RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTA] ASTRO BYOND PVR, Technical question

malach_hamaves83
post Jun 20 2010, 10:19 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi…
I’m thinking to upgrade my old astro to astro pvr. But I have few questions, hope somebody can answer it for me.

1)Besides the WD HDD which recommended by astro can I use other brand such as Seagate? Anyone has try to change it with other HDD?
2)What is the file format when u have recorded a tv program from astro? Anyone has try to play it with a computer? If astro give their own file, anyone has try to convert it to other normal movie format such as mp4, avi or mkv?
3)The lan port at the back of the PVR Box. Can it make file sharing/streaming?. it stated for iptv so does it mean that I can watch IPTV from unifi using this PVR Box?

Please answer my question so I can get real information. Yes my question a bit technical, but it will help other Malaysian user to decide in the future. I believe we are the one who pay to record, so it’s up to us to play/copy somewhere else.

Thanks

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
neb
post Jun 20 2010, 04:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

byond box is hard-coded by astro to recognise western digital My Passport AV 320 GB Model: WDBABS3200ABK only

ethernet port is not activated yet, may be for future astro's iptv

recorded video files are HDCP protected, can only playback through same byond box that did the recording, some rumours floating around that files are playable on certain media player

all these info are available in astro FAQ

don't get confuse with 2 astro byond HD boxes:
"astro byond" has single tuner, need external usb drive WD My Passport AV 320 GB to record

"astro byond PVR" has 2 tuners, required dual output LNB to work, has built-in 500GB harddisk

This post has been edited by neb: Jun 20 2010, 05:36 PM
+Quote Post
malach_hamaves83
post Jun 20 2010, 06:43 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(neb @ Jun 20 2010, 04:59 PM)
byond box is hard-coded by astro to recognise western digital My Passport AV 320 GB Model: WDBABS3200ABK only

ethernet port is not activated yet, may be for future astro's iptv

recorded video files are HDCP protected, can only playback through same byond box that did the recording, some rumours floating around that files are playable on certain media player

all these info are available in astro FAQ

don't get confuse with 2 astro byond HD boxes:
"astro byond" has single tuner, need external usb drive WD My Passport AV 320 GB to record

"astro byond PVR" has 2 tuners, required dual output LNB to work, has built-in 500GB harddisk
ohh ok....now i get some picture! thanks thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
minimize
post Jun 20 2010, 09:19 PM

Regular

B.yond PVR recorded using *.STR (extension) format and its has a copy protection.
That means you cannot simply copy that file to ur PC.
+Quote Post
desmondyap93
post Jun 20 2010, 09:25 PM

Casual

Can I just subscribe Astro Byond PVR without subscribe their HD services (which mean i dont want to pay another RM20 for HD Channels)...
+Quote Post
malach_hamaves83
post Jun 20 2010, 10:50 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(minimize @ Jun 20 2010, 09:19 PM)
B.yond PVR recorded using *.STR (extension) format and its has a copy protection.
how about transfer to another HDD--->HDD ?? let say... my hdd tansfer to my friend who also has astro byond pvr
+Quote Post
AjkR06
post Jun 20 2010, 11:05 PM

that's me

QUOTE(malach_hamaves83 @ Jun 20 2010, 10:50 PM)
how about transfer to another HDD--->HDD ?? let say... my hdd tansfer to my friend who also has astro byond pvr
again, no! you can't do that....
notworthy.gif
You only can play all of your recorded content via your own B.Yond..

+Quote Post
minimize
post Jun 20 2010, 11:39 PM

Regular

QUOTE(AjkR06 @ Jun 20 2010, 11:05 PM)
again, no! you can't do that....
notworthy.gif
You only can play all of your recorded content via your own B.Yond..
Yeahh.. every recording file will be pair with your smart card no.
So let say u can transfer that file to byond box B, firmware B will try to match that particular file with smart card no on box B. If not match, it will be failed to play.
+Quote Post
smileguy
post Jun 21 2010, 11:58 AM

Regular

QUOTE(minimize @ Jun 20 2010, 11:39 PM)
Yeahh.. every recording file will be pair with your smart card no.
So let say u can transfer that file to byond box B, firmware B will try to match that particular file with smart card no on box B. If not match, it will be failed to play.
Let me add flex.gif not only matched with your smartcard but also the packages once you record from say sports pack the moment you unsubsribe sports pack the recording cannot be played ! nod.gif Sounds complicated but very smartly organised ! brows.gif
+Quote Post
cactusdd
post Jun 24 2010, 03:47 PM

i'm astroMax user and planing to upgrade to byond pvr, but b4 i do that, just need to find out is there any common problem byond pvr's users facing? because astroMax hang quite offen.

And do they need a different coxial cable to connect from the Dish to the device? or remain the existing one?

This post has been edited by cactusdd: Jun 24 2010, 04:02 PM
+Quote Post
bijan2000
post Jul 3 2010, 03:10 PM

I'm using it 2 weeks already. So far soo good..
+Quote Post
dannychen
post Jul 3 2010, 04:11 PM

Casual

QUOTE(cactusdd @ Jun 24 2010, 03:47 PM)
i'm astroMax user and planing to upgrade to byond pvr, but b4 i do that, just need to find out is there any common problem byond pvr's users facing? because astroMax hang quite offen.

And do they need a different coxial cable to connect from the Dish to the device? or remain the existing one?
Astro B.Yond PVR much more superb as compared to Max. You will love it once you have swapped it.

Astro will provide 2 x 20m new coaxial cable for you to replace with the existing cable.
+Quote Post
SiriuslyCold
post Jul 3 2010, 04:34 PM

Regular

QUOTE(desmondyap93 @ Jun 20 2010, 09:25 PM)
Can I just subscribe Astro Byond PVR without subscribe their HD services (which mean i dont want to pay another RM20 for HD Channels)...
yes, you can.

