Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The "Lighter Note" - the ultimate passive preamp?, My DIY using Light Dependent Resistors (Hi-Fi)

views

TSBernie7
post May 4 2010, 08:19 AM, updated 12y ago

Getting Started
59 posts

Afaik, all volume controls, Alps, Noble, TVC etc have mechanical wipers, switches and mechanical contacts that the signal has to pass through. These things cause distortion and noise. Enter the LDR or Light Dependent Resistor. It's a variable resistor that changes in value according to the light shining on it. So, in a voltage divider volume control arrangement, by changing the power to the light, we change the resistance of the series and shunt and hence we change the volume. All the signal sees is one soldered resistor in its path! So how does it sound? Is this the ultimate volume control that at least one manufacturer used in some usd20k hi-end preamp?

To find out I built one.
The Lighter Note is more sophisticated than the better-known Lightspeed. It refines on that design.

user posted image
The diy kit - all that to replace 1 pot, crazy?!!

user posted image
Assembled and being calibrated. Yes it needs extensive tuning to select impedance, max and min resistance and even profile! Just the ticket for perfectly matching impedance between source and amp!
I use two boards for the LDRs instead of one so I have option to mount the LDR board into each one of my monoblocks. Torroid is mounted in external box that now also powers the B1 buffer.

user posted image
In other thread I built the Pass B1 buffer. The Lighter Note was originally meant to replace its muddling early 20th Century pot. This is how they would look together - their red 'undies' totally match even to their thickness!

user posted image
But no! the LN is really too good to be stuck with the B1 and deserves its own box
See those black blobs marked SR2 near the RCAs? That'll be the Silonex LDRs.
A little more complicated than the B1 preamp to build!

user posted image
Still in the mood for sexy see-throughs, here's the LN with its own acrylic box
The B1 hasn't been forgotten, this box is designed for stacking with it, with matched footprints.

user posted image
What's with that offbeat blue knob? It's the balance control, and happens to be the only knob I had on hand lah. Will look for something matching later.

So does it work? Yes. All those parts - two pots, 8 trimmers, 6 ICs, two power supplies, etc to replace just one pot, it better!

But how does it sound? Let me just say I'm still picking my jaw from the floor ohmy.gif Seriously. But I'm going to listen over the next few days before trying to describe the sound for which I was not prepared. This way I'll avoid initial over-enthusiasm and report more objectively. It will be used as passive preamp and compared against the B1 and Yaqin CD3 buffer preamps.

This post has been edited by Bernie7: Oct 4 2010, 11:13 AM
DaEMoNteNTAcLe
post May 4 2010, 09:25 AM

~ w00d!!! ~
2,825 posts

omg..
very nice piece of work u got there,
from the pcb to the casing..
im envious. blush.gif
simply stunning. thumbup.gif
TSBernie7
post May 4 2010, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

I should add that the Lighter Note (LN) is connected between my DEQ2496 and monoblock power amps (UcD400HG HxR). Speakers are Swan F2.2.

The DEQ2496 has been modded so that its DAC chip plays directly to the output through banks of 0.47uF Dayton caps, bypassing all the stock opamps. The DAC chip has also been changed from AK4393 to the miracle dac AK4396 tongue.gif

jkleejk
post May 4 2010, 09:57 AM

Regular
1,959 posts

great works, thanks for sharing.

another item in my wish list.
DaEMoNteNTAcLe
post May 4 2010, 09:58 AM

~ w00d!!! ~
2,825 posts

QUOTE(Bernie7 @ May 4 2010, 09:27 AM)
I should add that the Lighter Note (LN) is connected between my DEQ2496 and monoblock power amps (UcD400HG HxR). Speakers are Swan F2.2.

The DEQ2496 has been modded so that its DAC chip plays directly to the output through banks of 0.47uF Dayton caps, bypassing all the stock opamps. The DAC chip has also been changed from AK4393 to the miracle dac AK4396  tongue.gif
well apart from my comments above.. these are ancient greeks to me.. laugh.gif
still kagum neways.. shocking.gif
bahathir
post May 4 2010, 10:12 AM

Regular
1,200 posts

Wwoew. Very advanced. Looks more ANALOG: )

Btw, I am also contact less volume control, yup digital volume control on my pmp and digital ht avr smile.gif

Anyway your light volume control is very interesting, and wish can audition it in future.

