Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Executive and Non-Executive job positions, What are the differences between them?

views

TStonYe
post Apr 22 2010, 01:09 AM, updated 14y ago

Game Designer
1,455 posts

As I know, executives are the employees who could become a manager or director in the future whereas non-executive employees cannot at all. I know people who were event executives for years and they are still in the same role. What is a non-executive role? The obvious ones are clerks. What about admins and secretary? Or a Media Analyst in an entertainment media company?

Could anyone give more explanation and examples of roles to differentiate them?
underpressure
post Apr 22 2010, 01:19 AM

Casual
378 posts

This is a really subjective subject. Different companies have different policy.
But general rule of thumb is executive represent management, non-executive represent not critical decision making therefore is unable to represent the firm.

(There is a legal definition to it)

But a summary, executive gets better perk/salary/benefit then a non executive. Just because you're a non executive, doesnt mean you can't move up. There are plenty of stories where people join as a clerk and work their went up to directors.
seantang
post Apr 22 2010, 01:38 AM

With Adult Supervision Only
6,624 posts

There's no hard & fast definition of executives and non-executives in the context that you're thinking of. It's a title that is overused... like analyst. They might not really execute or analyse anything. Sometimes it implies a graduate position but the line is very, very blurry.

The only formal definition of executive is to mean someone who can execute actions for the company ie. a person authorised to represent and commit the company to legal contracts. These are the board of directors and the management ie. CEO, CFO, COO/GM, Legal Counsel and Company Secretary.
zeist
post Apr 22 2010, 07:19 AM

Mivec 1800cc
All Stars
15,182 posts

Title = useless

All I care is the salary.
TStonYe
post Apr 22 2010, 11:27 AM

Game Designer
1,455 posts

QUOTE(underpressure @ Apr 22 2010, 01:19 AM)
But general rule of thumb is executive represent management, non-executive represent not critical decision making therefore is unable to represent the firm.

But a summary, executive gets better perk/salary/benefit then a non executive. Just because you're a non executive, doesnt mean you can't move up. There are plenty of stories where people join as a clerk and work their went up to directors.
So what if I accepted a virtual banking executive position? I know the title says executive, but will it allow me to move up?

QUOTE(seantang @ Apr 22 2010, 01:38 AM)
There's no hard & fast definition of executives and non-executives in the context that you're thinking of. It's a title that is overused... like analyst. They might not really execute or analyse anything. Sometimes it implies a graduate position but the line is very, very blurry.

The only formal definition of executive is to mean someone who can execute actions for the company ie. a person authorised to represent and commit the company to legal contracts. These are the board of directors and the management ie. CEO, CFO, COO/GM, Legal Counsel and Company Secretary.
Okay let me narrow this down to what I need to know. Does it really mean that executives have a better and clearer career path towards becoming a manager?
robertngo
post Apr 22 2010, 12:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

the definition of executive in malaysia totally the reverse of what it mean in US. where executive are senior management, that is why the CEO the top position in the company is the chief executive officer. in malaysia executive generally are the entry level jobs above clerk level.

my old company is an american company the top person in my company title is country executive, causing problem with malaysian perception that executive are low level worker, so have to get US approval to change title to something like country director.

This post has been edited by robertngo: Apr 22 2010, 12:35 PM
segaraga
post Apr 22 2010, 12:56 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(underpressure @ Apr 22 2010, 02:19 AM)

see public bank founder...nothing is imposible..exec and non-exec today are the same today...
leongal
post Apr 22 2010, 12:59 PM

~I have a new mission in life~
3,188 posts

there is also this executive and non-executive directors....no difference?
seantang
post Apr 22 2010, 01:28 PM

With Adult Supervision Only
6,624 posts

QUOTE(leongal @ Apr 22 2010, 12:59 PM)
there is also this executive and non-executive directors....no difference?
Executive directors are directors who are also employees of the company. That means they draw a salary as well as director's fees.

Non-executive directors are not employed by the company. They are not on the payroll and are paid only director's fees.

Added on April 22, 2010, 1:33 pm
QUOTE(tonYe @ Apr 22 2010, 11:27 AM)
Does it really mean that executives have a better and clearer career path towards becoming a manager?
No. It means that the title has little meaning in terms of career progression. What matters is the size of your responsibilities and how much you're paid ie. how much you are worth to an employer. The company can call you CEO (Chief Executive Officeboy) if they want... but you're still just an officeboy.

Added on April 22, 2010, 1:41 pm
QUOTE(segaraga @ Apr 22 2010, 12:56 PM)
see public bank founder...nothing is imposible..exec and non-exec today are the same today...
If people in this forum are the same calibre as PBB's founder... well, they won't be in this forum in the first place.

I believe in positive reinforcement, but to think that you can do something because ultra-exceptional persons like Teh Hong Piow or Bill Gates or Lim Goh Tong can... that's just daydreaming. They were the best of the very best. Literally 1 in a million. Gates is probably 1 in a billion. You are, at most, average... ie. Impossible.

This post has been edited by seantang: Apr 22 2010, 01:41 PM
TStonYe
post Apr 22 2010, 02:46 PM

Game Designer
1,455 posts

QUOTE(robertngo @ Apr 22 2010, 12:33 PM)
the definition of executive in malaysia totally the reverse of what it mean in US. where executive are senior management, that is why the CEO the top position in the company is the chief executive officer. in malaysia executive generally are the entry level jobs above clerk level.

my old company is an american company the top person in my company title is country executive, causing problem with malaysian perception that executive are low level worker, so have to get US approval to change title to something like country director.
Yes sadly this seems to be the case. I couldn't even find a clear cut answer by googling "executive and non-executive jobs" but instead the results I got were all "executive directors and non-executive directors".

QUOTE(seantang @ Apr 22 2010, 01:28 PM)
No. It means that the title has little meaning in terms of career progression. What matters is the size of your responsibilities and how much you're paid ie. how much you are worth to an employer. The company can call you CEO (Chief Executive Officeboy) if they want... but you're still just an officeboy.
So I guess the best way is to ask the interviewer about my career progression?
dattebayo
post Jun 28 2010, 01:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,331 posts

this term is vastly abused in local job market

u can have all the executives in ur job title, with a word "retail" in front, making it "retail executives", so in the end what do you do? u job is no much difference than retail assistant aka shopkeeper
mognatallia
post Apr 27 2017, 02:58 PM

1 posts

Hello!
I think I should mention it here (though it can be a wrong thread, if so - I'm deeply sorry): if you're interested in freelance senior executives job opportunities, look for them on XPlace. It's a freelance job board that has a lot of advantages for its experts, such as the absence of a commission, higher hourly rates than on the majority of other outsourcing platforms, and a wide range of job offers to apply for. I strongly recommend that you check it out!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0147sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:14 PM