So best of all, get yourself an interview, and ask when u get the offer, but seriously, it's highly unlikely that they would hire a freshie for their CF, but for research houses it's quite common.

There is an exception though, cause I knew this guy from Maybank Investment who got into a department which is CF related, called origination - he said it's sth to do with writing a pitchbook (to get a deal). If there are pro here who could kindly explain what is origination, it would be deeply appreciated. He's freshie, and got confirmed after 6 months via the Maybank Apprenticeship Program. U guys could try it out.

the lenglui friend i has just switched to a different department at a different IB LOL (i got an offer at that diff IB, but rejected it). Words like 'dark','crazy','nonsense' are associated with CF, at least for her company. Ermm, what I can say is that it's very demanding, and the ppl there would expect u to be able to deal with a whole load of sh1t while u're there. Working hours during the project can be into the wee hours of the morning, and in the weekends as well. there is no such thing as peak season, cuz if u're in those huge IB, really, it's always peak season if deals are always pouring in, especially during this time of global economic recovery. U will notice the trend once u're in the market.

In the end, it all depends on what u want in life.

Please don't think CF is about stock market guys, although i have no idea myself what it was until i was working. It's similar, as in the valuation part and they have to keep up to date with the regulatory news that governs the area they are covering (taxation, sovereignty,political,etc). When some corporates want to do M&A,IPO,Privatization,ECM they'll ask those IB for help with an astounding fee. There's definitely A LOT of legal stuff in CF that is dealt here, which is why corporate lawyers are earning soooo much.

All in all, pay is good, bonus can be >12 months, especially for this year, and there's so many types of bonuses... (individual performance, company performance, contractual) but u are risking ur health and ultimately fertility.

If u really want money, go study actuarial science overseas, and dun come back malaysia. or study chemical engineering or some sort of engineering and hopefully land urself in an oil&gas company. really, there are better ways to earn money. For example, being an insurance agent. A manager from Great Eastern claims to have earned a steady 40k per month, having a lot of downlines. I mean, seriously, who doesn't want to be rich? to use a Mont Blanc pen, Salvatore Ferragamo tie, or even an Armani suit. Ah the glorified world of investment bankers... But always remember there are better ways... don't hop in just for the fame, it's just not worth it... unless u loved to be adored by people, and u have the hunger to be praised and complimented all the time...

Smart ada 2 jenis, satu street smart, another book smart. If u're street smart, u can actually earn more (entrepreneur), but of course it's a tougher road, but what is this world is free from potential risks? If u work for ppl, u risk being fired, although the probability is low.
Aloong
post Nov 27 2010, 01:02 PM

Casual
484 posts

Origination (normally called Invt banking dept) = 70% marketing skills + 30% structuring skills with executioners's help
Execution (normally called CF dept) = 90% execution + 10% structuring to assist originaters

Unfortunately, there is no 100% structuring job/role, as wat most ppl thot they would do.
jimmyttl
post Nov 27 2010, 09:18 PM

Getting Started
81 posts

QUOTE(Aloong @ Nov 27 2010, 01:02 PM)
Origination (normally called Invt banking dept) = 70% marketing skills + 30% structuring skills with executioners's help
Execution (normally called CF dept) = 90% execution + 10% structuring to assist originaters

Unfortunately, there is no 100% structuring job/role, as wat most ppl thot they would do.
you call that marketing skill? I call it reverse valuation ROFL
you don't value the company of your client, or target co. if it's a M&A deal, client will tell you the perceived value of his firm and it's up to you to find reasons to support his valuation and get the deal done. DCF? Comparable ratios you learnt in Uni? go chuck it into the dustbin. LOL

the ugly fact is, people in IBK has better bonus relative to the efforts put in by their more hardworking brethren from the execution side. after all IB is still about sales/deal, if you get the deal, you're the MAN.

Think of execution team as the machine operator on the manufacturing floor while IBK as the thick face salesman peddling their wares.
blue_winter
post Nov 27 2010, 09:25 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

so basically wat does the job involve? mostly preparing reports? meaning we have to have good research skills? how bout calculation n ratios?
gloomberg
post Nov 27 2010, 09:29 PM

On my way
509 posts

QUOTE(jimmyttl @ Nov 27 2010, 09:18 PM)
you call that marketing skill? I call it reverse valuation ROFL
you don't value the company of your client, or target co. if it's a M&A deal, client will tell you the perceived value of his firm and it's up to you to find reasons to support his valuation and get the deal done. DCF? Comparable ratios you learnt in Uni? go chuck it into the dustbin. LOL

the ugly fact is, people in IBK has better bonus relative to the efforts put in by their more hardworking brethren from the execution side. after all IB is still about sales/deal, if you get the deal, you're the MAN.

Think of execution team as the machine operator on the manufacturing floor while IBK as the thick face salesman peddling their wares.
like what i've mentioned before. it's a 'dark' world there, and obviously if u wanna get the deal done, u have got to satisfy the clients. anything is else is irrelevant.
SUSalaskanbunny
post Nov 27 2010, 09:50 PM

Foodie
4,283 posts

you dont expect much info from msians.... not too many of these in msia... come to sg, and you will see a whole new world..

17 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0248sec    0.15    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:12 AM