Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

WTA & WTB: My Book Essential 1TB USB2.0 AC Adapter, My Book Essential 1TB USB2.0 AC Adapter

views

TSandyreymex
post Jul 25 2010, 09:28 PM, updated 12y ago

Getting Started
165 posts

Greetings,

I bought this new Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB USB2.0 since last December. It works pretty well until last Friday when I came back from outings, I realized the external hard drive won't power on. I tested on other power outlets and no reactions from it. The rest of the connected devices such as laptop, table lamp and 2.1 speakers which along with the external hard disk AC Adapter are working well. I tried smelling the AC Adapter and the external hard drive if there were any burnt smells, but there weren't. I was tired of all day outings and thought of going back where I bought it, which is at Digital Mall.

So the following day after work, I went to the shop, let the tech tested out. Firstly, the tech tested out the AC Adapter with sort of a power testing device (technically I don't know what it's called), and there were no reactions comes from the AC Adapter. After that, he recommend me to have the whole set of the external hard drive to be sent for repair. Before he finished his words, he reminded me that if the hard drive would have been a faulty, the supplier will replace a new one or maybe during the repairs will lead to data loss. If anyone heard of this, including me, will definitely depressed by feeling those words. 1TB of all the important documents and files... I myself as a musician, all my compositions, instruments, saved files and all sort of things in relevant would have been nothing in return if I really do send it for repair, as I assume the data would be lost.

Therefore, I changed my mind, I asked the tech if I could buy the AC Adapter. The tech had no idea where to buy it and claims there are no shops selling parts for external hard drives. So I probe him if he could get me the supplier's address and he gave me. In my thoughts, I was thinking maybe if I try to go there myself and hopefully the technical supports will have better servicing such as testing out the hard drive to see if it's still working and even change for a new AC Adapter since it's 3 years under warranty.

Right now, what I need to ask about, is where can I buy the AC Adapter for the hard drive? It's like, you buy a laptop, you could buy an extra AC Adapter compatible with it, and if you buy a mobile phone, works the same right? Any items mostly you could get the parts. But why not external hard drives?

Anyone who can think of where to get, or who's selling the parts, or any solutions for this matter, please post a reply or PM me.

Help from you all is at most gratefully appreciated. Thanks for reading and hope to hear some news from you all soon.
Maximilius
post Jul 26 2010, 02:00 AM

1,499 posts

The warranty covers the AC adapter as well. Mine was toast due to lightning strike and got 1-to-1 exchange for the AC adapter from Viewnet as it was still within warranty period. The shop will claim for the faulty AC adapter directly from their distributor.
TSandyreymex
post Jul 26 2010, 06:26 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(Maximilius @ Jul 26 2010, 02:00 AM)
The warranty covers the AC adapter as well. Mine was toast due to lightning strike and got 1-to-1 exchange for the AC adapter from Viewnet as it was still within warranty period. The shop will claim for the faulty AC adapter directly from their distributor.
so you mean that they'll sent the whole set of the hard drive to the respective distributor or just the AC Adapter? Where's Viewnet anyway? Did you really tested out if the hard drive's really working? Do you think that the AC Adapter itself has a fuse to prevent short circuit?

Maybe you know the answers, maybe you don't. I'm just really keen to know what am i supposed to do without knowing the real cause of it.
Maximilius
post Jul 26 2010, 06:51 PM

1,499 posts

QUOTE(andyreymex @ Jul 26 2010, 06:26 PM)
so you mean that they'll sent the whole set of the hard drive to the respective distributor or just the AC Adapter? Where's Viewnet anyway? Did you really tested out if the hard drive's really working? Do you think that the AC Adapter itself has a fuse to prevent short circuit?

Maybe you know the answers, maybe you don't. I'm just really keen to know what am i supposed to do without knowing the real cause of it.
Viewnet in LowYat: http://www.viewnet.com.my

I brought along my HDD, AC adapter, and of course the receipt to the shop. I told them I suspect that it was a short circuit and I wasn't sure if its the HDD is dead or just the AC adapter. So they tested it out using my HDD and the faulty AC adapter, no go. They tried my AC adapter with one of the new HDD they have, no go. So then they tested a new AC adapter taken from their stock with my HDD, it works like a charm. So what they did was just take my faulty AC adapter and gave me a new one FOC.