This post has been edited by bahathir: May 4 2010, 10:16 AM
TSBernie7
post May 4 2010, 10:14 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(DaEMoNteNTAcLe @ May 4 2010, 09:58 AM)
well apart from my comments above.. these are ancient greeks to me.. laugh.gif
still kagum neways..  shocking.gif
what it basically means is the rest of the gear should be good enough to assess the LN biggrin.gif

cheers!

Added on May 4, 2010, 10:21 am
QUOTE(bahathir @ May 4 2010, 10:12 AM)
Wwoew. Very advanced. Looks more ANALOG: ) 

Btw, I am also contact less volume control, yup digital volume control on my pmp and digital ht avr smile.gif
It is 100% analog. And makes my whole setup sound more like it too ohmy.gif

I have been using 24bit digital volume using the DEQ2496 gain control, and careful not to exceed my quota of digital attenuation. But this LDR thingee is at another level or three higher. Makes me wonder why.... how can a resistor sound so good???!!! hmm.gif

Added on May 4, 2010, 10:22 am
QUOTE(jkleejk @ May 4 2010, 09:57 AM)
great works, thanks for sharing.

another item in my wish list.
Thanks bro.

Added on May 4, 2010, 10:25 am
QUOTE(bahathir @ May 4 2010, 10:12 AM)
Anyway your light volume control is very interesting, and wish can audition it in future.
Welcome to come hear next time you're in S'pore

Help me to confirm what my ears hear flex.gif

This post has been edited by Bernie7: May 4 2010, 10:25 AM
dlyz
post May 4 2010, 10:38 AM

Dynaudio
1,826 posts

Great work, great post, envy your knowledge and DIY skill. Very neat and clean. Waiting for your review on the sound.

Unlike a certain fool who might electrocute himself with his own equipment.
bahathir
post May 4 2010, 10:49 AM

Regular
1,200 posts

In electronics, LCR plays very important role in signal handling. So, in this case, the R or Impedance do make lots of differences. Also, the components quality also effects the SQ too, no doubt about it.. That's why sometime we must use the correct impedance value to get more accurate signal. Impedance mismatch can make thing worse or data errors in digital signal transfer.

Yes, I can imagine how Analog your LN sound like smile.gif, based on your jaw dropping experiences. It must be, very very very smooooth volume control with very little noise.

TQ. and congratulation with your new 'toy',' errr gear smile.gif ...Right now, I only can stick and enjoy to my contactless digital volume control right now. sad.gif..., jealous nya smile.gif, but at least it has same 'contactlessness' here smile.gif he hhe he

BTW... what is the resistance range of your LN ?

Added on May 4, 2010, 10:56 am
QUOTE(dlyz @ May 4 2010, 10:38 AM)
No doubt, Mr. bernie7 is very knowledgeable in this field. smile.gif I wish I also have that huge amount amount of knowledge and $$$ too, smile.gif

This post has been edited by bahathir: May 4 2010, 10:56 AM
DaEMoNteNTAcLe
post May 4 2010, 11:12 AM

~ w00d!!! ~
2,825 posts

QUOTE(dlyz @ May 4 2010, 10:38 AM)
Great work, great post, envy your knowledge and DIY skill. Very neat and clean. Waiting for your review on the sound.

this i had to laugh laugh.gif

anyways, ya.. bernie7 shown impressive work there.. wish i'd have half that skills..
TSBernie7
post May 4 2010, 11:19 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(bahathir @ May 4 2010, 10:49 AM)
In electronics, LCR plays very important role in signal handling. So, in this case, the R or Impedance do make lots of differences. Also, the components quality also effects the SQ too, no doubt about it.. That's why sometime we must use the correct impedance value to get more accurate signal. Impedance mismatch can make thing worse or data errors in digital signal transfer.

