Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
110 Pages « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Unifi Official TM UniFi High Speed Broadbrand Thread V5, Still, NO cap 4 all unifi packages 4 now

views

rizvanrp
post Jun 1 2010, 09:59 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
195 posts

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ Jun 1 2010, 12:41 AM)
That is what i'm trying to avoid  rclxub.gif

Whats the point then of using own router. May as well get a switch  for local lan to lan traffic doh.gif But even that doesn't resolve the problem >-<;
@riv

I saw one of your possibilities was to use a vlan capable switch in this setup. Fiber modem > vlan switch >> your own router > your pc. Does this method work ??? I wouldn't mind investing in the hardware  hmm.gif
With the 2ndary account on the dir-615, you can use the dir-615 as a vlan switch ._.

There's 2 ways to use the dir-615 in your 'custom' setup.. one is to use it as a wireless AP/switch. This still uses the dir-615 as the router and doesn't take any load off it. It's also the easiest to setup.

The second way is what I tested and confirmed yesterday, which is using the dir-615 as a vlan switch/bridge. It will perform the VLAN tagging only (putting very little if not no load at all on the dir-615) and enable you to use any router you want with Unifi.

This post has been edited by rizvanrp: Jun 1 2010, 10:01 AM
Lucas
post Jun 1 2010, 10:25 AM

On my way
637 posts

QUOTE(rizvanrp @ Jun 1 2010, 09:59 AM)
With the 2ndary account on the dir-615, you can use the dir-615 as a vlan switch ._.

There's 2 ways to use the dir-615 in your 'custom' setup.. one is to use it as a wireless AP/switch. This still uses the dir-615 as the router and doesn't take any load off it. It's also the easiest to setup.

The second way is what I tested and confirmed yesterday, which is using the dir-615 as a vlan switch/bridge. It will perform the VLAN tagging only (putting very little if not no load at all on the dir-615) and enable you to use any router you want with Unifi.
The second way looks better.
Polytechnic
post Jun 1 2010, 10:28 AM

Getting Started
143 posts

is unifi in jb yet
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Jun 1 2010, 10:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

2nd method sounds more preferable to me. But is it possible to swap out the dir-615 for the vlan switch and use the same 2nd method? or is that not possible :/

I feel like taking a sledge hammer and giving the dir615 a few smacks doh.gif (serious)

I saw behind my house, they just installed that FTTH thingy. Beside the greenbox now has some sort of white box with the letterings ftth biggrin.gif

huzzah laugh.gif .......
user posted image

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Jun 1 2010, 10:52 AM
BBXiong
post Jun 1 2010, 10:55 AM

CFX
6,316 posts

@rizvanrp: u flashed to DD-WRT? that means no IPTV? planning on getting, cos stupid streamyx dunno wtf happen until i capped at 50kb/s for one month now and no technician come fix...but on ur recent discovery on backdoor and stuff..and the potential cap implementation..i am still rather worried..and if using my own router means bye bye IPTV, that's also not an option for me
cannavaro
post Jun 1 2010, 11:03 AM

CATTENACIO
3,001 posts

I just terminated my Streamyx account yesterday. Have not used it for about 2 months. When I subscribed to Unifi, I was told that I can only terminate my Streamyx after the 'free unifi' period is over. (July)

It turns out that this is only applicable if you haven't fulfilled your minimum contract period with Streamyx.

My friend terminated his the same day he got his Unifi.

So yeah, at least I won't get billed for June. biggrin.gif

rizvanrp
post Jun 1 2010, 11:35 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
195 posts

QUOTE(BBXiong @ Jun 1 2010, 10:55 AM)
@rizvanrp: u flashed to DD-WRT? that means no IPTV? planning on getting, cos stupid streamyx dunno wtf happen until i capped at 50kb/s for one month now and no technician come fix...but on ur recent discovery on backdoor and stuff..and the potential cap implementation..i am still rather worried..and if using my own router means bye bye IPTV, that's also not an option for me
The 2nd method I mentioned uses stock TM firmware (with the backdoor account). That 2nd admin account lets you access the VLAN settings and configure your dir-615 stock firmware as a VLAN switch. You can use your own router + have IPTV.

