Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Electrical Engineer's scope of work

views

SUSkl87
post Dec 7 2009, 05:17 PM, updated 15y ago

Casual
390 posts

I'm now a trainee in a consulting firm , M&E consulting in construction field. As i'm going to graduate after another 10 months, i think now is really a good time for me to think about my future.

Wat i notice, electrical can be divided into few main area

1. construction line

as what i'm doing now ^,^ . from the company i working for (now 2 & 1/2 month of my 3 months industrial training period), related to the construction field, doesn't care is a school , commercial building , supermarket, houses, bangalow, etc, is all the same , just a little difference from technical spec of view.

so wat the electrical engineer really do ? we will do the tender, meet the client requirement , design the electrical distribution line in the building, argue with main contractor, makan minum with m&e contractor, follow up the tender and then "con" the client , submit all the doc to government departments such as tnb , telekom ( this is only the electrical part, there is another mechanical part about the Bomba, water isue ) and wait for their comments , and lastly, going to meeting for argue or being scold by ur client once in a week or two.

don't be afraid, is not much of work, and mostly is about how to communicate with people, and this communication part is the most important one, as we will always go for meeting or finding those authorities. While the technical part is not really big problem (this is wat i think =.='' ) , coz u can gain exp while u going through the project.

And this communication part (or may be to say as "serve people") is the most important part, becoz a project could be last for few years, and u may keep looking at the same people everytime u go for meeting.... so if u are not very "ngam" with that guys , or the guys working attitude are rclxms.gif u will really rclxub.gif

wat skill u nid :

1. Auto-cad (2-d only , draw some line and some legend )
2. Communication skill
3. Leadership (all m&e contractor under u , so u r the boss , must lead them to work together , or else u will DIE )
4. Techinical (always remember the ohm law , V=IR , other than that can learnt through exp)
5. Architect drawing plan (must learn !!! most important part as everything we do will base on it. but nvm , we will familiar with it after some time)
6. Driving skill (must have a car, other company i'm not sure, coz i'm working in a small company, my boss personally go submit those docs to the authorities, and u will always need to go for meeting and site inspection too.)

salary :

from wat i observed, AVERAGE (1.7k - 2k for newbie), but comparing to the workload u gone get whistling.gif whistling.gif
coz a accountant in my company asked me once, after graduating come back here to work, the salary she offered is 1.7k cool2.gif as i joking to ask for increment to 2k, she said she will consider wink.gif
however if u lucky enough to get in those big companies, which the Intel offering 1st-class 3k+ ,and 2nd-class upper 2.8k+, not to mention the o&g field, this salary is LOW.

however, professional job of coz had it's own advantage. if u got exp in this m&e field, and getting the tittle like "Ir" , u can earn alot of $ . Such as my boss here, an Ir, rent a small office, tender a project worth multi-million, just imagine u get it , if oni 1% of the project sum charges, it would be ten of thousand.

correct me if i'm wrong tongue.gif thx

wanna ask anyone work in sales engineer ? how your work being done ? based on comission or salary based?

This post has been edited by kl87: Dec 9 2009, 10:53 AM
nicvoo
post Dec 7 2009, 11:29 PM

N|_|_|B
4,707 posts

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...0&hl=consultant

lol u havent read the above thread
SUSkl87
post Dec 8 2009, 10:08 AM

Casual
390 posts

QUOTE(nicvoo @ Dec 7 2009, 11:29 PM)
yes, i did.

i'm not promoting m&e , while i'm actually not very interested in it . as in the post said, the salary is "too low" and the field is actually dying from what i observed during this 3 months of industrial training .... unless u work in other country , but now .... Dubai is dying too rclxub.gif rclxub.gif

i open this thread is to write down some electrical job of scope , from ur position, to what u actually do during ur work , which can give some clearer pic to others electrical engineer ... and oso to me .

any one like to share their work , would welcome too , such as sales engineer, project engineer , engineer work in factory ,TNB engineer , all welcome .
Sawamura
post Dec 8 2009, 01:56 PM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(kl87 @ Dec 8 2009, 10:08 AM)
yes, i did.

i'm not promoting m&e , while i'm actually not very interested in it . as in the post said, the salary is "too low" and the field is actually dying from what i observed during this 3 months of industrial training .... unless u work in other country , but now .... Dubai is dying too  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif

i open this thread is to write down some electrical job of scope , from ur position, to what u actually do during ur work , which can give some clearer pic to others electrical engineer ... and oso to me .

any one like to share their work , would welcome too , such as sales engineer, project engineer , engineer work in factory ,TNB engineer , all welcome .
I dont think the M&E field is dying. As we all know, in order for a building (any building) to obtain CF, M&E consultant must be on board. smile.gif

Being as an electrical engineer in consultancy (construction) is indeed one of your good option. But one thing, don't narrow your scope to 'e' only. Learn 'm' as well.