Yes, I can imagine how Analog  your LN sound like smile.gif, based on your jaw dropping experiences.  It must be,  very very very smooooth volume control with very little noise.
TQ. and congratulation with your new 'toy',' errr gear  smile.gif ...Right now,  I only can stick and enjoy to my contactless digital volume control right now. sad.gif..., jealous nya smile.gif, but at least it has same 'contactlessness' here smile.gif he hhe he

BTW... what is the resistance range of your LN ?

Added on May 4, 2010, 10:56 am

No doubt, Mr. bernie7 is very knowledgeable in this field. smile.gif I wish I also have that huge amount  amount of knowledge and $$$ too,  smile.gif
Yeah LCR and impedance matching, but I suspect the sound of this thing is more than just that. It's just quite stunning! We know that resistors can sound different, so maybe this optico-type resistor has special audio qualities.

Impedance of the LN has been dialed in to 10k. The source O/P impedance is 1R (!!!) and the amps are 100K so all is cool.

But the LDRs are not very linear, so the impedance falls to 4.5K then rises back to 10K as vol goes up. Still cool as the lower Z is better for my power amps. It falls in my listening range.

Huge knowledge, nah, still trying and learning, and the LN kit is not exp lah biggrin.gif
jazzy939
post May 4 2010, 11:58 AM

reel is real
8,183 posts

Excellent work there! thumbup.gif
I did tried this but based as per diyparadise's circuit.

This is the best yet as far as passive attenuators are concerned.
Some people like the sound, some people don't.
I personally like active attenuators.. wink.gif

Keep us posted with a full review ya!

power911
post May 4 2010, 02:16 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,496 posts

rclxms.gif
Akabane@DrJackel
post May 4 2010, 11:11 PM

**Music Listeners**
4,540 posts

GREAT MASTERPIECE...
TSBernie7
post May 5 2010, 07:28 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

Thanks for compliments bros, but it really isn't that hard to diy this with the kit.
Gotta be v careful when soldering and tuning the LDRs though as they are delicate things that damage with too much heat or voltage.

jazzy939, the diyparadise project uses a different LDR part and it's nowhere near this design in maturity. I read it has problems with stability and channel balance which is obvious from the simple circuit. My LN has a measured balance variation of +-0.6% throughout the whole operating range! Noble pots go up to 10% imbalance, so a friend who measured them told me.

What's the link to the diyparadise active volume circuit?

This post has been edited by Bernie7: May 5 2010, 08:23 AM
jazzy939
post May 5 2010, 10:56 AM

reel is real
8,183 posts

Bernie7,
Yes, I am aware of the limitations that was based on a simple LDR circuit but that was not my issue. It's just that I simply don't like (the sound of) passive attenuators. biggrin.gif
gabanyayaya
post May 5 2010, 07:39 PM

Audiophedophile
1,142 posts

QUOTE(Bernie7 @ May 5 2010, 08:28 AM)
Thanks for compliments bros, but it really isn't that hard to diy this with the kit.
Gotta be v careful when soldering and tuning the LDRs though as they are delicate things that damage with too much heat or voltage.

jazzy939, the diyparadise project uses a different LDR part and it's nowhere near this design in maturity. I read it has problems with stability and channel balance which is obvious from the simple circuit. My LN has a measured balance variation of +-0.6% throughout the whole operating range! Noble pots go up to 10% imbalance, so a friend who measured them told me.

What's the link to the diyparadise active volume circuit?
I wonder how's the Lighter note perform compares to the original LSA ? About finishing my LST+DCB1. A shout out should be interesting...... hmm.gif
TSBernie7
post May 5 2010, 08:33 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(gabanyayaya @ May 5 2010, 07:39 PM)
I wonder how's the Lighter note perform compares to the original LSA ? About finishing my LST+DCB1. A shout out should be interesting...... hmm.gif
LSA = LST = Lightspeed? One person who has both says the LN is clearly better SQ wise on account of its better psu implementation which includes both voltage and current regulation.

