Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Garmin vs Papago

views

stimix
post Apr 28 2010, 07:14 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

In Malaysia, the question is not really on the navigation softwares but the maps details, no of POIs & ability to search POIs..

Well since papago & Garmin are the two platforms used by the free mapping communities, both also good dy...

There are supporter for both too...

Only those softwares that do not have the support from the free mapping communities are those not selling well here..

& some that I have seen actually look nicer than Garmin/papago 9Such as Igo) but due to lack of detail maps..a good software is also useless..another example..Nokia ovimaps..good softaware but no support from those free mapping communities
stimix
post Apr 29 2010, 12:55 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Huh when garmin maps is black? what version of malfreemaps are you using? wth all the colorfull polygon u still see black background?
stimix
post Apr 29 2010, 07:22 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Probably u swith on at nite so some background really black because empty polygon biggrin.gif Night mode mah..otherwise something wrong wth your set liao
QUOTE(godofsquirrel @ Apr 29 2010, 01:16 AM)
i using the latest one wor..background is black..why ah?..
stimix
post Jul 3 2011, 10:13 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

ipor only papago lor for M'sian maps. Garmin no longer supporting any platform except their collaboration wth ASUS. The last verison running on Symbian S60V3 still having 2 bugs in Symbian S60V5 & Symbian ^3 & even anna
QUOTE(BboyDora @ Jul 3 2011, 03:21 PM)
Actually last time I used before phone + GPS... but not so responsive ( end up miss some turning and get lost). this is the reason I wish to get a GPS stand alone.

I`m currently using iphone 4 also but dunno which apps is good. any recommendation?
stimix
post Jul 5 2011, 04:30 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Don't only look for those Navigator but lack in Maps update-lah.

Some maps might hv better graphic & etc but when comes to POIs & new roads & etc..You can't even find inside the maps.

Other than Garmin & Papago which having weekly & Monthly updates respectively from malfreemaps or malsingmaps (For Garmin wth Junction view), Other Navigators are really pain in the ass...Even Ovimaps..superior interm of UI & etc but lack in road & POIs..

Even the SKVE and LEKAS highways already in malfreemaps since last year still not updated in the latest Ovimaps, google maps & etc

and BTW, for the latest LATAR expressway, even before opening, malfreemaps already updated the maps!
stimix
post Jul 5 2011, 04:49 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Yes pls stick for maps updates. Anyway, if you dun update yours also useless haha

For latest papago android maps (Dated 1/6/11) - (I think Jul should be out within this dfew days...
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11008

Just follow screen instruction after DL but remember to choose papago X5 otherwise it will not work. Thereafter just copy the whole 31 files to your SD card under NaviSea>Maps>Malaysia folder smile.gif
QUOTE(Farlz_89 @ Jul 5 2011, 04:44 PM)
OIC..if come like that better im stick with papago nod.gif
stimix
post Jul 5 2011, 09:24 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

same maps lah but outdated. MFM=malfreemaps. the link I given is direct from the original mapper themselve.

Anyway, the review on Sygic maps also featured in MFM site here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1945731

Really impressive & as others mentioned much better UI & graphic than papago/Garmin..too bad as those users said- lack of maps updates & detail maps for Malaysia
stimix
post Jul 6 2011, 03:05 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Your arguement reminded me of another guy in Nokia N8 thread that mati-mati wanna protect the superiority of Ovimaps compare to Garmin smile.gif ..So I don;t a substative testing comparing the routing & also the detail of Garmin-Malfreemaps compare wth Ovimaps.

He even highlight the superiority of ovimaps routing but from my testing- Ovimaps routing is really bullshit biggrin.gif ..Well, the Highways that I mentioned earlier that were completed since early 2010..Till Today already >1.5 yrs..stilll not updated yet in ovimaps..well, probably is sygic/aura & googlemaps too.

