Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Notepad++ Git Plugin

views

TSeverling
post Mar 16 2010, 09:30 PM, updated 15y ago

Look at all my stars!!
3,591 posts

If you have been wanting some basic level of Git integration with Notepad++, here it is!

Attached Image

I modified the Notepad++ SVN plugin, originally written by Brandon Cannaday and modified by Ronny Sherer, to get this Notepad++ Git plugin.

Notepad++ Git plugin DLL: Attached File  NPPGit.dll.zip ( 9.95k ) Number of downloads: 18854

Source code: Attached File  NPPGit.source.zip ( 27.99k ) Number of downloads: 2212

Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition

I'll just quote some bits of his page as they are still relevant. Just modify the TortoiseSVN references to TortoiseGit. blush.gif
QUOTE(Brandon Cannaday)
The plugin simply uses the command line features of TortoiseSVN, so you'll have to install it before the plugin will work.

[...]

Installation Instructions

Make sure TortoiseSVN is installed and you've installed the latest version of Notepad++.

The plugin comes in the form of a zipped, dll. Simply unzip the dll and place it in the Notepad++ plugins directory. For a typical install, it will be located here: "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins". Next time you launch Notepad++, the plugin will automatically be loaded.

The plugin should work under Windows XP, Vista, and 7. Both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems are supported. If you find any bugs on these systems or others, drop a comment and I'll see if I can address them.

I've noticed that sometimes Notepad++'s auto-updater thinks the plugin needs to be updated. This usually results in a new version being overwritten by version 1.0. If you update to 1.1 or 1.2, do not use Notepad++'s auto-update feature when it prompts you for this plugin.

Source: Notepad++ Subversion Plugin

And here is the comment that I used for as the basis for mine.
QUOTE(Ronny Sherer @ May 16 2009, 12:01am)
Added "add" and "diff" functionalities.

I also made the code more general and easy to change.

DLL can be downloaded here: http://www.shererim.com/downloads/NPPSvn.zip
Sources here: http://www.shererim.com/downloads/NPPSvn-source.zip
Source: Comment

This post has been edited by everling: Mar 18 2010, 02:48 PM
eclectice
post Mar 17 2010, 06:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

QUOTE(everling @ Mar 16 2010, 09:30 PM)
If you have been wanting some basic level of Git integration with Notepad++, here it is!

Attached Image

I modified the Notepad++ SVN plugin, originally written by Brandon Cannaday and modified by Ronny Sherer, to get this Notepad++ Git plugin.

Notepad++ Git plugin DLL: Attached File  NPPGit.dll.zip ( 9.95k ) Number of downloads: 18854

Source code: Attached File  NPPGit.source.zip ( 27.99k ) Number of downloads: 2212

I'll just quote some bits of his page as they are still relevant. Just modify the TortoiseSVN references to TortoiseGit. blush.gif

Good job on the Git plugin. But, since I don't use Notepad++ and GIT, I cannot comment or give review of it.
Find The Way
post Mar 17 2010, 11:54 PM

Enthusiast
724 posts

Though I'm not a git user, honestly I feel excited to see more and more Malaysian involve in this kind of work. I also want to gambateh le. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Find The Way: Mar 17 2010, 11:54 PM
TSeverling
post Mar 18 2010, 07:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,591 posts

Thanks for the support guys. smile.gif

Unfortunately I've come across a minor bug with it. When committing changes, it seems to be secretly adding some other files that are also under version control but had its last modified time changed.

I suppose it is a good thing that nobody else has downloaded it. biggrin.gif

Edit: On second thought, it appears to be an issue with TortoiseGit and not my plugin.

This post has been edited by everling: Mar 18 2010, 07:41 AM
TSeverling
post Mar 18 2010, 02:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,591 posts

Well, that turned out to be a misunderstanding, somewhere. The bug was bogus as the logs showed up fine. Maybe I shouldn't be working on things so early in the morning. doh.gif

This post has been edited by everling: Mar 18 2010, 02:54 PM
dstl1128
post Mar 19 2010, 08:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,463 posts

That's nice of you. Good stuff wink.gif.

Does Notepad++ support 3-way diff/merge view? Haven't use Notepad++ aggressively.

p/s: I still prefer separate tools - cmd line git & gvim. tongue.gif

TSeverling
post Mar 19 2010, 11:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,591 posts

You're welcome. smile.gif

You mean diff with 3 files at the same time or merging two files into a third? Afaik, Notepad++ only diffs two files. The option is available in the "Plugins > Compare" (visible in the screenshot) and supports diffing two opened files or with SVN. It is rather primitive when compared to TortoiseMerge.
cleave
post Mar 19 2010, 12:06 PM

Custom Title goes here...
673 posts

Excellent job, everling. thumbup.gif
I dont normally interface with Git but I've downloaded your plugin and will try it out nevertheless, if I have the chance or excuse. unsure.gif
ianemv
post May 19 2011, 02:37 PM

1 posts

Download link of Tortoise please smile.gif
ross03
post Mar 2 2017, 03:01 PM

5 posts

Thank you for share about the Git plugin
WinkyJr
post Mar 7 2017, 04:09 PM

Casual
381 posts

any love for sublime text?
lumusislight
post Nov 1 2019, 02:29 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(WinkyJr @ Mar 7 2017, 04:09 PM)
any love for sublime text?
Hi,

I've been a Sublime user for over 4-5 years already and there can't be anything better. I can easily edit the remote files. Sometimes, the syntax highlighting service is slow, but it's not an issue for me. Have you tried VS code, Brackets or Atom, btw?

This post has been edited by lumusislight: Nov 1 2019, 02:30 PM
alexa
post Nov 1 2019, 05:02 PM

Big Boss
1,456 posts

QUOTE(everling @ Mar 16 2010, 09:30 PM)

Attached Image

Not bad...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    0.36    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:24 AM