Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Engineering Simple Guide to Engineering, Read here first before posting new topic

views

PV boy
post Aug 18 2021, 11:44 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(cvee @ Aug 15 2021, 04:34 PM)
I think there is a oversupply of engineering graduates in malaysian market, if you are not super interested in this field i would suggest to reconsider.

Personally im also in this field and i can see many is suffering from the miserable remuneration packages.
I don't think the engineering field is saturated but many of the graduates do not meet employers' expectation. For example an electrical company interviewing a candidate, that he cannot answer first question of household voltage and frequency then I don't think he will get employed.
iSean
post Aug 18 2021, 05:26 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(PV boy @ Aug 18 2021, 11:44 AM)
I don't think the engineering field is saturated but many of the graduates do not meet employers' expectation. For example an electrical company interviewing a candidate, that he cannot answer first question of household voltage and frequency then I don't think he will get employed.
Answer range within 220~240 Vrms, 50 Hz blink.gif
TNB set it to 230 Vrms? hmm.gif

Anyhow It seems like for Engineering...

Electronics all fly to Penang/Johor/Kulim...
Electrical besides TNB/ABB-Hitachi Power Grid got where to go?

Telco/RF - Ericson, Huawei, Maxis, Celcom, Digi, UMobile....

Semiconductor in Malaysia... enter wrong dept very sien one.

ChipZ
post Aug 23 2021, 11:11 PM

Regular
1,252 posts

If anyone is looking for a job in Intel as a first job, feel free to PM me
jackie2222 P
post Sep 16 2021, 03:00 PM

Probation
2 posts

So I just recently done my A Levels. Now I'm really going through a career dilemma. With my results I can secure a full scholarship from some very decent universities in Asia, esp HK and China—HKU, ZheJiang, ShanghaiJiaoTong—and with some luck even from NTU/NUS for engineering. (Btw, most uni worldwide only look at results for admission and scholarships, they don't care about cocurriculars or interviews, so you look at your results and it's quite easy to determine if you can get a scholarship—providing you apply to quite a few unis.)

Can all the sifus just enlighten me as to how the field of electrical/electronics engineering looking like? What should I expect let's say after I graduate with 4/5 years experience with decent or maybe slightly above average competency? Is it even possible for career advancement without going into the sales side of things?
Cos my A levels is an all science combination, and I do feel that I have more options. But do save the answers like "do what you like", cos from what I know what you like changes fast from what you'll learn.

malcolm89
post Sep 25 2021, 07:58 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

Anyone here enrolled to UTM Space's Part time degree programme?
iSean
post Sep 25 2021, 09:42 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(jackie2222 @ Sep 16 2021, 03:00 PM)
So I just recently done my A Levels. Now I'm really going through a career dilemma. With my results I can secure a full scholarship from some very decent universities in Asia, esp HK and China—HKU, ZheJiang, ShanghaiJiaoTong—and with some luck even from NTU/NUS for engineering. (Btw, most uni worldwide only look at results for admission and scholarships, they don't care about cocurriculars or interviews, so you look at your results and it's quite easy to determine if you can get a scholarship—providing you apply to quite a few unis.)
Can all the sifus just enlighten me as to how the field of electrical/electronics engineering looking like? What should I expect let's say after I graduate with 4/5 years experience with decent or maybe slightly above average competency? Is it even possible for career advancement without going into the sales side of things?
Cos my A levels is an all science combination, and I do feel that I have more options. But do save the answers like "do what you like", cos from what I know what you like changes fast from what you'll learn.
Hmmmm, for Malaysian Electrical and Electronics Engineering Syllabus goes, kinda meh.
Most of the time, people in EEE will either pick Electrical and Electronics as their jobs, else divert the whole 4 year degree do something totally unrelated in Malaysia la.
Malaysia's Semiconductor industry is more focus is more on Manufacturing and Testing.
At most you end up in IC circuit Layout team I guess?
Most of the uni subjects taught in my uni, just memorize theory, and formula, plug in back into equations and solve, that's end of it lah.

Application based not so much even with labs.

So the learning curve for EEE graduates kinda large. Any specific career prospect you are aiming?
Because Malaysian Engineering jobs actually very "technician" grade level.
Hardly involved in R&D process, unless maybe you go to Penang.

If you want to earn quick buck, I think it is sales you need to do and learn la.
Learn to handle and tender projects about RM 100k-300k ones.

If speaking of Electrical, I think maybe Oil and Gas industry? Construction Wiring Design? Again, Electrical route more high risks job la. Pay also equivalent high. But I doubt the R&D process found around here.

This post has been edited by iSean: Sep 25 2021, 09:50 PM
malcolm89
post Oct 3 2021, 08:50 AM

Getting Started
80 posts

Just in case anyone here lurking to find information on part time engineering degree in Malaysia, I've compiled a list, hope this helps!

UTM Space
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

UNIKL Flexilearn

UTEM Part Time

UMP Advanced (Full-time mode as per offer letter but conducted on weekends)

77 Pages « < 75 76 77Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0165sec    0.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:12 PM