Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages « < 15 16 17 18 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [UPDATED 11/17/05]Headphone FAQ, read this, check it, before you buy one.

views

ezpoir
post Dec 7 2013, 08:05 PM

Getting Started
255 posts

Hey guys, have a quick question and survey on volume.

Is there any harm if I listen to my music maximum volume? I am using an iPhone 5 as my player and Ultimate Ears 200 (switching to a Shure SE215 in no time)
and I usually listen to my music maximum volume or 1-2 clicks away from maximum. I don't find it a problem and I really enjoy it this way, sometimes I would even
prefer it to be louder. Note that I also do not have any ear problems.

My question is, will this do any harm to my earphones or my ears themselves, because I've been doing this for a long time and I'm really used to this.

Throw me your answers!
Mackiddo
post Jan 1 2014, 11:20 AM

† St. David †
5,742 posts

Noise should be controlled below a level equivalent to 85 dBA for eight hours to minimise noise induced hearing loss. When the noise level is increased by 5 dBA, the amount of time a person can be exposed to a certain noise level to receive the same dose is cut in half.
melvintcs
post Jan 5 2014, 07:42 PM

♥ Photography ♪
1,350 posts

not sure if here is the right place to ask
i was using flac with 1000kbps +- with my sony phone.
now i changed to iphone, and i use m4a with 500kbps+- format.

i insert the flac and m4a song into my sony and i cant really tell the different. but after i googled, found out that m4a is a container and flac is a container + codec ? what is that mean?

so far im not using any dac/amp yet. if after i attached dac/amp, can we tell the different in term of the audio quality?

liquidgal
post Jan 6 2014, 12:59 AM

Enthusiast
809 posts

QUOTE(melvintcs @ Jan 5 2014, 07:42 PM)
not sure if here is the right place to ask
i was using flac with 1000kbps +- with my sony phone.
now i changed to iphone, and i use m4a with 500kbps+- format.

i insert the flac and m4a song into my sony and i cant really tell the different. but after i googled, found out that m4a is a container and flac is a container + codec ? what is that mean?

so far im not using any dac/amp yet. if after i attached dac/amp, can we tell the different in term of the audio quality?
For M4a, it can be lossy or lossless depending on what codec do you use. Most of the M4a is lossy.

For the second question, the answer is definitely yes. A better system can show you much more difference.
You can take note on its overtone and sound stage. You will find that lossless format gives you a more natural feeling.

But this also depends on the recording quality of the music. Some music has better recording quality. Even if it is bring compressed, still sounds good. Some songs with lower recording quality, doesn't sound as nice even in the lossless format.

Here is a site for you to test out if you can differentiate the low and high quality lossy sound.
http://mp3ornot.com
chaukian
post Mar 22 2014, 12:15 PM

Getting Started
210 posts

Nt sure if tis is the right section.

Has anyone had any experience with jvc ha-sz2000 headphone?

I was reali interested by their carbon nanotube diaphragm and the speaker tech employed in the gigantic shell.
pj_guitarist
post Apr 11 2014, 06:37 PM

Regular
1,625 posts

QUOTE(ezpoir @ Dec 7 2013, 08:05 PM)
Hey guys, have a quick question and survey on volume.

Is there any harm if I listen to my music maximum volume? I am using an iPhone 5 as my player and Ultimate Ears 200 (switching to a Shure SE215 in no time)
and I usually listen to my music maximum volume or 1-2 clicks away from maximum. I don't find it a problem and I really enjoy it this way, sometimes I would even
prefer it to be louder. Note that I also do not have any ear problems.

My question is, will this do any harm to my earphones or my ears themselves, because I've been doing this for a long time and I'm really used to this.

Throw me your answers!
how long is long time? i used to listen to my mp3 and discman during my teenage years at near max volume even others can listen through my earphones in trains, and used to listen to metal and hard rock alot during those days. it have left me quite impaired aurally, especially when talking to other ppl with a constant background noise present, it is advisable to go lower in your case if u want to appreciate your music more in later years.
ezpoir
post Apr 14 2014, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
255 posts