Therefore, I believe the best way of testing it is by swapping the cables or swapping the HDD. Since the seller at the shop you went didn't really test out fully, I think he/she just doesn't want to go through the whole hassle of waiting for a single AC adapter to be compensated by WD. If you were the one sending the whole unit to WD for warranty claim, the burden is on you and doesn't affect the seller's business in any way.
TSandyreymex
post Jul 26 2010, 07:17 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(Maximilius @ Jul 26 2010, 06:51 PM)
Viewnet in LowYat: http://www.viewnet.com.my

I brought along my HDD, AC adapter, and of course the receipt to the shop. I told them I suspect that it was a short circuit and I wasn't sure if its the HDD is dead or just the AC adapter. So they tested it out using my HDD and the faulty AC adapter, no go. They tried my AC adapter with one of the new HDD they have, no go. So then they tested a new AC adapter taken from their stock with my HDD, it works like a charm. So what they did was just take my faulty AC adapter and gave me a new one FOC.

Therefore, I believe the best way of testing it is by swapping the cables or swapping the HDD. Since the seller at the shop you went didn't really test out fully, I think he/she just doesn't want to go through the whole hassle of waiting for a single AC adapter to be compensated by WD. If you were the one sending the whole unit to WD for warranty claim, the burden is on you and doesn't affect the seller's business in any way.
oh i see, so now the only resolution is i've gotta go to the supplier area at shah alam and do the same thing as you did before. since thundermatch had not been providing the efficient services that i needed, that's all it takes to take a trip there. thanks for the advice. if you have further options, pls let me know..

cheers...
Maximilius
post Jul 26 2010, 07:46 PM

1,499 posts

Wait.. you bought it at Thundermatch and they gave you that kind of service? Which outlet did you go to?

I bought my router (Aztech DSL605EW) from their outlet in Lowyat and had problems connecting via wireless, they just gave me a new one even though it was just the antenna thing not working.

I suggest that you go back to the store and demand for a replacement AC adapter. If they refuse, speak to the manager. Alternatively, you can go to their warranty claim department. If not, you can try your luck with WD directly. Of course choose whichever is more convenient for you.

You can check here: http://www.thundermatch.com.my/corporate/storelocator.html
kilowatt
post Apr 7 2011, 10:25 PM

AysNdj
717 posts

hello guys,

I had the same problem with my WD Mybook Home Edition 1TB adapter and i had come to this thread last time which I don't see any solution for me coz i hate RMA. so I already bought it last 2 months and it works perfect. I forgot to post reply after i bought it.

so here the name of the shop.

Lian Hup Electronic @ Jalan Pasar area

Price RM25 at the adapter shows 12V & 2A which can support the external .

AC Input 100-240Vac, 50-60Hz
0.55A Max.
DC Output 12Vdc -- 2A.

better bring along the external to make sure the end of that adapter can fit with the external.

here some pictures

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

hope it can help others wink.gif.

TSandyreymex
post Mar 30 2012, 08:42 AM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(kilowatt @ Apr 7 2011, 10:25 PM)
hello guys,

I had the same problem with my WD Mybook Home Edition 1TB adapter and i had come to this thread last time which I don't see any solution for me coz i hate RMA. so I already bought it last 2 months and it works perfect. I forgot to post reply after i bought it.

0.55A Max.
DC Output 12Vdc -- 2A.

better bring along the external to make sure the end of that adapter can fit with the external.

here some pictures

thanks for the info. i know that this has been years ago, i've changed a new one. now the new one again faulty. i supposed going to jalan pasar pudu there and get a similar one like yours.

thanks again.

-darn it, i think my speakers caused the problem while turning it on!
NazmiVDW
post Dec 15 2013, 03:50 PM

44 posts

QUOTE(kilowatt @ Apr 7 2011, 10:25 PM)
hello guys,

0.55A Max.
DC Output 12Vdc -- 2A.

here some pictures

Trust Lowyat to have a post for ALMOST anything smile.gif

i recently had a problem with my Buffalo HDD 1TB too, one day I was using it, and I went downstairs to have dinner. I returned shortly after only to find the hard disk not detected by my laptop. I tried reconnecting to no avail. Sent to a computer shop to check, they say that the AC adaptor is damaged and they dont sell it.

