Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Increase StarCraft 2 Performance, Come here and share ~

views

TSwilsonphua
post Aug 3 2010, 07:29 PM, updated 14y ago

Gear Up. Game On.
2,152 posts

These are some of the ways to increase StarCraft 2 and any games performances.

1. Use Riva Tuner and overclock your graphic card. (The best way but I suggest you not to try it because it can cause overheating and can reduce the lifespan of your PC).

2. Run the game on the lowest settings, you can go to IGN and see the graphics comparison. http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/850126/starc...son_073010.html

3. Start StarCraft 2. When the game is started, go to task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del. Switch to processes on task manager to where it shows all the processes running on your pc. Find SC2.exe and right click it. Hover down to "Set Priority" and set it to high (Do not set to realtime! Will cause severe system lagg!) Continue playing your game.

4. Download Game Booster and stop all unnecessary programs. It can help you to optimise your PC for a smoother and more responsive gameplay. It also cleans your RAM and intensifies your processor performance.

5. Right click your desktop and click on NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL. Go to "Adjust image settings with preview". Then, you mark on "Use my preference emphasizing" and go for "performance", instead of "balance" or "quality".

6. Click Start. Go to Control Panel. In the search box, search for "PERFORMANCE". Click on "PERFORMANCE INFORMATION AND TOOLS". Click on "ADJUST VISUAL EFFECTS". Then, mark on "ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE" and click "APPLY". Your Windows now will look very ugly but your game performance should increase a bit.

7. I'm not sure if you can lower the resolution of StarCraft 2 to 800x600 or 640x480. But you could try ask someone to edit the Variables.txt in My Documents.

All right. Thats all I can think of. If you are still not satisfied with the performance, then you should get a new graphic card.

If you're using a laptop like me, then you cant upgrade your laptop, so buy a new desktop.

Anymore steps to increase the performance?

This post has been edited by wilsonphua: Aug 3 2010, 07:31 PM
Laguna
post Aug 3 2010, 07:48 PM

Casual
313 posts

Good tips will be trying it out ^^ but in my case I am using Internal graphic card and running on a laptop I hope i can play with the lowest setting .
GEFORCEXTREME
post Aug 3 2010, 08:24 PM

Getting Started
60 posts

Sorry if there is anyone who is still using 2GB of RAM like me, you must get at least 4 GB, because this stupid game uses over 1GB of RAM! I can run FPS fine but not this.
TSwilsonphua
post Aug 3 2010, 08:55 PM

Gear Up. Game On.
2,152 posts

QUOTE(Laguna @ Aug 3 2010, 07:48 PM)
Good tips will be trying it out ^^ but in my case I am using Internal graphic card and running on a laptop  I hope i can play with the lowest setting .
You mean you're using dedicated graphic card like nvidia for your laptop or integrated chip or some random graphic accelerator?

Btw, my friend's Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD can actually play the game. I was surprised. But it was laggy.

QUOTE(GEFORCEXTREME @ Aug 3 2010, 08:24 PM)
Sorry if there is anyone who is still using 2GB of RAM like me, you must get at least 4 GB, because this stupid game uses over 1GB of RAM! I can run FPS fine but not this.
I don't find any problem with running the skirmish mode. But in single player campaign, owh, it lags. Especially when all the zergs try to invade my base. Fck.
Laguna
post Aug 3 2010, 09:25 PM

Casual
313 posts

QUOTE(wilsonphua @ Aug 3 2010, 08:55 PM)
You mean you're using dedicated graphic card like nvidia for your laptop or integrated chip or some random graphic accelerator?

Btw, my friend's Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD can actually play the game. I was surprised. But it was laggy.
I don't find any problem with running the skirmish mode. But in single player campaign, owh, it lags. Especially when all the zergs try to invade my base. Fck.
I am using internal graphic media accelerator same as yours yes I have tried it out on beta but the lag was unbearable I cant get it to run as smooth as Broodwar did .
TSwilsonphua
post Aug 3 2010, 09:31 PM

Gear Up. Game On.
2,152 posts

QUOTE(Laguna @ Aug 3 2010, 09:25 PM)
I am using internal graphic media accelerator same as yours yes I have tried it out on beta but the lag was unbearable I cant get it to run as smooth as Broodwar did .
Then, I think you have to skip most of the videos in single player campaign. Multiplayer shud not be a problem since you can run the beta....i think
Laguna
post Aug 3 2010, 09:37 PM

Casual
313 posts

QUOTE(wilsonphua @ Aug 3 2010, 09:31 PM)
Then, I think you have to skip most of the videos in single player campaign. Multiplayer shud not be a problem since you can run the beta....i think
Videos will crash my games ??? cry.gif
deodorant
post Aug 3 2010, 09:55 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

cos the videos are all rendered in-game smile.gif

my 2-month old laptop with 5470 can only run on low settings @ 720p ... crappy video card means crappy sad.gif but don't care lah since still can play ... lol.
Forgotten06
post Aug 3 2010, 09:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,950 posts

That explains why my SC2 is quite laggy on times
TSwilsonphua
post Aug 3 2010, 10:58 PM

Gear Up. Game On.
2,152 posts

QUOTE(Laguna @ Aug 3 2010, 09:37 PM)
Videos will crash my games ???  cry.gif
The videos won't crash. Maybe it will lag a bit, as in the videos and audio become disorientated.