I even got a friend who was an electrical consultant before, and now he is working as a project manager in one of the biggest local developer. Thanks to his knowledge in both 'm' & 'e'.

smile.gif
SUSkl87
post Dec 8 2009, 02:36 PM

Casual
390 posts

QUOTE(Sawamura @ Dec 8 2009, 01:56 PM)
I dont think the M&E field is dying. As we all know, in order for a building (any building) to obtain CF, M&E consultant must be on board. smile.gif

Being as an electrical engineer in consultancy (construction) is indeed one of your good option. But one thing, don't narrow your scope to 'e' only. Learn 'm' as well.

I even got a friend who was an electrical consultant before, and now he is working as a project manager in one of the biggest local developer. Thanks to his knowledge in both 'm' & 'e'.

smile.gif
yes , agreed with it nod.gif i oso involved in some "m" works too (maybe coz its a small company, not enough work force shakehead.gif ) . i actually done some drawing, such as the sanitary system ,etc . however , industrial training wouldn't allow me to learn much .

however , i dont think this gone work for some big company, the job will be more specific (my boss tell me one) . maybe ur fren now are "managerial" level ppl , so he maybe leading a team including "e" and "m" , so he will need to know more.

while the m&e field condition , you may read it here
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...0&hl=consultant
the comments from some true engineer , not me "half bottle water" cool2.gif

Sawamura
post Dec 8 2009, 02:53 PM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(kl87 @ Dec 8 2009, 02:36 PM)
however , i dont think this gone work for some big company, the job will be more specific (my boss tell me one) . maybe ur fren now are "managerial" level ppl , so he maybe leading a team including "e" and "m" , so he will need to know more.
Be careful. This is how your boss keep you in his company smile.gif. I hope I can tell you where I'm working now, but trust me, working in big m&e consultant doesn't mean you have to be specific (in your case 'e')

SUSkl87
post Dec 8 2009, 08:20 PM

Casual
390 posts

QUOTE(Sawamura @ Dec 8 2009, 02:53 PM)
Be careful. This is how your boss keep you in his company smile.gif. I hope I can tell you where I'm working now, but trust me, working in big m&e consultant doesn't mean you have to be specific (in your case 'e')
hahaha ,ok i understand wat u mean flex.gif

jus curious , wats the pay for m&e new graduate nowadays ? hmm.gif

Added on December 8, 2009, 9:36 pmfound a thread about TNB http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/818666

we, the electrical engineer , TNB is surely a company very familiar to us.

unfortunately , TNB dominates our country's power supply generation, and distribution . =.='' not as wat i studied , other country would have different power supply company , while here, Malaysia , TNB win !

This post has been edited by kl87: Dec 8 2009, 09:36 PM
nicvoo
post Dec 9 2009, 12:06 AM

N|_|_|B
4,707 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

hahaha u sure o not... house/bungalow mayb the same. commercial building would b totally different from a supermakert unless u telling me u r doin a sundry shop yeah it might be same as house mayb. there r factory designs hospitals medical centers banks lrt stations all totally different design criteria & considerations. u haven even start on the elv yet lol.
lol not much work means u havent even started to really work

communication is part of the skill u need u good in comm suck in technical u r no more then jus a tai chi master.

1. not a mus for eng cos there r draftsman
2. continue doin tat n u r in deep shit
3. depending on type of project
4. lol u still havent been shot with fault calculation, earthing, volt drop v=ir is primary skool stuff.
5. dunno wat u mean
6. all jobs in msia would require u to at least hav a car cos msia public transport suck

salary low but u wont b stuck in a factory all day, u can come out and open a comp as your boss did. i doubt working in intel later u can come out n open a semicon fac plant like intel?

salary for freshie small comp 1.8-2.2k +- bigger come eg meinhardt/ndy might fetch u approx 2.5k+- however this industry have its perks unlike factories u wont get mass retrenchment

getting IR carries responsibilities not syok syok get IR means simply chop n sign n get $$

QUOTE(kl87 @ Dec 8 2009, 10:08 AM)
yes, i did.

i'm not promoting m&e , while i'm actually not very interested in it . as in the post said, the salary is "too low" and the field is actually dying from what i observed during this 3 months of industrial training .... unless u work in other country , but now .... Dubai is dying too  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif

lol dying unless theres a day when your kids dont need to go to skool, u dont need to go shopping or no need for a house everyone living under the stars then mayb yeah m&e consultants will die...so does the archtects, qs, civil eng, contractors etc.

QUOTE(Sawamura @ Dec 8 2009, 01:56 PM)

smile.gif
knowladge in both m&e is jus one of the criteria.......u mus b well versed in which ever field u r learnin the other is jus for your own knowledge

QUOTE(kl87 @ Dec 8 2009, 08:20 PM)
hahaha ,ok i understand wat u mean 

jus curious , wats the pay for m&e new graduate nowadays ? 

Added on December 8, 2009, 9:36 pmfound a thread about TNB http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/818666

we, the electrical engineer , TNB is surely a company very familiar to us.

unfortunately , TNB dominates our country's power supply generation, and distribution . not as wat i studied , other country would have different power supply company , while here, Malaysia , TNB win !
yes they hav for example singapore however normal users like u n me still cant choose only ppl who r takin in HT r able to choose so no diff then msia

Gary1981
post Dec 9 2009, 12:24 AM

Regular
1,610 posts

TS!

