Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
110 Pages « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Unifi Official TM UniFi High Speed Broadbrand Thread V5, Still, NO cap 4 all unifi packages 4 now

views

knuxed
post May 31 2010, 01:00 PM

Regular
1,884 posts

QUOTE(rizvanrp @ May 31 2010, 12:48 PM)
There is but most of you wont opt for it, lol. Best to just use it as a VLAN bridge, you wont get a performance hit at all. Think of it as a dsl splitter or something smile.gif
how bot do you go ahead with that method?Even with the settings,it still doesnt want to connect
rizvanrp
post May 31 2010, 01:14 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
195 posts

QUOTE(knuxed @ May 31 2010, 01:00 PM)
how bot do you go ahead with that method?Even with the settings,it still doesnt want to connect
Give me a day or two, I just need to confirm the method of installation works smile.gif Earlier, I made 1 small mistake and had to reset the whole router.. figuring out the best configuration method for everyone. I'm a little confused at the moment, haven't slept today lol
Neptern
post May 31 2010, 01:16 PM

Casual
477 posts

I thought the dir-615 can break easily from overheating as mentioned in previous posts?
knuxed
post May 31 2010, 01:25 PM

Regular
1,884 posts

QUOTE(rizvanrp @ May 31 2010, 01:14 PM)
Give me a day or two, I just need to confirm the method of installation works smile.gif Earlier, I made 1 small mistake and had to reset the whole router.. figuring out the best configuration method for everyone. I'm a little confused at the moment, haven't slept today lol
no worries,thanks for your help.
rizvanrp
post May 31 2010, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
195 posts

QUOTE(Neptern @ May 31 2010, 01:16 PM)
I thought the dir-615 can break easily from overheating as mentioned in previous posts?
At least they give a replacement sad.gif And you need it for IPTV unless you want to invest a lot of money in better hardware, I think its a cost effective and simple solution for most people.. they just want to use their own routers which have better wifi + stability than the dir-615 in routing mode.
skincladalien
post May 31 2010, 01:26 PM

Densha Otaku
1,913 posts

but it only have 1 year warranty. for cost measures i think its better to replace it entirely
Neptern
post May 31 2010, 02:43 PM

Casual
477 posts

IMHO better to ditch it but need hefty initial investment on new router... sad.gif
yvonnesoo
post May 31 2010, 02:47 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

btw, it's gd to change from my existing 1mb streamyx to unifi? iszit good n performance great? after reading alot of comment on the original modem they provided actually lead to privacy issue n etc.. sorry i'm kinda noob on this. dunno bout networking stuffs... so it's really a big issue if i use unifi wif tm provided hardware? such as connection speed n etc??

currently i'm using my own router modem on streamyx..

This post has been edited by yvonnesoo: May 31 2010, 02:48 PM
palmjack
post May 31 2010, 03:49 PM

Getting Started
84 posts

Is there a way to monitor bandwidth usage at the router level for the DIR-615? The bandwidth monitor software would measure traffic for inidividual PCs connected to the network only IIANM.
rogue
post May 31 2010, 04:26 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(yvonnesoo @ May 31 2010, 02:47 PM)
btw, it's gd to change from my existing 1mb streamyx to unifi? iszit good n performance great? after reading alot of comment on the original modem they provided actually lead to privacy issue n etc.. sorry i'm kinda noob on this. dunno bout networking stuffs... so it's really a big issue if i use unifi wif tm provided hardware? such as connection speed n etc??

currently i'm using my own router modem on streamyx..
It would definitely benefit you if you are a heavy downloader/uploader. It's an acceptable service for now. Most of the sites I go to are fast when loading. This has to do alot with what DNS servers you use as well not just your overall download speed. I avoid using TM's DNS servers, their sometimes slow and unreliable(they don't resolve certain hosts for me).

For the router, if your concern abt privacy, you could get a cheap replacement that supports DD-WRT. I'm currently using DIR-615 H/W rev. C2 with DD-WRT, which is an N router, 4-port dual antenna with Atheros chipset for wireless. This router only cost RM136 at DigitalMall(Highest floor). Supports max connections of 32768 and I currently have 3 PC + 1 Laptop downloading torrents at any given time. So far I'd say this router is working well for me. I'm on VIP5 which is good enough for me(for now)

This post has been edited by rogue: May 31 2010, 04:31 PM
Kclee2002
post May 31 2010, 04:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,134 posts

Gah, TM have yet to give me access to my 10gb web hosting. Called their service center and they redirected me to another one which in the end redirected me back to the first place...
yvonnesoo
post May 31 2010, 05:07 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(rogue @ May 31 2010, 04:26 PM)
It would definitely benefit you if you are a heavy downloader/uploader. It's an acceptable service for now. Most of the sites I go to are fast when loading. This has to do alot with what DNS servers you use as well not just your overall download speed. I avoid using TM's DNS servers, their sometimes slow and unreliable(they don't resolve certain hosts for me).

