Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Saliva dripping during sleep

views

TSJingle_bubbles
post Oct 31 2010, 04:09 PM, updated 14y ago

Getting Started
154 posts

I would like some opinion from you guys.
During these recent 3 years, I realised that when I am sleeping, a lot of saliva drip out from my mouth. If I sleep lying face down, with face turn to the side, it drips out the most. A short 5 mins nap and when i wake up, half of my face is wet. It's not that bad if I sleep face up or at the side. Last time when I accidentally fall asleep during studying, I wake up and all my lecture notes are wet. Like.. dripping wet till transparent... haihhh... blush.gif
I told my mom and she just laughed non-stop.
It would be very funny if it isn't happening to me... biggrin.gif
So, I'd just want to ask what is the cause of it? Is it stress? because I never had it before I went to uni.
Anybody has the same experience and can anyone share some solution?
TSJingle_bubbles
post Oct 31 2010, 08:03 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(slimey @ Oct 31 2010, 05:07 PM)
normal.....
cause......gravity+normal saliva production rate+ open mouth....
solution....you already have it.
But it just happen this recent 3 years, gravity suddenly increase?

Added on October 31, 2010, 8:04 pm
QUOTE(bigbangformula @ Oct 31 2010, 06:17 PM)
Or maybe could be becos you having a nice dream

Are you a boy or girl?
I'm a female... the last time i check...

Added on October 31, 2010, 8:06 pm
QUOTE(SilentSerpent @ Oct 31 2010, 06:25 PM)
it's not a disease or anything.
so, it can't be cured.
it doesn't involve stress either.
it's more of a habit.
which means, you have to change the way you sleep.
try to shut your mouth.
while sleeping, i mean.
I thought I shut my mouth when I sleep... And it never did happen to me when I was younger. sad.gif My mouth got bigger...

Added on October 31, 2010, 8:08 pm
QUOTE(buraqdunia @ Oct 31 2010, 06:47 PM)
perhap yr nasal canal is block. that why why sleeping we, breath from mouth . when sleep , try pillow that support right height for yr head and neck. it heppen to me also. b4 sleep clear yr nose. do u heard nasal spray? give it try.
My nasal canal is ok, but the pillow could be a problem... the goose feather pillow I'm using sorta flattens out when my big heavy head lies on it. And you should see the maps my saliva 'draws' on the pillow too... totally colourful.

Added on October 31, 2010, 8:10 pm
QUOTE(darklight79 @ Oct 31 2010, 06:48 PM)
You're gonna die. It's not saliva. It's brain juice leaking out of your mouth. It only comes out when you're sleeping. Write a will.
One of my suspicions. Darn. I knew I didn't have tat much saliva in me.

Added on October 31, 2010, 8:12 pm
QUOTE(CoolBoy89 @ Oct 31 2010, 07:53 PM)
Me too..especially when dreaming something and very focus in the dream, then will drop saliva  sweat.gif
U too. sad.gif But mine is even when a short nap, half my face would be wet. Nothing very focus also. sad.gif Yours a lot of saliva or just 1 drip? Your pillow got lots of 'pattern' like mine?

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Oct 31 2010, 08:12 PM
TSJingle_bubbles
post Oct 31 2010, 08:31 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

Is it a lot of saliva for you? Or just a bit? I'm worried how mine is like flowing the wrong path (out of my mouth), instead of going back in my body. And it's really inconvenient and a lot.
TSJingle_bubbles
post Oct 31 2010, 10:37 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(munkeyflo @ Oct 31 2010, 08:35 PM)
well it depends how you sleep lor. if you sleep with head facing downwards, then of course flow out of the mouth due to gravity. but if i sleep with head facing upwards then no saliva come out at all. mine not a lot la but sometimes can be quite a lot.
I see... it doesn't bother you? When you wake up and your pillow, cheek and strands of hair is wet?