I'd be interested to see how the Lightspeed + DCB1 fare against the LN alone. It already beats the B1 handily.

gabanyayaya
post May 5 2010, 08:46 PM

Audiophedophile
1,142 posts

QUOTE(Bernie7 @ May 5 2010, 09:33 PM)
LSA = LST = Lightspeed? One person who has both says the LN is clearly better SQ wise on account of its better psu implementation which includes both voltage and current regulation.

I'd be interested to see how the Lightspeed + DCB1 fare against the LN alone. It already beats the B1 handily.
ultimately it's based on one's taste and perception...it's very subjective when come to this part...
TSBernie7
post May 5 2010, 08:57 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(gabanyayaya @ May 5 2010, 08:46 PM)
ultimately it's based on one's taste and perception...it's very subjective when come to this part...
Yes agree absolutely especially when it comes to 'flavour' type of differences biggrin.gif

To me and a few others who have heard so far, the LN is clearly better than the B1, but then your DCB1 should be better than the B1 without caps in the signal path.

jazzy939
post May 6 2010, 02:36 PM

reel is real
8,183 posts

Funny. As the PSU is just to supply power to the LEDs affecting the intensity of the output light, which does not affect the quality of the variable resistance directly. hmm.gif
A simple DC power supply should suffice without going overboard. biggrin.gif

My LDR attennuator was modified as the LED (I experimented with all kinds of LEDs and colours I can lay my hands on) used does not provide a good linear light source, coupled with a non-linear resistance behaviour of the LDR, thats where the 'system' misbehaves.

I used an incandescent light source with a fully regulated and variable bench power supply to give me a precise control of light intensity, hence precise 'volume control'.
No doubt the background is 'dark' and all the goodies associated with good passive attenuators, but...
As I said earlier, I just don't like the 'flavour' of passive attenuators.. wink.gif
Passive attenuators do not have the 'punch' that I want.

Its a matter of preferences. One man's meat is another man's poison.

To each, his own!

QUOTE(Bernie7 @ May 5 2010, 08:33 PM)

TSBernie7
post May 7 2010, 12:36 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

From the diy forums, the most popular LDR to use now is by Silonex, and it comes with LED built-in, no need to bother abt LED color.

http://www.silonex.com/audiohm/index.html

The Silonex LDR has a sound signature that is different from the simpler types, you really need to listen for yourself. Not all LDRs may sound alike. I don't know any active volume control that does not use mechanical pots or digital control, can you give an example or tell us what you use? Or are you comparing passive preamps with active preamps?

Passives lack 'life' because often there is impedance mismatch between it, the source and the power amp. So people use buffers with it which helps with matching. You may also have an impedance mismatch issue with your LDR project. What are the impedance values of your source, LDR vol control and your power amp?

The LN power boards are dang complicated with voltage and current regs, but they help to 'tame' the non-linear LDRs. If LDRs behave better, yeah a simple psu should suffice. The power boards allow max, min resistances, and slope of profile to be fixed. This gives flexibility for impedance matching between source and power amp. According to the designer, psu plays a big part on the SQ. Anyway, you can try and build the Lightspeed version with Silonex LDRs and a simple psu. Only point-to-point wiring is needed, it's a simple circuit with less flexibility. For only usd50 more I opted to build the LN. No regrets! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ May 6 2010, 02:36 PM)
Funny. As the PSU is just to supply power to the LEDs affecting the intensity of the output light, which does not affect the quality of the variable resistance directly. hmm.gif
A simple DC power supply should suffice without going overboard. biggrin.gif

My LDR attennuator was modified as the LED (I experimented with all kinds of LEDs and colours I can lay my hands on) used does not provide a good linear light source, coupled with a non-linear resistance behaviour of the LDR, thats where the 'system' misbehaves.

I used an incandescent light source with a fully regulated and variable bench power supply to give me a precise control of light intensity, hence precise 'volume control'.
No doubt the background is 'dark' and all the goodies associated with good passive attenuators, but...
As I said earlier, I just don't like the 'flavour' of passive attenuators.. wink.gif
Passive attenuators do not have the 'punch' that I want.

