Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Diesel engine overhaul, complete overhaul

bwsy2002
post Nov 6 2010, 11:08 PM, updated 5 years ago

Group: New Member

Recently revisited the workshop and talk the mechanic in details regarding ' the operation' of my car engine.

According to the mechanic, the top overhaul never apply to diesel engine. That means the engine will definitely undergo complete overhaul, if i choose to overhaul it. Top overhaul will make the compression in the diesel engine combustion lost more and make the condition worse.

Is this true?

All experience Sifu please dont hesitate to advise. thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
szeeonn
post Nov 7 2010, 03:39 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

stupid answer given by ur mec , so what he suggest ? surely he ask u CHANGE WHOLE ENGINE right ?
guess i am right
+Quote Post
SleeplessEyes
post Nov 8 2010, 12:39 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
Group: Senior Member

Diesels engine can be compared with construction laborers able to work at dirty and hot construction site, while petrol engines are like white collar executives with PHDs, Doctorates, etc,must only to work comfortably in air-conditioned, plush offices.

In other words, diesel engines hardly need a full overhaul even under harshest conditions.

In the first place what is your mileage and why need the overhaul?
Diesel engines can go up to 1,000,000 KMs while Petrol engines..if you are lucky to reach 300,000KM.

If ever doubt about overhauling, ask your mech to do a compression test. If he doesn't, just walk away.
+Quote Post
ahsam1212
post Nov 8 2010, 05:47 PM

Getting Started

Your mech sounds fishy. Or your engine is really old n abused.
Mileage of your engine? Who abuse the car? What engine?
+Quote Post
szeeonn
post Nov 8 2010, 07:57 PM

Getting Started

all mech give simple reply , change engine would be faster , better , reliable ..
FULLY overhaul wor .. especially diesel
need a LOT OF time , JOB and WORK ...
whoelse mec have that kind of time ?
+Quote Post
bwsy2002
post Nov 9 2010, 01:04 PM

Hi Sleepless Eyes and other sifus,

My car is Toyota Prado Tz 3.0. Mileage just reaches 130,000 km. This is 1997 car, just 13 years old.

It all started with the starting problem. It happens intermitantly, either engine is hot or cold.

So I brought the car for diagnosis check, then discovering it consumes engine oil severely (around 3L after 3000km driving.)

The mechanic told me he had overhauled more than 50 units prado TZ for the past few years. Just last year alone, he overhauled more than 11 prados....and so far no one comes back to complaint about his works. (dont know true to believe or not....but since it is strongly recommeded by frens, I wouild rather choose to believe)...

And he listened to my car problems. His is conclusion was also to get the car overhauled. According to him, starting problem is the beginning of the engine problem that may indicate the engine bore has been "eaten". And the high engine oil consumption supports this hypothesis. He tried to check starter and fuel pumps and even electronics things but so far he couldn't find any problem except for the engine.

He also told me if the engine has just high consumption of engine oil without any starting problem, then he may do a compression test for me as m oil comsumption can be due to many reasons..... but if the car has start up problem, he is very confident the problem is with the piston and the engine block.

Here are some price quoted by him:-

cylinder liner (if needed) from Japan 4 pcs- RM1200
New piston + ring + conrod bearing bla bla from Japan - RM4000 - RM4500
Cylinder head (if needed) from Japan - RM4000

There are also some cheap one from China and made in Malaysia

Liner (Malaysia) 4 pcs - Rm400
cylinder head (China) - RM1700
piston (China) - Rm600.....

So he estimated the overhaul may need about RM6000 without servicing fuel pump and changing cylinder head, Which he used to charge for other prado works.

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Nov 8 2010, 12:39 PM)
Diesels engine can be compared with construction laborers able to work at dirty and hot construction site, while petrol engines are like white collar executives with PHDs, Doctorates, etc,must only to work comfortably in air-conditioned, plush offices.

In other words, diesel engines hardly need a full overhaul even under harshest conditions.

In the first place what is your mileage and why need the overhaul?
Diesel engines can go up to 1,000,000 KMs while Petrol engines..if you are lucky to reach 300,000KM.

If ever doubt about overhauling, ask your mech to do a compression test. If he doesn't, just walk away.

Added on November 11, 2010, 3:16 pmrecently I manage to get 1kz engine (engine kosing only) at one half cut shop, asking for RM5500. The shop owner said he can gurantee the engine is in good condition and not makan minyak. He will change one for me if the engine consume engine oil.

Do you think is it better to swap the engine (labor charge + other part properly another Rm1000) or overhaul my own engine for RM6000?

All sifu pls dont mind to comment. thanks.

Added on November 12, 2010, 11:07 amrecently I manage to get 1kz engine (engine kosing only) at one half cut shop, asking for RM5500. The shop owner said he can gurantee the engine is in good condition and not makan minyak. He will change one for me if the engine consume engine oil.