Added on October 31, 2010, 10:43 pm
QUOTE(bigbangformula @ Oct 31 2010, 09:09 PM)
Lol wat  laugh.gif You being sarcastic or wat

Btw you seriously believe what tht guy posted that brain juice is leaking from your mouth? Haha incredible  laugh.gif

Just close your mouth when u sleep then and breath through ur nose
biggrin.gif I thought there is a purple tag below my avatar which writes 'female'... wait.. or only I can see it??

Btw, you seriously believe that I believed that guy posted that brain juice is leaking from my mouth? Haha incredible. biggrin.gif

I really thought I closed my mouth and breath through my nose when I'm asleep. I definitely didnt close my nose and breath through my mouth. But the saliva is just there. It's really inconvenient.

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Oct 31 2010, 10:45 PM
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 1 2010, 02:26 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(night @ Nov 1 2010, 12:28 AM)
Either you have excessive saliva which is not harmful to the body or you're breathing through your mouth while sleeping.

There's nothing much you can do about this matter. As for me, my mouth will become dry the next day when I woke up as I usually slept with my mouth open and the air-cond will caused my mouth to be dry. Is it just me or everyone is facing the same issue.
I might have excessive saliva. If I sleep on the side, I'll wake up with a reservoir of saliva in my cheek, some which overlap and drip out... My swallowing mechanism forgot to function when I'm asleep or what?

Dont know about the air-cond though. My campus hostel has only fans, and it already didn't do a good job of drying my excessive saliva on the pillow.

Added on November 1, 2010, 2:30 am
QUOTE(SilentSerpent @ Nov 1 2010, 12:33 AM)
your mouth got bigger, and you have a lot of saliva?
hmm.gif
put it to good use then.

ok back to the main topic,
i think that you have to train yourself to sleep with your mouth shut.
try tying your jaw to avoid your jaw from dropping.
biggrin.gif
Pardon my naive-vity... took me awhile to understand. tongue.gif

The training to sleep with mouth shut may be quite difficult. Because I am positive the mouth was shut before I fall asleep. No reason to leave it hanging open. Or maybe it open whilst I was asleep. Either way... the saliva found its way out.

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Nov 1 2010, 02:30 AM
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 1 2010, 01:11 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(Salience @ Nov 1 2010, 09:22 AM)
or you are just extremely tired.

this happens to me if i am super tired

else won't drip
Yaya... mentally tired though, not physically. And will drip during sleep only la. Sometimes it won't be tat bad, but i realised during exam time would be at its worse. My lecture notes... all transparent and dripping. Not a pwwwettty sight.

Added on November 1, 2010, 1:13 pm
QUOTE(night @ Nov 1 2010, 09:48 AM)
Just a question here. Do you breathe through your nose or your mouth? As you sleep, you may have subconsciously breathe through your mouth and that's where the saliva is dripping. If that's the case, there's nothing much you can do at this moment. My only recommendation was sleeping in an air-cond room to dry off those saliva. My mouth is super dry the next morning and I need to prepare a bottle of water before hand to wet my mouth in the morning.
When I'm at home though, if I sleep with the air cond on, my lips tend to get dry in the morning. And yea, the wet wet saliva isnt present, just tat sometimes i feel something caked on my cheeks.. like saliva dried out that feel.

Added on November 1, 2010, 1:29 pm
QUOTE(faceless @ Nov 1 2010, 11:00 AM)
Saliva is constantly secreted out of your mouth. When your mouth is open it flow out.

Sleeping with mouth open is either due to stress or extreme tiredness. I had experience both.

By the way have you always been sleeping with your mouth open since childhood till now?
I see... and yours have any saliva flowing out like me? The saliva thing only only happen in recent 3 years.

I dont recall me opening my mouth at any mouth of my life when I was asleep. sad.gif Maybe I open just a crack, and they all flow out.