Its a matter of preferences. One man's meat is another man's poison.

To each, his own!
This post has been edited by Bernie7: May 7 2010, 01:28 PM
jazzy939
post May 7 2010, 02:46 PM

reel is real
8,183 posts

I am aware of the Silonex. I wasn't born yesterday you know! laugh.gif
Hey if you like how it sounds , go right ahead. Enjoy the fruits of your labour. It's worth it, in your case.
For a slightly more than USD50 I could build a darn good tube preamp wink.gif

TSBernie7
post May 7 2010, 03:46 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ May 7 2010, 02:46 PM)
I am aware of the Silonex. I wasn't born yesterday you know! laugh.gif
Hey if you like how it sounds , go right ahead. Enjoy the fruits of your labour. It's worth it, in your case.
For a slightly more than USD50 I could build a darn good tube preamp wink.gif
Being aware of it and actually using it are two different things bro. Anyway, good luck with your tube preamp.
Happy listening! smile.gif

Added on June 4, 2010, 2:53 pmFinally, LDR attenuators or passive preamps are getting the recognition they deserve from the main stream media rolleyes.gif

Stereophile reviewed one version, the "Lightspeed Attenuator" in the April issue and awarded it Best of the Best Recommended Components with highest $ rating for value.

Maybe now more audiophiles will come to enjoy this remarkable device! thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by Bernie7: Jun 4 2010, 02:57 PM
kww
post Jul 6 2010, 01:32 PM

Casual
320 posts

Bernie, any more update?
jkleejk
post Jul 6 2010, 07:24 PM

Regular
1,959 posts

he has modded further wait for his update....
TSBernie7
post Jul 6 2010, 10:06 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

Update: I have moved the LDRs right into the monoblocks, so it's now 0cm distance between LDR volume control and monoblock amp module!

The Itch
--------
The LN is a keeper. SQ has gone up several notches since it came, altogether a huge leap in overall sonics as many who use LDRs attest in the Net. It's been the best mod since I removed the analog stages in my DEQ2496's DAC and linked the AK4396's output through decoupling caps to my power amps. The impedances of my DAC, LN and power amps all match, being 1R, 7K and 100K respectively. So there shouldn't be any impedance loss issues.

Now the LDRs work like a volume control pot, so what if I place the LDRs directly at my power amp modules and eliminate the interconnect and any other niggling issues between LN and amp entirely? This would be ideal. But if I do so, my LN cannot be used with other amps. A dilemma! Easily solved by having a second set of LDRs that allows me to switch between the two using the same power controller boards as central console.

The Plan
--------
In addition to building two remote LDR boards one for each monoblock, I have to add one more balance board at the central LN console (seen at the initial post), put in a second balance pot and add RCA sockets to my all-XLR monoblocks. So I'm going back to the dark side of unbalanced, but hey my leads are er short (less than 2m) and I don't detect emi/rf issues. Besides It's twice the work and many times the expense to implement a balanced LN (costly to get 4 matched pairs of LDRs).

The Build
---------
Here's the remote LDR board cut to fit the tight space in my monoblocks. LDR signal lines are soldered to pins inside the Molex connector that plug directly into the UCD signal and control inputs. Why the long LDR legs acting as antennas for rf Class D radiation? Well I just plonked them in without trimming for initial trial. Will cut them for custom fit later. See the voltage-divider in the setup?

user posted image

IC Pin sockets are used so I can simply plug in the LDRs without having to solder them (LDRs are easily killed by heat). More sockets to allow for cap rolling. Here I use 0.1uF Wima caps as snubbers. When my russian K73-16 caps arrive, they'll be plugged in next, followed by my Panasonic FC caps.

My unsuspecting UCD400HGv2 module before it's piggybacked.
user posted image

LDR module added to UCD. Plug and play!
user posted image
Notice the signal lines from the RCA plug into the sockets. Helps in removal of LDR board as I want my monoblocks to easily revert back to XLR days.

