Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Folding@Malaysia needs your help!, OC gurus, please read!

views

TSDiademz
post Oct 29 2010, 02:30 PM, updated 14y ago

Folding@Malaysia needs you!
Group Icon
VIP
1,246 posts

*Posted with permission from our kind moderators*

Hello fellow hardware guru's and overclockers,

The LYN forums need your help.

More specifically, the Folding@Malaysia team needs your assistance.

1. What is Folding@Malaysia (F@M)?
The team was formed over 7 years ago and are involved in a distributed computing project called Folding@Home (F@H). This is a project created by reknowned Stanford University in the USA and its main purpose is to find cures for protein-related diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, cancer, Huntington's diseases, and others.

Basically, you use your PC's spare CPU/GPU cycles to perform simulations of protein folding. We typically use our PC for Internet surfing, MS Office type tasks - light tasks. So the CPU (and GPU) are idling - this idle capacity can be dedicated to F@H, to help find cures for these diseases!

For more information, please check out the FAQ at the F@M forums.

2. Why should I bother?
Other than indirectly doing charity work on your PC (and hence accumulating alot of "goodness" for yourself wink.gif), there is also a friendly, global competition where most of the top forums/companies are participating in (Hardocp, Anandtech, xtremesystems, techreport, EVGA, Google, NVIDIA, etc). And this is why F@M was formed - so we as LYN forum'ers and patriotic Malaysians can contribute to this good cause together! This is where we can put lowyat.net on the global map!

Right now, we are ranked 66th and slowly sliding back, being overtaken by many other teams with more folders! So we need YOUR help! We can't be beaten by the others, we are lowyat.net! Let's show them who we are, and what we are capable of! lowyat.net boleh!

If you can spare some CPU and GPU cycles, please join us in this good cause!

3. How can I help?
You can download the F@H client here. There are a few different types of clients (CPU, GPU) and F@H also supports different OS (Windows, Linux, Mac, PS3). Please take a look at the official F@H guide for more information on these clients. Read below for a short section on these clients.

In summary, you can use a CPU-based client (uniprocessor or SMP) and/or the GPU client if you have a discrete gfx card like NVIDIA or ATI. YES! You can even fold on your CUDA cores or your Stream processors, and the advantage is typically 5-10 times faster than the CPU client :

user posted image

All you need to do is to download the client and start folding! Join F@M as team 2999 with your own userid!

4. Won't running the F@H client interfere with my PC usage/gaming?
It depends - if you use the CPU client then it automatically runs only when the CPU is idle, and so will *not* interfere with your daily usage, even when gaming!. If you use the GPU client and you play games, then it is recommended to temporarily pause/suspend the client before gaming.

For the hardcore overclockers, the F@H clients are also a good way of stress-testing the CPU/GPU. Whilst it will not send your CPU and GPU temperatures soaring like Prime95 or Furmark, it is nevertheless a good indication of stability as well.

5. What if folding does not produce a cure?
In the end, folding will not produce the cure, it has and will continue to produce results for researchers to study. These results teach us things we did not know, or had not considered. The more we learn, the more we adapt our understanding of nature and its mysteries. Folding will never replace the human mind. And with the right tools, time, and curiosity, eventually a cure will be found. If you have a friend, relative, or know of someone suffering from these diseases, help find a cure by joining this great project!

We know there are many, many hardcore PC guru's here in LYN, and the level of expertise here probably equals the gurus in forums like HardOCP, Anandtech, xtreamesystems, Techreport, etc. These forums all have their own F@H teams and are doing very well - let's show these guys that we in LYN forums are just as good, if not better! Let's try to give these guys some real competition!

Please do join us at the Folding@Malaysia forums, and post any questions you have - we will be glad to help!

Added on November 1, 2010, 11:08 amHello OC gurus,

I see that you are a little hesitant to participate - please feel free to post your queries/questions in the F@M forums. We already have a few new joiners from the HW forums - this is for a good cause (finding cures for cancers, Alzheimer's diseases, Parkinson's disease) and you are making use of your CPU/GPU to assist !

Fold on! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Diademz: Nov 1 2010, 11:08 AM
hackcremo
post Dec 26 2010, 03:40 PM

Regular
1,299 posts

It seem like those pupil love to overclock, only for benchmark, number and pride.. They dont want use it for community..its really sad..
kuntawakaw
post Dec 26 2010, 04:28 PM

imma tag fag!
3,795 posts

QUOTE(hackcremo @ Dec 26 2010, 03:40 PM)
It seem like those pupil love to overclock, only for benchmark, number and pride.. They dont want use it for community..its really sad..
u cant say like that..
ok..heres my opinion

i oc, not for daily usage..
i keep restart pc, keep getting bsod and other..
those things not permit me to participate..

