Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Using your iPad at Work/Study, What works for you and what doesn't?

views

TSMavik
post Sep 22 2010, 11:43 AM, updated 11y ago

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
6,458 posts

I have an iPad which I am constantly trying to figure out how I can use it for work.

Most of the time, I just take notes with Pages, meeting minutes with Pages as well and then later email it to my corporate account to be distributed.

I also use iBooks and Dropbox to sync, store and read PDF documents especially as reference during meetings.

I tried reading PPT files via Dropbox but I noticed that the alignment for some of the graphics, text boxes get screwed up so most of the time I convert them to PDF for reference purposes.

Since my work laptop is locked down, I can't install iTunes on it hence it gets quite difficult to fully utilize the iPad at work.

How about you guys? Any recommended applications or methods or working?
Lord_Ashe
post Sep 22 2010, 11:47 AM

Old Treasure Hunter Sidekick
1,487 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Sep 22 2010, 11:43 AM)
I have an iPad which I am constantly trying to figure out how I can use it for work.

Most of the time, I just take notes with Pages, meeting minutes with Pages as well and then later email it to my corporate account to be distributed.

I also use iBooks and Dropbox to sync, store and read PDF documents especially as reference during meetings.

I tried reading PPT files via Dropbox but I noticed that the alignment for some of the graphics, text boxes get screwed up so most of the time I convert them to PDF for reference purposes.

Since my work laptop is locked down, I can't install iTunes on it hence it gets quite difficult to fully utilize the iPad at work.

How about you guys? Any recommended applications or methods or working?
I had the same problem. In the end I sold off my iPad and bought a new laptop.
nate_nightroad
post Sep 22 2010, 11:49 AM

Endless numbered days...
3,220 posts

use netbook with ubuntu,colleague wont even know what u r using...no one touches my stuff...dont even know wth they r looking at
beluncaz
post Sep 22 2010, 11:49 AM

29 posts

ipad not suitable for your working environment
chamelion
post Sep 22 2010, 12:18 PM

Back to Bricking
2,709 posts

if it for work, then company is the one should pay.
why u pay the toy to bring to work?
dinodog_Jr
post Sep 22 2010, 01:04 PM

I am not a dog
3,812 posts

Yea..I feel typing on ipad is not faster than what i could do on hardware keyboard.. I only type for chatting session. Guess need more practise to get as good as like a keyboard. Its doable anyway.

It is a picture/document reference besides my working station...So i can fully utilize the whole monitor screen for programs.

I haven't found a way to replace my daily working stuff on ipad yet.

Until now, i still treat it as entertainment device instead of a getting my job done tool.

Gaming is so much fun on ipad..haha..
Now my life become more "works" to do now.. Aiks...
zhou86
post Sep 22 2010, 01:32 PM

Keroppi!!!
3,616 posts

Well, for work, people normally use it for emails on the go. Check out financial news, magazines, newspapers and of course making notes. For making notes, with the stylus is much easier I think...
And also there's a super good organizer for planning as well as contact book...etc...

In the future, OS4.2, there will be wireless print, so you can print your documents wireless from the Ipad to a wireless printer.

Plus I am sure there are apps on the market which will definitely help in your work, you just have to search for it.

Maybe this article will help, showing how this person use it for work, and there's also a Top 20 Apps for Ipad...
But its is well known that Ipad CANNOT replace a pc, you still need a pc to do some of the more hardcore stuffs...

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=5941&tag=nl.e101

This article is also good: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=4137

This post has been edited by zhou86: Sep 22 2010, 01:36 PM
TechnoDude94
post Sep 22 2010, 01:47 PM

Learn • Love • Eat • Train • Sleep
6,738 posts

@Mavik: You don't need iTunes to take full advantage of your iPad unless you wanna sync your music/videos to your iPad. As for apps, you can download them directly into your iPad through the built-in App Store. Just my 2 cents.
TSMavik
post Sep 22 2010, 03:07 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
6,458 posts

QUOTE(TechnoDude94 @ Sep 22 2010, 01:47 PM)
@Mavik: You don't need iTunes to take full advantage of your iPad unless you wanna sync your music/videos to your iPad. As for apps, you can download them directly into your iPad through the built-in App Store. Just my 2 cents.
Its not about getting Apps, e.g. iTunes is also used by the iWork suite to transfer files and documents from the PC to the iPad. Hence the workaround for me is to use Dropbox which does that over the cloud.

Added on September 22, 2010, 3:10 pm
QUOTE(nate_nightroad @ Sep 22 2010, 11:49 AM)
use netbook with ubuntu,colleague wont even know what u r using...no one touches my stuff...dont even know wth they r looking at
I hate netbooks, I rather carry two laptops to work than use a netbook.