Added on November 1, 2010, 1:37 pm
QUOTE(Holyboy27 @ Nov 1 2010, 11:01 AM)
your mouth don't have an exact amount of saliva that stays constant. it increases as you need it.

like when ur mouth is open, it tends to dry so more saliva is produced. there's little (AFAIK) relation to how much saliva you have.

btw brain juice cannot come out from mouth la wei! i usually salivate when im super duper tired.
I see... Meaning as it drains out, it produces more? What about the sleeping in air cond thing that someone else propose? Will it work this way?

smile.gif haha... I salivate all the time. Only it drips out when I'm asleep. biggrin.gif

Added on November 1, 2010, 1:42 pm
QUOTE(bigbangformula @ Nov 1 2010, 12:17 PM)
Well,there are in fact many males in LYN pretending to be females you know,especially in Kopitiam  whistling.gif

Since everyone's saying almost the same thing and such,and u don't really know how to solve it,maybe it's best to go see a doctor?
Hahaha... nope, i'm pretty sure I'm a female. Got the things a female should have, dont have the things that female shouldn't have. biggrin.gif

That's the thing... told my mom about it and she just laughed... haihhhh... she doesnt seem to think it's serious enough to go to the doc, which prolly isnt. sad.gif But some solutions from others who had experience this before would be great.

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Nov 1 2010, 01:42 PM
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 1 2010, 11:27 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(trinityz @ Nov 1 2010, 04:06 PM)
LOL. you better do something about it. otherwise your future husband will wake up with a wet face full of your saliva next time. haha.. eeekkk  shocking.gif
T.T Don't say like tat ma... reduce my market price dy lorh...

Added on November 1, 2010, 11:29 pm
QUOTE(SilentSerpent @ Nov 1 2010, 04:41 PM)
im not really sure if going to the doctor would help.
i dont know if there's any medicine to reduce your saliva or any medicine that can make you sleep with your mouth shut.
biggrin.gif
proper training is needed.
ask someone to sit beside you when you sleep.
the moment you open your mouth, make sure the person shuts it back.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif Sweet. But later I might get angry. Why keep pushing my mouth when I try to sleep. vmad.gif

Added on November 1, 2010, 11:32 pm
QUOTE(bigbangformula @ Nov 1 2010, 08:04 PM)
LMAO,if there is such person willing to do that  laugh.gif
There'll be someone willing. nod.gif
Or else he doesn't mind waking up with my holy water saliva all over his face dy lorh.

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Nov 1 2010, 11:32 PM
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 2 2010, 09:42 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(bigbangformula @ Nov 2 2010, 03:13 PM)
Depends,if your pretty,your market value won't decrease la,cos they won't even know that u drool while sleeping when they first time ppl see you..

How bout posting some pics of you here?  laugh.gif  brows.gif
My point exactly. No one's gonna know if you dont say.
tongue.gif Im not gonna let anyone identify me on the streets and points and say: hey, that's the girl dribblin' in her sleep! So malu...

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Nov 2 2010, 10:07 PM
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 3 2010, 12:52 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(Salience @ Nov 2 2010, 09:00 AM)
has searching online gave u a scientific explanation on saliva drips during sleep?

or at least a bearing?
Got got. See this. They call it dribbling. I call is saliva dripping. tongue.gif Forgive me malaysian english.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...07034504AATb5Jf
Not the one with 2 votes. Is the one with 1 vote.

Added on November 3, 2010, 12:56 am
QUOTE(faceless @ Nov 2 2010, 10:12 AM)
I hope one day you get see a person sleeping with an open mouth. Then you can see the saliva drip out of the mouth. The mouth secrete saliva and the gravaty thing everyone is trying to explain to you will be crystal clear. Maybe then you will not come up with remarks like "I did not get a bigger mouth".

It seems to me that you did not even realised you are sleeping with your mouth open. Hey like you, I fell asleep on my notes with my mouth open. Unlike you I realised my mouth was opened and saliva had drip all over the notes. Perhaps you went to a good school. Your teachers are not booring so you have never seen class mates falling asleep in class. All you need is the exam tension (STPM/SPM/SRP) and you will see the open mouth with saliva driping. Then you will know you are under pressure the past 3 years. I am sure it did not happen every night for the past 3 years, right?
Forget the "i did not get a bigger mouth" phrase. My failed attempt at humour.

