Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Atorvastatin New from Doctor for high Cholesterol, Cholesterol

Isendir1
post Jul 3 2010, 09:34 PM, updated 5 years ago

Group: Junior Member

I have been diagnosed with high LDL cholesterol.

Then the doctor has prescribed me which an Atorvastatin drug

Drug Brand : Rotaqor
Dosage : 10mg / day

I have been using it for a month without problem but i have not done blood test to see my result yet.
So i will like to seek advice on which is the best drug for high cholesterol tto take and are they effective with minimal side effect?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kain_Sicilian
post Jul 3 2010, 10:24 PM

Not So Friendly
Group: Senior Member

Sometimes it depends on individuals. I've seen many patients on these drugs without experiencing side-effects, but my Dad has got this friend whom will lapse into acute liver failure (don't be shocked by this, it doesn't mean that the liver is broken, I just don't know how to explain this in a better layman way) everytime he's on a statin.

As long as your doc check your liver functions tests regularly and be sure to let your doctor know ASAP if you experience any muscle aches/pain once you start on this drug then generally you'll be fine.
+Quote Post
chamelion
post Jul 3 2010, 10:27 PM

Back to Bricking

there is no best drug for cholesterol.. just take it.

but there is better lifestyle ^^
+Quote Post
zedstat
post Jul 4 2010, 06:14 AM

is in the Manic Phase

the statin.. its the most efficient in controlling ur cholesterol. and also.. before u ask about everything. take care of ur diet
+Quote Post
Kain_Sicilian
post Jul 5 2010, 10:33 PM

Not So Friendly

QUOTE(zedstat @ Jul 4 2010, 06:14 AM)
the statin.. its the most efficient in controlling ur cholesterol. and also.. before u ask about everything. take care of ur diet
Statins are effective in controlling LDL, but for individuals with high TGs only, fibrates are preferred,,,
+Quote Post
Isendir1
post Jul 16 2010, 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Kain_Sicilian @ Jul 5 2010, 10:33 PM)
Statins are effective in controlling LDL, but for individuals with high TGs only, fibrates are preferred,,,
Fortunately i have normal TG.

After a quick survey, i know that the best drug to control LDL is still STATIN.
Later i also found that there are olenty of statin in the markets.

I have come upon international statins such as
- Lipitor
- Crestor

International Generics
- Rotaqor
- Winthrop

Local
- Atacor
- Ranbaxy

I am looking for the most reputable company with affordable pricing. Which of these you are using? and do you have comments?
+Quote Post
pangolin88
post Jul 16 2010, 03:06 PM

Getting Started

Lipitor is the original brand of atorvastatin.
Now that the patent right is over a lot of generics are in the market.
Mostly they are cheaper and work equally well.

Crestor is rosuvastatin and is a more potent drug with more side effects.
Unless your cholesterol is sky high stick to atorvastatin or even the cheaper and milder drug, simvastatin.

QUOTE(Isendir1 @ Jul 16 2010, 02:29 PM)
Fortunately i have normal TG.

After a quick survey, i know that the best drug to control LDL is still STATIN.
Later i also found that there are olenty of statin in the markets.

I have come upon international statins such as
- Lipitor
- Crestor

International Generics
- Rotaqor
- Winthrop

Local
- Atacor
- Ranbaxy

I am looking for the most reputable company with affordable pricing. Which of these you are using? and do you have comments?
+Quote Post
Kain_Sicilian
post Jul 16 2010, 05:31 PM

Not So Friendly

Storvas from ranbaxy is atorvastatin in its amorphous form. While Lipitor is atovastatin in its crystalline form. BE (Bio-equivalence) studies have been done to show that Stovas provide the same amount of atorvastin in blood complared to lipitor, however I have patients claiming that Lipitor performs better, but never the other way around. Some didn't notice any difference. But one thing is for sure, Storvas is a lot cheaper than Lipitor.
+Quote Post
DrBarbarian
post Jul 17 2010, 02:24 PM

Darren's Daddy

you do know you may have to take statin for life right?
+Quote Post
SueM11
post Jul 17 2010, 05:11 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Isendir1 @ Jul 3 2010, 09:34 PM)
I have been diagnosed with high LDL cholesterol.