Added on September 22, 2010, 3:12 pm
QUOTE(chamelion @ Sep 22 2010, 12:18 PM)
if it for work, then company is the one should pay.
why u pay the toy to bring to work?
It's not only to be used for work, I also use it to show photos to my clients as well as use it personally. I am trying to get even more use out of it during work as well so I can eliminate the need to carry more notebooks (the paper versions) as well as documents about. Just figuring some methods to make things more efficient, reduce the need for printing materials and save paper wastage.

Added on September 22, 2010, 3:14 pm
QUOTE(beluncaz @ Sep 22 2010, 11:49 AM)
ipad not suitable for your working environment
Perhaps you can care to provide more facts first before just rubbishing it off as not suitable?

This post has been edited by Mavik: Sep 22 2010, 03:14 PM
bidfordun
post Sep 22 2010, 03:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,228 posts

Ppt is excel file rite? Mayb u wana try out goodreader?

zhou86
post Sep 22 2010, 03:32 PM

Keroppi!!!
3,616 posts

PPT is powerpoint file. XLS is excel...
ben16
post Sep 22 2010, 04:35 PM

Getting Started
81 posts

1 thing I have not figured out is how to keep my e-mail accounts in sync across platforms.

I have notebook, desktop (both windows) and iphone and ipad. What I have read in desktop shows up unread on ipad. To go through 100+ e-mail in order to clean up is no joke.
Anyone knows how to mark all e-mail 'read'.
fhyzal garcia
post Sep 22 2010, 05:05 PM

11 posts

as a photographer i mostly using my ipad taking pictures and directly transfer by using camera connection kits...i am also upload all my portfolio (images) into ipad to show to my client while my client was enjoy play with the ipad to look out the images smile.gif
TechnoDude94
post Sep 22 2010, 06:06 PM

6,738 posts

@Mavik: I would also like to recommend "Documents to Go". It's able to open most (if not all) work-related document file types created by Microsoft Office. Just my 2 cents.
AiRBooM
post Sep 22 2010, 08:55 PM

超低能,勁搞笑
1,562 posts

QUOTE(fhyzal garcia @ Sep 22 2010, 06:05 PM)
as a photographer i mostly using my ipad taking pictures and directly transfer by using camera connection kits...i am also upload all my portfolio (images) into ipad to show to my client while my client was enjoy play with the ipad to look out the images smile.gif
How can you take pictures with your iPad? external camera ?
TSMavik
post Sep 22 2010, 10:33 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
6,458 posts

QUOTE(ben16 @ Sep 22 2010, 04:35 PM)
1 thing I have not figured out is how to keep my e-mail accounts in sync across platforms.

I have notebook, desktop (both windows) and iphone and ipad. What I have read in desktop shows up unread on ipad. To go through 100+ e-mail in order to clean up is no joke.
Anyone knows how to mark all e-mail 'read'.
Your email accounts have to be IMAP then it will be synced. E.g. Gmail does that for me, company exchange mail as well
arthurlwf
post Sep 22 2010, 10:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,537 posts

QUOTE(TechnoDude94 @ Sep 22 2010, 06:06 PM)
@Mavik: I would also like to recommend "Documents to Go". It's able to open most (if not all) work-related document file types created by Microsoft Office. Just my 2 cents.
I've tried to use Document to Go, but the apps is not user friendly in iPad...
Wanted to get Quick Office HD but no charts in the spreadsheet... sweat.gif sweat.gif
Wanted to get Numbers but permanently stuck to iPad... rclxub.gif rclxub.gif
sigh... really no good office apps
mohamadfazli
post Sep 23 2010, 01:25 AM

Getting Started
80 posts

I use it for:

Emailing at cafes
Meetings - referring to docs via documents to go
Presentation during one 2 one session
Manage my travels via trip it and flight track
Light documentation work using document To go

Fact of the matter, it does not replace the notebook but it complements it, especially for the road warriors.

TechnoDude94
post Sep 23 2010, 09:42 AM

6,738 posts

@AiRBooM: You can't take pictures with your iPad. He takes pictures with his camera and he transfers it immediately to his iPad for his clients viewing pleasure via the camera kit.
sembilan
post Sep 23 2010, 10:00 AM

On my way
623 posts

Hi, i'm about to plonk my money down for an ipad but i was just wondering if some kind souls here can help me. I did read quite a lot regarding ipad but i thought comments from its users are the most relevant ones. Here goes, i will use the ipad when i travel and my work requires me to review reports that are in MS Word (docx format) with charts and all. My question is, is there any apps in the market today that has the "track change" function because as far as i'm concerned, Pages doesn't have the function and it's critical for me to have that function. How about any other word processing apps, and will these apps display the formatting properly or will it "run" a bit?

thank you in advance!

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0257sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th September 2021 - 02:36 AM