This post has been edited by rizvanrp: Jun 1 2010, 11:39 AM
BBXiong
post Jun 1 2010, 11:59 AM

CFX
6,316 posts

means the dir-615 just act as a middleman from the fibre modem unit to my router, and my router is the one doing all the network address masking and data transmit work?
ionrage
post Jun 1 2010, 10:30 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

Hope the guide from rizvanrp is up soon. Really sucks using the DIR-615 instead of my WNDR3700. What a crappy decision!
rizvanrp
post Jun 1 2010, 11:24 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
195 posts

QUOTE(BBXiong @ Jun 1 2010, 11:59 AM)
means the dir-615 just act as a middleman from the fibre modem unit to my router, and my router is the one doing all the network address masking and data transmit work?
Yesh.
QUOTE(ionrage @ Jun 1 2010, 10:30 PM)
Hope the guide from rizvanrp is up soon. Really sucks using the DIR-615 instead of my WNDR3700. What a crappy decision!
Soon, I just finished writing two additional guides which are needed for setting the DIR-615 into bridge mode. Free tomorrow, so it will most likely be up by then biggrin.gif
BBXiong
post Jun 1 2010, 11:56 PM

CFX
6,316 posts

oh...wonderful....so with this one fixed i guess unifi is cool to use eh?
feel like changing if they still don fox my streamyx issue by this week, or as soon as my dad gets a HDTV
franklooi96
post Jun 2 2010, 02:35 AM

b**ch
575 posts

Nowadays my 5 mbps package can only be within the normal speed in Malaysia.

International downloads hardly go over 100 kB/s. Most probably peak hours, I will try the same server next morning to see any differ between the timeline.
rogue
post Jun 2 2010, 03:30 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

Hey riz, I've also manage to find out the 'hidden' user. You can use the same user to ssh into the router. It's running Linux alright and yeah..max connection was set to 4096. I had to reset the router as I forgot what pass I set previously. By default on mine, the 3 remote management access was unticked. So lucky me..
palmjack
post Jun 2 2010, 07:00 AM

Getting Started
84 posts

Any reason why the firewall is disabled by default?
jx13
post Jun 2 2010, 11:23 AM

0 posts

hi riz, i'm noob (1st posting) interested in unifi signup, been reading past posts to catch up.

moogle (hi!) asked abt your earlier smart switch suggestion, wouldn;t that be cleaner in case the 2ndary (and unofficial) acct gets bumped for whatever reason since vlan tagging is the only (?) issue here ? yes addit $$ needed for switch but don;t need to touch dlink/backdoor for most ordinary users like me

fiberhome-> smart sw -> generic router -> sw (or another smart sw ?)

unless i am missing something u covered in a post earlier then ok my bad (pls enlighten ?). or too simplistic... ? tks

rizvanrp
post Jun 2 2010, 11:36 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
195 posts

QUOTE(rogue @ Jun 2 2010, 03:30 AM)
Hey riz, I've also manage to find out the 'hidden' user. You can use the same user to ssh into the router. It's running Linux alright and yeah..max connection was set to 4096. I had to reset the router as I forgot what pass I set previously. By default on mine, the 3 remote management access was unticked. So lucky me..
Yeah I know, conntrack_max at 4096 and http webserver @ 15 sessions max.. still performs rather badly lol.. like I said initially, the SSHd daemon cannot be shut off from the GUI as far as I can tell so its still a security risk.. it's always running in the background and accessible from LAN. The SSHd option in the management page when enabled just allows WAN access on port 22.

This post has been edited by rizvanrp: Jun 2 2010, 11:37 AM
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Jun 2 2010, 11:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

QUOTE(jx13 @ Jun 2 2010, 11:23 AM)
hi riz, i'm noob (1st posting) interested in unifi signup, been reading past posts to catch up. 

moogle (hi!) asked abt your earlier smart switch suggestion, wouldn;t that be cleaner in case the 2ndary (and unofficial) acct gets bumped for whatever reason since vlan tagging is the only (?) issue here ?  yes addit $$ needed for switch but don;t need to touch dlink/backdoor for most ordinary users like me

fiberhome-> smart sw -> generic router -> sw (or another smart sw ?)

unless i am missing something u covered in a post earlier then ok my bad (pls enlighten ?). or too simplistic... ? tks
Hi jx13.

I'm not an IT expert. I'm quite av average pc user smile.gif

I was actually reffering to Riv's previous comment in the Unifi V4 thread where he mentioned 2 interesting possibilities.

