Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

College/University for autistic, Any recommendation

views

TSFeliz
post Jul 22 2010, 11:04 PM, updated 14y ago

Getting Started
67 posts

Hey LYN..

I'm asking on behalf of my brother, who has just finished his SPM last year. He is an autistic children (Asperger syndrome) which means he has difficulties in social interaction and getting along with people. He hardly has any friends because of his hot-tempered behavior

The problem now is he has failed his BM test, and most of the university/ college in Malaysia require at least Credit to enroll.
He likes drawing and he draw very well, but the problems is he has difficulty in studying theory like LAN subjects, doing assignment and socialize with coursemate.

So, is there any college/university/training center that does not have any LAN subjects, no theory subject and mostly is practical based?
Skill-based courses are welcomed as well.
Preferably small group of person in study as he does not likes crowded environment.
Preferably local because my parent can't afford to send him oversea, but you can suggest as well and see how it works.

He's currently staying at home doing nothing and this worries me and my parents. I do hope that he can learns something and be able to support himself in future.

FYI, famous persons like Albert Einstein, Bill Gates and Isaac Newton are diagnosed as autistic.

I hope forumer or parents with autistic children can share their experience and knowledge.

Thanks

MisterCrono
post Jul 23 2010, 10:36 AM

Non-halal troll
635 posts

If im not mistaken, usually diploma / degree course must need LAN subject or minimum of 5 credit and at least BM get C.

some very skilled based course that provide certificate allow that

some of my friends in tourism specialized college didnt have anything about lan subjects and doesnt have any entry requirement.

Can't your brother problem be solved or reduced? it's hard to survive actually with this problem
dreamer101
post Jul 23 2010, 10:51 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,855 posts

QUOTE(Feliz @ Jul 22 2010, 11:04 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Feliz,

I do not think your brother is AUTISTIC. Has he been diagnosed by an expert?? Many family members of my family are AUTISTIC. They have NO SOCIAL INTERACTION with anyone. It is UNLIKELY any of them can finish SPM at all. So, your brother may have PROBLEM but it is NOT autism or Asperger. Autistic or Asperger people do not get angry at people. They do not INTERACT with people to begin with.

He may need to be diagnosed by an expert FIRST.

Dreamer
haya
post Jul 23 2010, 09:16 PM

Sarawakian first!
2,028 posts

As someone with a mild form of Asperger's, I have to echo member Dreamer above. Hot tempters are not a characteristic of Asperger's syndrome, through the stilted way of conversation by people with Asperger's is usually (mis)interpreted by most Malaysians as "angry" and "unhappy".

That said, I acknowledge and understand the difficulty of getting mental health support in Malaysia. Still, before one can form any kind of opinion, one has to determine if your brother actually has a mental condition, or its just because of his personality.
Belphegor
post Jul 24 2010, 01:16 AM

Dreamer
5,805 posts

No credits for BM doesn't really matter now IMO. Some course requires three credit from SPM, some need five, depending on what course your brother are into. As for LAN subjects, yes there BM besides Malaysian Studies and Moral. So your brother can actually take BM in college days.

As for the temper problem, I'd suggest you bring your brother to check with psychiatrist to properly diagnose if he has any psychological or mental problem. Do note that temper problem can be changed if proper technique is being use during the therapy. Asperger syndrome and hot-tempered behavior are different thing.

Since your brother likes to draw, have your family considered OA or MMU? But is best that you and your family go and check out the environment and talk to the counselor before enrolling your brother into that particular college.
TSFeliz
post Jul 24 2010, 12:01 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

My parent already brought him to consult a psychiatry, the expert has diagnosed him as Asperger children.

During his secondary school, he get bullied all the time. I think that is how he started to develop his hot temper behavior. Whenever someone tease him or disturb him, he went outrage and damaged a lot of school properties.

Therefore, my parents stop sending him to school for several months, but the school allow him to take SPM. That's how he can manage to finish his SPM. It's a tough route for him =(

After SPM, my parent thinking of sending him to the one academy or saito college for drawing. But looking at the course structure, it involves lots of assignment and few theories-based subject that might not be suitable of him.

Should he further his study? Or let him stay at home doing nothing?
Belphegor
post Jul 24 2010, 03:16 PM

Dreamer
5,805 posts

QUOTE(Feliz @ Jul 24 2010, 12:01 PM)
My parent already brought him to consult a psychiatry, the expert has diagnosed him as Asperger children.

During his secondary school, he get bullied all the time. I think that is how he started to develop his hot temper behavior. Whenever someone tease him or disturb him, he went outrage and damaged a lot of school properties.

