Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

which broadband service is more suitable for me, confuse with all the packages now

views

TSspiderwick
post Mar 13 2010, 12:45 PM, updated 15y ago

Casual
341 posts

hey guys,

i'm currently subscribed to streamyx combo package 512kb (fixed line) which inclusive phone rental and paying RM90 per mth.
Thinking of upgrading to 1MB and wireless, as sometimes my bro and sis will fight to online rclxub.gif

but i'm not sure which is the best option to do..
is it better to;
a) upgrade my plan to blockbuster deal right now which costs RM 110/mth? if 2 ppl online at the same time, they'll get average speed of 512kb?
b) upgrade to super upgrade deal? which costs RM 90 for the first 4 mths? and RM95 on 5th mth onwards? but does it include phone rental and is it wired connection?? if wired i need to buy router is it??? is using router better than wireless then??
c) or better to subscribe from maxis, celcom, digi or P1???

they usually use internet to browse websites for info, news, sometimes youtube, download songs, watch movies once a while..facebook to play games...

i'm a bit confuse with all the packages right now and not very good in IT, so don't understand which is more cost effective.

appreciate for your guys' inputs and advices.

by the way, my location is jb.

many thanks! smile.gif
soonvee
post Mar 14 2010, 02:50 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(spiderwick @ Mar 13 2010, 12:45 PM)
hey guys,

i'm currently subscribed to streamyx combo package 512kb (fixed line) which inclusive phone rental and paying RM90 per mth.
Thinking of upgrading to 1MB and wireless, as sometimes my bro and sis will fight to online rclxub.gif

but i'm not sure which is the best option to do..
is it better to;
a) upgrade my plan to blockbuster deal right now which costs RM 110/mth? if 2 ppl online at the same time, they'll get average speed of 512kb?
b) upgrade to super upgrade deal? which costs RM 90 for the first 4 mths? and RM95 on 5th mth onwards? but does it include phone rental and is it wired connection?? if wired i need to buy router is it??? is using router better than wireless then??
c) or better to subscribe from maxis, celcom, digi or P1???

they usually use internet to browse websites for info, news, sometimes youtube, download songs, watch movies once a while..facebook to play games...

i'm a bit confuse with all the packages right now and not very good in IT, so don't understand which is more cost effective.

appreciate for your guys' inputs and advices.

by the way, my location is jb.

many thanks!  smile.gif
Hey,the answer is obviously what smile.gif No point for you to upgrade to blockbuster deal(Free phone call) when you need a more high speed broadband!!

Second,TM right now have WIFI modem ma neither you upgrade to blockbuster or Super Upgrade Deal u can always request for the free WIFI modem from TM point or reseller so that you no need buy separate router!!

amirudin920927
post Mar 14 2010, 10:30 AM

///-| Kapten | Amirudin |-\\\
1,431 posts

don't ever use P1 SUCKMAX!
TSspiderwick
post Mar 14 2010, 10:54 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(soonvee @ Mar 14 2010, 02:50 AM)
Hey,the answer is obviously what smile.gif  No point for you to upgrade to blockbuster deal(Free phone call) when you need a more high speed broadband!!

Second,TM right now have WIFI modem ma neither you upgrade to blockbuster or Super Upgrade Deal u can always request for the free WIFI modem from TM point or reseller so that you no need buy separate router!!
coz both packages also let u to upgrade to 1mb, just wondering which one is better and cheaper?

u mean even if i din upgrade any packages from them, i can still request free wifi modem?? i didn't know abt this.
and with current 512kb, if 2 ppl use at the same time, will become 256kb speed each?

thanks!
ahcheap
post Mar 15 2010, 02:19 PM

TM UniFi/Streamyx Reseller
1,458 posts

QUOTE(spiderwick @ Mar 14 2010, 10:54 PM)
coz both packages also let u to upgrade to 1mb, just wondering which one is better and cheaper?

u mean even if i din upgrade any packages from them, i can still request free wifi modem?? i didn't know abt this.
and with current 512kb, if 2 ppl use at the same time, will become 256kb speed each?

thanks!
If u plan to stay longer with Streamyx, take Super Upgrade Deal 1Mb cos its cheaper, 2 years contract;
If u wanna enjoy Free TM fixed line to fixed line call, just upgrade to Blockbuster package, 1 Year contract.

