Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

how to start a website

views

TSmagnum
post Mar 23 2010, 12:21 PM, updated 15y ago

On my way
586 posts

Dear guys,
newbie to website. just want to ask, how do i start a website from scratch? what type of software that i need, and after that, how do i upload to the server? if i am using php, how to do all these?
thanks.

ccyap003
post Mar 23 2010, 05:21 PM

Getting Started
108 posts

QUOTE(magnum @ Mar 23 2010, 12:21 PM)
Dear guys,
  newbie to website. just want to ask, how do i start a website from scratch? what type of software that i need, and after that, how do  i upload to the server? if i am using php, how to do all these?
  thanks.
Can do it Using Ms Word 2003 or Ms Word 2007.
Format the pages as per you design, hide the outline and save it as Web page.
It is that simple for a begining and a simple web pages.

To upload to the server, click those upload button, choose the file, upload it and save the setting.

Go to Internet Explorer and key in your website. There goes your new Webpages
SamTHorn
post Mar 24 2010, 02:19 AM

4 posts

I found how to videos on you tube that I found very helpful. This is a great jumping off point.

Good Luck!

~ Sam
TSmagnum
post Mar 24 2010, 07:58 AM

On my way
586 posts

thanks guys.. i will try the Word and search in youtube later...
bardshah92
post Mar 24 2010, 11:32 AM

Nemes1s
634 posts

nowdays..
hosting provider will provide u a program such as fantastico to make a newbie in website development more easier to make their own web site..

matsuo19amon
post Apr 2 2010, 08:48 AM

12 posts

please don't use MS word to design websites. If you have the budget, try to use Adobe Dreamweaver, but if you don't, there's even Microsoft Frontpage to try instead of MS Word. and besides, PHP and HTML are 2 different things. if you want to buy a web domain (.com, .net, etc) you can buy through godaddy.com using paypal or credit card.

nowadays people usually buy a domain -> go blog like wordpress/blogspot to download template -> setup in own computer -> buy hosting server -> link blog with domain in the hosting place.
iori57
post Apr 2 2010, 11:25 AM

私は..思い出はならないさ
1,174 posts

don't reinvent the wheel by programming the whole website system from ground up, it will take few years at least if you're working alone.. use one of the CMS (content management systems) to start, you're life will be much easier.. I've been there and done that.

the systems behind those CMS are really complicated and it's impossible for one guy to program all of them.. some more they're free (open source)..

I don't know about other CMS but in my opinion Drupal is one of the top, go to www.drupal.org for more information. Many webhosts now provide fantastico control panel which lets you deploy drupal (or other CMS) in just one click, after that you may go to the admin section and start customizing your website smile.gif

check out my website built entirely using drupal: www.thesimplest.net
there are modules that can expand the functionality of drupal, by installing ubercart for example i can turn my website to an e-commerce website as well such as www.eleannor.com.my (also mine)

i don't earn anything by introducing drupal, and drupal is free as well so i'm not advertising for them as they earn nothing anyway.. just my 2 cents smile.gif

to use drupal u'll need to rent a webhost though.. one year maybe rm140 like that.. if you're tight on budget and only want a simple website though u can just use blogspot or wordpress (normally people just create a free blog that's all they need)
kuda_belank
post Apr 2 2010, 11:41 AM

23 posts

old time:-
1)own server to test = wamp
2)for editing the code = notepad++

now:-
1)using cms(joomla,liferay and etc.)
2)using software/webbase(wix, phpdesigner and etc.)

if you want to upload into other server, just use filezilla... drag and drop... easy
try using php rather than html... (save as .php)
you can use mysql and javascript...

w3school....phpsimple.net..phpeasystep.com...to learn php...
paypal7898
post Apr 6 2010, 05:31 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

start a website from scratch?
i have tutorial for this.
PM me and i will send download link for website tutorial for free.
hanstermp78
post Apr 11 2010, 04:57 PM

17 posts

QUOTE(kuda_belank @ Apr 2 2010, 11:41 AM)
old time:-
1)own server to test = wamp
2)for editing the code = notepad++

now:-
1)using cms(joomla,liferay and etc.)
2)using software/webbase(wix, phpdesigner and etc.)

if you want to upload into other server, just use filezilla... drag and drop... easy
try using php rather than html... (save as .php)
you can use mysql and javascript...

w3school....phpsimple.net..phpeasystep.com...to learn php...
I would suggest wordpad better than notepad. because is more easier to read. smile.gif
johnming2
post Jul 3 2017, 12:49 PM

1 posts

It's not that tough to build a website nowadays because of the help of many website tools like WordPress and affordable hosting options.

One way to start your own website is by following this guide closely. This is how i start mine and it worked well.

With the guide you can start any kind of website or blog. Just make sure you familiarise yourself with the website building platform called WordPress (it's almost similar to Microsoft Word) and once you get your head around it, you will understand how to build any kind of websites.

In short, WordPress is like the engine of your vehicle and WordPress theme is the frame of your vehicle (you basically get to choose what kind of website you want). For instance, let's say you want a website to promote a movie, then you can just buy a WordPress theme for movie promotion and film marketing. Or if you want a food blog website, then you can just buy a WordPress theme for a personal food blog. Simple.
graceinc
post Nov 11 2017, 02:46 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

Interesting following, as I always to update my blog site but can't do it myself.
junclj
post Mar 23 2018, 02:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,297 posts

Dear guys,
  newbie to website. just want to ask, how do i start a website from scratch? what type of software that i need, and after that, how do  i upload to the server? if i am using php, how to do all these?
  thanks.
You need to pay $$$ for webhost subscription. Or if you have a fast broadband in your home, you can buy a server machine to host a website by yourself.
Let's say you have Windows Server 2016, you can create your own free domain in the dashboard.
There have a function "Set up Anywhere Access". But usually I'm use this function to do my remote desktop. So I can access my office server machine through remote desktop through a "http://xxx.com" domain.
soonwai
post Mar 23 2018, 03:46 PM

9,988 posts

I remember this friend who did his website in Photoshop and then image-mapped the hell out of everything.

Here's an example of a website done in Microsoft Frontpage back in 2011.
http://www.nyc.com.my

This post has been edited by soonwai: Mar 23 2018, 03:48 PM
eggtart02
post Apr 6 2018, 03:56 PM

Getting Started
113 posts

you can try watching tutorial videos on udemy and skillshare. they are very useful to me.
nodeffect
post Apr 6 2018, 06:28 PM

Your past does not equal your future.
1,272 posts

if you like more customization but easy to learn at the same time, can try wordpress... need some time to learn tho... but it's quite powerful
chunleong
post Sep 5 2018, 07:05 PM

3 posts

There are few steps to start a website:

1. Buy a domain name and hosting.
(domain name is like www. ___.com)
(hosting is where the website located)
2. Plan your website.
3. Design it by uploading your content.
4. Do SEO so people easy to find you

This guy helps me a lot in doing my company website.
You guys can check it out:
https://www.fiverr.com/ben_low/build-a-resp...rdpress-website

tonnymartin
post Sep 13 2018, 04:11 PM

5 posts

You have to do the following things to create a website

Register your domain name
Pick Your Template
Customize Your Template
Find a web hosting company
Prepare your content
Build your website
Publish!
three2wan
post Sep 13 2018, 04:14 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

Dear guys,
  thanks.
Try to create using localhost first. There are plenty of tutorial on Youtube you can follow.
entertop
post Nov 16 2018, 10:16 PM

11 posts

if need a get start with free website can consider the Google My business website

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0161sec    0.23    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:14 PM