Therefore, my parents stop sending him to school for several months, but the school allow him to take SPM. That's how he can manage to finish his SPM. It's a tough route for him =(

After SPM, my parent thinking of sending him to the one academy or saito college for drawing. But looking at the course structure, it involves lots of assignment and few theories-based subject that might not be suitable of him.

Should he further his study? Or let him stay at home doing nothing?
Stay home doing nothing just worsen his current condition. I'd suggest you bring him out with you, hang out with your friends or something. What's the age gap between you and your brother? Like I said, do scout around the college and see their coursework. If not suitable, drive to next uni and check lor.
haya
post Jul 25 2010, 02:49 PM

Sarawakian first!
2,028 posts

Psychiatrist or Psychologist? They are not the same, and one has to distinguish the diagnosis between the two. Secondly, Autism and aspergers, while they share common traits, are not mutually inclusive.

QUOTE(Belphegor @ Jul 24 2010, 03:16 PM)
Stay home doing nothing just worsen his current condition. I'd suggest you bring him out with you, hang out with your friends or something.

What's the age gap between you and your brother? Like I said, do scout around the college and see their coursework. If not suitable, drive to next uni and check lor.
You clearly have no idea how someone with Aspergers interacts. Forcing someone with Aspergers to "go out" and "make friends" and "see the world" is one of the worst things that well meaning but misguided people do.

Being bullied all the time is sadly very common, and at times the "angry" and "hot tempered behavior" is usually a form of defense only when provoked. That said, physical force that causes property damage is rather unusual for someone with aspergers, but not unheard of.

I will distill my feelings into 3 questions for member Feliz:

1) Has your brother indicated any strengths in any SPM subject (eg Physics, Chemistry, etc)
2) Is he left handed or right handed? (And I mean by birth, not which hand he eats with)
3) Can your family live with the fact that your brother may not have post-secondary qualifications?
TSFeliz
post Jul 26 2010, 08:01 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

Being bullied all the time is sadly very common, and at times the "angry" and "hot tempered behavior" is usually a form of defense only when provoked. That said, physical force that causes property damage is rather unusual for someone with aspergers, but not unheard of.

I will distill my feelings into 3 questions for member Feliz:

1) Has your brother indicated any strengths in any SPM subject (eg Physics, Chemistry, etc)
2) Is he left handed or right handed? (And I mean by birth, not which hand he eats with)
3) Can your family live with the fact that your brother may not have post-secondary qualifications?

1) I don't think he is good at any of SPM subject. He passed his Mathematics, Science and English, failed his BM and Account. He is absent for Sejarah, Econ and Moral Paper, because my parents know he will fail these subjects. He is good at drawing, with pencil, no colouring, but not really as good as those comic artist

2) He is right handed. Any difference with left handed?

3) My family has already accepted the fact that he will not further his study after secondary, but they hope that he can at least learn some skill work, so he'll be able to support his life in future. However, by judging his behavior, I don't think he is suitable at working environment which has a lot of stress and pressure. I'm afraid that he might not be able to take it, and will get angry. Any suggestion of what can he do in future?
maxsia
post Jul 28 2010, 12:49 AM

Getting Started
138 posts

This "asparagus(mild)" your brother seems to be having sounds like every kid in Malaysia.

I can relate to these conditions myself since, i suspected i have some mild forms myself, like attention deficit disorder and sometimes, being an introvert, hard to socialize with people, etc etc.

But these are not uncommon to a lot of people who experience these but did not consult a professional to get a condition so that their life can be blamed on it.

As you have already said, your brother is good in drawing, so he can actually be good in something.

People like these/us/whatever, just needs to work a little bit harder since they just lack a little bit of brain(spare you the details but it's like lacking natural talent, however in return, you get a different view of life, like not taking these skills/talents for granted)

Tell you what, make him a recommendation to keep a schedule (it's all about habit), and handle some anger management, further more give him some encouragement as he progresses.

Social skills can be attained, if he really decides to but not necessary (by books and stuff, here's a recommendation: "how to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie). These can be picked up as you learn to live with people and get comfortable around people but if he wants a job that requires constant or lots of human interaction then get that book.(autistic people learn stuff by the words)

1 thing that must be stressed, give him ample time since they need more work than usual folks.
if he seems impatient, tell him there's no hurry and he will eventually learn what he decides to learn but takes more work and longer than usual folks, but give a nudge from time to time if he procrastinates.

