Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Nuclear contamination in Bukit Merah, Perak, It happened in Perak before... oMG!!!! News

views

SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 10:05 AM, updated 14y ago

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

http://www.mmail.com.my/content/35586-sela...ear-power-plant

It seems that we humans seems to conveniently forget the past (or, maybe just our beloved Federal govt). It's been almost 30 years since the nuclear contamination case in Bukit Merah, Perak, and already there is now confirmation that M'sia is soon to join the "exclusive" club of nuclear power-generating countries. I'm not sure how many of us M'sians (including the young and politicians) have heard of what had happened in Bukit Merah in the early 1980s. Perhaps the following company name may jog their memory - A.R.E. (Asian Rare Earth)?

If my memory serves me correctly, the Consumer Assoc. of Penang had uncovered the act of this Japanese company illegally (or with the convenience of local authorities) dumping nuclear toxic waste underground in and around the Bukit Merah area. At the time when the news broke out nationally, many residents of Bukit Merah were showing the classic symptons of leukemia or radiation poisoning. There was even concern that such nuclear waste had contaminated the underground sources of water, which we are even drinking today! There were even babies who were born deformed, while pregnant women suffered from painful miscarriages.

I wonder if the good people of Bukit Merah still recall this incident, nearly 30 years ago. Or, has time changed all that? Perhaps, some monetary compensation did that magical trick of "memory insomnia"? Anyway, I leave it to the present generation of M'sians to uncover the truth as generating nuclear power requires discipline and responsibility (e.g. in terms of disposing nuclear toxic waste, which we are not capable of doing, judging from our appalling lack of concern for the environment for simple issues like the throwing of our daily garbage wastes). I applaud the Selangor state government's stand on this issue as there are certainly many other cleaner alternatives to generate renewable sources of energy than nuclear power. For once, we M'sians should unite and say "Tak Nak" (meaning, "don't need/want") nuclear energy. We should start thinking of alternatives such as wind power, solar power or even other renewable/green sources of energy currently being developed by other developed countries.

SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 10:08 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(Deimos Tel`Arin @ May 18 2010, 10:07 AM)
what happened 30 years ago?
did we create any mutants?
I think yes. And now Malaysia plan to have Nuclear power plant... I wonder... where and how they dump their waste?
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 10:10 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

http://www.oneworldtalk.freeforums.org/nuc...posal-t170.html
Environmental Effects of Nuclear Dumping in Malaysia

Despite protests, former Malaysian PM pushed ahead the dumping of radioactive waste in Perak, on the grounds that it is for the sake of Malaysia's industry. Radioactive waste were stored and dumped by Japanese owned Asian Rare Earth (ARE) company. which processed monazite

No one really believes that nuclear dumping is harmless as claimed by Malaysian government. "Do not do unto others what you would not have them do to you", said Confucius. Due to stringent environmental standards set in Japan, ARE moved its operations of processing monazite to Malaysia at Bukit Merah, Papan, Perak. The rare earth is processed in Perak, then shipped back to Japan for industrial use, while the radioactive and toxic residue would remain in Malaysia.

A freudian slip by Mahathir? He was quoted as saying that the government "can't guarantee the safety of the people if they get into the area, dig the soil, bathe in it or throw it over their heads".

The choice of a Chinese dominated area chosen for the dumping site is politically motivated and a sinister plot. Bukit Merah has 99.99% Chinese occupants, to be on the conservative side. That is a small and dispensable sacrifice in Mahathir's calculations.

Reports of bad smell, choking, coughing, colds, tearing, coupled with studies of leukemia, infant mortality, congenital diseas and lead poisoning alerted the plight of nearby village folks. In 1985, eight people sued ARE and on behalf of 10,000 residents of Bukit Merah. However, a number of environmentalists were jailed in 1987 for demonstrating.

Not surprisingly, the price land and houses in the vicinity of the dumping grounds have been extremely depressed while the rest of Perak and Malaysia prospered. If possible, no one would want to live there. Have these long suffering residents been forgotten by the rest of society?

http://www.surforever.com/sam/a2z/content4.html
http://www.unctad-10.org/pdfs/preux_fdipaper4.en.pdf

SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 10:15 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(soundsyst64 @ May 18 2010, 10:12 AM)
Kronologi Kejadian Asian Rare Earth di Bukit Merah
Berikut adalah kronologi penetangan Asian Rare Earth (ARE) di Bukit Merah, Ipoh sehingga penutupannya pada 19 Januari, 1994.

http://sisaradioaktif.blogspot.com/2009/01...e-earth-di.html

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Newspaper cutting
http://aplikasi.kpkt.gov.my/akhbar.nsf/852...&TableRow=2.0#2.
Thanks for the info. Eventhough the Bukit Merah is not really some nuclear incident, but it show that how Malaysia handle
environment issue. I can't believe nuclear will be handled appropriately by Malaysian. If Singaporean, I might feel more
confident. With Malaysian government, I think we can prepare to die or migrate.
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 10:52 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 10:41 AM)
Says who?