+Quote Post
jalsrix
post Jul 3 2010, 10:09 PM

Regular

no problems with pvr i am using for one week. rclxms.gif

go to the byond v5 thread.
+Quote Post
myckchin
post Jul 16 2010, 02:08 AM

Group: New Member

and the answer was "Astro will provide 2 x 20m new coaxial cable for you to replace with the existing cable."

Is this mean We must use the new coaxial cable? Can We use the existing one? because if must use the new one, that will be trouble because need to drill a new hole in my house and see the wire.....

+Quote Post
neb
post Jul 16 2010, 05:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!

pvr needed 2 cables, or you could use a single cable together with stacker-destacker costing RM300
+Quote Post
k-nen
post Jul 23 2010, 06:09 PM

I regret swapping my AstroMax to Byond PVR. There are 2 very important features of AstroMax, no longer available on Byond PVR:
A) Byond PVR doesn't allow setting up of recurring recording. e.g. recording a specific channel, every Monday, from time A to time B.
B) 1 press on the fast forward button on the remote no longer skipping a time block of 60 seconds, but only let you toggle through forwarding speed of 4x, 16x, etc.

+Quote Post
SiriuslyCold
post Jul 23 2010, 09:01 PM

Regular

QUOTE(k-nen @ Jul 23 2010, 06:09 PM)
I regret swapping my AstroMax to Byond PVR.  There are 2 very important features of AstroMax, no longer available on Byond PVR:
A) Byond PVR doesn't allow setting up of recurring recording. e.g. recording a specific channel, every Monday, from time A to time B.
B) 1 press on the fast forward button on the remote no longer skipping a time block of 60 seconds, but only let you toggle through forwarding speed of 4x, 16x, etc.
have you made a formal report to Astro about this grievance or are you just pissing in the wind here?

they can probably take note if enough people complain about something, but they cannot hope to monitor forum threads

Anyhow, I believe TallJustin mentioned that they are working on item A) and you should visit TallJustin's blog and submit a change request for B)

+Quote Post
minimize
post Jul 23 2010, 09:08 PM

Regular

I regret swapping my AstroMax to Byond PVR.  There are 2 very important features of AstroMax, no longer available on Byond PVR:
I think you miss one more thing. No monthly fee for MAX but RM10 for Byond PVR laugh.gif
+Quote Post
silbii
post Jul 25 2010, 01:06 PM

Enthusiast

can we record from astro HD channels and get the same quality of HD with surround sound and all? how big the space used for one full HD film? anyone tried this ?

and can we resort to record to lower resolution settings to record in order to save space?

thx
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
minimize
post Jul 25 2010, 01:21 PM

Regular

QUOTE(silbii @ Jul 25 2010, 01:06 PM)
1- can we record from astro HD channels and get the same quality of HD with surround sound and all? how big the space used for one full HD film? anyone tried this ?

2- and can we resort to record to lower resolution settings to record in order to save space?

thx
1- Yes (Byond PVR can record up to 290 hours of SD / 100 hours of HD)
2- No

This post has been edited by minimize: Jul 25 2010, 01:22 PM
+Quote Post
epul
post Jul 26 2010, 03:06 PM

Casual

can i hijack this thread
so no need to create new one
also regarding astro pvr
+Quote Post
zack2381
post Aug 11 2010, 09:31 AM

Enthusiast

as previously max user, and now i am currently using the new pvr, my comments is the PVR much more superb..no longer hang..much2 better in term of quality..i'm impress with byond pvr interface..overall, better change from max to PVR..sommore, its free!

of course, there are cons (compared to astro max)

- as one of forumer mention, there is no feature to allow recurring recording- thats mean, u have to do it manually once a week..oh gosh, i miss this feature! this is very important to me..

- i dont like the remote control as it is like toy - not user friendly as i always accidently press the "back" button when i want to scroll down - guess i just need to practice more on this..

- it takes longer time to loading if you switch off the PVR - since no hang, no need to reset by switching off my PVR, so i'm ok with it..

overall satisfied with the producT!

+Quote Post
88sales88
post Sep 30 2010, 09:29 AM

Getting Started

Astro just made an offer to me to swap out my Astromax for a Byond PVR for free + free 2 years recording service and after which Rm10 a month.

It is not really an offer since they said if I don't take it up, I will not be able to use my Astromax AT ALL as they are upgrading their softwares and Astromax is not compatible.

I am happy with the swap except that after 2 years I will need to pay for recording capability which I do not have to pay today with my Astromax.

If Astro just ask me to pay upfront say a 200-300 Upgrade free of the device, I would be more than happy. Now I have to go look for my Astromax T&C to see what is says there if there are any mention of recording fee. If there is none, I think we got a case that Astro is not being fair here.
+Quote Post
KatanaS
post Oct 5 2010, 02:09 PM

Anyone encounter recordings that fail with Astro Beyond PVR. After turning it on for a few weeks, there will be concsecutive failure in recording. Found that if you turn off and wait 30 seconds and turn back on again, the problem goes away but have to do this maybe once every month.

Is there a way to copy out the shows to another temporary storage or copy it back again as I like to keep the children shows for my daughter and running out of space on the 500MB HDD.
+Quote Post
C-Fu
post Oct 5 2010, 06:21 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(minimize @ Jun 20 2010, 09:19 PM)
this *.STR file format, does anybody have any documents of it?

because the original playstation games uses .STR (with copy protection) whenever it plays a movie in the game. http://code.google.com/p/jpsxdec/ can encode .str files into avi or anything else. http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil/psxmc.html can play str files. don't think it's the same, but i suppose it's worth a shot, no? biggrin.gif

anyways this might work. get a HDMI to DVI connector/converter, or HDMI to component cable, and get a tv capture card on your pc to capture the signal. a hassle, but it should work. i have the cables, but no Byond (mainly because I know Astro would do something like this, it's just a matter of time before they'll get creative and makes it even more difficult for you to watch your recorded movies THAT YOU PAID blink.gif )

