> Show off your Desktop !, [IMAGE HEAVY !]

views

-Hzu-
post Dec 14 2010, 02:54 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(cocooh @ Dec 14 2010, 02:41 PM)
nice o.o i guess its more light weight than Xubuntu
Err, there has been many lightweight distros than Xubuntu, and Ubuntu has another lightweight distro too, which is more lighter than Xubuntu, Lubuntu. Even lighter than that, DSL, which is only 50MB, designed for computers with low-resources.
-Hzu-
post Dec 17 2010, 12:13 AM

Enthusiast
943 posts

My new desktop, I never did a customization before(lazy and I tried to keep it as simple as possible), so this is my first try.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
-Hzu-
post Dec 17 2010, 09:17 AM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(cocooh @ Dec 17 2010, 12:17 AM)
transparent gnome panel  shocking.gif

Nice XD
Ha yeah, that's looks really good right? brows.gif I wanted to switch to AWN but I don't know how to get Lucido style. hmm.gif
-Hzu-
post Dec 17 2010, 10:49 AM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(G-17 @ Dec 17 2010, 10:45 AM)
I assume you're familiar with tiling window managers and cli apps?
If so, what do you need, exactly? Do you want my scrotwm.conf, .Xdefaults color-scheme, specific application configs/scripts?
You got a nice desktop but we can only navigate using keyboard? Or what? Looks like full text desktop.
-Hzu-
post Dec 17 2010, 11:56 AM

Enthusiast
943 posts

Actually I like it because it's simple and have the Linux feel. I'll install ScrotWM later. Can you share your config?
-Hzu-
post Dec 18 2010, 10:44 AM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(G-17 @ Dec 18 2010, 04:46 AM)
@-Hzu- & Acid_RuleZz & praveenmarkandu

here's a simple .scrotwm.conf, .Xdefaults and .bashrc
http://ompldr.org/vNmx2cw

All 3 are DOT files, so you'll need to enable your file manager to show hidden files (Ctrl + H in Nautilus, Thunar, etc)

Important:
Back up your existing .scrotwm.conf, .Xdefaults (if you have one) and .bashrc first
Then paste the .scrotwm.conf and .Xdefaults included in the zip into your home folder.

I've set both of them to use URxvt as the terminal emulator, so make sure you install that first (you can also edit the configs to make it use your preferred terminal if you know how, but if you're still learning and unsure, just use my suggestion first)

URxvt can be found in your repos under the "rxvt-unicode" package.
Also make sure you install terminus fonts, "xfonts-terminus" (I think Ubuntu pulls this in automatically when you install a ScrotWM or DWM, but I'm not 100% sure, so do it anyway (your package manager or Synaptic should tell you if it's installed already)

Note: If you don't understand this paragraph, don't worry... just ignore.
The .bashrc, don't touch until you're more familiar with bash. I don't use bash myself (I prefer ZSH) so I'm a bit behind with bash prompt editing. If you open it in a text editor, go to line 84 and 85 for your bash prompt. Just replace "User" and "Host" with whatever nick you want as a start. If you do some reading on Bash (Archwiki is a good place to learn), then you can do much more if you want.... or change to Zsh one day =P

That should be enough to get you started. Remember to read the .scrotwm.conf first to give you an idea of the keybindings. I've changed the Mod/Meta key to Mod4 (the Windows/Super key on your keyboard), to prevent conflicts with certain apps that use Mod1. I've also added quirks for Nautilus (which I assume is your file manager) and Firefox (at the end of the file)

Cheers.

Added on December 18, 2010, 4:52 amAh, are you using Network Manager as your default network app?
I'm not sure, cos I've not used network manager in a looooong time.

I prefer Wicd, and wicd-curses (the cli/terminal version) is what I use for my setups.
Wicd is actually better and lighter than network manager, but the disadvantage is that it doesn't support 3G USB dongles (maxis, celcom,etc) If you're just connecting via wifi to your router, it should work fine.

