13 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Philosophy Feng SHui

views

lin00b
post Feb 23 2010, 10:28 AM

nobody
3,584 posts

i always thought feng shui is based on the recommended place to build your house in ancient times

i.e, it must be at a place of good air circulation, feng (wind) as you dont have fan or air con then (and it can get hot in summer). it must also be at a place of easily available water from spring, river, lake, or well (shui) as they dont have modern piping, tanks, and pumps.

everything else is bs.
robertngo
post Feb 23 2010, 10:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

QUOTE(lin00b @ Feb 23 2010, 10:28 AM)
i always thought feng shui is based on the recommended place to build your house in ancient times

i.e, it must be at a place of good air circulation, feng (wind) as you dont have fan or air con then (and it can get hot in summer). it must also be at a place of easily available water from spring, river, lake, or well (shui) as they dont have modern piping, tanks, and pumps.

everything else is bs.
i will agree with that, it is basically a best practice for architecture in ancient china, which still can be applied today to make a more pleasant living condition. but then there is so much other stuff that are being added into feng shui that are being claimed to be able to change your luck or give you better health which have no fact to back up its claim.
zoakies
post Feb 23 2010, 05:23 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(robertngo @ Feb 22 2010, 01:20 PM)
which scientific study can you provide to prove feng shui have anything other than placebo effect?
I suggest u get a book from Master Joey Yap or Master So Man Foong to understand better on how they Scientifically proven.

robertngo
post Feb 23 2010, 05:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

QUOTE(zoakies @ Feb 23 2010, 05:23 PM)
I suggest u get a book from Master Joey Yap or Master So Man Foong to understand better on how they Scientifically proven.
any research paper by real scientist that can be refer to?
lugiamcg
post Feb 23 2010, 07:22 PM

On my way
640 posts

feng shui...my granny always practices things like 'how to place a certain items around the house'.

For me, I do not believe it...not that i'm disagreeing of its existence. Juz that, I've never got any benefit from it. Not just me, my entire family as well. We alwiz hope for some great fortunes, but still, i don't see any F430 in the garage.

If u're talking about health, my granny still has her diseases...

Safety? Uncle still involve in car accidents yo'.

Sry to say, but with all those things happen in my life, there're no way that i would believe FS.

Some1 gotto change me =D
abubin
post Feb 24 2010, 01:18 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

scientifically proven is a big word. Just because someone claimed to have scientifically proven something doesn't mean it does get scientifically proven. It has to involves scientists acknowledging this proof. Which no FS masters has done.

FS is very much similar to religion. It's all about how convincing the master (preacher) is and how they can smartly link things together that is intangible and then saying smart things when it doesn't work. Just like how religion ask you to first believe in it for it to work. So when it doesn't work, it's your fault cause you did not believe in it. Cause when you already believe in it, you will not be doubting whether it work or not. See...
befitozi
post Feb 24 2010, 03:44 AM

Regular
1,468 posts

QUOTE(zoakies @ Feb 23 2010, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE(robertngo)
any research paper by real scientist that can be refer to?

Pay attention to the bolded and enlarged word.

Random auntie from some random township showing random effects doesn't prove anything

zoakies
post Feb 24 2010, 11:55 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(lugiamcg @ Feb 23 2010, 07:22 PM)
feng shui...my granny always practices things like 'how to place a certain items around the house'.

For me, I do not believe it...not that i'm disagreeing of its existence. Juz that, I've never got any benefit from it. Not just me, my entire family as well. We alwiz hope for some great fortunes, but still, i don't see any F430 in the garage.

If u're talking about health, my granny still has her diseases...

Safety? Uncle still involve in car accidents yo'.

Sry to say, but with all those things happen in my life, there're no way that i would believe FS.

Some1 gotto change me =D
Having accident and health problem is definitely cannot blame it all to feng shui.

BTW, i dont think u need someone to CHANGe you...believe it or not...it's all depend on individual.
cherroy
post Feb 24 2010, 04:37 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

Some Feng Shui is indeed can be based on probability statistic.

For eg. House in front of T-junction has no good Feng Shui.
As probability of a car accidental hit into the house is high based on the mentioned location.
So in this issue, it makes a lot of sense.

While some Feng Shui can lead to 'feel good' effect which can create some placebo effect as well.

Placebo effect actually can be very powerful one which very difficult to explain in word and details.

Just like confidence issue, if one is confidence doing a thing, generally one can perform the task better than without confidence even though one is having enough skill already. Just like in sport, when a player is more confidence, he can delivery 110% of the ability, while confidence low time, schoolboy error also can happen on professional player.