This post has been edited by C-Fu: Oct 5 2010, 06:23 PM
+Quote Post
natzakaria
post Oct 28 2010, 09:12 AM

Regular

QUOTE(neb @ Jul 16 2010, 05:16 PM)
pvr needed 2 cables, or you could use a single cable together with stacker-destacker costing RM300
Where do you get this stacker/destacker from?
+Quote Post
neb
post Oct 28 2010, 01:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(natzakaria @ Oct 28 2010, 09:12 AM)
Where do you get this stacker/destacker from?
ask astro, they mentioned the availability of this device in their FAQ when they launch byond
+Quote Post
prominen
post Nov 3 2010, 11:11 PM

Getting Started

my beyond PVR is really suck comparing to max...

at planner recorded tab show that the show record is 1 hour and 40 minutes, but it can only play until 1 hour 20 minutes....haiz...my mother keep2 complaining about the SO call astro beyond pvr no good at all...now I miss back Max feature...

is there any complained u guys made to astro about this...or perhaps upgrade later in future...?
+Quote Post
morpheuzneo
post Nov 15 2010, 03:01 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(C-Fu @ Oct 5 2010, 06:21 PM)
this *.STR file format, does anybody have any documents of it?

because the original playstation games uses .STR (with copy protection) whenever it plays a movie in the game. http://code.google.com/p/jpsxdec/ can encode .str files into avi or anything else. http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil/psxmc.html can play str files. don't think it's the same, but i suppose it's worth a shot, no? biggrin.gif
anyways this might work. get a HDMI to DVI connector/converter, or HDMI to component cable, and get a tv capture card on your pc to capture the signal. a hassle, but it should work. i have the cables, but no Byond (mainly because I know Astro would do something like this, it's just a matter of time before they'll get creative and makes it even more difficult for you to watch your recorded movies THAT YOU PAID  blink.gif )
Hi,

anybody have tried this and successfuly captured HD signal from astro using the capture card?

If yes - I would like to know your setup.., what capture card you use..

+Quote Post
neb
post Nov 15 2010, 03:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I heard the secret is using HDfury2, which convert HDMI HD signal to HD analog component video signal

This post has been edited by neb: Nov 15 2010, 03:14 PM
+Quote Post
radioactive
post Nov 18 2010, 11:38 PM

Regular

QUOTE(morpheuzneo @ Nov 15 2010, 03:01 PM)
Hi,

anybody have tried this and successfuly captured HD signal from astro using the capture card?

If yes - I would like to know your setup.., what capture card you use..
I did it using capturing SD videos. I spliced the composite cable and have one extended to my pc.
Its a hassle. I record it on the WD HDD. then I when I'm free, I'll set it to play and capture everything on my pc.

that way, it becomes portable. I can put it on my laptop and watch it whenever/wherever I choose
+Quote Post
TKH5
post Nov 22 2010, 12:11 AM

does anyone try astro web b.yond player? i'm facing some problems with it ==
+Quote Post
manx
post Jan 5 2011, 11:24 AM

Enthusiast

helo sifus...
i have some questions on byond PVR
1. I am already byond subscriber, want to upgrade to byong pvr. Do i still need to pay RM300 installation fee?

2. since the pvr box come with 2 tuner, we can record 2 prog simultaneously. Can watch recorded prog and astro channel at the same time too?

3. since the pvr comes with 500gb disk, can i use external wdlive for extension? does the rm10 fee cover the rm5 feature?

Thanks. Hope for quick response soon. Thanks.
+Quote Post
stan001
post Feb 1 2011, 03:03 PM

On my way

Just got my Astro Max replacement for Astro Byong PVR ...

First impression, 300 hours, very fast response, hv output options for RCA, Component and HDMI ( HDMI was disabled for non-HD subscribers )

The remote can be program to on/off my LG tv and also change input source.. cannot control volume level

Can record 2 channels at the same time IF you are not watching another channel ( good for time when you are not watching the tv )...

Can record linked series automatically, good for chinese series , BAD for AXN weekly series like Amazing Race.

BAD stuff....

- NO automatic weekly recording schedule
- NO way to DELETE recording after watching
- very CONFUSING interface, multiple steps to watch a recoding
- Whoever designed the user interface definitely NOT a AstroMax user or ever used a PVR before!!!!

+Quote Post
manx
post Feb 19 2011, 12:30 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(stan001 @ Feb 1 2011, 03:03 PM)

First impression, 300 hours, very fast response, hv output options for RCA, Component and HDMI ( HDMI was disabled for non-HD subscribers )

The remote can be program to on/off my LG tv and also change input source.. cannot control volume level

Can record 2 channels at the same time IF you are not watching another channel ( good for time when you are not watching the tv )...

Can record linked series automatically, good for chinese series , BAD for AXN weekly series like Amazing Race.

BAD stuff....

- Whoever designed the user interface definitely NOT a AstroMax user or ever used a PVR before!!!!
i think you can delete your recording from your planner screen using red button

things to improve:-
time setting - we can set time for daily/weekly/monthly and define the channel to record (not from program like what we have now)
series link need to have for American idol and others that being aired weekly not just drama series

+Quote Post
citiranger
post Feb 19 2011, 04:00 PM

ASTRO just SUSPENDED MY VIEWING in order TO FORCE ME to CHANGE the MAX to PVR. I loved the MAX, got my son's favourite show, I only requested they transfer it, which they cannot or I WANT BACK MY MAX since I PAID FOR IT. THEN They say I HAVE TO PAY THE INSTALLATION BLAH BLAH BLAH....... WHATEVER.

THEY ARE NOT RESORTING to STRONG ARM TACTIC making people switch to PVR and FORCING to pay the extra RM 10 after the so called 24 months free ...

SIGH.... actually the MAX still can WORK, but they are unable to 'BLEED' subscribers for the recording features, not they found the WAY to do it.