Have you heard before a consultant owner said they havent collect their money after years & years. Do you know it require broad network to secure millions dollar project tender?

Sales engineer is commision base. Typically its a sales job with target to achieve.
SUSkl87
post Dec 9 2009, 10:46 AM

Casual
390 posts

thx , finally a real consultant come and give oppinion

my purpose of having this thread is to give a clearer view to other ppl. be4 my industrial training started, all my fren were jus talking about factory work , intel , amd , freescale , etc. and no one is interested in working in other sector , such as sales engineer, tnb ,sub-con, project management, construction line. maybe it is becoz my course of study is bachelor (hons) electrical and electronic

they actually think that working in TNB is something like government servent kind of work , low pay, no future. even when i tell my fren i'm working in a m&e firm , they oso dont knw wat is that. mybe they still think it is a factory name.

after having all these, i actually have a dilemme , and quite lose on my path. so i opened this thread to help out those electrical and oso the electronic engineer , you still have another choice despite just working inside a factory , and some of the jobs are actually quite gooooood pay .

yes, some of the things i wrote maybe wrong , i'll fix it . pls don't shoot me, as wat i write is only wat i observed. purely my own oppinion.

1. i have a different oppinion on this, i do think that auto-cad is something we all must learn, especially working as a m&e engineer, even my boss draw it themselves. so, we as freshie, this is important skill.

2. hahaha, i admit , this is something we should not be praticing. however, i'm not saying we should do something illegal , just u as a consultant , u oso know the working environment nvm, i'll take it off. always heard a lot of story from my boss,

3. yes, is depends .... human factor play a vital part in it. been to a big project meeting with my boss, sad to see him always "shoot"ed by client's side of ppl.

4. yes, i do agree, technical part shall not be easy as i thought. maybe i'm senang now , becoz the work load all taken by my boss. i oni do some simple calculation.

5. i mean those "architect drawing "/"plan" is hard to "see". i don't know about you, but i never touch a real "plan" be4, never the least , now working will require me to analyze it, be4 we can start drawing so, anyone wish to join this sector, better equip urself with this skill. however u have a good supervisor, it shouldn't be a problem.

6. i don't own a car and not planning to buy it within few years time, and i absolutely disagree with u saying that every working ppl must own a car. public transport carries 3m+ people everyday(sourse of newspaper), if half of it are adult and own a car to work everyday, we will be happily stuck in traffic jam forever. actually wat i mentioned above there, is to explain this is a job require u to travel alot, site checking , meetings , etc, if the salary is low and not covering the petrol ....

salary low but u wont b stuck in a factory all day, u can come out and open a comp as your boss did. i doubt working in intel later u can come out n open a semicon fac plant like intel?

agree !!! advantages of being a professional !

salary for freshie small comp 1.8-2.2k +- bigger come eg meinhardt/ndy might fetch u approx 2.5k+- however this industry have its perks unlike factories u wont get mass retrenchment
not sure about this, anyone to clarify but 2.5k for me a freshie , is more then enough

getting IR carries responsibilities not syok syok get IR means simply chop n sign n get $$
lol dying unless theres a day when your kids dont need to go to skool, u dont need to go shopping or no need for a house everyone living under the stars then mayb yeah m&e consultants will die...so does the archtects, qs, civil eng, contractors etc.
knowladge in both m&e is jus one of the criteria.......u mus b well versed in which ever field u r learnin the other is jus for your own knowledge

but the true is that, $ become harder to collect (the thing my boss always marah) , so no bonuses and project always stop suddenly . the salary oso lower compare to other, but can go fly high ..... if oni u got exp and quality which may take u years of time.

yes they hav for example singapore however normal users like u n me still cant choose only ppl who r takin in HT r able to choose so no diff then msia
ok thx for ur info.

and sorry for my broken english

QUOTE(Gary1981 @ Dec 9 2009, 12:24 AM)
TS!

Have you heard before a consultant owner said they havent collect their money after years & years. Do you know it require broad network to secure millions dollar project tender?

Sales engineer is commision base. Typically its a sales job with target to achieve.
yes. my boss always yelling about the payment (i sit beside him, heard a lot of his complain) . while i checked some old files , there are actually few project being stopped suddenly, and thats mean no BONUS and low salary tongue.gif

bro , r u sales engineer? damn can earn alot , commision based then even 1% of the sales would thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by kl87: Dec 9 2009, 11:48 AM
Gary1981
post Dec 9 2009, 03:58 PM

Regular
1,610 posts

I was into sales line before. You dont just measure the percentage, if i tell you insurance commision is 36%, then your eye will drop on the floor? You need to know you product price of sale and also your product market position. (ex. stationaries & compressor).. A bulk sale of stationaries may consume you abt few thousand sales value. But a unit compressor sales at 10k to 1 million of product sales/unit.

In short, what is your concern about open this tread?
babychai
post Dec 11 2009, 01:20 AM

I go to work because my name is not in Forbes list
779 posts

i working as sales engineer now. but my company din set target for every salesman. juz make sure muz close sales for certain potential customer...ofcoz got pressure also la.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.21    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:52 AM