So placebo effect could be identical to the confidence issue mentioned.
lin00b
post Feb 24 2010, 04:58 PM

nobody
3,584 posts

QUOTE(cherroy @ Feb 24 2010, 04:37 PM)
As probability of a car accidental hit into the house is high based on the mentioned location.
citation please
g r a p e k e y
post Feb 25 2010, 02:04 AM

Casual
483 posts

Added on February 25, 2010, 2:10 am

While some Feng Shui can lead to 'feel good' effect which can create some placebo effect as well.

Placebo effect actually can be very powerful one which very difficult to explain in word and details.

Just like confidence issue, if one is confidence doing a thing, generally one can perform the task better than without confidence even though one is having enough skill already. Just like in sport, when a player is more confidence, he can delivery 110% of the ability, while confidence low time, schoolboy error also can happen on professional player.

So placebo effect could be identical to the confidence issue mentioned.
you can say that these are probably called common sense that feng shui adopt

This post has been edited by g r a p e k e y: Feb 25 2010, 02:13 AM
abubin
post Feb 25 2010, 02:50 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

Houses in T-junction or with address no. 44 is all myth or urban legend. Just because all the horror story has been passed down through generations, people start to convinced it is real. But we as human being will still take it at caution even it we are non-believer. We will still avoid staying in t-junction houses because we are kiasu.

We someone shift into t-junction house, some bad accident happened and people blame it on the t-junction. But when accident happen to someone else in another house, maybe the blame is on the house number. People always have things to blame or praise. That's when fengshui comes in handy.
robertngo
post Feb 25 2010, 03:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Feb 25 2010, 02:50 PM)
Houses in T-junction or with address no. 44 is all myth or urban legend. Just because all the horror story has been passed down through generations, people start to convinced it is real. But we as human being will still take it at caution even it we are non-believer. We will still avoid staying in t-junction houses because we are kiasu.

We someone shift into t-junction house, some bad accident happened and people blame it on the t-junction. But when accident happen to someone else in another house, maybe the blame is on the house number. People always have things to blame or praise. That's when fengshui comes in handy.
when you come to think of it, if a car is out of control it could have charge into any house nearby, why do we assume it is going to go straight ahead. the thing that prevent those that dont believe in feng shui but still avoid the house is because of the problem with selling the house later, alot of people will not want this house and thus reduce the price and/or take long time to sell.

human brain always try to find pattern and many time it see connection between to things that are just not related a all.
cherroy
post Feb 25 2010, 04:35 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Feb 25 2010, 02:50 PM)

Yup.
No 44 is myth and hold not much ground. It is more about people 'feel good' factor or placebo effect. Feng Shui can have placebo effect on people as well.

But house at or infront of T-junction definitely has high probability being run into by a car. For eg. a car goes straight that break malfunction, then the probability the car will run into the house in front of T-junction is higher than the road side one.
But there is no guarantee the roadside house won't be run into by car, just the house infront of T-junction, or when car cornering time, the chance of accident is higher than ordinary straight road.
There is no guarantee the house in front of T-junction will run into by car as well. Just may be the probability is higher than the rest.
lin00b
post Feb 25 2010, 04:51 PM

nobody
3,584 posts

QUOTE(cherroy @ Feb 25 2010, 04:35 PM)
Yup.
No 44 is myth and hold not much ground. It is more about people 'feel good' factor or placebo effect. Feng Shui can have placebo effect on people as well.

But house at or infront of T-junction definitely has high probability being run into by a car. For eg. a car goes straight that break malfunction, then the probability the car will run into the house in front of T-junction is higher than the road side one.
But there is no guarantee the roadside house won't be run into by car, just the house infront of T-junction, or when car cornering time, the chance of accident is higher than ordinary straight road.
There is no guarantee the house in front of T-junction will run into by car as well. Just may be the probability is higher than the rest.
again, some fact to base your findings on. what you think is logical is not necessary true. some observation is required showing T-houses have higher accident date than non T-houses. while i dont doubt your logic, its just that
1. the care need to experience brake and/or steering failure;
2. this failure need to occur on a straight road leading to the house atthe junction
3. the driver cant control care properly to stop/evade

given that in most housing area, only residents will be traveling on the road, the speed is relatively slow, modern cars generally experience very few sudden mechanical faulure, etc etc.

it is likely that the accident rate of T houses are only a fraction of a percentage higher than non T-houses for most (a negligible value)
alanyuppie
post Feb 25 2010, 04:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,791 posts

I've read through Feng Shui article in The Star commenting on current hot locations and explain why they are hot by scrutinizing their terrains/land (for eg, Bangsar.. and how the chi flows and made the place hot and desirable yada yada).

Why they only comment in such positive manner ONLY AFTER the place is successful?