India has lots of skilled workers especially when they have many nuclear plants.

Besides, its stupid to link nuclear disaster to just not having skills to maintain locally. Shallow minded people will spit out shit like yours without doing further research into the feasibility of the entire initiative.
lol... are you from the government nuclear body?
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:05 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 10:55 AM)
I believe Malaysians are way better than India in terms of standard of living and tech advancements and country governance.

Yet why is India ahead of Malaysia in nuclear?
are you being fed with government propaganda until you cannot think yourself?
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:07 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 10:59 AM)
Can you assure that the planes in the sky dont drop ontop of your head?

you people like to take isolated incidents and blow it out of proportion with simplistic generalizations of the worse case scenario.

If malaysia is that bad as you envision it due to those isolated cases, then the LRT would be failing and killing people all the time, MAS and AirAsia planes would be crashing down periodically and our TNB plants would be up in flames every month as it catches fire from leaking petrol.  rolleyes.gif

As usual, people here have not an ounce of intellect.
lol... those stuff are necessity (nuclear is not). Did you remember our LRT wheel drop down? That's Malaysian.... Malaysia is that BADD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:11 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:07 AM)
Simple. Point down south. There's an island south of Johor that is full of rotten apples. Its an ideal place to contain all nuclear waste disposals and leakages. point it there. Yes.

If malaysia is so bad, TNB power plants would be blowing up every now and then because malaysia is not efficient enough in handling explosive materials like petrol when they use it to fuel their powerplants.
Malaysia is bad!!!

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...2401&sec=nation

High Court finds monorail operator liable for accident

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here held the monorail operator liable for an incident seven years ago in which a safety wheel flew off a train and fell on a Bernama journalist.
If nuclear plant, I wonder what will fall off????
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:14 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:11 AM)
Their nation is cheap with cheap books cheap meals and cheap accomodations and cheap lives. Look at their train is stuffed like cheap sardines.
Yet, nuclear!
No, but looking at statistics, I'd say Malaysia deserves more credit where its due regardless.
Electricity is not necessity too. its just luxury.  rolleyes.gif

Our present energy generation is based on fossil fuel, and small percentage on hydro dam (which changes the ecosystem badly)

LRT wheel drop? Tell me, how often did that happen?
Can you show me a consistent failure in LRT that causes death and great damage?
Car accidents and deaths on the road is even more consistent. So why dont you voice out on the complete ban in motorised vehicles?
Being self hypocrite is awesome, yes?
lol... wtf... Nuclear plant need to leak once only to kill all the people... doh.gif

This post has been edited by gogo2: May 18 2010, 11:14 AM
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:15 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(samantha88 @ May 18 2010, 11:11 AM)
so....that's why ipoh gal all pretty?
yeah, are you from Ipoh? if not, then nvm.
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:18 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:16 AM)
Really? its that easy to leak?

tell me, KLCC only need to collapse ONCE to kill all the people.

Why is it still standing tall? You seriously think KLCC is 100% malaysian made?

Likewise, will the nuclear facility going to be 100% malaysian made?  rolleyes.gif
wtf... KLCC is not dangerous... it is a buiding... it won't fall because its not build by
Malaysian. And bad maintenance won't cause it to fall.

Nuclear facility will leak if not maintain properly. fffuuuuu....can you give better example?
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:26 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(penmarker @ May 18 2010, 11:21 AM)
what about a dam? i dont see any dams crumbling down and killing people.
and coal power plants can blow up and kill people too. why it hasn't blown up?
dams bad maintenance won't cause it to crumbling down easily... furthermore, its not that dangerous... worse still is flooding that kill...

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:22 AM)
Bad maintenance wont cause it to fall because its infrastructure is made by foreigners with many check and balances and counter measures so human errors can be limited to a great extend.

Likewise, building a nuclear facility requires foreign expertise, in which check and balances will be put in place so that human errors will never cause leakages or failures no matter what. Other than direct bombardment via C4 or aerial bombing, you practically cant make a nuclear to fail just like this.