You can install wicd and wicd-curses and without removing network manager (I think). that way, your Gnome session will default to network manager and you can run wicd-curses from the terminal in scrotwm to configure your wireless connection. (note, if you install wicd from Gnome while network manager is running, it will give a message saying initialization failed, but ignore that... you can still run it as stand-alone from Scrotwm)

Disclaimer:
Like I said, I don't use Ubuntu/Fedora or Gnome or Network Manager, so I'm not 100% sure what your package management will do (sometimes Ubuntu will remove stuff), so pay attention to the output. Don't kill me if you bork your wireless sweat.gif tongue.gif
Thanks for taking your time doing this for us G-17. smile.gif I'll install ScrotWM and try to configure it.
-Hzu-
post Dec 18 2010, 10:40 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

Rev #2

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
-Hzu-
post Dec 18 2010, 11:43 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

Backtrack is recommended for security auditing purposes. If you just want to take a peek at it's desktop effects, then no, they're just the same.
-Hzu-
post Dec 19 2010, 12:17 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(monsh @ Dec 19 2010, 05:20 AM)
oh my god !
looking at those makes me wanna try out linux .
is anyone willing to teach me about using linux + using these customization .
GO AWAY WIDNWO$ USER! Nah, just kidding. You're always welcome here.

I recommend you to get Ubuntu because it was designed for... take no offense but people call it, 'n00b distro'. Well, I guess they're right after all. Ubuntu isn't challenging at all, everything is in the repo. While me, Fedora user, feels so fun customizing, compiling, blblablblbalbla, etc. Ok, stop the rant.

BTW, G-17, I still haven't figured out how to use ScrotWM, lol. doh.gif I installed scrot from the Fedora repo, log out, and I can't change to Scrot, I don't see any menu to do so. rclxub.gif I'll try searching the support forums.
-Hzu-
post Dec 19 2010, 02:48 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

A programmer eh? Then go for either Fedora or ArchLinux or Gentoo. I'd recommend you Fedora. biggrin.gif Well, actually you don't need to do programming at all(maybe there are some), but most of the source codes only need you to install the dependecies and compile them. nod.gif

Ubuntu is too easy, might not be fun for a programmer like you. tongue.gif

---------------------------OR!---------------------------

You could use THIS and see what you got.

This post has been edited by -Hzu-: Dec 19 2010, 02:50 PM
-Hzu-
post Dec 19 2010, 03:27 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

http://wwww.FedoraProject.org

The latest version is Fedora 14. For support or tutorials/guides/etc., you can go to http://www.FedoraSolved.org and http://www.FedoraForum.org.
-Hzu-
post Dec 19 2010, 03:40 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

They are available as Live CD and installation DVD. The Live CD can also be installed to your PC.
-Hzu-
post Dec 19 2010, 04:17 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(cocooh @ Dec 19 2010, 04:07 PM)
+1 , i wonder if the mod allows it  hmm.gif
Make an IRC channel. wink.gif

-Hzu-
post Dec 19 2010, 04:22 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

Ok, that's great! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by -Hzu-: Dec 19 2010, 04:32 PM
-Hzu-
post Dec 20 2010, 02:04 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(praveenmarkandu @ Dec 19 2010, 11:10 PM)
very simple desktop. best of both worlds. GUI + Terminal
Nice, what window manager are you using? Doesn't looks like GNOME to me.

-Hzu-
post Dec 20 2010, 03:39 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(axxer @ Dec 20 2010, 03:36 PM)
what distro ur using? if ubuntu just
CODE
sudo apt-get install conky

tar.gz need to compile urself, too hard for beginner  sweat.gif
Compiling isn't that hard, just download the dependecies and make then make install. But would be a complete waste of time and space when it's already in the repo.

-Hzu-
post Dec 20 2010, 05:04 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

Here's my new desktop:
user posted image
-Hzu-
post Dec 21 2010, 02:50 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(futra @ Dec 21 2010, 12:36 PM)
hey guys, i've finally embraced ubuntu after many years on and off since 6.0+ tongue.gif anyway im so amazed by ur designs, damn they look good. i just managed to get 10.04 last sunday and been conky-ing ever since hehe.. here's what i'm able to come up with. still unsuccessful with weather..

and how do u guys get the mac-look dock? looks cool..

user posted image
That's a nice system monitor. What did you use and mind sharing your config?

EDIT : ... NVM, I just realized that installing all these docks, panels, etc., are just making my desktop messy.

This post has been edited by -Hzu-: Dec 21 2010, 02:52 PM
-Hzu-
post Dec 21 2010, 11:14 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

You get a sampan then I'll get a raft, only console.
-Hzu-
post Dec 22 2010, 05:04 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(wanfaris @ Dec 22 2010, 05:02 PM)
mine.... wub.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Take #2.

Eww, you ruined your Linux with that Mac theme!

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0388sec    0.63    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 1st August 2021 - 06:23 PM