well.. oc is not meant for pride, its my hobby and i do it everyday.. if i join, it will hinder me to do my hobby...

if those ppl that oc, and once get a sweet spot for the system, and stay with the setting until die, ok to take part.. but if me, i think i cant go anywhere with the folding..

and also, no one replying this thread means no one is folding..
hackcremo
post Dec 26 2010, 04:55 PM

Regular
1,299 posts

QUOTE(kuntawakaw @ Dec 26 2010, 04:28 PM)
u cant say like that..
ok..heres my opinion

i oc, not for daily usage..
i keep restart pc, keep getting bsod and other..
those things not permit me to participate..

well.. oc is not meant for pride, its my hobby and i do it everyday.. if i join, it will hinder me to do my hobby...

if those ppl that oc, and once get a sweet spot for the system, and stay with the setting until die, ok to take part.. but if me, i think i cant go anywhere with the folding..

and also, no one replying this thread means no one is folding..
First of all, i am really sorry for being rude to this thread... sweat.gif

I am not meant to do that, when I saw no no one response towards this thread i feel very sad..

You guys have such a nice rig with higher performance (almost all overclokers want performance) however dont want to contribute.. shakehead.gif

I hope overclockers in this thread have a spirit to overclock and contribute towards community at the same time, that a real overclockers to me..

To me after overclcok, I wanna make use of it 100%, not just run benchmark then it not be fully utilize anymore..only run some unintensive programme..

12 hours of prime= stability
12 hours of folding@home= stability+contribution..

is not that hard..

For example on EVGA forum, almost all of them do overclock and same time folding@home..thats the spirit we want.. thumbup.gif

I hope I dont hurt any1 feelings.. notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by hackcremo: Dec 26 2010, 04:59 PM
dblooi
post Dec 26 2010, 10:52 PM

1,404 posts

QUOTE(hackcremo @ Dec 26 2010, 04:55 PM)
First of all, i am really sorry for being rude to this thread... sweat.gif

I am not meant to do that, when I saw no no one response towards this thread i feel very sad..

You guys have such a nice rig with higher performance (almost all overclokers want performance) however dont want to contribute.. shakehead.gif

I hope overclockers in this thread have a spirit to overclock and contribute towards community at the same time, that a real overclockers to me..

To me after overclcok, I wanna make use of it 100%, not just run benchmark then it not be fully utilize anymore..only run some unintensive programme..

12 hours of prime= stability
12 hours of folding@home= stability+contribution..

is not that hard..

For example on EVGA forum, almost all of them do overclock and same time folding@home..thats the spirit we want.. thumbup.gif

I hope I dont hurt any1 feelings.. notworthy.gif
My friend, folding is charity work.
Not sure whether have you involved in charity work before,
The thumb rule of everything - Not to be pissed to one if he/she refuse to make donation.

Also, instead of just posting a thread here & waiting for replies passively,
IMHO, actually there are more you can do.
For eg. , try to reply those overclocking threads, approach to overclockers proactively.
Sometimes people don't reply just because they are not familiar with you.
It could be different story when communication/ interacting activities take part.
I'm sure fellows folders in EVGA forum have done some great work in promoting folding to fellow overclockers.

Talk about overclock, not every people practise the same overclocking pattern as mentioned by bro kunta.
Also, some overclockers are particularly concern on electricity/ wattage usage. (Eg. me tongue.gif )

And talk about contribution to the commmunity, would you mind to share a little bit on what kinda cure/ achievements have been created via folding,
and the cures have been applied widely in medical industry etc etc stuffs like that.
Because from what I've seen, it's just professor x, doctor Y have been awarded with xyz awards stuffs like that.
It's all individuals from academia industry benefit from the folding at the end ( correct me if i'm wrong)
If you think it's not true, would you mind to enlighten me more on this?

This post has been edited by dblooi: Jan 20 2011, 01:54 PM
saturn85
post Dec 26 2010, 10:59 PM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

haha, it's ok, people have different goal.
it is all about voluntarily. biggrin.gif
but still hope overclocker here can join the team. brows.gif
TSDiademz
post Dec 27 2010, 02:00 PM

Group Icon
VIP
1,246 posts

You're spot on dblooi - F@H IS indeed a form of charity, and is absolutely voluntary. As you can probably tell, hackremo is one of our most passionate members and like many of us is trying to encourage more LYN'ers to participate in this good cause.

You're also correct about participation in the OC forums - unfortunately not many of us are hardcore o/c'ers - I am still using a 4-year old C2D rig, and that is why we are trying to spur some interest especially for those of you with high-end rigs with powerful CPUs and GPUs. So our participation is somewhat limited both by our knowledge and also resources. Having said that, we do have a handful of members with i7 rigs.

