Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Disable MSN messenger, from loading during hotmail access

views

TSNickedAsy
post Feb 24 2005, 02:13 AM, updated 20y ago

~: 6-Star Space Marshall :~
1,877 posts

Some of you may have found it irritating(me included) to have msn messenger to run when you're checking your hotmail, primary because you already have Trillian or others running. After googling about with no effect, I decided to play around with my registry using the ideas found during my search.

QUOTE(Me!@here.com.gov.prv.net.my)
Note before continuing:
It has worked on my computer and I am currently having MSN Messenger V6.1 installed.

I don't see any problems(slow down, crash, etc.) so far, but I'm not going to be responsible if anything happens to yours. Make sure you backup your registry, blablabla, before continuing.

1. Start -> Run -> regedit.exe

2. Go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{323C0F99-820A-4e0b-B714-57942C6D9678}\LocalServer32

3. In the (Default) string, rename(recommended)/delete the value.

4. That's it I guess. It shouldn't load anymore. The screenie below shows what I did to my system:

user posted image

--------

If this information has been given out before, or is incorrect/BS, sorry about that... sweat.gif
TSNickedAsy
post Feb 27 2005, 12:13 AM

~: 6-Star Space Marshall :~
1,877 posts

QUOTE(mvtan @ Feb 26 2005, 09:58 AM)
in my pc when i boot it up, the windows messenger automatically logs in but there is no icon displayed on the taskbar
how do i remove this? anyone?
1. Start -> run -> msconfig

2. Go to the startup tab and uncheck "msmsgs"

Or you might want to give this site a try, http://sniptools.com/vault/uninstall-and-r...n-messenger.htm
rebelsoul76
post Feb 27 2005, 02:15 AM

Hakuna matata
2,644 posts

for those interested to remove WINDOWS MESSENGER (not MSN), do this:

Copy and paste the following line into Start>Run

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
AlamakLor
post Feb 27 2005, 12:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

first of all, why do you even bother installing msn messenger when u are not going to use it? kaki "lai si siong sern" to get rid of msn, just uninstall it. laugh.gif

to stop windows messenger to stop popping out. there is only "one" correct, none registry hack method. you need xp pro though.

run -> gpedit.msc -> computer configuration -> admin templates -> windows messenger -> and u know what to do from there.

you can disable many windows components in there, jsut check it out urself.
chris251285
post Jul 3 2005, 01:17 AM

:-� Fly Computer Sales and Services :-�
1,333 posts

wana ask .. if i were to enable wht alamak said .. will i still be able to use MSN 7.0 ? coz my main issue is to remove the messenger installed with the windows ...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:53 AM