BLADEEE HELL ASTRO, if not b'cos of wife and kids, I'll CANCELL IT, wont get a SEN from me, I'll watch EPL at MAMAK over a RM 1.20 teh tarik.

QUOTE(stan001 @ Feb 1 2011, 03:03 PM)

BAD stuff....

[SIZE=7][COLOR=red]
+Quote Post
rolth
post Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM

I just change my astro Max to Beyond Pvr, after installation the installer told me that i have to wait 2 hours for the decoder to receive signal, waited then nothing happen only the msg "insert correct sim card appear". called installer but he said have to refer to astro technician already, called few times, send signal few times, still nothing happen, then
the next morning, the decoder become blank, only - - - - shown on the Lcd screen, called astro again, setup an appointment, said wl be in 48 hours, till now already a week no call at all, called again then refer to a technician, promise to call in 3 days time, aiyoooo, miss my astro programme already, wish not so complicated, wonder if anyone out there have any solution with the - - - - display on the decoder, done everything, switch on n off, hard reset......

+Quote Post
hmwong
post Mar 7 2011, 03:43 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(rolth @ Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM)
I just change my astro Max to Beyond Pvr, after installation the installer told me that i have to wait 2 hours for the decoder to receive signal, waited then nothing happen only the msg "insert correct sim card appear". called installer but he said have to refer to astro technician already, called few times, send signal few times, still nothing happen, then
the next morning, the decoder become blank, only - - - - shown on the Lcd screen, called astro again, setup an appointment, said wl be in 48 hours, till now already a week no call at all, called again then refer to a technician, promise to call in 3 days time, aiyoooo, miss my astro programme already, wish not so complicated, wonder if anyone out there have any solution with the - - - - display on the decoder, done everything, switch on n off, hard reset......
Too bad. I just "up-graded" from Astro Max and the services was activated immediately.

Later when I decided to upgrade to HD, it was also done immediately.

Guess I got lucky.

However, the PVR features is not as friendly as Astro Max eg delete shows. Series Link recording not applicable for many shows. "Favourites" channels and "locked" channels are limited.

Hope they upgrade the control features to be more user-friendly and sensible
+Quote Post
Masculine
post Mar 8 2011, 07:05 AM

Regular

QUOTE(rolth @ Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM)
Almost similar things happen to me. Astromax interrupted. Called astro, they said pls upgrade to PVR. So I upgraded. Said a technician will come within 2 working days. After 4 working days, nothing happen. Called Astro.. they gave wrong phone number to technician... Then, technician come and setup. HDMI off. Technician said have to call astro to activate it.... So I called them again. Asked to activate HDMI and add HD channels. Said will be done within 24 hours.

Nothing happen. Called them again. They said system got problem, promised will activate within 48 hours. 96 hours passed by, nothing happen. Called them again, they said system got problem, they will call me back if got any development on the solution...

So until now, nothing happen... after 1 week of PVR installation, HDMI still off... so this whole screw up by Astro is just pissing me off... I feel like calling them to cancel and cut the service entirely.... vmad.gif mad.gif vmad.gif mad.gif

+Quote Post
johnleeisme2004
post Mar 11 2011, 11:41 AM

Has anyone here succeeded in extending/repeating the infrared signal from astro byond pvr remote control to another room (i.e. you have 2 tv's watching the same channel and you want to switch channel from where the decoder is NOT installed at) using some sort of IR repeater? I failed to do so. I found that the remote control has two LED's, while most of other remote control only have one. Is that the reason why the repeater doesn't work?
+Quote Post
Jack28HT
post Mar 11 2011, 12:05 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(johnleeisme2004 @ Mar 11 2011, 11:41 AM)
Has anyone here succeeded in extending/repeating the infrared signal from astro byond pvr remote control to another room (i.e. you have 2 tv's watching the same channel and you want to switch channel from where the decoder is NOT installed at) using some sort of IR repeater?  I failed to do so.  I found that the remote control has two LED's, while most of other remote control only have one.  Is that the reason why the repeater doesn't work?
Yes, i have been using the IR repeater together with the HDMI extender. It works perfectly. The Byond PVR remote control should be a normal type. Do check your IR repeater again..
+Quote Post
johnleeisme2004
post Mar 11 2011, 12:15 PM

QUOTE(Jack28HT @ Mar 11 2011, 12:05 PM)
Yes, i have been using the IR repeater together with the HDMI extender. It works perfectly. The Byond PVR remote control should be a normal type. Do check your IR repeater again..
Hi Jack28HT,

I'm using Cat5e HDMI extender too. The picture is fine but I just couldn't get the remore control to work cry.gif
May I know exactly where you stick the IR emitter on the decoder?
+Quote Post
termite9
post Mar 11 2011, 02:03 PM

Getting Started

A) i complaint this to cs 8 months ago, they said they will going to update the software to fix the problem......but till now...stillllllllllllllllll the same.... vmad.gif
+Quote Post
Jack28HT
post Mar 11 2011, 02:23 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(johnleeisme2004 @ Mar 11 2011, 12:15 PM)
Hi Jack28HT,

I'm using Cat5e HDMI extender too.  The picture is fine but I just couldn't get the remore control to work cry.gif
May I know exactly where you stick the IR emitter on the decoder?
I think it's about 2inches to the right of the decoder display. You can actually use a tcuch light to see the exact location of the IR receiver on the decoder. Also check if the sticker is blocking the trasmitter. I actually didn't stcik it but just put in on the shelf in front of the decoder. You can also try the TV remote control to control you TV to see if it works.
+Quote Post
johnleeisme2004
post Mar 11 2011, 02:49 PM

QUOTE(Jack28HT @ Mar 11 2011, 02:23 PM)
I think it's about 2inches to the right of the decoder display. You can actually use a tcuch light to see the exact location of the IR receiver on the decoder. Also check if the sticker is blocking the trasmitter. I actually didn't stcik it but just put in on the shelf in front of the decoder. You can also try the TV remote control to control you TV to see if it works.
It works ok with my tv and media player but just not the astro byond pvr. I suspect my hdmi extender doesn't support the astro remote control. I got it last year september through a lowyat forumer. When and where did you get yours?
+Quote Post
stan001
post Mar 13 2011, 10:40 PM

On my way

To all Astro MAX users that complained about the Byond PVR, pls do the following to make sure Astro notice us for our feature requests and complains :-

1. Post to Astro facebook wall

AND

2. e-mail yr complain to : wecare@astro.com.my with :-

Account Number
Full Name
I/C No
Yr complain

After a day or 2, someone will call you back..