Similar to KLCC.  whistling.gif
u tok kok la... where got same.... nuclear power plant involve handling of material...etc.. we're not just talking about buiding the nuclear
plant building...

I just realised you're either troll or BN cybertrooper hired and paid by BN... please dun tok kok anymore...
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:33 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:28 AM)
Keep in mind on this : http://www-ns.iaea.org/standards/

The government of malaysia must allow inspectors into their facilities to audit it without restrictions.

Such strict adherence to standards of safety will prevent all those contamination thingy you're worried about.

Remember, Malaysia isnt north korea or iran where inspectors arent allowed to freely inspect and audit.
I remember that Malaysia government is secretive. Even Petronas account also cannot inspect. You think
they let other people inspect their nuclear plant?

Futhermore, any problem in nuclear plant will not be discussed in mass media. Malaysia is not a free country.
You can say its like North Korea. Same same.
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:35 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:33 AM)
Still its all about mission critical systems where lives are at stake.

Nuclear affects neighbouring countries too. And malaysia being a member of UN, CHOGM, ASEAN, WTF, KFC, MCD A&W, and those shit, you'd think other countries will easily allow us to have nuclear if we do not adhere to standards and audits?

You really think its that easy to screw things up?  rolleyes.gif
Really? You must be a PKR cybertrooper troll hired and paid by buttsexing anwar the sodomer. Please dont troll here
I hope to get money also for cybertroop for PKR...

ANyway, in Malaysia, anything can screw up.

Malaysia already langgar a lot of law. Example is human rights law. That's why until now, Suhakam no member.

You're saying you talk with facts when you equate Nuclear plant with KLCC? wtf!!!!!!!!!
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:36 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(t3chn0m4nc3r @ May 18 2010, 11:35 AM)
nope but malaysia can bribe them...
coffee money or ISA... choose 1... laugh.gif
Ah Kow just equate Nuclear Plant with KLCC... that tell us the fact that he'll come up with...
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:40 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:37 AM)
Petronas account can cause deaths to people and to neighbouring countries?

your mind is fantastically imaginative to the most ridiculous extend.

Malaysia is still under UN and sanctions will be imposed.

You seriously think the nuclear plant will be 100% malaysian made and 100% maintained & managed by malaysians?
EVen your own household kids malaysians had to outsource to Indonesians...what makes you think a project this big can be handled by malaysians alone?  I think  you gave Malaysia too much credit !  laugh.gif
%#&@*%&(&@%.....

Petronas account cannot cause death. But its example to what extend Malaysia government will do if something happened in the
plant.

Malaysia is not under UN. LOL... you gave too much power to UN...

I'm not sure how many % of it made and maintain by Malaysia. Do you know?
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:49 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:46 AM)
Sure. My daddy gets milllions for each post i made supporting UMNO. Good money.
In malaysia everything can be screwed up. So might as well get screwed up with radiation, at least you can grow claws like wolverine

KLCC is an analogy, that should murphy's law applies. Yet its still standing inspite of malaysia being shitty in maintenance.
and with the nuclear plant being made to current standards, its more sophisticated and advanced, thus it will take more than just "bad maintenance" to bring it down.

Really? Malaysia not a UN member? WOW...you're so smart. 
may I know which dupe are you? I thought you're cow but when you debate, I feel you're quite a hardy person...
I think I surrender now before I got addicted debate with you...and you talk about UMNO and PKR, I sure know where
you coming from...

and about UN thingy, I'm not saying Malaysia is not UN member. I'm just saying UN is not really powerful....

but i do want to know which dupe are you? are you new cybertrooper? i long time no talk in kopitiam... i feel there's
some new cybertrooper here...
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:52 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:49 AM)
Precisely. With shit management and handling KLCC still stands.
What more can you say on nuclear plants???

Still dont get the logic, stupid?  laugh.gif
Sure. Nuclear atoms will be made racists and attack a particular pendatang only. Oh shi....
there's no logic to equate KLCC bad maintenance and nuclear plant bad maintenance...

And why you bring racism in this thread!!!??? I know what is your race when you say PKR
and UMNO. But I never know you're going to race here.... mad.gif
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:54 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:52 AM)
does it matter? i;m not even trolling you.
no no.. I'm not saying u troll me. I just want to get to know you so that we can be friend.
SUSgogo2
post May 18 2010, 11:57 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ah-kow @ May 18 2010, 11:55 AM)
UITM mar.
haiya, if I know you're from UITM, then I surely know you will race...

anyway, hope we can be friend even though you racing...

2 Pages  1 2 >
Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0148sec    0.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:07 PM