These people eventually turn up fine, autism is just another label made by society to explain and segregate people who "seemed" weird from society but is actually quite harmless.

and if you must know, there are graduates, skilled laborers, or maybe PHD holders(Dr. temperance brenen in bones maybe =p) who are autistic. I kinda learned this from "blink" by malcolm gladwell. pg 219, pick it up and get a little more understanding about this condition to help your brother, or better yet, let your brother read it to help himself.

This post has been edited by maxsia: Jul 28 2010, 12:57 AM
haya
post Jul 28 2010, 08:00 AM

Sarawakian first!
2,028 posts

QUOTE(Feliz @ Jul 26 2010, 08:01 PM)
1) I don't think he is good at any of SPM subject. He passed his Mathematics, Science and English, failed his BM and Account. He is absent for Sejarah, Econ and Moral Paper, because my parents know he will fail these subjects. He is good at drawing, with pencil, no colouring, but not really as good as those comic artist

That really displeases me, to say the least. Even if your parents are of the opinion that he will fail the said subjects, that is no reason, at SPM level particularly, to stop anyone taking a paper for the assumption of failure. Netherless, that is the past.

With no evidence of any science background (Biology, Physics, Chemistry) nor further details on his results in general Science, I will assume that the sciences are not his strength. The reason why I asked about his hand orientation is to have a feel of his aptitude. Left handers are usually more inclined to visual cues. (This is not to say that right handers have no artistic sense)

Feliz, does your brother display any kind of OCS? It need not be only using a particular pair of cutlery that only he can use, but is he neat? Pays attention to detail, for example dividing a study desk into specific sections for particular items?

For what member Feliz's brother can do, all I can suggest is think out of the box. It may be an unorthodox as a sketch artist in the tourist areas. I can't chart his future. Start small. Try getting him a job in, say, a cafe or something in the service industry. See how he takes it.

This is not to say there is no "stress and pressure" as a waiter, but even staying at home all day can be mentally difficult, even for people with Aspergers.

This post has been edited by haya: Jul 28 2010, 08:16 AM
haya
post Jul 28 2010, 08:14 AM

Sarawakian first!
2,028 posts

QUOTE(maxsia @ Jul 28 2010, 12:49 AM)
This "asparagus(mild)" your brother seems to be having sounds like every kid in Malaysia.

People who have no idea what they're talking about should just keep quiet.

QUOTE(maxsia @ Jul 28 2010, 12:49 AM)
These people eventually turn up fine, autism is just another label made by society to explain and segregate people who "seemed" weird from society but is actually quite harmless.
Oh? As if being called "weird" and "funny" and "introvert" are not labels given to people with autism? At least once someone is diagnosed with autism, there is an explanation, and one can take proactive measures.

Yes, people with autism have been described as "being an introvert, hard to socialize with people". But the reverse is not true. In any society there will be those who get along with everyone they meet, and those who have a small circle of people to interact with. This does not mean every other kid in Malaysia has "asparagus".

Still, I agree that "they need more work than usual folks". I will take the modus vivendi on the statement "Social skills can be attained", but having a routine is always sound advice, aspergers or not.

Finally, may I try once again to distinguish between Autism and Aspergers. They share similar traits, but are not mutually exclusive.
Ikruga
post Aug 2 2010, 11:01 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

I think there is a MALAYSIAN AUTISME & ASPERGER group at Facebook. Try asking them (if the group is still around). Good Luck.

PAChamp
post Apr 29 2024, 01:18 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

At the risk of reviving a long dormant thread, how has TS brother fared since then? Is he working now? Finished studying?

Since more than 10 years have passed, I believe the awareness of autistic needs of students have grown and there is more support nowadays. My child is currently being diagnosed by a psychologist at a private hospital (suspected level 1 ASD) and I would like to enquire whether there are any colleges/ universities which offer suitable courses for autistic students. My child started a diploma course in illustration but dropped out due to mental stress of heavy workload. Many thanks in advance.
poohpooh
post May 15 2024, 04:23 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(PAChamp @ Apr 29 2024, 01:18 PM)
At the risk of reviving a long dormant thread, how has TS brother fared since then? Is he working now? Finished studying?

Since more than 10 years have passed, I believe the awareness of autistic needs of students have grown and there is more support nowadays. My child is currently being diagnosed by a psychologist at a private hospital (suspected level 1 ASD) and I would like to enquire whether there are any colleges/ universities which offer suitable courses for autistic students. My child started a diploma course in illustration but dropped out due to mental stress of heavy workload. Many thanks in advance.
Maybe you can pm me to discuss further. My child is diagnose with Asperger sydrome and currently studying diploma in multimedia design in private college.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:09 PM