QUOTE(pj_guitarist @ Apr 11 2014, 06:37 PM)
how long is long time? i used to listen to my mp3 and discman during my teenage years at near max volume even others can listen through my earphones in trains, and used to listen to metal and hard rock alot during those days. it have left me quite impaired aurally, especially when talking to other ppl with a constant background noise present, it is advisable to go lower in your case if u want to appreciate your music more in later years.
About a few years I guess, roughly 3-4 years I've been doing it.
I too listen to metal and hard rock and a lot of noisy stuff, over the time I had some mp3 players and some's max volume wasn't even enough for me
pj_guitarist
post Apr 14 2014, 05:44 PM

Regular
1,625 posts

QUOTE(ezpoir @ Apr 14 2014, 01:13 PM)
About a few years I guess, roughly 3-4 years I've been doing it.
I too listen to metal and hard rock and a lot of noisy stuff, over the time I had some mp3 players and some's max volume wasn't even enough for me
Do urself a favor, get a good player , and get a good headphones (not iem or earphone) then listen to FLAC format songs at lower volume, that could open your ears more without damaging it in long term
ezpoir
post Apr 16 2014, 03:25 PM

Getting Started
255 posts

QUOTE(pj_guitarist @ Apr 14 2014, 05:44 PM)
Do urself a favor, get a good player , and get a good headphones (not iem or earphone) then listen to FLAC format songs at lower volume, that could open your ears more without damaging it in long term
I personally don't really like using headphones to listen to music though :/
I find it very big and bulky and bothering to me,
Right now I am using the Shure SE215 and a-Jays one+
noobandroid
post Apr 16 2014, 05:01 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,443 posts

QUOTE(ezpoir @ Apr 16 2014, 03:25 PM)
you haven't seen what is a heavy headphone until you tried the audeze or other planar headphone
pj_guitarist
post Apr 16 2014, 09:20 PM

Regular
1,625 posts

try it , with headphones you can project better sounds/ high clarity/fidelity with having the vast airspace to project the sounds. IEM and earphone is all good i myself is commuting with brianwavs b2, but on long travels more than an hour i go for headphones for comfort and seriously higher quality of sound. IEM and earphone always will have an inherent inferiority to headphones no matter how high up the ladder of pricing you go, if you take 1000 bucks and find an iem a 1000 bucks headphone will always triumph imo . and seriously just give i a try , u can always find a lighter built model if you hate the bulky kind. your ears will thank you in the future if u make the change now.

This post has been edited by pj_guitarist: Apr 17 2014, 01:52 AM
Lego Warfare
post Apr 17 2014, 12:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,619 posts

QUOTE(pj_guitarist @ Apr 16 2014, 09:20 PM)
try it , with headphones you can project better sounds/ high clarity/fidelity with having the vast airspace to project the sounds. IEM and earphone is all good i myself is commuting with brianwavs b2, but on long travels more than an hour i go for headphones for comfort and seriously higher quality of sound. IEM and earphone always will have an inherent inferiority to headphones no matter how high up the ladder of pricing you go, if you take 1000 bucks and find an iem a 100 bucks headphone will always triumph. and seriously just give i a try ,  u can always find a lighter built model if you hate the bulky kind. your ears will thank you  in the future if u make the change now.
Sorry i have to strongly disagree with that statement...
Even a cheaper SE215 sounds better to me compared to a Beats Headphone which is 3x the price of the IEM..
pj_guitarist
post Apr 17 2014, 12:51 AM

Regular
1,625 posts

QUOTE(Lego Warfare @ Apr 17 2014, 12:32 AM)
Sorry i have to strongly disagree with that statement...
Even a cheaper SE215 sounds better to me compared to a Beats Headphone which is 3x the price of the IEM..
its your opinion, u ofc can disagree with it however you like
but i would nvr recommend beats anyway. ur buying the brand more when you take the beats.
even my cheaper denon dh-1001 is suerior than double price b2 brainwavs.
but then again i have amp with my com, and i use fiio x3 every single day when im commuting for work.
and that's my opinion, i've been using iem and earphone since form 3 when i get my first discman phillips shure Klipsch sennheiser
and i have always prefer thems for short travels with the mobility it provides,
yet when i really want to hear every inch of instrument separation i rarely stray away from headphones plus my ampped laptop.
well that's my opinion given the current circumstances.
so u may disagree i don't mind everyone have one, doesnt mean im right it means im giving my opinion, and its u to you to disagree or not.