I've complain twice about the Linked Series not working or too many program clashing with each other and some of the series is not recorded or recorded half way...

I keep asking for the "Manual recurring Recording" feature and the person on the line tot manual recording means I press the "Record" button..

This post has been edited by stan001: Mar 13 2011, 10:42 PM
+Quote Post
Jack28HT
post Mar 14 2011, 11:07 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(johnleeisme2004 @ Mar 11 2011, 02:49 PM)
It works ok with my tv and media player but just not the astro byond pvr.  I suspect my hdmi extender doesn't support the astro remote control.  I got it last year september through a lowyat forumer.  When and where did you get yours?
I also bought it from here Sept last year:

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1489743

So far works really well and with great support from the seller as well.
+Quote Post
manx
post Mar 21 2011, 12:56 PM

Enthusiast

i have been recorded few series and today when i ON my astro (Extrnal HD) it require me to format my hard drive... wtf??? I cannot even backup my recorded programmes? Any help?
+Quote Post
1loud
post Mar 21 2011, 07:47 PM

is the astro byond is hd ready quality or full hd?
kind of confused..
no angry . noob here

This post has been edited by 1loud: Mar 21 2011, 07:48 PM
+Quote Post
neb
post Mar 21 2011, 07:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!

byond max resolution is 720p or 1080i, this is called HD
for comparison, blueray movies are usially in 1080p full HD
+Quote Post
1loud
post Mar 21 2011, 07:56 PM

so in comparison of hd quality the blu ray has greater advantages?
i think i get it..

This post has been edited by 1loud: Mar 21 2011, 07:56 PM
+Quote Post
jimmyay
post Mar 24 2011, 11:36 PM

Getting Started

Can i use the PVR as hard disk player? Meaning i download movie and play using PVR?
+Quote Post
alfredfx
post Jun 25 2011, 07:10 PM

Enthusiast

what is the feature - record / series link about?

will it record the similar program everyday at the same time ?
+Quote Post
ronnie
post Jun 26 2011, 11:40 PM

Not enough stars

QUOTE(alfredfx @ Jun 25 2011, 07:10 PM)
what is the feature - record / series link about?

will it record the similar program everyday at the same time ?
That's right. Suitable for TV series which each week/day shows a different episode
+Quote Post
zeone
post Jul 24 2011, 04:55 PM

A Friend...

Hi! Juz got my Beyond PVR 2 days ago....
Pls help to tell how to use the Record Series Link feature...

I've tried juz pressing Rec button twice but it does not seem to work! I'm trying to record one AOD series. sad.gif

TQ in adv. notworthy.gif
+Quote Post
bzz
post Jul 29 2011, 03:14 PM

Getting Started

hi,

I went to Lowyat, Sg Wang... But I can't find no shop that sell the WD Passport AV. 1 shop mention, Astro took the stock. Not sure why. But maybe it will take so long before I can buy.

Anyone know where to get this harddisk? Astro got this one?
+Quote Post
elleseven
post Aug 4 2011, 09:06 AM

QUOTE(C-Fu @ Oct 5 2010, 06:21 PM)
anyways this might work. get a HDMI to DVI connector/converter, or HDMI to component cable, and get a tv capture card on your pc to capture the signal. a hassle, but it should work. i have the cables, but no Byond (mainly because I know Astro would do something like this, it's just a matter of time before they'll get creative and makes it even more difficult for you to watch your recorded movies THAT YOU PAID  blink.gif )
Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I really would like to record the shows from my Astro PVR to an external drive or PC.
+Quote Post
barca96
post Aug 22 2011, 12:36 PM

On my way

QUOTE(elleseven @ Aug 4 2011, 09:06 AM)
Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I really would like to record the shows from my Astro PVR to an external drive or PC.
anyone?
+Quote Post
ronnie
post Aug 22 2011, 01:37 PM

Not enough stars

QUOTE(elleseven @ Aug 4 2011, 09:06 AM)
What's the point.... you can easily "download" movies of better quality than Astro's HD
+Quote Post
barca96
post Aug 22 2011, 01:56 PM

On my way

can we stop the monthly payment (ext. HDD) anytime or is there a contract for that?
+Quote Post
krk24
post Aug 23 2011, 01:55 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(silbii @ Jul 25 2010, 02:06 PM)
can we record from astro HD channels and get the same quality of HD with surround sound and all? how big the space used for one full HD film? anyone tried this ?

and can we resort to record to lower resolution settings to record in order to save space?

thx
what u record u will get it identically....no more no less...
if u record HD channel, u will get back the same quality and sound.... cool2.gif
+Quote Post
apexg2
post Aug 23 2011, 08:18 AM

Lotus F1 Fans..haha

u can record and play with ur box oni...other choice is,u can buy Media Player...forgot the brand...can record i think....price around rm6++
+Quote Post
slacx
post Aug 23 2011, 05:12 PM

Casual

Hi,

i'm a Astro Byond PVR user and suddenly my PVR is not functioning. Before this, I can record but right now I can't anymore. It shows the error "PVR functionality not available". Anyone encounter this problem? How to solve this?
+Quote Post
logit85
post Aug 23 2011, 05:24 PM

Regular

QUOTE(slacx @ Aug 23 2011, 05:12 PM)
Hi,

i'm a Astro Byond PVR user and suddenly my PVR is not functioning. Before this, I can record but right now I can't anymore. It shows the error "PVR functionality not available". Anyone encounter this problem? How to solve this?
u need calll astro customer servies
+Quote Post
lowyatsuperman
post Aug 24 2011, 06:08 AM

1. My installer stole my HDMI cable while installing as I didn't have flat screen TV then. Only when I upgraded my TV few weeks later, check inside the box then discovered missing cable.