For the router, if your concern abt privacy, you could get a cheap replacement that supports DD-WRT. I'm currently using DIR-615 H/W rev. C2 with DD-WRT, which is an N router, 4-port dual antenna with Atheros chipset for wireless. This router only cost RM136 at DigitalMall(Highest floor). Supports max connections of 32768 and I currently have 3 PC + 1 Laptop downloading torrents at any given time. So far I'd say this router is working well for me. I'm on VIP5 which is good enough for me(for now)
ya.. i use quite alot of dl n updl.. xpecially on bt, youtube, etc..

is tat mean i can't use back my old modem?? currently i'm using belkin router wireless modem wif 4 port.. i'm sorry kinda noob here.. wat is DD-WRT for? and by getting the replacement for the tm original modem, will it cause the speed to downgrade? how bout the setting? i haf to reset myself at the beginning?
rogue
post May 31 2010, 06:47 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(yvonnesoo @ May 31 2010, 05:07 PM)
ya.. i use quite alot of dl n updl.. xpecially on bt, youtube, etc..

is tat mean i can't use back my old modem?? currently i'm using belkin router wireless modem wif 4 port.. i'm sorry kinda noob here.. wat is DD-WRT for? and by getting the replacement for the tm original modem, will it cause the speed to downgrade? how bout the setting? i haf to reset myself at the beginning?
If you want to use your Belkin to replace TM DIR-615, your router must support VLAN tagging. Look for that option in your router. But I doubt your router has this feature. For dd-wrt, check it out at www.dd-wrt.com. It's basically Linux-base firmware for consumer routers.

People use their own router because they can have more control over it. Currently TM DIR-615 is lock down version(limited). You can still use TM's router, it will not effect your speed not unless you have 3-4 ppl torrenting at the same time, this router cannot tahan.

If you want to find out more about dd-wrt + UniFi, search through this thread and you will find plenty of info on this smile.gif
exentric_nova
post May 31 2010, 09:19 PM

I Am Serious
1,702 posts

Just saw the contractors infront of my taman just now. living in kajang near bukit dukong.

A question though, I think I read in previous posts that even though they already finished cable laying and all, they're not going to provide the service until it is announced, is that true?
leyley
post May 31 2010, 09:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

duno when will arrived in bukit esplaned
mypetridish
post May 31 2010, 11:47 PM

Regular
1,313 posts

QUOTE(rizvanrp @ May 31 2010, 01:25 AM)
At least they give a replacement sad.gif And you need it for IPTV unless you want to invest a lot of money in better hardware, I think its a cost effective and simple solution for most people.. they just want to use their own routers which have better wifi + stability than the dir-615 in routing mode.
can i connect a better router to the Dir 615 so that my own router acts as a wireless switch? if I P2P which will be stressed? the Dir615 or my router?
rizvanrp
post Jun 1 2010, 12:28 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
195 posts

QUOTE(mypetridish @ May 31 2010, 11:47 PM)
can i connect a better router to the Dir 615 so that my own router acts as a wireless switch? if I P2P which will be stressed? the Dir615 or my router?
If you just use the secondary router as a wireless switch/AP, the stress will still be on the DIR-615 as it's performing the network address translation and handling the PPPoE connection.
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Jun 1 2010, 12:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

QUOTE(rizvanrp @ Jun 1 2010, 12:28 AM)
If you just use the secondary router as a wireless switch/AP, the stress will still be on the DIR-615 as it's performing the network address translation and handling the PPPoE connection.
That is what i'm trying to avoid rclxub.gif

Whats the point then of using own router. May as well get a switch for local lan to lan traffic doh.gif But even that doesn't resolve the problem >-<;

@riv

I saw one of your possibilities was to use a vlan capable switch in this setup. Fiber modem > vlan switch >> your own router > your pc. Does this method work ??? I wouldn't mind investing in the hardware hmm.gif

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanw...riefly-reviewed

Here biggrin.gif  I was looking at LYN pricelists and I agree its kinda of hard to find a gigabit wireless N router with full dd-wrt support. As you can see, the GS105E supports VLAN tagging and port mirroring. So the setup would be.. Fiberhome modem -> GS105E (Port 1). Then you set up VLAN ID 500 on port 2 and VLAN ID 600 on port 3. Port 2 will then be able to connect into *any* Wireless router with a WAN/Internet port that supports PPPoE connections. Port 3 would hook up into the STB for IPTV access.

This is what I'm guessing should work based on my tests. The Fiberhome modem basically sends 2 VLANs over the same Cat5 cable so your hardware has to assign each VLAN to a different port in order to use the services.

About the forum thread, what the guy means is basically dd-wrt has no software support for VLANs on gigabit switches. Which is weird because tweiyang11 is using the WRT310N.. maybe the GUI says it supports VLANs but it doesn't actually work? Anyway.. if you dont want to risk flashing your router, you will need a piece of hardware to handle the VLAN tagging and I think the GS105E switch is capable of doing that @ the cost of 60USD. Gonna pick one up soon and test it out

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Jun 1 2010, 01:35 AM
chaos32
post Jun 1 2010, 12:45 AM

Casual
485 posts

I am currently bridging my DIR-615 using a Linksys WRT54GL due to range issues. Its not hard to do and works pretty well. Another solution for those having issues with range is to get a card/USB receiver with higher dBi. I took that route too (kiasu hehe). Works great.

This post has been edited by chaos32: Jun 1 2010, 12:48 AM
90Boyz
post Jun 1 2010, 09:21 AM

UTMB !!
3,720 posts

Saw TM build this "grave" thingy up near my house there ...
user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by 90Boyz: Jun 1 2010, 09:26 AM

110 Pages « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0464sec    0.54    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:25 AM