Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[UPDATED 11/17/05]Headphone FAQ, read this, check it, before you buy one.

views

thedoctor
post Oct 15 2005, 04:59 PM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(ThEmAGpiE @ Oct 15 2005, 02:57 PM)
can any1 tell me d pros n cons of dts, pro logic n dolby??
like which is better n all dat..get confused with all these selections!!

there's a thread before this for those jargons.. in audiophile of course. try searching a few pages back..
mascis
post Nov 15 2005, 12:22 PM

7 posts

does anyone know where i can get Sennheiser, Koss, AKG or Shure earphones around PJ? and what is the price range i should expect? should be in the hundreds right?

thanks

P.S: and if possible, of the three brands stated, recommend one with good mids.

This post has been edited by mascis: Nov 15 2005, 12:56 PM
chernloon
post Nov 15 2005, 03:23 PM

On my way
515 posts

sennheiser : go to the senn distro at damansara perdana as stated in 1 of the pinned thread, or mediaplex in mid valley. mediaplex might carry akg as well since i saw akg at mediaplex klcc

AKG : a shop in 1u got, but limited model, near jusco there, corner lot, i think is 2nd or 3rd floor, forgot its name

This post has been edited by chernloon: Nov 15 2005, 03:24 PM
airbag_grado
post Nov 17 2005, 09:44 PM

* Washed Hand *
945 posts

QUOTE(mascis @ Nov 15 2005, 12:22 PM)
does anyone know where i can get Sennheiser, Koss, AKG or Shure earphones around PJ? and what is the price range i should expect? should be in the hundreds right?

thanks

P.S: and if possible, of the three brands stated, recommend one with good mids.
This is a dangerous qs to ask here tongue.gif , especially u mentioned akg,shure,senn. Why dun you state how much u are willing to pay?

KL not too far from PJ. Try shop in KL.
mascis
post Nov 22 2005, 12:08 PM

7 posts

dangerous is THE word =)

but kl mega jam...thats why im a bit reluctant to go. bad enough everyday i have to travel from pj to puchong to work

i just bought a pair of sennheiser mx-500 for the time being as i havent really made up my mind yet..nice sounds..and cheap..100 only..might make me lazy to upgrade..see how first

might not get shure in the end..coz i was thinking...in the end im only using an mp3 player..whats the point of getting a pair of ultra good and expensive earphones..no matter how good the bitrate is..it will never be as good as audio cds..and i have a good pair of panasonic clip ons and AKG headphones for my discman..dubai damn cheap..just minus around 50-80 bucks for all akg headphones you see in that shop in 1utama

thanks for replying chernloon and airbag_grado....grado headphones..very nice..quite expensive tho...but not as ridiculos as bang and olufsen...stupid prices

This post has been edited by mascis: Nov 22 2005, 12:18 PM
jonchoo
post Dec 5 2005, 03:39 PM

5 posts

Hey guys,
I was just wondering whether any of u have any idea whether will a headphone/earphone be damaged if it's plugged/unplugged onto a source that's playing.
That said, for example when my mp3 player is playing a song I remove the existing headphones n plug in another one.
Will there be any problems with doing so? Or does it cause any damages to the headphone?
I've seen some threads stating that it will cause problems but I was just wondering up to what extent and what problems will occur, whether noticeable?
Thanks in advanced for everyone reading thru this n replying too!

regards,
Jon
TSAlamakLor
post Dec 8 2005, 10:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(jonchoo @ Dec 5 2005, 04:39 AM)
Hey guys,
I was just wondering whether any of u have any idea whether will a headphone/earphone be damaged if it's plugged/unplugged onto a source that's playing.
That said, for example when my mp3 player is playing a song I remove the existing headphones n plug in another one.
Will there be any problems with doing so? Or does it cause any damages to the headphone?
I've seen some threads stating that it will cause problems but I was just wondering up to what extent and what problems will occur, whether noticeable?

regards,
Jon
little damage to the headphone, but more damage to the player/amp. just pause/mute the music before plugging it in. It'd also be best to NOT have the headphone plugged in when turning on an amp/DAP/whatever. plug it in after it's turned on but without music playing.
jonchoo
post Dec 8 2005, 04:30 PM

5 posts

Thanks heaps for yr answer, AlamakLor the audio guru.notworthy.gif. Clears my doubts. Will definitely take your advice as a guideline to follow. biggrin.gif
chernloon
post Dec 8 2005, 08:07 PM

On my way
515 posts

alamaklor :

when u wana build ur own headphone? thumbup.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Dec 10 2005, 12:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(chernloon @ Dec 8 2005, 09:07 AM)
alamaklor :

when u wana build ur own headphone?  thumbup.gif
laugh.gif never come across my mind. GAWDDAMNIT WTF is my secret weapon! cry.gif
Kagaya
post Jan 26 2006, 09:51 PM

Bad-Badtz Maru FREAK !!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,396 posts

Alamaklor, i'm kinda interested in building a Headphone Amp the size of those 5.25" Bay on a PC, utilising the PSU, but uses a separate DC/DC circuitry to avoid those noise generated by typical PC switching PSU...