I did sleep with my mouth close. Just that somewhere along the night, my mouth must have opened without me knowing.
I went to not a good school, but a strict one. Sleep and the duster comes flying.
Tats why I asked whether it was stress or not. The thing is, even when I'm having a sem break, I'm still dribbling in my sleep. So i wonder if it sorta became a habit already. (it used to be PMR in my time... change already ka? I'm so outdated.)

Added on November 3, 2010, 12:59 am
QUOTE(faceless @ Nov 2 2010, 02:01 PM)
Well, slimey stuff is very "jijit". I will not be that certain it will not cause a decline in market value.
Don't go and broadcast it ma nobahdee knows lo. Make it a surprise. tongue.gif So guys, beware. When u see pretty girls on the street, imagine them dribbling in their sleep. Not so pweety anymore, eh? biggrin.gif

Added on November 3, 2010, 1:00 am
QUOTE(PF T.J. @ Nov 2 2010, 03:09 PM)
I don't think there's nothing much you can do there TS except by practicing a better sleeping posture...  nod.gif
Used to wet my notes as well when accidentally fell asleep (with mouth open of course, no other alternative sleeping postures on the desk I think hehe  laugh.gif ), probably due to exhaustion as what most sifus here has suggested...  laugh.gif

Don't overexert yourself TS then should be okay lo  icon_rolleyes.gif
Yalo yalo.. I also think one of the best solution is with a sleeping posture that is good. But have to sleep in the same position and wake up like tat also.. very hard lorh... cannot turn here turn there.

Added on November 3, 2010, 1:03 am
QUOTE(night @ Nov 2 2010, 11:01 AM)
I do not think it is necessary for you to consult a doctor over such petty issue. Some doc will be crazy enough to ask you to go for an operation. My sis hand sweats alot and the doc suggested her to go for an operation.

Just try your best to sleep with your mouth close. And when you're sleeping, try to sleep with your face facing upward. Then not only your mouth will be dry, you won't have the "caked" feeling as you mentioned earlier.

And no worry. Your market value will not drop over such small issue.
I also think sleep facing upward is very good. But then... I doubt I'll wake up facing upward also. During sleep sure turn and turn and toss and turn de.

Added on November 3, 2010, 1:04 am
QUOTE(SilentSerpent @ Nov 2 2010, 06:28 PM)
yeah, if ts is pretty, even that won't decrease the market value.
heck, it could even increase her market value.
big mouth, likes to open mouth, lots of saliva.. you know what i mean.

err ok.
back to the topic, the best thing for you is to just improve your sleeping habit,
and practice shutting your mouth while sleeping.
biggrin.gif
The mouth. was. shut. But open somehow. During sleep. I cannot control it. cry.gif

Added on November 3, 2010, 1:13 am
QUOTE(g r a p e k e y @ Nov 3 2010, 12:08 AM)
you sound sweet jingle =)

try googling up.. =)

Added on November 3, 2010, 12:16 am

something not very nice of you to say smile.gif
Hehe... thanks... my room many ants. got the link after googling... see what u think?

Added on November 3, 2010, 1:29 am
QUOTE(night @ Nov 2 2010, 11:33 PM)
It's been almost two nights since you created this thread. How was the results after listening to our advice? You should update us on your progress so that we can keep track on it.
I havent sleep for the past few night... only nap a couple of hours or two.. a lot of datelines. But I'll let u guys know my progress. Finally get to sleep tonight. yay!

Added on November 3, 2010, 1:37 am
QUOTE(iamyuanwu @ Nov 2 2010, 11:21 PM)
Sarcasm fail. Haha incredible.

Added on November 2, 2010, 11:23 pm...like, err... spitting at your face?
HAHAHAHA...rofl

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Nov 3 2010, 01:37 AM
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 3 2010, 04:25 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(mhb @ Nov 3 2010, 03:37 AM)
Change your sleeping position.