2. I find that my PVR hangs frequently and I have to switch off the power and restart. Not sure if I should ask for replacement? Because I have some programmes stored inside so if I exchange I will lose those prog.
+Quote Post
azrudin99
post Sep 5 2011, 09:51 PM

astro pvr cannot remote record using pc and android phone. F astro. just call the customers service and they told me this problem will be solve soon . the question is when? i have been waiting for 2 month. already reg at astro.com.my and when tried to remote record using pc or android i got msg U NEED TO SUBSCRIBE ASTRO PVR TO ENJOY REMOTE RECORD! WTF.!! i already subscribe 2 month ago. time to change to unify maybe!
anyone have the same problem? maybe could help. thanks
+Quote Post
chikana
post Sep 8 2011, 04:50 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(lowyatsuperman @ Aug 24 2011, 06:08 AM)
1. My installer stole my HDMI cable while installing as I didn't have flat screen TV then. Only when I upgraded my TV few weeks later, check inside the box then discovered missing cable.

2. I find that my PVR hangs frequently and I have to switch off the power and restart. Not sure if I should ask for replacement? Because I have some programmes stored inside so if I exchange I will lose those prog.
1. This is 'cokia' punya installer. That low quality is cost just a few ringgit only. Itu pun mau sapu ka?
2. I heard there was a known problem on certain manufacturing batch of PVR. Better ask for replacement.

Added on September 8, 2011, 4:51 pm
QUOTE(azrudin99 @ Sep 5 2011, 09:51 PM)
astro pvr cannot remote record using pc and android phone. F astro. just call the customers service and they told me this problem will be solve soon . the question is when? i have been waiting for 2 month. already reg at astro.com.my and when tried to remote record using pc or android i got msg U NEED TO SUBSCRIBE ASTRO PVR TO ENJOY REMOTE RECORD! WTF.!! i already subscribe 2 month ago. time to change to unify maybe!
No problem for me. I can do remote record using my iPhone and PC.

This post has been edited by chikana: Sep 8 2011, 04:51 PM
+Quote Post
rayfoo
post Sep 11 2011, 07:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!

i cant use the website remote record nor andoid app ..
+Quote Post
wira1979
post Sep 15 2011, 11:40 AM

Getting Started

Stupid question but please don't marah as I just got PVR two days ago.

Can the PVR still record if I put the decoder on standby mode?

Thanks gurus
+Quote Post
spikey2506
post Sep 15 2011, 01:07 PM

Professional Bum

QUOTE(wira1979 @ Sep 15 2011, 11:40 AM)
Stupid question but please don't marah as I just got PVR two days ago.

Can the PVR still record if I put the decoder on standby mode?

Thanks gurus
Short answer, yes
+Quote Post
wira1979
post Sep 15 2011, 06:01 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(spikey2506 @ Sep 15 2011, 01:07 PM)
Short answer, yes
Thanks buddy
+Quote Post
Andrewtst
post Sep 20 2011, 02:25 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Simply Loving it!

QUOTE(azrudin99 @ Sep 5 2011, 09:51 PM)
No problem for me, I just get my PVR on 18/Sept/2011 (Sunday), today start can use PVR remote record via web or my Android phone. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Sep 20 2011, 02:26 PM
+Quote Post
yique
post Sep 29 2011, 06:28 PM

Getting Started

can you track/view/modify program you have already set on remote record?
+Quote Post
azrudin99
post Oct 4 2011, 11:21 PM

QUOTE(Andrewtst @ Sep 20 2011, 02:25 PM)
No problem for me, I just get my PVR on 18/Sept/2011 (Sunday), today start can use PVR remote record via web or my Android phone. smile.gif
at last i can do remote record via pc and android smile.gif
+Quote Post
kygt99
post Feb 18 2012, 04:14 PM

Can I convert the recorded files into common file formats like avi, mkv, wmv...?

But first of all I think the question should be whether or not we can have a copy of the file from the hard disk in the PVR? Or is it non-removable or can't be copied in the first place?
I see a nice little USB port just right in front (cheekily smiling)...may be I can somehow get my programme from there? Coz the hard disk is built in sad.gif
Coz if we can't somehow get hold of a copy of the programme we recorded, we can't possibly convert them, right?

I'm getting a little annoyed with ASTRO lately...I paid for the programmes every month. I paid for the PVR. And I'm told in the face I can't keep my favourite programme for future viewing once the hard disk is full??? That's ridiculous...we deserve to keep our favourite shows. Fair and square. We didn't steal it. And we're not trying to mass produce it or pirate it or anything...I have a decent steady income alright...pirating your stuff is just not worth the time and effort...all I want is to keep my Champions League Final or World Cup Final or TVB's Super Trio Show so that I can enjoy them again when I feel like it.

MONOPOLY IN THE MARKET FOR YEARS AND THIS...??? Malaysia memang boleh...Selamat ..l.. Malaysia!!!

So any kind Samaritan out there can help us (poor and helpless subscribers)? Thanks wink.gif
+Quote Post
zeone
post Feb 19 2012, 11:44 AM

A Friend...

QUOTE(azrudin99 @ Oct 4 2011, 11:21 PM)
at last i can do remote record via pc and android smile.gif
Yup, me too! Best!! rclxm9.gif
Using my iPhone, tho...hehe... tongue.gif
+Quote Post
azrudin99
post Feb 19 2012, 07:37 PM

hi all. im using this pvr byond decoder super pack 1. can i take out this pvr astro card and use it on normal astro decoder? thanks
+Quote Post
zeone
post Feb 20 2012, 10:26 AM

A Friend...