An updated maps is way more important & so do the routing, POIs search & etc...I already in the GPS since early stage of GPS started in Malaysia...I was using the 1st batch of available maps by malsingmaps and that time so dissapointed that the whole of Puchong, only about 50% coverage. That's started my contribution and learning to contribute to the communities...Tnx god, by now, roads surrounding Puchong is updated in Garmin/papago malfreemaps weeks or even months before residents or highway completed smile.gif

BTW, comparing to those maps by sygic/Aura, they are just commercial based maps & not as detail & updated as those community based mapps....Give yopu an example...This area in Puchong Bdr Puteri, the new shop houses & also the new Section 6 has just been completed and the road in the shoplots only half tarmac-ted when I mapped it (Via MTB) on Sunday...Well, It will be updated./publish next Monday...just check how updated is malfreemaps... rclxms.gif

http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=154573#p154573

user posted image
QUOTE(stormlcc @ Jul 6 2011, 09:38 AM)
well it's better than papago that won't work on devices with low gps receiving like the desire HD.  it takes forever to lock gps using papago, it takes about 5 seconds for aura.  I'll take the long route any day because I'll actually REACH MY DESTINATION before the gps locks on papago, thank you

plus, this is malaysia, they r ALWAYS blocking, fixing, changing roads, what's the point of updating the map when it will be outdated every week or so.  What we need is an accurate navi that will get us out of a fix when we needed it the most, fast response to route changing and reliable.  and aura has the most POIs (and very update too), this is what u needed most when u go to a place u don't know anything about.  If u travel a lot u will agree with me on this
stimix
post Jul 6 2011, 03:42 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

NVM, atleast i state my point on the community mappings in Malaysia and how these 2 malsingmaps & malfreemaps started way back in 2003 by a Singaporean & a m'sian enthuthiasts.

Without them, there will be no detail commercial maps as per Today. I respect your preference on Aura and we hope either malsingmaps & maolfreemaps will expand by colloborating with them too so that we can have malfreemaps installed in sygic/aura for better navi IU. & more hardware that support these updated maps.

But for you telling others that updated maps is not important really hurt the feeliong of those spending their weekend tracking miles & miles and having wife nagging inside the car for following us tracking new roads...

They are the pioneer that resulted in the GPS blooming in malaysia since recentr years..and you should thank the communities for the most updated maps in M'sia. For your info, I have evidence of those commercial maps copying malsingmaps & malfreemaps data and build they maps..damn cheating haha

Even some of the time bomb placed inside malsingmaps/malfreemaps been copied by Googlemaps!! I was so proud when googlemaps having my tracklogs & road nemed after my name years ago haha..Well, years ago b4 goopglemaps deleted their copied road, you can find "Lorong stimix" in googlemaps haha
stimix
post Jul 6 2011, 11:49 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Ehhh..Why goto those file sharing to Dl when you can get directly free from the original source biggrin.gif

BTW, malfreemaps has just u[pdated the July version of papago:

http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f...7cefc2c8fbff6f6
QUOTE(kwaikiong @ Jul 6 2011, 06:48 PM)
i like to use papago. but i have the garmin new map july 2011. http://www.easy-share.com/1916505761/MFM-Garmin-110704.exe
stimix
post Jul 7 2011, 12:22 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Opsss...haha given the wrong link..actually it's in MFM not LYN haha

Here..Have to agree that the IU & graphic really cool..but as those reviewed said- M'sia maps still not as updated ..Hope malfreemaps will be able to provide maps for Sygic... rclxms.gif
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f...990&hilit=sygic
QUOTE(Dannyl @ Jul 7 2011, 10:25 AM)
Link broken, bro.  Care to repost?  Wanna try Sygic.