It WILL help.
Please advise. Change how? Like I can sleep facing the ceiling. But when i fall asleep, sooner or later, i start to toss and turn. then I will turn to a more comfortable position which encourages saliva flow out from mouth.
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 3 2010, 12:25 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(PF T.J. @ Nov 3 2010, 11:07 AM)
I guess practice makes perfect  nod.gif
Perhaps can try to constantly reminding yourself to sleep facing the ceiling or something... Maybe can try sleeping with both hands under the pillow (under your head)?
I know its kind of hard because I too cannot control which sleeping posture I "apply" while sleeping haha  doh.gif
Nods. The subconscious takes over. Can't help it.

Added on November 3, 2010, 12:26 pm
QUOTE(bigbangformula @ Nov 3 2010, 11:12 AM)
Tie yourself up then  laugh.gif
It's my sleep.... T.T Tie myself up during a sleep... so cham.

Added on November 3, 2010, 12:27 pm
QUOTE(PF T.J. @ Nov 3 2010, 11:18 AM)
or..... we can help you  laugh.gif
Man I sound like a perv hehe!
Heh... no need la.... heh... tq...?

Added on November 3, 2010, 12:31 pm
QUOTE(faceless @ Nov 3 2010, 11:18 AM)
I have yet to see a person who need to have his mouth open in oder to fall asleep.
It had not been developed into a new habit. Consciousness is required to create a habit.
To cut the long story short, you can take SPR as the old name for PMR (There is no need to get into details. This is not Education Essentials). You are not outdated. You just dont know your history.

I dont think anyone can control it either. Reduce/eliminate the stress and get sufficient sleep then the mouth will not open while in the midst of sleep.

It seems like your current lifestyle is helping your mouth to open while in the midst of your sleep.
Just want to clarify that I didnt open my mouth when I sleep... many seems to think so. tongue.gif
Ahh... the old PMR... nope... sejarah didnt teach. (OOT)
You mean to say, stress and insufficient sleep will cause my mouth to open during sleep?

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Nov 3 2010, 12:31 PM
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 3 2010, 12:38 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(night @ Nov 3 2010, 11:27 AM)
Try placing a towel under your head. When saliva tends to flow out from your mouth, the towel will absorb them instead of your pillow. At least you feel comfortable. We can't do much here because you're not facing any sickness nor any health problem. The solution is within your sleeping postures.
Haih... it'd help not staining the pillowcase and pillow.
Yea... the posture. Just wanna know if anyone had the same problem and overcame it. Might do me some help.

Updates updates...
Slept well last night, made sure I slept facing the ceiling and I sleep against the wall, so I wont move much. When I wake up, still the same position, but got very little saliva (dried up) at the side of my mouth, one side only... sorta help... a lot... at least it's not flooding anymore. biggrin.gif
TSJingle_bubbles
post Nov 3 2010, 05:06 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(faceless @ Nov 3 2010, 12:37 PM)
I believe a lot of forumer had been trying to tell you that.
rclxub.gif I thought they were telling me about my sleeping position/posture? rclxub.gif
Some say totally ntg to do with stress. rclxub.gif

Added on November 3, 2010, 5:07 pm
QUOTE(night @ Nov 3 2010, 12:45 PM)
I'm not too sure about this as I am not facing any serious stress and I'm breathing through my mouth. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Probably I’m used with this as I tend to breathe in through my mouth as I am once an asthmatic patient. Now totally heal already.
U breathe in through ur mouth, but u dont have saliva coming out? U sleep facing the ceiling or not?

Added on November 3, 2010, 5:18 pm
QUOTE(faceless @ Nov 3 2010, 02:58 PM)
I do not know what to say about your case, Night.

As I know it, stress and lack of sleep causes the following
1) Snoring (for people who dont snore)
2) Drooling
3) Grinding of teeth while sleeping (check it out here http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/493867 )
4) Strange things (check it out here http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1314050 )
Ooo... informative. Thx.

This post has been edited by Jingle_bubbles: Nov 3 2010, 05:18 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:40 PM