Then the doctor has prescribed me which an Atorvastatin drug

Drug Brand : Rotaqor
Dosage : 10mg / day

I have been using it for a month without problem but i have not done blood test to see my result yet.
So i will like to seek advice on which is the best drug for high cholesterol tto take and are they effective with minimal side effect?
Please take note that statin drugs have some side effects which include muscle weakness and joint pain. While statin blocks the production of cholesterol, it also blocks the natural production of Coenzme Q10 (CoQ10). CoQ10 is essential for the production of energy within the cell. Those who are on statin drugs should take a higher dose of CoQ10 to better protect their health and better protect from developing muscle weakness and pain due to their statin drugs.

Besides taking statin you may want to try lowering your cholesterol by taking adequate antioxidants along with their supporting nutrients. Choose a high quality supplement which provide all the nutrients in sufficient amounts thus enabling them to work in synergy and so give the maximum benefit.

How to choose a quality nutritional supplement
+Quote Post
Isendir1
post Jul 17 2010, 07:09 PM

QUOTE(DrBarbarian @ Jul 17 2010, 02:24 PM)
you do know you may have to take statin for life right?
Yes, i clearly know that. Is like buying another kidney, which will follow you for life. Just Kidding!
That is why i need to know the cost of the medication and whether the company producing this drug is reputable or a worrying kind.

QUOTE(Kain_Sicilian @ Jul 16 2010, 05:31 PM)
Storvas from ranbaxy is atorvastatin in its amorphous form. While Lipitor is atovastatin in its crystalline form. BE (Bio-equivalence) studies have been done to show that Stovas provide the same amount of atorvastin in blood complared to lipitor, however I have patients claiming that Lipitor performs better, but never the other way around. Some didn't notice any difference. But one thing is for sure, Storvas is a lot cheaper than Lipitor.
Looking at most of the useful information i get from you and Kain_Sicilian (Chess lover?). I again did some survey and found that BE study is done on generic drug to tell the similarity of drug efficacy against the originator. I am sure this is important.

Peeping around the web (So called controlled drugs by the government and not able to get it elsewhere but being prescribe by doctor. But i still see many websites offering to deliver drugs by mail, Malaysia BOLEH!) to check the market price, i have also discovered that the prices of the drugs:

Standard Pricing around Selangor:

Originators:

Lipitor 10mg / box : RM 150.00 (Atorvastatin) - The so called originator which works better. (My colleague suffer back pain and when switch to a generic, she miraculously got better. Her blood test tells her that he blood LDL was in control too. This is strange)
Crestor 10mg / box : RM 180.00 - Rm 200.00 (Rosuvastatin) - Wow expensive. Claim better than others but my doctor advised me not to take this unless cholesterol very high. Consider new in market.
Lescol XL 10mg / box : RM ?.?? (Fluvastatin) - 10mg of Atorvastatin works exactly the same vs 40mg of Fluvastatin. Heard was expensive too from the nurse. Did not bother to check further. Please feed me with information if you have so i can edit here.
Zocor 10mg / box : RM ?.?? (Simvastatin) - 10mg Simvastatin was equivalent to 20mg of Atorvastatin too. Please feed me with price info if you have any.

Generics (BE study present):

Atorvastatin:

Rotaqor 10mg / box : RM 40-50 - By Novartis which is branded under Sandoz. Very reputable company especially Sandoz. Price was ok if long term compared to originator.
Winthrop Atorvastatin 10mg / box : RM 30+ - By Sanofi Adventis which is branded under Winthrop. Info on Winthrop was unknown. Seems to be a company but i get from internet showed John Winthrop or University of Winthrop. Must be a very new division.
Atacor 10mg / box : RM 50 + (not sure) - Actavis is Iceland company. No company here at Malaysia. No further info
Storvas 10mg / box : RM 50 + (Not Sure) - Ranbaxy is Indian Company. A quick search at internet showed that Ranbaxy has huge issue with FDA at USA. http://www.google.com.my/#hl=en&safe=off&q...ee450b1adbfe86c . Made in Malaysia too. This is the drug that you will be getting if you go to Government Hospital. They always have low budget to buy drugs. Efficacy seems as same as originator but quality is not sure.

A few other statins which works less effective than Atorvastatin and has lesser Studies such as Lipacor (Simvastatin) etc. Price was cheaper but mostly locally made. Don't have enough confident in Made In Malaysia Product especially Medicine. Please feed me with info if can. The CURVES study, which compared the efficacy of different doses of atorvastatin, simvastatin, pravastatin, lovastatin, and fluvastatin for reducing LDL and total cholesterol in patients with hypercholesterolemia, found that atorvastatin was more effective without increasing adverse events.[24]

A few other statins which has issue with FDA or was recalled was Cerivastatin due to Rhadbomyolysis (Muscle breakdown). Lovastatin which is also an old statin had reported a few cases with muscle and liver (Hepatic Diseases) too (Info from my company manager, reliability unknown).