Same goes for going into some rich man's house and then justifying his wealth by the way he arrange his furniture/renovate his house or its location. I bet there are many people with similar arrangements still struggling to strike a consolation prize in TOTO.

Same for mole reading too. There are rich aunties out there with "good" moles on their body/face, so some high-priestress of the "molereaderworld" said this justify their wealth and prosperity. And there might be equal number of poor divorced women with moles in similar area of the face/body.

This post has been edited by alanyuppie: Feb 25 2010, 04:57 PM
abubin
post Feb 25 2010, 05:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

it's all about how convincing the person doing the talking. And how insecure the person listening.

BTW, the t-junction myth is not just about cars/lorries/motobikes strucking the house. It's also about people living in t-junction houses will get sick/accident/ill/bad luck and so on. This is the BS I am talking about.

cherroy
post Feb 26 2010, 12:11 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(lin00b @ Feb 25 2010, 04:51 PM)
again, some fact to base your findings on. what you think is logical is not necessary true. some observation is required showing T-houses have higher accident date than non T-houses. while i dont doubt your logic, its just that
1. the care need to experience brake and/or steering failure;
2. this failure need to occur on a straight road leading to the house atthe junction
3. the driver cant control care properly to stop/evade

given that in most housing area, only residents will be traveling on the road, the speed is relatively slow, modern cars generally experience very few sudden mechanical faulure, etc etc.

it is likely that the accident rate of T houses are only a fraction of a percentage higher than non T-houses for most (a negligible value)
Yes, I shared you view on this, but undeniable, in term of statistically, the rate of accident occur with T-house or house at corner is definitely higher than ordinary one, it could be fractionanl or negligible, but surely it is higher.

At cornering time, the rate is accident is definitely higher than driving straight, due to mis-control, poor judgement etc issue.

QUOTE(abubin @ Feb 25 2010, 05:27 PM)
it's all about how convincing the person doing the talking. And how insecure the person listening.

BTW, the t-junction myth is not just about cars/lorries/motobikes strucking the house. It's also about people living in t-junction houses will get sick/accident/ill/bad luck and so on. This is the BS I am talking about.
Ok, I only focus on the probability issue, the rest issue could be more about placebo effect I posted earlier.

Don't look down on placebo effect, it could influence individual quite significantly eventually affect a lot of issue afterwards.
nice.rider
post Feb 26 2010, 01:39 AM

Getting Started
109 posts

FS1: Don't build your kitchen at the West

Explanation:
- Morning sunlight from the East is rather mild, and the heat will not spoil the food (In ancient time, the bacteria concept and its grow and its activity against temperature was unknown during the time), this observation of food against Sun movement was recorded. This statement holds true with or without refrigerator in mind.
- West is where the sun setting, heat accumulated throughout the day and the West spot is always the warmest, which is bad for food.

FS2: Build a house located at the North and facing South, and good to have a wall at the North

Explanation:
- This statement/observation is definitely recorded by people who lived in Northern Hemisphere. During winter time, snow and cold wind blows from the North, a wall built at the North would comes in handy here.
- Facing South means doors are good to be built at South, for the same reason above. Snow, cold wind blows into the house if the doors are built facing North. Inconvenience and bad for health too.

I came across these explanation from some articles on the subject. There are not many books referring to reasoning and scientific explanation on the subject nowadays.

My guess is, if someone publishes a book with this kind of explanation, Feng Shui master would have a hard time selling the concepts anymore. It has evolved from impacts of surrounding to human being towards superstitious on how they could impact your wealth, your love life, your health, your everything.....and without a need of explaining why.

Do this, or buy this crystal, whatever you dream of will come true. You only need to pay a small amount to get what you wish for.....how wonderful the deal is.....

For me, Believe in Feng Shui, yes.....Believe in Feng Shui master...probably not.
lin00b
post Feb 26 2010, 03:21 AM

nobody
3,584 posts

QUOTE(cherroy @ Feb 26 2010, 12:11 AM)
Yes, I shared you view on this, but undeniable, in term of statistically, the rate of accident occur with T-house or house at corner is definitely higher than ordinary one, it could be fractionanl or negligible, but surely it is higher.

At cornering time, the rate is accident is definitely higher than driving straight, due to mis-control, poor judgement etc issue.
Ok, I only focus on the probability issue, the rest issue could be more about placebo effect I posted earlier.

Don't look down on placebo effect, it could influence individual quite significantly eventually affect a lot of issue afterwards.
please understand the meaning of "negligible" before saying surely is higher. also there is no proper study showing that T-houses experiences more accident than non T-house

13 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0237sec    0.58    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:00 PM