Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> West Malaysian to work in Sarawak, Work permit...?

Uchiha Itachi
post Jun 7 2010, 07:45 PM, updated 9y ago

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

Hi guys, my company (based in Shah Alam) plans to send me to Sarawak to work and handle a project in Kuching. As I understand, West Malaysian are required to apply for work permit in order to work in Sarawak. May I know what is the procedure of applying work permit and process involved? Which department should I engage? Is it possible for its employee to apply for work permit if the company does not have any branches in Sarawak?

Thanks!
IluvProton
post Jun 7 2010, 07:47 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

A work permit is the most important documentation required for those seeking employment in the country. Normally this is obtained by your company either before you arrive in Malaysia or once you arrive here. Employees and their family are allowed to enter the country on social visas issued by Malaysian Immigration officials upon arrival, however strictly speaking you should not start working until the visa is issued.

It is worth noting that the East Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak have their own immigration procedures and travelling from the Peninsular (West Malaysia) to East Malaysia requires separate formalities (this means taking your passport whenever you travel there). Work permits must be obtained in these respective states upon arrival.

Malaysia needs foreign workers in selected industries but not all. If you are being offered a job here it can be assumed that your employer has already determined this. If you come here seeking employment do not assume that the country requires your services. In fact many expats have come here looking for work and been disappointed. Even those offered jobs often found the promised work permit was never obtained.

The documentation for a work permit is a precise and sometimes lengthy process. Completing this by yourself is possible but may prove to be a frustrating experience - perhaps, your first encounter with "culture shock" and Government bureaucracy. There are agents who, for a fee, do the running around for such permits and for first timers, this is highly recommended. Leading companies will have this already organised so relax, let others do the hard work.

Permits will be given for varying periods from six months to several years depending on the position and the approving committee. Usually first timers get a two year visa, unless their employment contract is for a shorter period and up to five years can be given for renewal.

The permit will be placed in your passport and will note your position, employer's name and address. Dependants will also be given a permit stating that: "any form of employment is strictly prohibited". Should any dependent want to work they will have to go through a separate and personal application for a work permit.

People with employment passes will also receive an “Expatriate Identification” card called an I Kad, which can be carried around as an ID card in place of carrying a passport. It is understood that eventually dependents will receive this card. Students at international schools will also receive ID cards.

Some people choose to work without a permit and leave the country every three months (when their social visa expires), to re-enter a day or so later with a new social visa. The dangers of such a process are obvious. If done more than a couple of times, it may raise the suspicion of the Immigration Department as to whether you are merely visiting or actually working in the country.

Apart for being illegal, the odds of being found out and the possibility of being deported home is quite higher as Malaysia practices stringent laws prohibiting foreigners working in the country without proper permits, therefore this is not recommended.
For more details, check out the Immigration Department's website at wwww.imi.gov.my. There is a section in English.

Uchiha Itachi
post Jun 7 2010, 07:59 PM

Enthusiast

^Unless I understand wrongly, the above assume that your employer is based on East Malaysia, which is different from my situation here. My employer is based on West Malaysia and do not have branches in Sarawak, can I even apply for a work permit...?
toughnut
post Jun 7 2010, 08:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Ask your HR to sort it out. And prepare to stay on top of trees.
IluvProton
post Jun 7 2010, 08:21 PM

Getting Started

I not really sure, I think just call up immigration for 100% confirmation
Sethmaster
post Jun 7 2010, 08:22 PM

Casual

QUOTE(toughnut @ Jun 7 2010, 08:20 PM)
Ask your HR to sort it out. And prepare to stay on top of trees.
Yes. If not you will kena langgar by orang utan riding hornbills
asrul
post Jun 7 2010, 08:26 PM

The Awang Family

QUOTE(Uchiha Itachi @ Jun 7 2010, 07:45 PM)
Hi guys, my company (based in Shah Alam) plans to send me to Sarawak to work and handle a project in Kuching. As I understand, West Malaysian are required to apply for work permit in order to work in Sarawak. May I know what is the procedure of applying work permit and process involved? Which department should I engage? Is it possible for its employee to apply for work permit if the company does not have any branches in Sarawak?

Thanks!
dont forget to bring extra cawat and also learn to jump from tree to another tree
michaelyii1988
post Jun 7 2010, 08:29 PM

:)

QUOTE(Sethmaster @ Jun 7 2010, 08:22 PM)
Yes. If not you will kena langgar by orang utan riding hornbills
sounds like sarawak version Avatar. hmm.gif
Sethmaster
post Jun 7 2010, 08:34 PM

Casual

QUOTE(michaelyii1988 @ Jun 7 2010, 08:29 PM)
sounds like sarawak version Avatar.  hmm.gif
How dare you, sir vmad.gif

Dont you know where that arsehole Cameron get his blue niggers on big birds idea from?

I have on good authority before he penned the scripts, he visited Sarawak for a year, screaming like a maniac in the jungle.

So, in short

Avatar is like a blue-skinned film about Sarawak
toothgnasher
post Jun 7 2010, 08:38 PM

Getting Started

habis la. ur kapla sure bekam my dekorasi.
krayden
post Jun 7 2010, 08:49 PM

Getting Started

When you reach Sarawak, they will give you a visit pass for 3months. You can apply for work visa during that 3months failing which, you can go to singapore for a day or 3 just to exit. On company account of course.

Whether they approve your application for a capatalist West Malaysian company seeking to raid the Republic of Sarawak off it's riches (especially without even bothering to rent local property), will be in the hands of the higher authorities.

But 3months np, extend that if you want. I suggest doing the SG diversion. Even if they question you on entry again, you can just say its in the process.

This is from personal experience and should be ok unless they suddenly tightened the laws.

Worst case scenario, you will be frowned upon.
Never heard of any W. M'sian actually getting deported.

This post has been edited by krayden: Jun 7 2010, 08:50 PM
Uchiha Itachi
post Jun 7 2010, 08:55 PM

Enthusiast

^Thanks for the reply. Any idea what is the visit pass period granted for Singaporean? 3 months as well?
fookeatmin89
post Jun 7 2010, 09:03 PM

Getting Started

1Malaysia..but why this nonsense??
michaelyii1988
post Jun 7 2010, 09:07 PM

:)

QUOTE(fookeatmin89 @ Jun 7 2010, 09:03 PM)
if u got study properly F4,F5 History then u tau lah. biggrin.gif
Uchiha Itachi
post Jun 7 2010, 10:52 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(fookeatmin89 @ Jun 7 2010, 09:03 PM)
Yup, I also surprised when I learned that West Malaysian need to apply work permit in order to work in East Malaysia. Treat us like foreigner sad.gif
Grif
post Jun 7 2010, 11:03 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Uchiha Itachi @ Jun 7 2010, 10:52 PM)
Yup, I also surprised when I learned that West Malaysian need to apply work permit in order to work in East Malaysia. Treat us like foreigner  sad.gif
All for a good cause. whistling.gif
Sethmaster
post Jun 7 2010, 11:03 PM

Casual

This is but 1 step towards Soviet Sarawak.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
dkk
post Jun 7 2010, 11:05 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Group: Elite

Instead of going to Singapore, can you just go to Sabah or Labuan? Or does that not count?
defdekz
post Jun 7 2010, 11:07 PM

Getting Started

i only know sarawak is the most richest country in malaysia drool.gif
edministrator
post Jun 7 2010, 11:10 PM

Regular

QUOTE(defdekz @ Jun 7 2010, 11:07 PM)
i only know sarawak is the most richest country in malaysia drool.gif
Hail Soviet Sarawak!