Added on July 17, 2010, 10:21 pm
QUOTE(SueM11 @ Jul 17 2010, 05:11 PM)
Please take note that statin drugs have some side effects which include muscle weakness and joint pain. While statin blocks the production of cholesterol, it also blocks the natural production of Coenzme Q10 (CoQ10). CoQ10 is essential for the production of energy within the cell. Those who are on statin drugs should take a higher dose of CoQ10 to better protect their health and better protect from developing muscle weakness and pain due to their statin drugs.

Besides taking statin you may want to try lowering your cholesterol by taking adequate antioxidants along with their supporting nutrients. Choose a high quality supplement which provide all the nutrients in sufficient amounts thus enabling them to work in synergy and so give the maximum benefit.

How to choose a quality nutritional supplement
Really wonderful for you to share this interesting guidelines. I always consume Vitamins without knowing much about them. Thanks alot!

This post has been edited by Isendir1: Jul 17 2010, 10:21 PM
+Quote Post
Zeliard
post Jul 18 2010, 02:37 AM

Getting Started

Lovastatin < Simvastatin < Atorvastatin <Rosuvastatin

The cheapest simplest drug is lovastatin, but the potency is the least. Rosuvastatin is most expensive available, proven beyond doubt to cause minimal liver damage or muscle ache.

Muscle ache is the commonest adverse effect of a statin. It IS NOT muscle weakness or joint ache.
Statin is known to damage the liver in some individuals not tolerating it. Do a 6monthly or anual liver function test, specifically for ALT and AST.

Having said that, you shouldn't have taken up statin if you do not have other cardiovascular risks. Therapeutic lifestyle modifiying should do the trick. Eat less oily and fatty stuff, do more exercise.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Kain_Sicilian
post Jul 19 2010, 10:27 AM

Not So Friendly

QUOTE(Isendir1 @ Jul 17 2010, 07:09 PM)
Looking at most of the useful information i get from you and Kain_Sicilian (Chess lover?). I again did some survey and found that BE study is done on generic drug to tell the similarity of drug efficacy against the originator. I am sure this is important.
Haha, you caught me. Sicilian defense is my fav. opening smile.gif Though I seldom play it now...

QUOTE(Isendir1 @ Jul 17 2010, 07:09 PM)
Peeping around the web (So called controlled drugs by the government and not able to get it elsewhere but being prescribe by doctor. But i still see many websites offering to deliver drugs by mail, Malaysia BOLEH!) to check the market price, i have also discovered that the prices of the drugs:

Really wonderful for you to share this interesting guidelines. I always consume Vitamins without knowing much about them. Thanks alot!
You can always ask for a prescription when you see a doctor and purchase then meds from a pharmacy. You have the right. Also, ask your pharmacist for more advise on the medications.
+Quote Post
voon25
post Jul 19 2010, 10:49 PM

Getting Started

don't only take medication, exercise is another crucial factor for cholesterol lowering effect. You may reduce arterial clogs with statin, but you still need arterial contraction and a good cardiac to propel your circulation.
+Quote Post
Isendir1
post Jul 19 2010, 11:09 PM

QUOTE(voon25 @ Jul 19 2010, 10:49 PM)
don't only take medication, exercise is another crucial factor for cholesterol lowering effect. You may reduce arterial clogs with statin, but you still need arterial contraction and a good cardiac to propel your circulation.
Cholesterol in our body is produced by our liver in about 75% and the intake is 25% in average. Therapeutic Lifestyle changes and exercise can reduce conc of total cholesterol in body but not to familial type of hypercholesterolemia. I do have other risk such as family history. I guess there are no running away from drugs but i agree with you. Plaque is difficult to embed when your blood is regularly flowing.
+Quote Post
DrBarbarian
post Jul 20 2010, 10:12 AM

Darren's Daddy

how may ppl do you guys know that were able to lower their cholesterol level by just lifestyle change and exercise?
+Quote Post
Kain_Sicilian
post Jul 20 2010, 10:19 AM

Not So Friendly

QUOTE(DrBarbarian @ Jul 20 2010, 10:12 AM)
how may ppl do you guys know that were able to lower their cholesterol level by just lifestyle change and exercise?
Very few. But it's always worth a try to convince patients...
+Quote Post
Isendir1
post Jul 20 2010, 06:28 PM

QUOTE(Kain_Sicilian @ Jul 20 2010, 10:19 AM)
Very few. But it's always worth a try to convince patients...
Actually, if you have been diagnosed with high cholesterol and several other Cardiovascular Risk such as genetics, family history, drink, smoking, diabetic, i believe statin is the only way which will work to reduce the chance of pain and death.