Added on July 7, 2011, 12:24 pmBro, be more positive.. give me the cooridnate & I show you...You should give malfreemaps a try smile.gif All the hard working ppl going MTB, $WD entering those dirt tracks..well not all but keep on expanding smile.gif

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jul 7 2011, 10:33 AM)
If my map don't show anything, then I will my switch my OVI Maps to "Walk" mode and use the compass to show me the direction in a straight line & distance to final destination. And believe me, some of the places I go, I doubt even Malfree map got map because there are no physical road in the 1st place, only dirt track.
This post has been edited by stimix: Jul 7 2011, 12:24 PM
stimix
post Jul 7 2011, 01:03 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Deep inside Mukah jungle & Sarikei in Sarawak..OK no lor haha..Not many active GPS trackers in Sarawak.. I dun think ovimaps also having any maps inside these areas biggrin.gif

What I mean are those famous MTB or 4WD jungle tracks in Pen Malaysia..mostly inside malfreemaps dy..Even you can see tracks to lotsa famous summit of mountain in Pen Malaysia side. but not navigeable via satelite..bcos detached from the main road on purpose...Otherwise..very misleading smile.gif
QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jul 7 2011, 12:42 PM)
2.841915, 112.150223
2.130096, 111.342584 Wharf
stimix
post Jul 7 2011, 03:17 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Ovimaps is only superior when you need free oversea maps. but when comes to malaysia, really cacat lor. Lotsa routing error & not as updated maps & POI compare to Garmin/papago -malfreemaps.

stimix
post Jul 7 2011, 03:43 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

This one any GPS navigator also can liao lor..just key in the coordinate & just follow the way there wth a compass biggrin.gif .

Bro, you really need to try out other navigator lor...dun only stick to only one, there are pros & cons on others too..Now I'm really tempted on Sygic liao haha drool.gif Just hope malfreemaps in future able to work wth them notworthy.gif
Attached Image Attached Image
QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jul 7 2011, 03:21 PM)
It only work if you already know the coordinates.
This post has been edited by stimix: Jul 7 2011, 03:43 PM
stimix
post Jul 7 2011, 04:02 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

For me UI also nice but the most important thing is the accuracy or routing and also the most updated maps.
Any navigator also can bring you fom point A to B. There is no deny on it but if one navigator routed you 30KM xtra from another which is much more accurate or even suggested weird routing ..That's no good dy..
I tested so many times on Ovimaps & Garmin & ovimaps till Today really lousy. Well, anyway, I still like Ovimaps UI compare to Garmin haha smile.gif ..The routing & also Ovimaps reluctant to corporate wth malfreemaps also resulted wth them having their own lousy maps supplier wth outdated maps...

Wth the none inclusion of lotsa new Highways in Klang Valley, imagine going from the Southern part of Kalng Valley via Kesa Highway to Federal highway.., Ovimaps willo route you an extra 30km bypassing the new LIKAS highway connecting Southern Shah Alam to Northern Shah Alam?

Or imagine in another few more weeks, ppl who use the updated papago/Garmin malfreemaps able to route from Rawang to Ijok/ Kuala Selangor using the LATAR expressway while Ovimaps/Sygic or any commercial maps will route your to NKVE/ Sg Buloh or to Meru Sekinchan area be goping to Kuala Selangor..That will be very far way lor...Yeah you still reach your destination but relying on really outdated routing smile.gif

FYI, The LIKAS & SKVE highway already updated since last year but till Today not yet in Ovimaps & Googlemaps..Presumably not in also in any commercial maps Today smile.gif

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jul 7 2011, 03:51 PM)
I actually started off with Nokia Maps and Garmin. But I like the UI of Maps better and stick with that. Beside, after I reset the phone, the Garmin had become inoperable so never bother since. For me, as long as it can get me from A to B, it's fine with me.
This post has been edited by stimix: Jul 7 2011, 04:25 PM
stimix
post Jul 7 2011, 04:35 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Just to highlight another achievement on latest malfreemaps issued 3 days ago- LATAR expressway - Completely covered even before opening smile.gif

Attached Image

Just check the progress of MFM champion track contributor unker "Tuah" spending his few precious weekend since Early June to track & cover this highway & resulted in the most latest updated maps available in Malaysia notworthy.gif rclxms.gif

http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11024

Those ppl using this latest maps and coming from near Rawang will be the 1st be able to route using this latest maps smile.gif
stimix
post Jul 7 2011, 06:54 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Garmin no longer support any platform except their own Asus-Garmin dy..Currently Only Symbian & Windows mobile phone able to install this however Nokia S60 & S^3 having 2 bugs still yet to fix 7 no longer any support to rectify the bugs. However still can be used.