Proof of the Pudding is in the Eating
----------------------------------
Put everything together and turned on the set to warm up. No BOOM no sparks, no hiss, nothing, just black silence. So good so far. Went for a shower, came back and put on the first playlist, a selection of unplugged audiophile tracks from China divas. So how does it sound? Zounds!!! Within secs I can tell there's been another leap in sonics from before. Big WOW factor. Instruments/voices stand out even more, bass is fuller, voices acquire more emotion, clarity is way up there, there's more prat and dynamics. Did I say instruments and voices are clearly more pacy and palpable? Finally, the life and dynamics I felt somewhat lacking in my setup is here! Downsides? Haven't detected any yet, the change is not to make the setup sound more analytical, but more musical and true to life.

Or is this due to a change of room acoustics on account of one sofa set being sent out for refurb? Or that solid copper RCA I just put in? Nahhh...can't be all that. Dang, that kick-drum never sounded so good... tongue.gif

Just sharing and hoping bros here will be poisoned, er inspired to give LDRs a try. YMMV, but the betting is once you taste them, you won't live without them in your audio

kww
post Jul 6 2010, 11:14 PM

Casual
320 posts

Nice one thanks for sharing.
jazzy939
post Jul 7 2010, 02:38 AM

reel is real
8,183 posts

Pretty good poison I'd say! thumbup.gif
Thanks for the write up.. wink.gif
TSBernie7
post Jul 9 2010, 09:59 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

Just added my Yaqin SD-CD3 tube buffer into the chain

Music server > AK4396 > Yaqin > LDRs > UCD400HG.

The Yaqin is actually serving as my DAC's analog stage since I bypassed its op-amps. The result is ....very nice. Tube sound in spades without losing bottom end control.

Haven't decided yet whether to give the Yaqin a permanent place in the setup. Need to listen more to hear if the setup sounds better or more accurate with or without the Yaqin's euphonic sound. All I can say is this tube buffer is dang good for the price, and it works a treat with LDR volume control. Like adding caramel topping to creamy ice-cream thumbup.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by Bernie7: Jul 9 2010, 11:02 AM
kww
post Jul 9 2010, 11:40 AM

Casual
320 posts

If it is good why not consider a permanent place in the set-up? I would make sure shortest connection between AK4396>Yaqin>LDR, actually all should be in 1 box.
TSBernie7
post Jul 10 2010, 10:34 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

Too much caramel on ice-cream may tire after a while biggrin.gif

For now, my goal is neutral, highly resolved and natural sound with good PRaT and imaging. The Yaqin's specs says <0.3% distortion and 10-100KHz (-0.1dB) FR which looks great on paper, but it will take time to hear if it veers anywhere from my goal. And I hope to do some tube rolling later to try out Shuguang CV181 in place of the stock 6n8p tubes. I've already tried Sylvania 6SN8WGTB tubes which raised the SQ.

Yes, shortest connection is best, and the LDRs inside the monos make my setup sound better than ever. The Lampizator guy built his tube stage into his DAC (Behringer SRC2496). With digital signals we shouldn't have to worry about connection distance unless it's very long.

When your LN kit arrives, I suggest you leave the option open of planting your LDRs inside your power amp as I did. Try it let us know smile.gif

QUOTE(kww @ Jul 9 2010, 11:40 AM)
If it is good why not consider a permanent place in the set-up? I would make sure shortest connection between AK4396>Yaqin>LDR, actually all should be in 1 box.
This post has been edited by Bernie7: Jul 10 2010, 10:51 AM
pierreye
post Jul 11 2010, 10:08 PM

Regular
1,305 posts

Any DIY sifu can help me to mod my CityPulse DAC to replace the potentiometer with LDR? Please PM me how much for material + workmanship.
jazzy939
post Sep 2 2010, 11:54 AM

reel is real
8,183 posts

Had a chance to test out the lightspeed attenuator last Merdeka day.
Used it to power a T-AMP (TA-2020) and a DIY Discrete power amp.
Speakers used were Gale 3030 and TDL's RTL3..
Also a B1 buffer(Solas) was later added to the setup.