Lego Warfare
post Apr 17 2014, 01:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,619 posts

QUOTE(pj_guitarist @ Apr 17 2014, 12:51 AM)
its your opinion, u ofc can disagree with it however you like
but i would nvr recommend beats anyway. ur buying the brand more when you take the beats.
even my cheaper denon dh-1001 is suerior than double price b2 brainwavs.
but then again i have amp with my com, and i use fiio x3 every single day when im commuting for work.
and that's my opinion, i've been using iem and earphone since form 3 when i get my first discman phillips shure Klipsch sennheiser
and i have always prefer thems for short travels with the mobility it provides,
yet when i really want to hear every inch of instrument separation i rarely stray away from headphones plus my ampped laptop.
well that's my opinion given the current circumstances.
so u may disagree i don't mind everyone have one, doesnt mean im right it means im giving my opinion, and its u to you to disagree or not.
Well good for you, I've been using earphones/IEMs with cassette tapes since primary school, yet that doesn't change anything. Your statement says headphones will always beat IEMs/earphones. By that definition that would mean no matter what kind of headphones as long as they are headphones which includes Beats they would beat a 1000 bucks IEM. That includes pasar malam headphones?
When it comes to soundstage, spacing and separation then I agree headphones usually beat IEMs. But I wouldn't dare to even mention that a 100 bucks headphones will always beat a 1000 IEM.
The main part of your opinion I'm disagreeing is the "always" part. Even though it's an opinion I think that's a very presumptuous word.
pj_guitarist
post Apr 17 2014, 01:51 AM

Regular
1,625 posts

QUOTE(Lego Warfare @ Apr 17 2014, 01:47 AM)
Well good for you, I've been using earphones/IEMs with cassette tapes since primary school, yet that doesn't change anything. Your statement says headphones will always beat IEMs/earphones. By that definition that would mean no matter what kind of headphones as long as they are headphones which includes Beats they would beat a 1000 bucks IEM. That includes pasar malam headphones?
When it comes to soundstage, spacing and separation then I agree headphones usually beat IEMs. But I wouldn't dare to even mention that a 100 bucks headphones will always beat a 1000 IEM.
The main part of your opinion I'm disagreeing is the "always" part. Even though it's an opinion I think that's a very presumptuous word.
mistyped its 1000 vs 1000 ahahaha my bad. and ill edit it to if it were up to me 1000 bucks ill buy the headphones instead of iem. i hope that clear the previous issue. much typo sorry
Lego Warfare
post Apr 17 2014, 07:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,619 posts

QUOTE(pj_guitarist @ Apr 17 2014, 01:51 AM)
mistyped its 1000 vs 1000 ahahaha my bad. and ill edit it to if it were up to me 1000 bucks ill buy the headphones instead of iem. i hope that clear the previous issue. much typo sorry
Haha now that makes more sense tongue.gif
Soulsareworthless
post Jul 16 2014, 11:00 AM

Madridista
3,408 posts

Planars from Hifiman/Audeze are way heavier.
jiesheng22
post Jan 11 2015, 05:29 PM

29 posts

may i know what is the difference of normal headphones and dj headphones?? i heard it doesnt different much though
VagueConcerns
post Jul 22 2015, 10:18 PM

Enthusiast
870 posts

QUOTE(jiesheng22 @ Jan 11 2015, 05:29 PM)
may i know what is the difference of normal headphones and dj headphones?? i heard it doesnt different much though
I'm a bit bored at the moment so I lurk around looking for something to do in this forum, so I decided to anser this old but unanswered post.

Most commonly, a DJ headphone is one that is ergonomically designed for DJ duty. They have earcups that can swivel (to make it easier to use just one earcup with one hand), and the seal is good, are almost always closed back, and the headband may be tighter (having it loose may be distracting and cumbersome). They may or may not be tuned to have grater bass, though proper DJ "monitor" headphones shouldn't if you want to mix and do all your DJ-ing more accurately. They are not thin sounding like a studio monitor would be, they should just have enough air moving energy down to where it matters (mid 30Hz). In many cases, they sound pretty much what you would expect from any other headphone (good bass, quite pleasingly detailed), but they have extra functionality to make DJ-ing with them easier.
ruzainiazfar
post Apr 15 2016, 10:48 AM

Getting Started
86 posts

Hi guys,
I am thinking to replace my Audio-Technica ANC7b to a new one.
I have 2 product on my list.
BOSE QC25 or B&O H8.
Which one is better or any model boleh suggest to me?

Thanks in advance!

18 Pages « < 15 16 17 18 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0582sec    1.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st November 2019 - 04:03 PM