You can't buy this Garmin MXT anymore & hv to look for unker google help liao..or..
stimix
post Jul 8 2011, 11:22 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Pls dun give misleading info-lah.. There is no Garmin for iphone. Iphone having few GPS navigators and one of them is papago that able to run on the free malfreemaps.

BTW, if it's Garmin (esp those running on Symbian or Winmo platform, there's maps available either malfreemaps or malsingmaps. So do not confuse ppl saying there is no free M'sia maps for Garmin smile.gif
QUOTE(akash3656 @ Jul 8 2011, 12:56 PM)
There is Garmin... But must see whether got map or not for Malaysia.... And u cant manually update the map..... Cos its an iPhone
stimix
post Jul 12 2011, 12:01 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

For sure Garmin having lack of world maps-lah.. Anyway, you can Dl, whole Indonesia maps from nagigasi.net, Phillipines & etc if you google. Those are free maps similar to malsingmaps & malfreemaps. There are others as well such as New Zealand & else where..Otherwise there is a database on other countries via http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php (Well not so detail). Anyway, Agreed that ovimaps is superior on overall world maps other than Malaysia, Thailand & indonesia haha.. biggrin.gif

On your comparison, not a suprise..I found lotsa OLDER roads not in malfreemaps too and lotsa backlanes, sidelanes & factory roads on ovimaps but not in malfreemaps.. reason been..those roads probably not useable anymore, no one track those roads, guarded by guards, & lotsa obstacles that trackers can't enter... smile.gif teleatlas, the maps supplier for Ovimaps probably traced those roads from Googlemaps/google earth & draw...Well lotsa errors bcos googlemaps having alliggnment error & certain roads already no longer there but they still traced it. smile.gif

Malfreemaps based on contribution & lotsa new areas..are awaiting tracker/mappers to tracks & they do have lotsa volunteers there...inc me haha biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jul 9 2011, 06:38 AM)
Can you get free maps of other countries that Garmin can read? Are there things like Australiafreemaps or Chinafreemaps made by community that's free likeMalfreemaps?

Added on July 9, 2011, 1:19 pm

I just checked with Garmin website. Seems like they have one for Blackberry. Buying software is an one-off thing but the maps are expensive costing USD150 per region.

Added on July 10, 2011, 8:09 pm

I compared Garmin with OVI and found:

2. There is an 20+ years old housing estate bitumen road and surprise surprise, OVI shows the road but latest Malfreemap say no road. Beside that one surprise I encountered, I find Malfreemaps generally having more road coverage.

stimix
post Jul 12 2011, 07:24 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Can be traceb but not accurate lor bcos of the alignment. Well depending on mapper wehther free to draw or not. contributed tracks is more valued compare to google maps trace. & certain backlanes & factories roads actually not really useful & thus excluded (Not all). Overall, on latest new roads- & whole urban areas in Malaysia - malfreemaps superior but on very old, factory road, backlanes - Ovimaps.

Voice instruction- Yes ovimaps better but Routing error is terrible in ovimaps lor & the fact or the major new highways & etc not in the maps..

Yeah those community built roads in rural areas should be included...BTW, to contribute using your nokia, try race chrono or sport tracker on how to record GPS track...thereafter the recorded track can be contribute. also you can DL free the Garmin - Mapsource to replay your recorded track and view it or even playback on google maps/ google earth
QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jul 12 2011, 06:29 AM)
Recently I found more road missing (or incomplete meaning it is supposed to join up to a major road but it just stop halfway for no apparent reason) in Malfreemaps but are in OVI maps and these roads are still in active use by the general public and in constant repair by the local authorities. If indeed OVI uses Google maps to draw those road, why can't Malfreemaps?

As for voice instruction, I am beginning to conclude OVI may indeed be superior.

As for contribution, I would like to but don't know how. Seen some instruction but too technical for newbies like me. I sure would like to fix those missing roads. And some of those mainly community build rural non-bitumen road I frequented that is not on any map.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.52    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:52 PM