The thing is the lack of info on such project on the net, and of course, my knowledge also limited. Perhaps i should just dump a CMOY into a box of such dimension or 'enhance' the provided circuit with a better PCB layout and sorts?
TSAlamakLor
post Jan 26 2006, 10:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(Kagaya @ Jan 26 2006, 10:51 AM)
Alamaklor, i'm kinda interested in building a Headphone Amp the size of those 5.25" Bay on a PC, utilising the PSU, but uses a separate DC/DC circuitry to avoid those noise generated by typical PC switching PSU...

The thing is the lack of info on such project on the net, and of course, my knowledge also limited. Perhaps i should just dump a CMOY into a box of such dimension or 'enhance' the provided circuit with a better PCB layout and sorts?
for the power section, the easiest way is to use a TREAD (tangentsoft) and bypass the rectifier stage since you are gonna use dc. Some pc psu are extremely noisy, but some are not....though it may still not be as clean as a dedicated linear psu. You can give it a try. If you don;t like Tangent's schemactics on his TREAD, just download the datasheet for LM317 and it will be on there as well.

the 5" bay is quite huge, you can almost accomodate a larger amp in it (ppa, and etc) skip the cmoy and go with a pimeta. You can cut corners on the pimeta and reduce the cost, yet retaining most of the sound smile.gif
Kagaya
post Jan 27 2006, 01:07 AM

Bad-Badtz Maru FREAK !!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,396 posts

Thanks, dude.. it must be chilling the butt in Canada huh?

PIMETA, another sifoo from another thread on Philips Headphone thread also recommend this. Gonna take a peek...

Edit: TREAD, what's that huh? Something like jumper wire?
Due to the noisy nature of a switching PSU, i wonder if a toroid ferrite core will do the trick in minimizing the noise?

This post has been edited by Kagaya: Jan 27 2006, 01:11 AM
thedoctor
post Jan 27 2006, 01:30 AM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(Kagaya @ Jan 27 2006, 01:07 AM)

PIMETA, another sifoo from another thread on Philips Headphone thread also recommend this. Gonna take a peek...

� � � � Due to the noisy nature of a switching PSU, i wonder if a toroid ferrite core will� � � �� do the trick in minimizing the noise?
tangent has a nice collection of audio articles. refer here. there stored articles about PPA, PIMETA, MINT and META amps.

TREAD is a Linear Power Regulation Circuit based on the LM317. but that requires about 3V drop across the regulator for it to work properly and without hum. so that's not really a choice if you're thinking of using the 12V rail. you'd be better off with a low dropout voltage regulator for that usage.

and i doubt that toroid ferrite core would help in smoothing switched power.
[edited : typos]

This post has been edited by thedoctor: Jan 27 2006, 01:37 AM
Redundant
post Jan 27 2006, 11:07 AM

Gundam Freak
1,637 posts

hey guys, would like to know if i plug my sony ex71sl into my laptop's headphone jack, would it do any damage? i've heard of plugging an earphone into desktop's soundcard will kill the earphone right?

This post has been edited by Redundant: Jan 27 2006, 11:08 AM
thedoctor
post Jan 27 2006, 02:38 PM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(Redundant @ Jan 27 2006, 11:07 AM)
hey guys, would like to know if i plug my sony ex71sl into my laptop's headphone jack, would it do any damage? i've heard of plugging an earphone into desktop's soundcard will kill the earphone right?
not that i've heard of. in fact, i do it all the time. and most people in here also does it. if you can't plug it into the soundjack, then where you're supposed to plug it into? sweat.gif

but then again, you might know something i don't.
Categg
post Jan 27 2006, 03:27 PM

Still A Forum Lurker
677 posts

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 27 2006, 02:38 PM)
not that i've heard of. in fact, i do it all the time. and most people in here also does it. if you can't plug it into the soundjack, then where you're supposed to plug it into? sweat.gif

but then again, you might know something i don't.

Intresting.. has anyone actually measured the DC offset that laptop outputs? It might be quite high for all we know laugh.gif

thedoctor
post Jan 27 2006, 08:39 PM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(Categg @ Jan 27 2006, 03:27 PM)
Intresting.. has anyone actually measured the DC offset that laptop outputs? It might be quite high for all we know laugh.gif
on laptop i never did, but on a SoundStorm, Audigy2 ZS, Audigy 1, SB Live, and some ALC850 and ALC650 the DC offset in less than 5mV. safe enough for even low impedence cans.
TSAlamakLor
post Jan 27 2006, 09:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(Kagaya @ Jan 26 2006, 02:07 PM)

Due to the noisy nature of a switching PSU, i wonder if a toroid ferrite core will        do the trick in minimizing the noise?
sure, slap a ferrite core/choke on the cable if u want, but that only attenuate the high freq noise. Remember that if your headphone is of low impedance, it is easier to hear noises since the caps would need to discharge more current, the ripple noise will increase. btw, I use switching wallwart myself, and I hear no noise whatsoever smile.gif BUT that's not a pc psu tongue.gif
Uchiha Itachi
post Feb 5 2006, 03:56 AM

Enthusiast
723 posts

QUOTE(jonchoo @ Dec 5 2005, 03:39 PM)
Hey guys,

regards,
Jon
My earphone suddenly dead after i plugged it into a mp3 player that playing, just the right side though, any idea why and can it be fix?

18 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.52    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:11 PM