Do you think is it better to swap the engine (labor charge + other part properly another Rm1000) or overhaul my own engine for RM6000?

This post has been edited by bwsy2002: Nov 12 2010, 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
rakyat
post Nov 12 2010, 01:46 PM

I got stars
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(bwsy2002 @ Nov 9 2010, 01:04 PM)

Added on November 11, 2010, 3:16 pmrecently I manage to get 1kz engine (engine kosing only) at one half cut shop, asking for RM5500. The shop owner said he can gurantee the engine is in good condition and not makan minyak. He will change one for me if the engine consume engine oil.

Added on November 12, 2010, 11:07 amrecently I manage to get 1kz engine (engine kosing only) at one half cut shop, asking for RM5500. The shop owner said he can gurantee the engine is in good condition and not makan minyak. He will change one for me if the engine consume engine oil.

Let me get u right. Your question is whether to change to a 2nd hand engine for RM6.5k (RM5.5k engine + RM1k workmanship) or refurbish your existing engine w. new parts for RM6k? I think new parts better then 2nd hand parts expecially if it is RM500 cheaper (u have included taken JPJ inspection, transfer & runner fees)
+Quote Post
jackchong890
post Nov 12 2010, 10:44 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(bwsy2002 @ Nov 9 2010, 01:04 PM)
Hi Sleepless Eyes and other sifus,
My car is Toyota Prado Tz 3.0. Mileage just reaches 130,000 km. This is 1997 car, just 13 years old.

It all started with the starting problem. It happens intermitantly, either engine is hot or cold.

So I brought the car for diagnosis check, then discovering it consumes engine oil severely (around 3L after 3000km driving.)
The mechanic told me he had overhauled more than 50 units prado TZ for the past few years. Just last year alone, he overhauled more than 11 prados....and so far no one comes back to complaint about his works. (dont know true to believe or not....but since it is strongly recommeded by frens, I wouild rather choose to believe)...

And he listened to my car problems. His is conclusion was also to get the car overhauled. According to him, starting problem is the beginning of the engine problem that may indicate the engine bore has been "eaten". And the high engine oil consumption supports this hypothesis. He tried to check starter and fuel pumps and even electronics things but so far he couldn't find any problem except for the engine.

He also told me if the engine has just high consumption of engine oil without any starting problem, then he may do a compression test for me as m oil comsumption can be due to many reasons..... but if the car has start up problem, he is very confident the problem is with the piston and the engine block.

Here are some price quoted by him:-

cylinder liner (if needed) from Japan 4 pcs- RM1200
New piston + ring + conrod bearing bla bla from Japan - RM4000 - RM4500
Cylinder head (if needed) from Japan - RM4000

There are also some cheap one from China and made in Malaysia

Liner (Malaysia) 4 pcs - Rm400
cylinder head (China) - RM1700
piston (China) - Rm600.....

So he estimated the overhaul may need about RM6000 without servicing fuel pump and changing cylinder head, Which he used to charge for other prado works.

if me
1) go more workshop get their quote again

2) won't take the halfcut one, because halfcut mean old engine, now dun have problem not mean that later don't have problem... rather go overhaul then your engine all part is new then is better you buy an OLD engine which is TEMPORALLY no problem. ...

and one thing is ppl usually go half-cut buy engine because they want to upgrade engine not want to buy back same engine to solve problem, I think 1KZ engine is almost same with ur prado engine right( this i not sure, correct me if wrong)...

+Quote Post
bwsy2002
post Nov 15 2010, 09:12 AM

The price are most or less somewhere between 5k to 6k after i have asked about 5 workshops. The engine part for 1kz is damn expensive than others.

I agree with you that half-cut engine is old. Thank you for the advice that old engine is less reliable than the newly overhauled one.

Ya, I plan to have the same engine inside my car and dont intent to upgrade or change to a different one.

If nothing goes wrong, I will choose to overhaul the engine. Thanks again for the advice.

QUOTE(jackchong890 @ Nov 12 2010, 10:44 PM)
if me
1) go more workshop get their quote again

2) won't take the halfcut one, because halfcut mean old engine, now dun have problem not mean that later don't have problem... rather go overhaul then your engine all part is new then is better you buy an OLD engine which is TEMPORALLY no problem. ...

and one thing is ppl usually go half-cut buy engine because they want to upgrade engine not want to buy back same engine to solve problem, I think 1KZ engine is almost same with ur prado engine right( this i not sure, correct me if wrong)...

Added on November 15, 2010, 2:43 pmEventually, my car has been sent for complete overhaul.

But "overhaul' can sometimes be too general. Any experience sifus please dont mind to list down any part needs to be changed during complete overhaul? (Also prevent the mechanic to change any part "sesuka hati") Thanks.

This post has been edited by bwsy2002: Nov 15 2010, 02:43 PM
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1009sec    2.81    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 3rd September 2015 - 10:28 AM