QUOTE(azrudin99 @ Feb 19 2012, 07:37 PM)
hi all. im using this pvr byond decoder super pack 1. can i take out this pvr  astro card and use it on normal astro decoder? thanks
Nope. No way.
Not even another Byond decoder/PVR...only the one decoder it's paired to...
Sorry... tongue.gif
+Quote Post
pinkyweed
post Feb 22 2012, 12:39 PM

hi,

how to get the best audio for byond pvr, as what i know we can use coaxial cable which support dolby but not sure what cable it is... icon_question.gif
+Quote Post
Fubar20
post Feb 22 2012, 01:10 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(pinkyweed @ Feb 22 2012, 12:39 PM)
hi,

how to get the best audio for byond pvr, as what i know we can use coaxial cable which support dolby but not sure what cable it is... icon_question.gif
RCA cables. Google for it.
+Quote Post
zeone
post Feb 22 2012, 11:49 PM

A Friend...

QUOTE(Fubar20 @ Feb 22 2012, 01:10 PM)
RCA cables. Google for it.
IMHO both types work...with not much noticeable difference to the common Astro subscriber with basic audio equipment. thumbup.gif
I hv used both connecting them to a Yamaha 5.1 Amp unit. Moreover Astro's Dolby Digi sound is nothing to shout abt... whistling.gif
+Quote Post
Fubar20
post Feb 23 2012, 12:11 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zeone @ Feb 22 2012, 11:49 PM)
IMHO both types work...with not much noticeable difference to the common Astro subscriber with basic audio equipment. thumbup.gif
I hv used both connecting them to a Yamaha 5.1 Amp unit. Moreover Astro's Dolby Digi sound is nothing to shout abt... whistling.gif
hmm.gif What do you mean both types? Compare to HDMI?
Nothing to shout about but much better than using stereo setting and much more focus when viewing dialogue heavy shows. With no subtitle.
+Quote Post
brian_ink094
post May 15 2012, 03:41 PM

Hi, guyz

Just installed PVR yesterday. The service quite good, the decoder worked a few minutes right after installation. (Lucky me) smile.gif

One question here:
Instead of "fit" view setting in my previous B-yond device, the setting change to "Zoom" in PVR. This will expand the display beyond the TV screen. This happen only on normal channels not HD channels, but really annoyed me.
Any solution on this?

Thanks.
sweat.gif
+Quote Post
gtiwtks
post Jun 18 2012, 01:53 PM

HI Guyz,

Anyone facing recorded SD programs (AOD) missing from time to time? Other recorded HD no problem. How to solve it? Any solution?

Thanks.
+Quote Post
azrin_kiko
post Jul 3 2012, 09:30 PM

On my way

Further question can be found on the official thread:
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f...0#entry46827222
+Quote Post
kygt99
post Jul 28 2012, 06:21 PM

QUOTE(malach_hamaves83 @ Jun 20 2010, 10:19 AM)
Hi…
I’m thinking to upgrade my old astro  to astro pvr. But I have few questions, hope somebody can answer it for me.

1)Besides the WD HDD which recommended by astro can I use other brand such as Seagate? Anyone has try to change it with other HDD?
2)What is the file format when u have recorded a tv program from astro?  Anyone has try to play it with a computer? If astro give their own file, anyone has try to convert it to other normal movie format such as mp4, avi or mkv?
3)The lan port at the back of the PVR Box. Can it make file sharing/streaming?.  it stated for iptv so does it mean that I can watch IPTV from unifi using this PVR Box?

Please answer my question so I can get real information. Yes my question a bit technical, but it will help other Malaysian user to decide in the future. I believe we are the one who pay to record, so it’s up to us to play/copy somewhere else.

Thanks
You can try using recorders like AverMedia Game Capture HD which records in AVI format.
Also can plug in external HDD so you'll never run out of storage space.
Try looking around Garage Sales>Game. Should have some used one which is still pretty new.

Added on July 28, 2012, 6:24 pm
QUOTE(silbii @ Jul 25 2010, 01:06 PM)

thx
You can try using recorders like AverMedia Game Capture HD which records in AVI format.
Also can plug in external HDD so you'll never run out of storage space.
Try looking around Garage Sales>Game. Should have some used one which is still pretty new.

This post has been edited by kygt99: Jul 28 2012, 06:24 PM
+Quote Post
rayzlan
post Aug 14 2012, 11:11 AM

Getting Started

the PVR do not have RCA output ? the yellow , white and red ?
+Quote Post
avantasia
post Aug 15 2012, 12:25 AM

a while in dreamland!!!

Can anyone enlightened me how to transfer recorded program from pvr to external hdd?

Appreciate ur guys feedback...tq
+Quote Post
ben3003
post Aug 15 2012, 11:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!

i guess u cant record and take out to pc to play? becos it would make pirating company llife much mmuch much more easier biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
avantasia
post Aug 15 2012, 12:11 PM

a while in dreamland!!!

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Aug 15 2012, 11:06 AM)
i guess u cant record and take out to pc to play? becos it would make pirating company llife much mmuch much more easier biggrin.gif
Ermmmm but without we knowing how to copy that thing....the pasar malam pirated already know how to do it since many pirated dvd have a mark of astro first. flex.gif
+Quote Post
ben3003
post Aug 15 2012, 12:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!

but if astro PVR can freely copy out, then means u can share to ur mak cik pak cik neighbour around, with no sweat smile.gif i think Astro arent that stupid at the first place, unless they are, then nvm la biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
avantasia
post Aug 15 2012, 01:28 PM

a while in dreamland!!!