1. Use a router like RB450G (has router os)

2. Use a smart switch which had vlan support, and pair that to any router you want. Fiberhome > Vlan switch (e.g. GS105E ) > any router (vlan and dd-wrt support not required)

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry33092128

I think rizvanrp is still compiling his guide, so just waiting to see what he has to say about that nod.gif

ps: to me it sounds like the 2nd method would be the best for me. the 1st method probably is superior in terms of hardware/software but harder to configure for newbies. A 3rd alternative would be a atom mini-itx pc with 2 rj45 ethernet ports installed with BSD + pfsense which may be even better then the RB450G, but maybe just as technical to setup for an average user like me :/

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Jun 2 2010, 11:50 AM
guardioo
post Jun 2 2010, 12:22 PM

Casual
354 posts

Actually i using vlan tagging from asus router.

it does work successfully for vlan tagging to the switch on the router itself.

i using WL500Gp V2 and rt-n16 for vlan tagging.

vlan tagging is depends on the chipset u using.

Linksys WRT300N do support vlan tagging too, if you manage to find it, you should able to done it.

Asus WL500GP v2 The BCM5354 supports a WAN connection via its configurable media interfaces. The per-port programmable four-level priority queues enable QoS (IEEE 802.1p) for guaranteed bandwidth applications, DiffServ/TOS, and L2/L3 IGMP snooping. The IEEE 802.1Q VLAN allows flexible implementation of VLAN grouping and WAN port segregation.

This post has been edited by guardioo: Jun 2 2010, 12:59 PM
jx13
post Jun 2 2010, 12:43 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ Jun 2 2010, 11:44 AM)
Hi jx13.

I'm not an IT expert. I'm quite av average pc user  smile.gif

I was actually reffering to Riv's previous comment in the Unifi V4 thread where he mentioned 2 interesting possibilities.

1. Use a router like RB450G (has router os)

2. Use a smart switch which had vlan support, and pair that to any router you want. Fiberhome > Vlan switch (e.g. GS105E ) > any router (vlan and dd-wrt support not required)

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry33092128
I think rizvanrp is still compiling his guide, so just waiting to see what he has to say about that  nod.gif
ps: to me it sounds like the 2nd method would be the best for me. the 1st method probably is superior in terms of hardware/software but harder to configure for newbies. A 3rd alternative would be a atom mini-itx pc with 2 rj45 ethernet ports installed with BSD + pfsense which may be even better then the RB450G, but maybe just as technical to setup for an average user like me :/
hey moogle, i'm learning too - actually thanks to you, riz and everyone here i;ve managed to learn a bit more about unifi, vlans, networking.. and i really appreciate everyone;s comments and hope to contribute back to the forum.

yes i was following riz's thread on gs105e (can u get it locally?). it seemed ok but maybe i don;t know enuf that's why i asked to see if he or anyone had tested it. thot it was a great idea if it can separate the streams cos my tinkering with the router shouldn;t accidentally kill the iptv if anyone is watching it at home (that's assuming a separate stream goes from switch to STB directly and another stream to the router, no?). basic router changes i can probably get by trial and error but configuring router os, daemons and double nat... etc are seriously out of my league

Added on June 2, 2010, 12:51 pm
QUOTE(guardioo @ Jun 2 2010, 12:22 PM)
Actually i using vlan tagging from asus router.

it does work successfully for vlan tagging to the switch on the router itself.

i using rt-n16 for vlan tagging.

vlan tagging is depends on the chipset u using.

Linksys WRT300N do support vlan tagging too, if you manage to find it, you should able to done it.
guardioo, oh thanks for that good to know, i have an older dlink 625 router currently with no vlan capability with streamyx that;s why i was hoping for something/switch to manage the vlan tags for me so that i can reuse it.

i assume then that the set top box connects to the router directly, yes ?

This post has been edited by jx13: Jun 2 2010, 12:51 PM
rizvanrp
post Jun 2 2010, 01:05 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
195 posts

First method of the custom router guide is up :

http://unifi.athena.my/ or http://athena.my/unifi ..

Check the 'Using Custom Routers' guide and the other guides too smile.gif

---

Just tested the first method using a fresh reset and it works fine.. I'll upload method 2 later which is the manual configuration process. You shouldn't need to do that unless you're not on firmware 7.05.

BTW, just so you know I 'tested' this setup just by plugging my Win 7 netbook directly into the DIR-615 and making a direct Unifi connection through it (Windows PPPoE dialer) without any form of VLAN tagging enabled.. so I assume it will work for your own routers too smile.gif I don't have an extra router to test it out with but since it does remove the need for VLAN 500 tagging, it should work (so please help me test it out ! tongue.gif ) Did not test IPTV but I didn't touch the IPTV settings at all so it should still work fine.

This post has been edited by rizvanrp: Jun 2 2010, 01:25 PM

110 Pages « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0485sec    0.49    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:41 PM