TSspiderwick
post Mar 15 2010, 11:10 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(ahcheap @ Mar 15 2010, 02:19 PM)
If u plan to stay longer with Streamyx, take Super Upgrade Deal 1Mb cos its cheaper, 2 years contract;
If u wanna enjoy Free TM fixed line to fixed line call, just upgrade to Blockbuster package, 1 Year contract.
ahcheap, the super upgrade deal is giving free wifi modem also is it?
sorry for the noob question, so if two ppl online at same time, will get half of 1mb speed each?

so far streamyx wireless is it stable? coz heard a lot of ppl said wired is still better..

thanks!
ahcheap
post Mar 16 2010, 12:02 AM

TM UniFi/Streamyx Reseller
1,458 posts

Yup Free Wifi modem wil be given.

I dont know how to answer this question but 1Mb should be enuf for 2 ppl .

Super Upgrade Deal and blockbuster package are actually wired internet connection with free wifi modem(1 LAN port), so u can only Wifi @ home.
OKLY
post Mar 16 2010, 09:16 AM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

QUOTE(spiderwick @ Mar 15 2010, 11:10 PM)
ahcheap, the super upgrade deal is giving free wifi modem also is it?
sorry for the noob question, so if two ppl online at same time, will get half of 1mb speed each?

so far streamyx wireless is it stable? coz heard a lot of ppl said wired is still better..

thanks!
If you get a good router with efficient QoS packet shaping, 1mbps can even be shared with 3-4 people. smile.gif
OKLY
post Mar 16 2010, 11:50 PM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

QUOTE(Ivan Ludwig @ Mar 16 2010, 08:15 PM)
If you heavy downloader but economical choose 1Mbps streamyx, if you light user and need mobility choose celcom broadband... Dont think use P1 or Maxis, if not you are searching a big problem... smile.gif
Then again its area dependent and Celcom Broadband might not be good at certain areas too. Best if a potential customer tries it out at his/her area first before fully committing to the service. smile.gif
TSspiderwick
post Mar 20 2010, 02:56 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(yongkailoon @ Mar 16 2010, 09:16 AM)
If you get a good router with efficient QoS packet shaping, 1mbps can even be shared with 3-4 people. smile.gif
hi yongkailoon,

could u recommend me a good router then? but understand if u use router, ur speed will be divided too
thanks!
OKLY
post Mar 22 2010, 06:49 AM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

QUOTE(spiderwick @ Mar 20 2010, 02:56 PM)
hi yongkailoon,

could u recommend me a good router then? but understand if u use router, ur speed will be divided too
thanks!
Quite a common one these days would be the Linksys WRT54GL which is specially manufactured to be flashed to 3rd party firmwares. Well, it all depends on how you configure it, you can set it to divide equally or even just do a packet shaping giving priority to certain applications. For example, you can give priority this way:

1. HTTP (web browsing)
2. Instant Messaging (WLM, Skype etc)
3. P2P (BitTorrent)

So if it is configured this way, say there's nobody using the Internet connection and the only computer that is switched on is downloading via BitTorrent, it will then obtain full speed but should other computers come on doing web browsing later on, the HTTP traffic will automatically be prioritized to allow it to go through first so this will reduce the traffic congestion significantly.

Some 3rd party firmwares that you can look at will be DD-WRT and Tomato.
tanhks
post Mar 26 2010, 11:54 PM

On my way
608 posts

QUOTE(spiderwick @ Mar 20 2010, 02:56 PM)
hi yongkailoon,

thanks!
The speed is dynamically devided by two.
What this means is...say person A, after open a webpage, he/she is reading that webpage, no data transfer activity on A,
than person B if he/she is download some thing person B is getting 1mbps.

If both person A and B is doing download at the sametime, than both of them are getting 500kbps.

for me, i like 3com (with 52mbps wifi) and Dlink.
zellleonhart
post Mar 27 2010, 12:02 AM

Stars stars stars
5,003 posts

Im using streamyx 1mbps and shared among 2 users with tm wifi modem. Im heavy downloader but my sister isn't. when im downloading she's ok with the speed, not too slow. Quite fast also while downloading except torrent.

So i think 1mbps is sufficient if not heavy downloader, surfing both will get around the same speed.

Dont ever think of p1 or maxis or other mobile broadband if u have a tm fixed line, it's always more stable.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:48 PM