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Aug 15 2012, 12:33 PM)
but if astro PVR can freely copy out, then means u can share to ur mak cik pak cik neighbour around, with no sweat smile.gif i think Astro arent that stupid at the first place, unless they are, then nvm la biggrin.gif
but sometimes they are really stupid!!
+Quote Post
Spare
post Aug 24 2012, 04:56 PM

Hi. I am new to this forum. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing a problem which I am currently having. Would appreciate if someone can share the solution.

I am subscribed to Astro Byond with HD. After recording any HD show on the PVR, and playing back to watch, I experienced frequent interruption to the show. The show just freezes like it went into pause, then resume. The interruption can be very frequent, about 10 to 20 times in an hour show. Each interruption can last for about 2 seconds to even about 2 minutes.

This problem did not arise when I got the PVR in Feb 2011. It’s only started about 3 months ago. I wonder why this is so. The hard disc is only about 25% recorded.
+Quote Post
chikana
post Aug 25 2012, 12:03 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Spare @ Aug 24 2012, 04:56 PM)
Hi. I am new to this forum. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing a problem which I am currently having. Would appreciate if someone can share the solution.

I am subscribed to Astro Byond with HD. After recording any HD show on the PVR, and playing back to watch, I experienced frequent interruption to the show. The show just freezes like it went into pause, then resume. The interruption can be very frequent, about 10 to 20 times in an hour show. Each interruption can last for about 2 seconds to even about 2 minutes.

This problem did not arise when I got the PVR in Feb 2011. It’s only started about 3 months ago. I wonder why this is so. The hard disc is only about 25% recorded.
I think this is hard disk problem. If you don't mind, try to reformat your hard disk (you will loose all your recorded program) and try to record again and see.
+Quote Post
Spare
post Sep 7 2012, 04:49 PM

I complained my problem to Astro. After a few days, Astro sent a technician and changed my PVR, for free. Even replace the remote control.

+Quote Post
THEALB10N
post Sep 7 2012, 06:20 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(myckchin @ Jul 16 2010, 02:08 AM)

and the answer was "Astro will provide 2 x 20m new coaxial cable for you to replace with the existing cable."

Is this mean We must use the new coaxial cable? Can We use the existing one? because if must use the new one, that will be trouble because need to drill a new hole in my house and see the wire.....
When I swapped from Max to the new PVR I didn't have to replace my old cable. But they will run a second cable to your box as the new PVR requires 2 cables from the dish.

Added on September 7, 2012, 6:24 pm
QUOTE(88sales88 @ Sep 30 2010, 09:29 AM)
Astro just made an offer to me to swap out my Astromax for a Byond PVR for free + free 2 years recording service and after which Rm10 a month.

It is not really an offer since they said if I don't take it up, I will not be able to use my Astromax AT ALL as they are upgrading their softwares and Astromax is not compatible.

I am happy with the swap except that after 2 years I will need to pay for recording capability which I do not have to pay today with my Astromax.

If Astro just ask me to pay upfront say a 200-300 Upgrade free of the device, I would be more than happy. Now I have to go look for my Astromax T&C to see what is says there if there are any mention of recording fee. If there is none, I think we got a case that Astro is not being fair here.
I was never offered this when they called me up and told me to upgrade! To be fair though, it's only RM10 a month so I'm not too bothered.

This post has been edited by THEALB10N: Sep 7 2012, 06:24 PM
+Quote Post
mrlonely78
post Mar 28 2013, 07:32 PM

Getting Started

guys,

want to ask question.

1) got pvr.
2) got 1 programme recorded.
3) this programme cannot be play or delete.

how to delete this recorded programme?

the rest of recorded programme can be watch and deleted, only this 1 programme.

hope someone can advise.

thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
joefbi
post Jun 6 2013, 05:43 PM

joefbi a.k.a roketx

PVR use 2 cables from the dish. on the installation, change from byond to pvr, they
take ur byond and replace pvr. install new set of cable to your dish and change to double LNB head at the dish. New pvr got same socket as byond (lan/hdmi/rca/usb).

u can record all type of movies in single recording or in LINK for series programs.
every recording u can set a password to prevent the record cancellation or deletion from the recording list.

all recording item will include subtitles if u enables subtitles in the setting for subtitled program/films. So far, my pvr is working great. if u facing a problem with the playback or any, i think u should call up astro immediately.

my pvr is 1 month old and im enjoyed it (super pack + HD content) RM132 monthly.
pvr upgrade pay RM50 for installation, free 20M cables, contract for 24months.
+Quote Post
MerongMahaWangsa
post Jul 30 2013, 11:07 AM

QUOTE(mrlonely78 @ Mar 28 2013, 07:32 PM)
guys,

want to ask question.

1) got pvr.
2) got 1 programme recorded.
3) this programme cannot be play or delete.

how to delete this recorded programme?

the rest of recorded programme can be watch and deleted, only this 1 programme.

hope someone can advise.

thanks in advance.
I got same problem
+Quote Post
mrlonely78
post Jul 30 2013, 02:14 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(MerongMahaWangsa @ Jul 30 2013, 11:07 AM)
I got same problem
i fixed this by reformatting the drive.

all files deleted, no other way.

thanks.

+Quote Post
MerongMahaWangsa
post Aug 1 2013, 03:05 PM

QUOTE(mrlonely78 @ Jul 30 2013, 02:14 PM)
i fixed this by reformatting the drive.

all files deleted, no other way.

thanks.
how to reformatting the drive?
can you explain more?
Thanks
+Quote Post
mrlonely78
post Aug 2 2013, 05:38 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(MerongMahaWangsa @ Aug 1 2013, 03:05 PM)
how to reformatting the drive?
can you explain more?
Thanks
go to setting, i think at the factory reset menu got this menu to format the drive.

pls explore the setting menu.

thanks.

+Quote Post
Hagendaz
post Aug 2 2013, 05:18 PM

Hi,
I just change to a new b.yond PVR box.
Can I just subscribe to the pvr service only and not the HD. ?
If yes how much does it cost
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1625sec    4.13    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 08:45 PM