Like what happened to my Assassin's Creed 2.

QUOTE(deodorant @ Aug 3 2010, 09:55 PM)
cos the videos are all rendered in-game smile.gif

my 2-month old laptop with 5470 can only run on low settings @ 720p ... crappy video card means crappy sad.gif but don't care lah since still can play ... lol.
whats 720p? lol, im noob at this
ZeratoS
post Aug 3 2010, 10:59 PM

Oh you.
1,044 posts

Apparently only my XPS M1530 makes the game laggy, others using the same GPU (8600M GT 256MBDDR3) aren't lagging and play smoothly. Stupid mass rendering many unit spawns.

seraph8660
post Aug 3 2010, 11:04 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

add this one.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Source

nanodust
post Aug 3 2010, 11:40 PM

3 posts

I am using 2 gb ram too, this game is very playable with low ram, just turn your graphic lower then should be fine, me using medium setting, 3v3 no lag,
this starcraft 2 has very good graphic even with medium setting,my rig is 2.0ghz athlon x2, 2gb ddr2,and 8800gt.
munchu87
post Aug 3 2010, 11:46 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

i wonder what graphic card u need to do ultra high settings...
Insydious
post Aug 3 2010, 11:58 PM

Powaaaaah
894 posts

QUOTE(munchu87 @ Aug 3 2010, 11:46 PM)
erm a 8800gt and above will do just fine. My lappy can handle it at ultra np.
fizyboy
post Aug 4 2010, 06:25 AM

Getting Started
280 posts

Hey guys,
in need of some advices here

This is my current PC spec:
CODE
Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Mobo: Gigabyte 965P-DS3
RAM: 2GB HyperX PC6400 DDR800 CL4-4-4
GPU: 1GB DDR5 ATI ASUS EAH5750

I'm able to play at high setting but still choppy frame rate at times.. (which also forced me to play at low setting during multiplayer sessions)
I think Starcraft 2 is such a great game that i must enjoy the campaign at its all glory ultra setting!
So looking at my rig spec, i believe the processor seems to be the bottleneck right? and referring to this article, the game relies heavily on CPU more than GPU. and Phenom II X2 seems like a good value for money..

So that means i would need:
PHENOM II X2 555 (RM 319) + budget mobo

So my questions are:

- What's the recommended motherboard to be paired with the PHENOM II X2 555?
- Will there be a significant improvement over my current E6400 4years old processor?
- Will I be able to play comfortably at ultra setting (1680x1080 resolution) & decent frame rate?
- Or should i topup a little bit more for 4cores? (dont suggest me i7 lol i just want value for my bucks here)
- Is it a good investment?

TQ!

This post has been edited by fizyboy: Aug 4 2010, 06:58 AM
ngeseong
post Aug 4 2010, 08:39 AM

38 posts

QUOTE(fizyboy @ Aug 4 2010, 06:25 AM)
Hey guys,

CODE

I'm able to play at high setting but still choppy frame rate at times.. (which also forced me to play at low setting during multiplayer sessions)
I think Starcraft 2 is such a great game that i must enjoy the campaign at its all glory ultra setting!
So looking at my rig spec, i believe the processor seems to be the bottleneck right? and referring to this article, the game relies heavily on CPU more than GPU. and Phenom II X2 seems like a good value for money..

So my questions are:

- Will there be a significant improvement over my current E6400 4years old processor?
- Will I be able to play comfortably at ultra setting (1680x1080 resolution) & decent frame rate?
- Or should i topup a little bit more for 4cores? (dont suggest me i7 lol i just want value for my bucks here)

TQ!
Well to answer your question
1. I am not sure about AMD but their motherboards are overall cheaper than intel motherboards. When you go to the computer shop, asked them to recommend a good for you. There are basically two types, one is for overclocking and the other normal functions (usually cheaper)
2. As for performance wise, I am not sure. try this website. Its great cross cpu comparisons. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/58?vs=61
3. Yes, i think you can.
4. Nope if you want future proof then 4 cores if not 2 cores is good enough.
5. LOL AMD is always a better investment as u can get better performance per dollar
froz3nnoob
post Aug 4 2010, 09:41 AM

Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the tr
806 posts

QUOTE(munchu87 @ Aug 4 2010, 12:46 AM)
I using ATI 4800 and 2GB ram + Dual Core processor can play Starcraft 2 under Ultra graphic smile.gif
GEFORCEXTREME
post Aug 4 2010, 12:30 PM

Getting Started
60 posts

froz3nnoob,

Sure boh, I also same, in game graphics is ok but loading takes forever due to lack of RAM. I opened up a resource monitor and it show 2 GB ram totally used off on Win7 Pro 64-bit.
aLertz
post Aug 4 2010, 12:40 PM

Overconfidence is a flimsy shield
1,111 posts

ultra setting + win7 and my ram shoot up to 2.2GB smile.gif

recommended for ultra....4GB RAM
Insydious
post Aug 4 2010, 12:45 PM

Powaaaaah
894 posts

QUOTE(fizyboy @ Aug 4 2010, 06:25 AM)
Hey guys,

CODE

So my questions are:

TQ!
Hi, maybe you should try upgrading ure ram to 4GB 1st. This game also has a high ram usage, even my 4GB is a lil choppy at the start be4 it smoothens out. If that doesnt work then get get a new cpu tongue.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:12 PM