does lian hup electronics do poslaju delivery? Apparently there arent any tech shops in Sabah that sells AC adaptora for HDDs.
lex
post Dec 15 2013, 04:06 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(NazmiVDW @ Dec 15 2013, 03:50 PM)
Trust Lowyat to have a post for ALMOST anything smile.gif
You have just brought up a necro thread. Might as well create a new one specifically for your own problem/issue at hand... wink.gif

QUOTE(NazmiVDW @ Dec 15 2013, 03:50 PM)
i recently had a problem with my Buffalo HDD 1TB too, one day I was using it, and I went downstairs to have dinner. I returned shortly after only to find the hard disk not detected by my laptop. I tried reconnecting to no avail. Sent to a computer shop to check, they say that the AC adaptor is damaged and they dont sell it.

does lian hup electronics do poslaju delivery? Apparently there arent any tech shops in Sabah that sells AC adaptora for HDDs.
Damaged or malfunctioned? Two different meanings there. You can also modify any existing power adapters that has same and/or similar specificatons (same voltage, and same current rating or higher), by just simply transplanting the original power connector. icon_rolleyes.gif

ada7914
post Dec 15 2013, 04:14 PM

Getting Started
153 posts

QUOTE(lex @ Dec 15 2013, 04:06 PM)
You have just brought up a necro thread. Might as well create a new one specifically for your own problem/issue at hand... wink.gif

Damaged or malfunctioned? Two different meanings there. You can also modify any existing power adapters that has same and/or similar specificatons (same voltage, and same current rating or higher), by just simply transplanting the original power connector. icon_rolleyes.gif
supermarket also got sell this power adapter last time now maybe still have but that adapter have a volt controller 6v 9v 12v and such....u need to adjust to the right volt to equal with the external..and it comes with many output adapter to suit the usage ..here the sample..

user posted image
lex
post Dec 15 2013, 05:55 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(ada7914 @ Dec 15 2013, 04:14 PM)
supermarket also got sell this power adapter last time now maybe still have but that adapter have a volt controller 6v 9v 12v and such....u need to adjust to the right volt to equal with the external..and it comes with many output adapter to suit the usage ..here the sample..
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Check and see if the ones available are switching mode type or linear type. If its the switching mode type then should be fine. But beware of those linear types, because they do not output correct voltages. For example, on linear power adapters if select 12V you may get 16V instead (rule of thumb is to multiply by 1.4). Thus for linear power adapters, to get 12V have to select 9V instead. hmm.gif

This post has been edited by lex: Dec 15 2013, 05:56 PM
SUSEdBaaBaa
post Feb 9 2014, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(ada7914 @ Dec 15 2013, 04:14 PM)

user posted image
ada7914

May i know where you got this that can change Voltage? i go jusco / giant cannot find wor

lex

is the one in ada7914's pic switching mode type? linear types means those that cannot choose voltage ke?
Pwn me, pls dont - asking because really dunno.

lex
post Feb 10 2014, 12:25 AM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(EdBaaBaa @ Feb 9 2014, 01:25 PM)
lex

is the one in ada7914's pic switching mode type? linear types means those that cannot choose voltage ke?
Pwn me, pls dont - asking because really dunno.
Unless the brand and model is given, then cannot check. Linear types also have voltage selectable types. The only way to really confirm the output voltage of the adapter is to use a multimeter to measure. Another option is to find laptop power adapters or LCD/LED monitor power adapters with the correct voltage. These are usually switching type power supply. You can find them easily in places like Low Yat Plaza... icon_rolleyes.gif

SUSEdBaaBaa
post Feb 10 2014, 01:00 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

can give eg of brand n model for switching type pls?

i think i go lowyat plaza, ask the sales ppl chances are they also rclxub.gif ape switching ape linear
lex
post Feb 10 2014, 01:38 AM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(EdBaaBaa @ Feb 10 2014, 01:00 AM)
can give eg of brand n model for switching type pls?

i think i go lowyat plaza, ask the sales ppl chances are they also  rclxub.gif ape switching ape linear
I doubt most of the sales staff know the difference between switching and linear type, as mostly they are not technical people. Those switching power adapters usually look like this image below... icon_rolleyes.gif

Attached Image

SUSEdBaaBaa
post Feb 10 2014, 01:46 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

hmmm...

is there anything i can look for that will distinguish "switching" type from "linear" type?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0196sec    0.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:08 PM