There are a few study which show that exercise and healthy eating does not help at all without medications. With medications, that's another story and a must, i believe. hmm.gif
+Quote Post
SueM11
post Jul 20 2010, 09:16 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Isendir1 @ Jul 20 2010, 06:28 PM)
Actually, if you have been diagnosed with high cholesterol and several other Cardiovascular Risk such as genetics, family history, drink, smoking, diabetic, i believe statin is the only way which will work to reduce the chance of pain and death.

There are a few study which show that exercise and healthy eating does not help at all without medications. With medications, that's another story and a must, i believe.  hmm.gif
It is not so much that the higher the LDL ( bad) cholesterol the higher the risk of getting heart disease. Rather it is the oxidation of the LDL cholesterol which turns it bad. Native LDL cholesterol is produced by the body and is good as it is essential for building good cell membrane, other cell parts and different hormones needed by the body. If we don't get enough from our diet , our bodies will produce this kind of cholesterol.

The danger is from the oxidation of the LDL cholesterol caused by free radicals which can come from stress, environmental pollution, fatty foods, cigarette smoke,etc. Studies have shown that the higher the level of antioxidants within the LDL cholesterol and the surrounding cells the more resistant the LDL cholesterol is to oxidation.

The antioxidants you take must be complete and balanced for the cell to perform at its optimal level. It is not just one antioxidant but a whole range of them.

Pharmaceutical companies keep on lowering the levels of LDL cholesterol that we must maintain so as not to be in the risk category.

There are some interesting books which talk more on this.

"What Your Doctor Doesn't Know About Nutritional Medicine May Be Killing You" by Dr Ray Strand

"Bionutrition" Dr Ray Strand.

They are available at MPH and other book stores.

+Quote Post
V12Kompressor
post Jul 20 2010, 11:03 PM

No carrots here

QUOTE(Isendir1 @ Jul 20 2010, 06:28 PM)

There are a few study which show that exercise and healthy eating does not help at all without medications. With medications, that's another story and a must, i believe.  hmm.gif
depends on the healthy eating.

The only way to counter bad cholesterol without taking drugs (which usually have lots of side effects) is eating RIGHT and using the right product.

SueM11's point is actually the very basis of why high cholesterol occurs. Thus to counter the oxidation of LDL, the RIGHT way is to eat or consume food (liquid,solid or supplement) which is pure in ANTI-Oxidant.

Most drugs offers fast recovery but with a huge price to pay (side effects). Natural healing on the contrary is slow but it has no long term side effect at all. In the long run, a person will benefit more from natural healing.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Isendir1
post Jul 21 2010, 08:14 PM

QUOTE(SueM11 @ Jul 20 2010, 09:16 PM)
It is not so much that the higher the LDL ( bad) cholesterol the higher the risk of getting heart disease. Rather it is the oxidation of the LDL cholesterol which turns it bad. Native LDL cholesterol is produced by the body and is good as it is essential for building good cell membrane, other cell parts and different hormones needed by the body. If we don't get enough from our diet , our bodies will produce this kind of cholesterol.

The danger is from the oxidation of the LDL cholesterol caused by free radicals which can come from stress, environmental pollution, fatty foods, cigarette smoke,etc. Studies have shown that the higher the level of antioxidants within the LDL cholesterol and the surrounding cells the more resistant the LDL cholesterol is to oxidation.

The antioxidants you take must be complete and balanced for the cell to perform at its optimal level. It is not just one antioxidant but a whole range of them.

Pharmaceutical companies keep on lowering the levels of LDL cholesterol that we must maintain so as not to be in the risk category.

There are some interesting books which talk more on this.

"What Your Doctor Doesn't Know About Nutritional Medicine May Be Killing You" by Dr Ray Strand

"Bionutrition" Dr Ray Strand.

They are available at MPH and other book stores.
Hi SueM11, i am not doubting you or Dr Ray, but if you have read the book, can you quote us a Study Topic / Publication which refer to " Studies have shown that the higher the level of antioxidants within the LDL cholesterol and the surrounding cells the more resistant the LDL cholesterol is to oxidation. " or clearing free radical or antioxidant supplement that can reduce risk of cardiovascular event? I am interested in the studies so that we can know more in details.

Thanks and great info btw nod.gif
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1025sec    3.86    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 5th July 2015 - 05:28 PM