As for contribution to the community, as per my first post, the whole aim of F@H is to try to understand the process of protein folding - this is a project originating from Stanford University and instead of investing in a multi-million dollar supercomputer, they chose to harness the power of distributed computing to do this, and hence F@H is born. To date, F@H is the world's most powerful "supercomputer" with donors worldwide contributing over 5.5 petaflops of computing power.

As with all scientific projects, the process of protein folding is very complex and what Stanford are doing is collecting and analysing our donor results and coming up with the corresponding scientific papers and publishing them in many scientific journals, ultimately improving the overall understanding of how we can try to find cures for diseases such as certain cancers, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and other protein-related diseases. So whilst it is still very theoretical, at least there is scientific proof that the science has advanced because of the folding community's contributions.

More details on this :
Recent post on the latest papers
Blog by F@H's founder Vijay Pande who is the Associate Professor in the Chemistry Dept of Stanford University on recent scientific achievements

Whilst it gives many of us a "feel-good" factor of doing something good for science, there is also the other aspect of F@H - which is the points-based system that Stanford has come up with mainly to make it a big attraction factor for those of us who fold, and consequently formation of many global IT forums/teams to participate in this project (EVGA being the top folding team now followed closely by HardOCP, Anandtech, etc)

I would say in terms of hardcore oc skills, we have guys like you who are extreme (LN2 heh) and would easily match the top oc'ers in the global community. So we're trying to put Folding@Malaysia (and LYN as well as this is F@M's home) on the global map as well, and need everyone's help to do so.

Once again, it is absolutely voluntary - and btw the folding clients are also good ways for stress-testing your rig for stability (eg it could pass p95 but could still fail when crunching on the folding client).

Let us know if anyone else has further questions - we'd be glad to answer them, or do drop by the F@M forums even if you don't fold, to see what it's like.

Overclock on, and fold on too! biggrin.gif

dafreak
post Jan 13 2011, 12:18 PM

Regular
1,064 posts

on the side note, some people like me runs BOINC instead of F@H

currently participating in Einstein@home, seti@home & rosetta@home
saturn85
post Jan 17 2011, 04:32 PM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

QUOTE(dafreak @ Jan 13 2011, 12:18 PM)

wah, still got so many one? shocking.gif
must understand what is BOINC first.
F@H not run on BOINC platform? unsure.gif
TSDiademz
post Feb 9 2011, 11:23 PM

Group Icon
VIP
1,246 posts

QUOTE(dafreak @ Jan 13 2011, 12:18 PM)

Nice! I used to do seti@home before moving over to F@H many years back - they are all good causes no doubt - just do which one feels closer to your heart.

Wanna switch one of them for F@H and help F@M out? smile.gif
saturn85
post Feb 10 2011, 06:48 PM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

QUOTE(Diademz @ Feb 9 2011, 11:23 PM)
Nice! I used to do seti@home before moving over to F@H many years back - they are all good causes no doubt - just do which one feels closer to your heart.
woo, bro Diademz do seti@home before.
just wonder currently among these xxx@home project.
which one is the largest one? unsure.gif
TSDiademz
post Feb 12 2011, 11:49 AM

Group Icon
VIP
1,246 posts

QUOTE(saturn85 @ Feb 10 2011, 06:48 PM)
woo, bro Diademz do seti@home before.
just wonder currently among these xxx@home project.
which one is the largest one? unsure.gif
Definitely Folding@Home smile.gif
saturn85
post Feb 15 2011, 03:53 PM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

i see, looks like we are contributing to the largest distributed computing. biggrin.gif
Dennos
post Apr 19 2011, 11:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,736 posts

looks like oc kaki is not here
saturn85
post Apr 20 2011, 01:46 AM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

QUOTE(Dennos @ Apr 19 2011, 11:49 PM)
looks like oc kaki is not here
hehe, you can be the overclock kaki. brows.gif
i play overclock as well, but not extreme. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by saturn85: Apr 20 2011, 02:16 AM
jeff88rey
post May 24 2011, 08:58 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

mayb will try it out of curiosity =D
powerwoot
post May 24 2011, 10:31 PM

讨厌的 ubuntu
2,922 posts

fold on brothers! fold on nod.gif
saturn85
post May 25 2011, 01:44 AM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

QUOTE(jeff88rey @ May 24 2011, 08:58 PM)
mayb will try it out of curiosity =D
welcome bro. rclxms.gif
do visit the forum. biggrin.gif
kakicam
post May 25 2011, 03:25 PM

Enthusiast
992 posts

do i need to on my pc 24/7 for this to work..?
saturn85
post May 25 2011, 10:46 PM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

QUOTE(kakicam @ May 25 2011, 03:25 PM)
do i need to on my pc 24/7 for this to work..?
not necessary need 24/7. biggrin.gif
just fold at any time you wish.
but of course you can fold 24/7. rclxms.gif

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0219sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:13 AM