Just to make it interesting, a tube preamp based on diyparadise's 5687 preamp was also used.

To cut the story short, the lightspeed attenuator performance is definitely what users claimed to be.
As much as I like the overall sound(it is excellent), it is just my preferences(with my type of music) that I am more satisfied with an active preamp system.

This post has been edited by jazzy939: Sep 2 2010, 12:07 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSBernie7
post Oct 4 2010, 09:00 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Sep 2 2010, 11:54 AM)
Had a chance to test out the lightspeed attenuator last Merdeka day.
Used it to power a T-AMP (TA-2020) and a DIY Discrete power amp.
Speakers used were Gale 3030 and TDL's RTL3..
Also a B1 buffer(Solas) was later added to the setup.

Just to make it interesting, a tube preamp based on diyparadise's 5687 preamp was also used.

To cut the story short, the lightspeed attenuator performance is definitely what users claimed to be.
As much as I like the overall sound(it is excellent), it is just my preferences(with my type of music) that I am more satisfied with an active preamp system.
Hi bro

Thanks for the feedback smile.gif

Update:

The latest Lighter Note design is now all on one board. Here's one I built recently

user posted image

Plenty of space to put in some Class D amp modules too smile.gif

Dark Horse?
user posted image

Added on October 4, 2010, 7:05 pm
QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Sep 2 2010, 11:54 AM)

Also, bro why not replace your active preamp volume control with the Lightspeed? That way you should have the best of both worlds - the Lightspeed's transparency and your preamp's flavour? It's volume control is likely a bottleneck as it is.

This post has been edited by Bernie7: Oct 4 2010, 07:05 PM
gabanyayaya
post Oct 4 2010, 08:22 PM

Audiophedophile
1,142 posts

Barney

where do you usually do you shopping for these fine stuff....???
jazzy939
post Oct 4 2010, 09:22 PM

reel is real
8,183 posts

Bernie,
That is certainly a great idea! thumbup.gif Yup, the volume pot would be the bottleneck for 'improved' performance!

I will certainly look into it.. now to get gabanyayaya to part with his lightspeed temporarily for me to check the idea out. What say you, bro gabanyayaya? tongue.gif
TSBernie7
post Oct 5 2010, 07:57 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(gabanyayaya @ Oct 4 2010, 08:22 PM)
Barney

where do you usually do you shopping for these fine stuff....???
You mean the full aluminum box with 7mm thick panels? <drool>

The bro that I built this for got it from Shenzhen. biggrin.gif

gabanyayaya
post Oct 5 2010, 08:41 PM

Audiophedophile
1,142 posts

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Oct 4 2010, 10:22 PM)
Bernie,
That is certainly a great idea! thumbup.gif Yup, the volume pot would be the bottleneck for 'improved' performance!

I will certainly look into it.. now to get gabanyayaya to part with his lightspeed temporarily for me to check the idea out. What say you, bro gabanyayaya? tongue.gif
Whatttt.......?????? hmm.gif

QUOTE(Bernie7 @ Oct 5 2010, 08:57 AM)
You mean the full aluminum box with 7mm thick panels? <drool>

The bro that I built this for got it from Shenzhen.  biggrin.gif
No la..the caps, resistors and all those mouth watering parts...... smile.gif
jazzy939
post Oct 5 2010, 09:40 PM

reel is real
8,183 posts

gabanyayaya,
Don't give me that 'whatt....?????" thingy! tongue.gif
I'll response the same the next time you SMS me laugh.gif
TSBernie7
post Oct 6 2010, 09:42 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(gabanyayaya @ Oct 5 2010, 08:41 PM)
No la..the caps, resistors and all those mouth watering parts...... smile.gif
Those are high grade audio components, eg caps by Panasonic FM, Nichicon Muse. Part of the audiophile makeup of the Lighter Note kit.

You can order the complete kit from http://www.buildanamp.com/Lighter-Note-Kit...tm?productId=15

Price is only usd145 incl shipping, imo a terrific bargain for the SQ you're getting.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0239sec    0.61    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th September 2022 - 01:37 PM